SAIA | Voluntary Furlough

Mogotron

TB Lurker
Credits
Hello, I am new on the forum, and in my Terminal I been offered voluntary furlough by my TM.

now it has been kind of slow here and they been asking for volunteers to stay home maybe 2 or 3 days out of the week on a consistent basis.

out of those days I probably volunteer for 2 of them as long as those days are not on the same pay period.

I am lucky enough that I can afford to miss days without pay, I still have a week personal and a week vacation left.

my question is, should I go for the voluntary furlough? You guys think that that would look bad? Will they call me back?

letter says I am able to collect unemployment benefits as well.

thanks.

Lots of differing opinions on this issue. You’ll have to check the unemployment laws in your state. In some states, the term “furlough” makes you ineligible for unemployment. If you accept a voluntary furlough now, your days at Saia are done. You won’t get a call back anytime soon.

if I were you, I would keep doing what you are doing currently. There’s too many uncertainties in the economy and the company itself is worried about its bottom line. They do not have your best interests in mind. If they did, they would just terminate you outright which would automatically qualify you for unemployment in all states. The devil is in the details. Good luck.

If it were me, I would work as much as they allowed, and sign up on my short weeks, regardless of my personal financial situation.

Full disclosure: I do not work at Saia. This is simply my advice to you from my personal point of view with twenty one years experience in this business. Good luck and welcome to truckingboards.

Lots of differing opinions on this issue. You’ll have to check the unemployment laws in your state. In some states, the term “furlough” makes you ineligible for unemployment. If you accept a voluntary furlough now, your days at Saia are done. You won’t get a call back anytime soon.

if I were you, I would keep doing what you are doing currently. There’s too many uncertainties in the economy and the company itself is worried about its bottom line. They do not have your best interests in mind. If they did, they would just terminate you outright which would automatically qualify you for unemployment in all states. The devil is in the details. Good luck.

thank you for your response, I will keep doing what I’m doing now.

If it were me, I would work as much as they allowed, and sign up on my short weeks, regardless of my personal financial situation.

Full disclosure: I do not work at Saia. This is simply my advice to you from my personal point of view with twenty one years experience in this business. Good luck and welcome to truckingboards.[/QUOTE

yes I will not sign up for furlough and keep doing what I’m doing now. Thank You.

SAIA is itching to trim some fat right now so I wouldn’t hand them a free meal ticket. With that being said, you can call it what ever, if your not working now because you volunteered not to, your Chances of coming back are slim. Keep working and take your lumps. You can be axed at any time as it is, for any reason.

Kind of f*** up, the letter itself says that they will call you back when business picks up.
I've got to go with not taking a voluntary furlough. I wouldn't trust the TM to bring you back. Let everyone rotate and take the lumps of a few days off.

Yep have seen that letter that talks about voluntary leave of absence. Several drivers have taken it for a few weeks and are back at work. Where does it say they will call you back when business picks back up ?
I get what your saying now, and no, I haven’t seen that and never will.

I don’t have a dog in this fight but this deal seems like common sense if you think about it. The company is looking to protect its bottom line. In order to do that, they ask drivers (managers? Doubt it) to take furlough with the explanation verbally that they will call you when they are ready for you to return. So, what happens when that day doesn’t come? How long is long enough for anyone to stay at home rather than seek other employment? And, generally speaking, the company could just hire a new driver to start out at a lower pay and benefits level once business picks up. You took the voluntary furlough and essentially did the company a favor by cutting your own throat. This is not a good situation folks. I implore you to reject this type of thing. If they really cared for your well-being, they would just do a RIF and then you’d be eligible for unemployment.

I don’t have a dog in this fight but this deal seems like common sense if you think about it. The company is looking to protect its bottom line. In order to do that, they ask drivers (managers? Doubt it) to take furlough with the explanation verbally that they will call you when they are ready for you to return. So, what happens when that day doesn’t come? How long is long enough for anyone to stay at home rather than seek other employment? And, generally speaking, the company could just hire a new driver to start out at a lower pay and benefits level once business picks up. You took the voluntary furlough and essentially did the company a favor by cutting your own throat. This is not a good situation folks. I implore you to reject this type of thing. If they really cared for your well-being, they would just do a RIF and then you’d be eligible for unemployment.

I have not taken it nor I will, another driver did tho.