FedEx Freight | Wal-Mart starting drivers at $110k,AND paying for them to get their CDL.

In 1972, on my second cross-country motorcycle trip (this one with my then gal-friend), we were planning on staying overnight at a campground near Newhall, CA before reaching LA. We couldn't locate the supposed campground and when we stopped for gas at a Shell station there the owner offered us use of a station wagon behind the building as a place to sleep overnight. So that's where we spent the night.

Next day we toured Universal Studios. On the way in to see live broadcast of Robert Q. Lewis radio broadcast they asked each audience member to write on an index card the most unusual thing that happened recently. Of course I wrote that we spent the previous night in an old car. Needless to say I was called up to the microphone to tell my story which I nervously managed to get out without fumbling too badly. :smile new:
Do you recall Robert Q's sponsor?

Money does you no good if your never home , wasted to much of life at work and never being home and many drivers can relate to this missing your Kids events & wife leaving you for never being home ! Choose Home life over money before your kids are grown up & gone ...................
That's the choice I made a few years ago and no regrets. I'll take my 80-85k a year. Home for dinner every night and weekends off before I live in a truck and work every weekend.

That's the choice I made a few years ago and no regrets. I'll take my 80-85k a year. Home for dinner every night and weekends off before I live in a truck and work every weekend.
They are going to have to pay a lot more for the sacrifice of life. That's why there is a trucker shortage for the current rates they are willing to pay. Start compensating for the sacrifice, shortage goes away.

You are referring to most all truckload carriers then. They all have,”strings attached “, gimmicks to their pay formula.
As soon as you see, comprehensive benefits, could, make up to this much $$, detention pay after 2 hours, 1099 pay, or 1 of my favorites, New Pay Scale. Run away from there.

You are referring to most all truckload carriers then. They all have,”strings attached “, gimmicks to their pay formula.
As soon as you see, comprehensive benefits, could, make up to this much $$, detention pay after 2 hours, 1099 pay, or 1 of my favorites, New Pay Scale. Run away from there.
And that's why they need to get rid of the Fair Labor Standards Act loophole for truckers. Pay for every hour a driver spends in the truck, on a dock, fueling, pre-tripping and post-tripping, etc., Make carriers have to abide by federal minimum wage and overtime laws!

Watch drivers actually stay in trucking then. Because the problem isn't a lack of drivers -- somewhere around 100k new CDLs are issued every year lately -- the problem is a lack of driver retention.

The repeal of the 1933 prohibition against time and half pay over 40 hours to trucking industry specifically.

I made some money some years, but its less than half what we could have averaged. What part of we are at work waiting do they not understand?

Thats one of the biggest reasons I say there is no money in trucking. When I got into Pharmacy, zero waiting. Reloading back to shipper in 40 minutes never leave the cab for security etc. Drop hook etc. money overflowing at that point. But too little too late.

About 2000 filing year wife and I did 7350 hours in that truck logged, as being more than 125 air miles away from home on the job in the tractor trailer. 50 some odd days off either at home or in a hotel somewhere.

We grossed 70K together. Thats about 4.55 or so a hour for every single one of those 7350 or so hours on the job. FOR TWO drivers as filed. FFE made out like a bandit. They paid me salary of 2000 gross, her 320 something gross but ran miles upwards of 6200 every 6 days.

And that's why they need to get rid of the Fair Labor Standards Act loophole for truckers. Pay for every hour a driver spends in the truck, on a dock, fueling, pre-tripping and post-tripping, etc., Make carriers have to abide by federal minimum wage and overtime laws!

Watch drivers actually stay in trucking then. Because the problem isn't a lack of drivers -- somewhere around 100k new CDLs are issued every year lately -- the problem is a lack of driver
The repeal of the 1933 prohibition against time and half pay over 40 hours to trucking industry specifically.

I made some money some years, but its less than half what we could have averaged. What part of we are at work waiting do they not understand?

Thats one of the biggest reasons I say there is no money in trucking. When I got into Pharmacy, zero waiting. Reloading back to shipper in 40 minutes never leave the cab for security etc. Drop hook etc. money overflowing at that point. But too little too late.

About 2000 filing year wife and I did 7350 hours in that truck logged, as being more than 125 air miles away from home on the job in the tractor trailer. 50 some odd days off either at home or in a hotel somewhere.

We grossed 70K together. Thats about 4.55 or so a hour for every single one of those 7350 or so hours on the job. FOR TWO drivers as filed. FFE made out like a bandit. They paid me salary of 2000 gross, her 320 something gross but ran miles upwards of 6200 every 6 days.
That sounds like CRST wages, now….

I had a chance to go a while back. I was interested in their 5 on 5 off program so I could still have a life. At this particular location I was informed out of 190 drivers there were only 8 driver positions to fill 4 of those programs and being driver 191+ I didn’t think my chances were too good of bidding and winning one. Between that and the working every weekend indefinitely and having to slip seat sleeper trucks like most of the guys at the bottom do, I passed as I have a young family I enjoy seeing more than 2 days a week, during the middle of the week at that.

Good pay is a great thing to aim for and very noble but I think WalMart missed the mark here, I don’t think they realize or possibly don’t care that it’s not so much the money that drivers are chasing now, it’s the scheduling flexibility and home time that enables them to have a life they’re looking for and with the current scheduling programs they have it doesn’t give a man any shot for much of a normal life. Too many of us have lived the life of being gone all the time or had a dad that was gone all the time to know better than to go down that road.

As many DC’s as they have so close together like they do now I don’t see the point in keeping guys on the road 5 days away from home to run around within a couple hundred miles of their home domicile.

Watch drivers actually stay in trucking then. Because the problem isn't a lack of drivers -- somewhere around 100k new CDLs are issued every year lately -- the problem is a lack of driver retention.
Secretary of Transportation Pete Bootiejudge is supposedly working on cockrecting this issue. We'll see.

As many DC’s as they have so close together like they do now I don’t see the point in keeping guys on the road 5 days away from home to run around within a couple hundred miles of their home domicile.
This is why I passed on the opportunity to drive for Marten Transport's Walmart dedicated fleet when I was getting started. Doesn't make sense to live on a truck 5 days a week if you're supposed to be back at the DC every night. Plus, they didn't pay nearly as well as Walmart corporate fleet.

There is one up by me and you see them around , just got to say they always seem happy and don't look like a FDXF city driver beat to hell .

They (FFE) would have paid 80 cents to the truck pay miles on 3100 one way, two trips every 7th day. Thats a gross of 4900 but paying me salary of 2000 and her 320 something saved them half the trouble. We did that for months.

We were useful idiots. Took us too damn long to understand that the salary is saving THEM money by more than half what we could have made.

That got us a little bit angry enough to quit the outfit despite everything.

I have spoken with a number of trucking company people today and they break out pages of pay this pay that pay pay pay pay. Bamboozle the poor bastard recruit driver fresh from school in tons of maybe pay for this maybe that and maybe something else.

And you wonder why there is no money in this godforsaken industry. There is. Not for you.