TForce | UPS Freight Driver Dies In Accident At The St Louis Service Center

My thoughts go out to all involved in this accident.
The first thing that comes to my mind with an accident like this is that with all the time studying and pressure of getting things done in such a short unrealistic amount of time, more traggic accidents will follow. Our false saftey program will not stop accidents from happening when everyone is rushing around, Instead of paying attention and getting the job done safe and right.

Something tells me though within time things will change, I am sure UPS will make things hard for the TM after this if he is still there......And everyone under him... It just really suck's that it takes something like this too bring issues too lite.....

Not to put blame anywhere;in times past it has been infered that the hostlers have jurisdiction over everyone else(rite of way)usually in yards where the hostlers do all the hooks but since and now presently it seems that every yard has everyone hooking their `own` sets , (sometimes as many as 7 or 8 drivers) and a couple hostlers doing their thing as well, I view this as extremely dangerous as we do and will get in each others way.Sometimes rushing to get out of each others way...This needs to STOP...either have the hostlers do all yard work, have dispatch actually dispatch with gaps between each driver to avoid the RUSH to hooks, and perhaps better lighting in the yards..Vests, speed limits,driving lites mounted low on the goat and and more! Deepest regards to all having to bear this unpleasant event; (that really includes all of us at UPSF) and their families.

God bless the families of all invoved here. Prayers & condolences go out to all."When the company harps on safety,than sets time limits on performance they are contradicting themselves." Well said , Apostolistic !

God bless the families of all invoved here. Prayers & condolences go out to all."When the company harps on safety,than sets time limits on performance they are contradicting themselves." Well said , Apostolistic !

Ditto, One thing I have never been able to understand is having a dock worker in a jockey or tractor moving trailers in the yard with no CDL. I have asked this question in quarterly meetings, back when we had them, and always got the same answer. If they are on company property they don't need one. That is all well and good but they have no safety training, why? I know OVNT would be ok with this but I am suprised this still goes on with UPS. I am on the safety commitee at my small north eastern terminal. I really bought in to the safety spiel in January, but lately it seems all anyone cares about is production. Honestly, thanx for the diads, great tool to ride my butt and yell and scream over going over a minute on my punch out. It's ok in the AM if I can't get out of the yard in 20 min. on my pedal to put the thing in delay for the shop. I have had my diad in delay for shop before I have even got in my tractor. But God fordid if I am over at night droping my trailer, well I am stealing time. This is subject to desciplinary action up to and including termination. Great system we have here. We have some guys actually punching out and finishing paper work on their own time.
Management says that's just the way it is and safety in Richmond says there is nothing they can do. Well I say bring on the horses!
If the vests and the cross walks are so important to safety why doesn't every terminal have them now! Walk the walk UPS Freight, the lip service aint cuttin it!

I watched the news clip from the scene, I was shocked by the lack of lighting in the yard. I was barely able to see how many people (shadows of people)were walking around in the area while the emergency vehicles with their flashing lights and news crew were there. In my opinion "Our company" needs more jockeys so the driver dont have to go in the yard to preform the job of a jockey.it would be safer for jockeys and drivers.

i was in kansas this week,
to all the knew him and his family please know how sorry i am.

we have all done dumb things in the yard, but nothing in that yard or the office is worth dieing over.

After hearing the events of this accident on the internet news story.
I can see how this jokey could of been not paying attention to anyone walking in the yard.

A simple thing like not having the right trailer number to hook to could of caused this.

But the time factor is the biggest thing.
He must have been in a hurry,and looking for trailer numbers his sight line would of been focused high looking for the trailer number he needed on the top corners of our trailers.

But the guy that died walking must have been focused on something other than watching the path of this jokey?

None of us will ever know what he was thinking,or why he was where he was.
This was just a very tragic accident,and hopfully the lessons learned from this will keep everyone in our company safe,so this can never happen again.

As far as timing people that operate heavy equipment the only thing that comes to mind is the old saying.
(HASTE,MAKES WASTE)

Not to put blame anywhere;in times past it has been infered that the hostlers have jurisdiction over everyone else(rite of way)usually in yards where the hostlers do all the hooks but since and now presently it seems that every yard has everyone hooking their `own` sets , (sometimes as many as 7 or 8 drivers) and a couple hostlers doing their thing as well, I view this as extremely dangerous as we do and will get in each others way.Sometimes rushing to get out of each others way...This needs to STOP...either have the hostlers do all yard work, have dispatch actually dispatch with gaps between each driver to avoid the RUSH to hooks, and perhaps better lighting in the yards..Vests, speed limits,driving lites mounted low on the goat and and more! Deepest regards to all having to bear this unpleasant event; (that really includes all of us at UPSF) and their families.

SLC is the sameway...You have to watch your butt...I do not understand this, hooking our own sets.....At MC we never did unless the hostler was way backed up....Way too many people trying to share the same real-estate...

After hearing the events of this accident on the internet news story.
I can see how this jokey could of been not paying attention to anyone walking in the yard.

A simple thing like not having the right trailer number to hook to could of caused this.

But the time factor is the biggest thing.
He must have been in a hurry,and looking for trailer numbers his sight line would of been focused high looking for the trailer number he needed on the top corners of our trailers.

But the guy that died walking must have been focused on something other than watching the path of this jokey?

None of us will ever know what he was thinking,or why he was where he was.
This was just a very tragic accident,and hopfully the lessons learned from this will keep everyone in our company safe,so this can never happen again.

As far as timing people that operate heavy equipment the only thing that comes to mind is the old saying.
(HASTE,MAKES WASTE)

It is very important that drivers and jockeys drive slow in all yards. Both drivers and jockeys are looking up at trailer numbers to find there trailer. Anyone can step out of anywhere in the path of a truck while the driver is looking up at the trailer numbers. All it takes is a split second.

I agree with you BusterNite the speed limit is only 5 mph in my terminal,once you pass our gate at the street slow down.
But if you are being timed in your work duties,and are getting behind,or are given more than you can handle.
Than something has to go for you to catch up.
So what I'm saying is when you have to pick up the pace to get your job done,than you have to perform your work duties faster,which causes a safety issue.
The faster you have to go the less focus you will have to do everything safe.

You guys know I haven't been here long but I'll say this. In the larger hubs I've been to, (SOH,CMS), the yard is friggin nuts and every man for himself. It was only a matter of time before something tragic happened. If they want it done safely then it has to be done slower. If they slow it down, the only way to keep up is have more jockeys so they arent as rushed. After the accident I noticed CMS jockey's were way more careful and slower. But the trailers in the drop yard were were not getting cleaned up as fast. These guys can only do so much. I'm afraid that once the pain from this accident wans we will be right back where we were, too fast. My sympathies to the driver, his family, and also the jockey.

You guys know I haven't been here long but I'll say this. In the larger hubs I've been to, (SOH,CMS), the yard is friggin nuts and every man for himself. It was only a matter of time before something tragic happened. If they want it done safely then it has to be done slower. If they slow it down, the only way to keep up is have more jockeys so they arent as rushed. After the accident I noticed CMS jockey's were way more careful and slower. But the trailers in the drop yard were were not getting cleaned up as fast. These guys can only do so much. I'm afraid that once the pain from this accident wans we will be right back where we were, too fast. My sympathies to the driver, his family, and also the jockey.

True, But this is how I look at it. The hell with anyone's time frames. I will go at a safe pace. I don't get paid by the hour so its to my benefit to get it done as quick as possable. But, on the other hand I would never want to be in the shoe's of that yard jockey. To have to live the rest of your life knowing that this probably could have been avoided no matter who was at fault. Not to mention the loss of a job, Possable law suits, Ect. There is way to much going on at these break bulks and even the smaller terminals makes it hard to navigate around the yard in the dark. People running around every where, Dolly's dropped anywhere, Trucks coming at every direction. There is only one cure, GO VERY SLOW. I am always at a crawl in any yard. And there is always someone flying by me. All I can say is, It just takes one split second to destroy two lives.

I agree with you BusterNite the speed limit is only 5 mph in my terminal,once you pass our gate at the street slow down.
But if you are being timed in your work duties,and are getting behind,or are given more than you can handle.
Than something has to go for you to catch up.
So what I'm saying is when you have to pick up the pace to get your job done,than you have to perform your work duties faster,which causes a safety issue.
The faster you have to go the less focus you will have to do everything safe.

As long as employee's obey all laws and yard speed limits, We make the chances of a tragic accident much smaller. We may not be going fast enough for managment. But we are still the captains of our ships. Big company's always have much higher unrealistic time frames and proffit numbers. The bottom line is, It won't be managment that comes under fire when someone gets hurt or when someone gets into an accident. As a matter of fact, They will say you were going to fast, YOUR FIRED!!!!

As long as employee's obey all laws and yard speed limits, We make the chances of a tragic accident much smaller. We may not be going fast enough for managment. But we are still the captains of our ships. Big company's always have much higher unrealistic time frames and proffit numbers. The bottom line is, It won't be managment that comes under fire when someone gets hurt or when someone gets into an accident. As a matter of fact, They will say you were going to fast, YOUR FIRED!!!!

I think you can bet your bottom dollar that something of a ripple effect will come out of this that will effect us all, considering the fact that OSHA, and UPS is involved with this. I give it 3 mths.

I'd like to see our company publish all accident reports for our freight division.
With evaluations,and recomandations to prevent them in the future.
This would be a written report to be posted in our drivers rooms at all of our terminals.

Then we will see how profitable it is to speed up our operation,by placing time limits on our every day work activities.

When I was sent to the driver safety training certification training,last August.
The focus was on total safety over production.
Because of the costs that are involved with any preventable accident.

So now what has changed?

Have we gone back to production first safety second?

Ive always said in the LTL trucking idustry you cant use Quanity,and Quality in the same sentence.
You can have one,or the other,but both won't work.

Oh yes,for the most part that's the case or so it seems .Numbers ,numbers always numbers ,oh and they better be the right numbers or heads will roll!!!

One thing you need to know is that the jockey had been fired once for carelessness and reinstated by a peer review board. OOP's,
Even so, Tragic!, Bob was a very good guy, almost retired.We just need to be more carefull, no matter what the company wants us to do.

One thing you need to know is that the jockey had been fired once for carelessness and reinstated by a peer review board. OOP's,
Even so, Tragic!, Bob was a very good guy, almost retired.We just need to be more carefull, no matter what the company wants us to do.

You know something, a wise man once said a nose picker will alway's be a nose picker.

If this man was truely careless, and I am not blamming anyone mind you, I wonder if it hit home... Only he will know...

Somewhere I brought this topic up before and how I feel about a bias peer review board with company employee's. But thats another whole thread.:smilie_132: