ODFL | What do you do when running out of time?

This might be fun under those circumstances when the company refuses to come out and get you. Park as legally as possible on the shoulder of the road or perhaps an off ramp away from traffic as much as possible to demonstrate your concern for safety, and set out your triangles and turn on your 4-ways. What you are now doing is trolling for cops without using donuts for bait. when one stops to ask if you need help, set the hook hard and tell him you are out of hours and can't drive any further under DOT rules and your company has declined to come out and assist you in moving your equipment out of the way even though you understand that this is posing a considerable hazard to other vehicles under these conditions and let him take care of it, and just smile,,, Trucking can have it's lighter moments if you plan ahead. I remember back when Clinton was president, he came to Portland to speak at the convention center right at the junction of I-84 and I-5. The traffic was so heavy around there that 2 of our trucks were sitting so long idling in traffic on the sloping transition ramp from I-84 to I-5 trying to get to the terminal that all the remaining fuel in their tanks ran over into the rt tank and the engines died in both trucks. The Portland terminal told me later they had no idea there were that many cops in Portland. Every damn one called up and told them to get their trucks off the freeway immediately or sooner if possible, Dave and Charlie told me later they could feel the sniper rifles trained on them from the convention center roof... Those folks can make a decision even if the company can't. Merry Christmas and a safe New Year to everyone...

Last edited:
This might be fun under those circumstances when the company refuses to come out and get you. Park as legally as possible on the shoulder of the road or perhaps an off ramp away from traffic as much as possible to demonstrate your concern for safety, and set out your triangles and turn on your 4-ways. What you are now doing is trolling for cops without using donuts for bait. when one stops to ask if you need help, set the hook hard and tell him you are out of hours and can't drive any further under DOT rules and your company has declined to come out and assist you in moving your equipment out of the way even though you understand that this is posing a considerable hazard to other vehicles under these conditions and let him take care of it, and just smile,,, Trucking can have it's lighter moments if you plan ahead. I remember back when Clinton was president, he came to Portland to speak at the convention center right at the junction of I-84 and I-5. The traffic was so heavy around there that 2 of our trucks were sitting so long idling in traffic on the sloping transition ramp from I-84 to I-5 trying to get to the terminal that all the remaining fuel in their tanks ran over into the rt tank and the engines died in both trucks. The Portland terminal told me later they had no idea there were that many cops in Portland. Every damn one called up and told them to get their trucks off the freeway immediately or sooner if possible, Dave and Charlie told me later they could feel the sniper rifles trained on them from the convention center roof... Those folks can make a decision even if the company can't. Merry Christmas and a safe New Year to everyone...
Dave and Charlie??? Merry Christmas to everyone at OD. I hope the best for y’all and be safe.

No. You can use 1 extra hour driving in adverse weather unknown to you at departure, but not to exceed 14 hrs total time. If you have already used 2 1/2 hrs of on duty not driving time, then you only get an extra 30 min of driving. Using personal conveyance to come in on is definitely not lawful. And yes they can find out if you were legally under an adverse weather exemption by a lawyer at $350.00/ hr if there are a couple of million dollars on the line. Believe me, It is an easy 33% of 2 million dollars. Even if the accident is not your fault, you will still be guilty under the law for violating your hrs of service. Screw the dispatcher and terminal mgr. Call your safety dept and ask to talk to the dir of safety himself and ask him if he really wants you to place your company under that sort of indefensible liability because they don't want to come out and pick you up. Even at midnight, the GO has a safety supervisor on standby for calls like this. And then just sit back and smile and wait for the phone call.... They will be pissed for a while, but they will get over it. BECAUSE THEY KNOW YOU ARE RIGHT, AND THEY WILL GRUDGINGLY RESPECT YOU FOR IT. OR you can keep playing the percentages and risk it on a roll of the dice each time. After all, you are only hanging your a$$ in the wind for the length of time you are willfully in violation of DOT rules. Sure you are a good enough driver to risk it, but what about that teenager that was texting when he crossed over into you? Or spun around in front of you? Or.....? BTW I am not referring to you specifically DD, but only in a general sense to every driver who may need assurance of what to do.
You're allowed 2 extra hours drive time and shift time under the unknown adverse weather exemption. This includes weather and road closures but has to be unknown to the driver at the start of his shift.

No, he’s correct, you can only use the two hour exstension to get back to your home terminal and it can only be used once a week!!!
No he is wrong. The regulation for adverse weather and unforeseen incidents he is referring to can be used more than once a week. The short haul exemption for which you are referring to can only be used once a week unless there has been a 34hr restart.

No, he’s correct, you can only use the two hour exstension to get back to your home terminal and it can only be used once a week!!!
Some think you can use this just to finish a run under normal driving conditions.It can only be used if adverse conditions exist. So if your home dispatch area was under severe weather conditions for say multiple days, the driver or dispatch would be aware of it.

AB1F657A-E6D6-4B46-B78E-3E50EE2A16DB.md.jpeg

Some think you can use this just to finish a run under normal driving conditions.It can only be used if adverse conditions exist. So if your home dispatch area was under severe weather conditions for say multiple days, the driver or dispatch would be aware of it.

AB1F657A-E6D6-4B46-B78E-3E50EE2A16DB.md.jpeg
That is correct, but you know there will always be those that try to circumvent the system. But the bottom line is it can also still be used more than 2 times a week depending on the circumstancess.

Last edited:
No he is wrong. The regulation for adverse weather and unforeseen incidents he is referring to can be used more than once a week. The short haul exemption for which you are referring to can only be used once a week unless there has been a 34hr restart.
correct! But help me here because I'm getting forgetful in my geezerhood. The 2 hr extension in driving is for shorthaul runs to return to their domicile, but not to exceed 14 hrs total? or is it extended to 16 hrs total under adverse for shorthaul? so 13 driving+1hr worktime. however for line haul it is 1 extra hr driving not to exceed 14 hrs total, or 12 hrs driving and 2 hrs worktime not to exceed 14 hr total on duty. Right? and this is to allow you to reach your dispatched destination location, not just your home domicile. Shorthaul are all turnaround runs anyway.

Last edited: