SAIA | Voluntary Furlough

Is that the one that serves as airport parking now visible from 85?

It's right on 85 at Little Rock, haven't been by there in years, don't know what is there now.
It was by far the largest in Akers heyday.
Seems to me there was a Holiday Inn across Little Rock rd, can't remember for sure.

Hello, I am new on the forum, and in my Terminal I been offered voluntary furlough by my TM.

now it has been kind of slow here and they been asking for volunteers to stay home maybe 2 or 3 days out of the week on a consistent basis.

out of those days I probably volunteer for 2 of them as long as those days are not on the same pay period.

I am lucky enough that I can afford to miss days without pay, I still have a week personal and a week vacation left.

my question is, should I go for the voluntary furlough? You guys think that that would look bad? Will they call me back?

letter says I am able to collect unemployment benefits as well.

thanks.
I wouldn't do it, in the couple years I have with Saia I have learned quite a bit, and one is dont give them any opportunities to get rid of you, I don't care how good you are or how long you have been there, if they need to trim fat, they will do it no matter who it is, I don't post much here but I do read what the more senior Saia drivers say on here and usually 9 times out of 10 they are right.

Just so everyone knows I’m not a lot lizard this isn’t a joke n this :::shit::: ain’t stupid I thought just maybe whoever the hell this man is wld like his ring back so if u don’t know him y comment if u do know him tell him we’re it’s at ... that simple
If my wife would have posted my phone # , name and place of employment for a material object, I would have went off the deep end. That was reckless and you should have just said, contact me. Your safety on a public social website is far more important than ANY animate object. Your good deed is appreciated I’m sure but foolish imo. Good luck, I hope some wack job hack doesn’t call your phone for the next 5 years. :clapping:I’m done with this!

Hello, I am new on the forum, and in my Terminal I been offered voluntary furlough by my TM.

now it has been kind of slow here and they been asking for volunteers to stay home maybe 2 or 3 days out of the week on a consistent basis.

out of those days I probably volunteer for 2 of them as long as those days are not on the same pay period.

I am lucky enough that I can afford to miss days without pay, I still have a week personal and a week vacation left.

my question is, should I go for the voluntary furlough? You guys think that that would look bad? Will they call me back?

letter says I am able to collect unemployment benefits as well.

thanks.
Too the drivers with no work ethic or the ones who are just plain old trash, keep doing what you're doing, don't write up any defects on the Vnomics, continue to leaving your fellow driver screwed, do everything you can to make your day shorter at another driver's expense, and by all means, enjoy your extra 10 minutes that you saved by not doing your job. My hope is, eventually the trash will be taken out!

Too the drivers with no work ethic or the ones who are just plain old trash, keep doing what you're doing, don't write up any defects on the Vnomics, continue to leaving your fellow driver screwed, do everything you can to make your day shorter at another driver's expense, and by all means, enjoy your extra 10 minutes that you saved by not doing your job. My hope is, eventually the trash will be taken out!
Don't forget leaving a relay set with a flat or blow out, one of the most easiest and obvious things to catch on a post trip, but there are drivers here who still manage to do it.

I don’t know wtf you are talking about, if you think I am one of those drivers you are mistaken, I guess you one of those that complaints about everything instead of just doing it.

Don't forget leaving a relay set with a flat or blow out, one of the most easiest and obvious things to catch on a post trip, but there are drivers here who still manage to do it.
I'm confused, nothing new there. Your relay man brought you a flat and you're mad or someone left a relay site with a flat?

I'm confused, nothing new there. Your relay man brought you a flat and you're mad or someone left a relay site with a flat?
I was on systems at the time but they left a relay set in the yard that had sat for about 4 hours by the time I got there off my 10 at the hotel, I came off PC and went to on duty, hooked and started my pre trip, sure enough my hammer made that familiar thud of a flat, turns out the inner sidewall was blown out, they had to call a vendor to replace it, cost about three hours, Saia made good on the delay so no complaints there, I was set up to go to SAN and HST, this happened in ODS, made it to SAN but not HST, the delay pay was cool, but as you know you always make more when rolling that's all, on meet though I completely understand, can't do much about thst.

I was on systems at the time but they left a relay set in the yard that had sat for about 4 hours by the time I got there off my 10 at the hotel, I came off PC and went to on duty, hooked and started my pre trip, sure enough my hammer made that familiar thud of a flat, turns out the inner sidewall was blown out, they had to call a vendor to replace it, cost about three hours, Saia made good on the delay so no complaints there, I was set up to go to SAN and HST, this happened in ODS, made it to SAN but not HST, the delay pay was cool, but as you know you always make more when rolling that's all, on meet though I completely understand, can't do much about thst.
I see your point and that would fire me up, too. However, the bright side is SAN has a hotel and HST has that awful bunk house. If I had a choice San wins hands down.

I see your point and that would fire me up, too. However, the bright side is SAN has a hotel and HST has that awful bunk house. If I had a choice San wins hands down.
Those days are behind me for now, I am on a bid now, but at that time Drac I was always open to going to new places, and always was trying to see how far away from home they would send me, both SAN and HST were new destinations for me, but since you mentioned the bunk houses yeah didn't miss anything there, the bunk rooms at ODS remind me of military barracks rooms, congrats on retirement by the way.

Those days are behind me for now, I am on a bid now, but at that time Drac I was always open to going to new places, and always was trying to see how far away from home they would send me, both SAN and HST were new destinations for me, but since you mentioned the bunk houses yeah didn't miss anything there, the bunk rooms at ODS remind me of military barracks rooms, congrats on retirement by the way.

Let me tell you about the old days, 1955 bunk room in Atl. was under the office, 20 men in one room sleeping on single army bunks.
You heard high heels stomping, gang boards banging on the dock all time.
When the dispatcher wanted a driver, he stuck his head in the door and hollered your name, waking everyone.,
Later at the old Empire hotel in Birm. I heard a noise one night, grabbed my gun from my handbag, flipped on the light to see a 7in
cockroach trying to get a piece of cheese away from a rat.
I'm sure things are bad but you guys have come a long way.

Thank you. If you where still, in the adventurous mood, I could tell you two ways to see the world, on Saia's dime. You could call Central and ask Janet to send you out and away. I've known drivers that she obliged. The easiest way was to **** Janet off and boom you where on your way to Seattle, Washington. if you really pissed her off, say hello to Dallas and the gulag Bunkhouse.

Let me tell you about the old days, 1955 bunk room in Atl. was under the office, 20 men in one room sleeping on single army bunks.
You heard high heels stomping, gang boards banging on the dock all time.
When the dispatcher wanted a driver, he stuck his head in the door and hollered your name, waking everyone.,
Later at the old Empire hotel in Birm. I heard a noise one night, grabbed my gun from my handbag, flipped on the light to see a 7in
cockroach trying to get a piece of cheese away from a rat.
I'm sure things are bad but you guys have come a long way.
No the bunk rooms in ODS are not bad, they just remind me of the two man living quarters I lived in when I was in the Marines in the 90s, of course the ODS rooms are one man though.

Thank you. If you where still, in the adventurous mood, I could tell you two ways to see the world, on Saia's dime. You could call Central and ask Janet to send you out and away. I've known drivers that she obliged. The easiest way was to **** Janet off and boom you where on your way to Seattle, Washington. if you really pissed her off, say hello to Dallas and the gulag Bunkhouse.
That's funny, I actually had the good fortune of getting the heads up warning about Janet when I first started, so I never had any confrontations with her or any of the others actually, I just did what they told me to do, I was low maintenance and never asked or demanded anything, in a ironic twist though there was one time Janet was going to send me to DLS and then she made a last minute decision to send me homeward bound instead, maybe someone else had pissed her off by some miracle, DLS was one that I never made to either.

That's funny, I actually had the good fortune of getting the heads up warning about Janet when I first started, so I never had any confrontations with her or any of the others actually, I just did what they told me to do, I was low maintenance and never asked or demanded anything, in a ironic twist though there was one time Janet was going to send me to DLS and then she made a last minute decision to send me homeward bound instead, maybe someone else had pissed her off by some miracle, DLS was one that I never made to either.
Don't get me wrong, I loved working for her. She was my day 1 dispatcher and my last day dispatcher. In 20+ years, we never had a disagreement and I even met her once. Even though I was a bid driver, I wouldn't hesitate to help her out, even, if it meant going to the gulag.
It takes a lot to upset her but brother, beware, if you do.

Don't get me wrong, I loved working for her. She was my day 1 dispatcher and my last day dispatcher. In 20+ years, we never had a disagreement and I even met her once. Even though I was a bid driver, I wouldn't hesitate to help her out, even, if it meant going to the gulag.
She has been my dispatcher since day 1 for me also 15+ years.... When I was system driver she would call me sometimes on Monday night and ask me how I ended up somewhere ….. Memphis, Little Rock, etc.... You was suppose to cover CCI, HRL, SAN, or LAR vacation that week, I didn't know? Weekend Central Dispatch would send you wherever.

That's why I was kind of surprised after the first time I dealt with her, after all the hype, when I got off the phone with her I was like shes nice, what's the big deal? When I first started I mainly had David or Rebecca, both were really good to me, Rebecca got moved to days I believe and I have no idea what happened to David, then I started working with Wayne mainly ,he is a good guy also, the more occasional dispatchers I had were Ryan, Aaron, Canard, Cotton, Ron, and Aubrey or Autrey atleast that's what it sounds like when he says it, all good no issues with any of em.

That's why I was kind of surprised after the first time I dealt with her, after all the hype, when I got off the phone with her I was like shes nice, what's the big deal? When I first started I mainly had David or Rebecca, both were really good to me, Rebecca got moved to days I believe and I have no idea what happened to David, then I started working with Wayne mainly ,he is a good guy also, the more occasional dispatchers I had were Ryan, Aaron, Canard, Cotton, Ron, and Aubrey or Autrey atleast that's what it sounds like when he says it, all good no issues with any of em.
Bob and Rufus were the best.....Bob retired and I haven't talk to Rufus in months. Janet & Lola is mostly who I talk to in the HST region.