XPO | Where do we use LCV's?

I would work for boxboss in a minute. Justadriver .. your attack was unwarranted and uncalled for. He has been forthright with giving alot of us very useful information and how to effectively solve problems. I guess I expected more out of you than this. I guess I expected to much.

Oh and I forgot to mention BB's 'pool parties' with strippers...

My flight is booked.

Rat :loser:

We haul trains in Or.Up in Washington they only allow doubles though.Idaho trips are ok,Az only doubles,Nev Trains are allowed & Cal. only doubles.

utah and western co triples for sure [i've seen em] the las vegas / grand junction co lane.

Thanks man.. Good info. From another thread I also know we pull them in Oklahoma. Do any CWX guys know if we pull Rocky Mountain doubles or any other Western combination? For whatever reason, we do not pull (to my knowledge) Thruway doubles in Ny or Mass. I think the terminals are too far off the Thruway to make it worthwhile. The reason I ask about the west, on Hank's truck pictures there is a picture of a new tandem Sterling in Boise, Id. I was wondering if this was used for a western combination we don't have out here.

I know Utah, Idaho and Nevada, for sure....I gotta think Montana is a possibility, parts of Washington state, the Dakotas seem reasonable...I know Colorado has rocky mountain doubles, Kansas I am not so sure..
ConWay runs triples in both Kansas and Oklahoma,in Kansas legal only on the Kansas turnpike at present time .In Oklahoma legal on any 4 lane.

ConWay runs triples in both Kansas and Oklahoma,in Kansas legal only on the Kansas turnpike at present time .In Oklahoma legal on any 4 lane.

Great info. My only question is are there access rules? For instance, in Oh and In there are permits involved to get access to a terminal off the toll roads. From what you said, sounds like there are access rules in Ks but not OK?

Great info. My only question is are there access rules? For instance, in Oh and In there are permits involved to get access to a terminal off the toll roads. From what you said, sounds like there are access rules in Ks but not OK?
The only real acess rules for KS are having a yearly overlegnth permit for the non turnpike areas used to get to the highway,you also allowed to operate on federal/state hiways within 10 miles of the turnpike as long as you're going to/from the turnpike,the rules are actually pretty liberal compared to NY or OH.Oklahoma also requires yearly LCV permit carried in tractor.destination or terminal must be located within 5 miles of highways.

The only real acess rules for KS are having a yearly overlegnth permit for the non turnpike areas used to get to the highway,you also allowed to operate on federal/state hiways within 10 miles of the turnpike as long as you're going to/from the turnpike,the rules are actually pretty liberal compared to NY or OH.Oklahoma also requires yearly LCV permit carried in tractor.destination or terminal must be located within 5 miles of highways.

10-4. Ohio must be strict. The Toledo barn sits right off the pike but about 2 miles by road and we do not have triples access to that terminal. I know the triples trucks require a "TT" number on the truck and special permits in the book to run the pike. The drivers running them also have to certified in Ohio. I do not know about Indiana. All that said, The Ohio Pike is about the best road I have ever run. Smooth, 3 lanes where there is traffic, and good winter care.

I still can't figure out why we don't run twin long boxes in NY and Mass. Must be an equipment or access thing

If I'm not mistaken, Con-way requires 5 years doubles before letting you pull triples. I have a little over five years in now so would I be able to get my Ohio certification and run them even though I'm at a Pa terminal? I will pay the fees out of pocket to run them once to see what it is like. Even if it was a weekend run out of "XKY" I would like to do it at least once.

don't look in your mirrors. you will try to correct the wiggle.
bad thing about kansas and ok. is kansas you can run 120,000 where at ok is 90,000. kinda stupid 90,000 after the third trailer weight and the dolly what you can put 5,000 lbs on the back pup.

10-4. Ohio must be strict. The Toledo barn sits right off the pike but about 2 miles by road and we do not have triples access to that terminal. I know the triples trucks require a "TT" number on the truck and special permits in the book to run the pike. The drivers running them also have to certified in Ohio. I do not know about Indiana. All that said, The Ohio Pike is about the best road I have ever run. Smooth, 3 lanes where there is traffic, and good winter care.

I still can't figure out why we don't run twin long boxes in NY and Mass. Must be an equipment or access thing
I believe Ohio requires you be within 1 mile of the toll gate to run trips. Tractors are supposed to be "certified" to pull 115,000# up maximum grade on pike and maintain at least 40mph before they get their permit. I really doubt each and every one can do this.

Here in the NW all DSR'S all have to have double & triple endorsement.Heading southbound(towards Cal.)we run triples all the time.You figure if you run 2 trains that eliminates 1 run.It's up to the driver to keep tabs on the weather conditions making sure the passes are open to triples or not.

I would work for boxboss in a minute. Justadriver .. your attack was unwarranted and uncalled for. He has been forthright with giving alot of us very useful information and how to effectively solve problems. I guess I expected more out of you than this. I guess I expected to much.

I , being aware that the above poster is a
moderator here and has sole determination of
the rules .

It may appear it could be questionable as to
whom is attacking whom in the posts here.

Yes I was critical of the content of facts and
knowledge of the posts I quoted.
I believe I offered explainations , suggestions ,
and possible solutions .

If I am mistaken or incorrect , I respectfully
appologize to everyone .

Thank You

I'll agree with you W-99. I would also work for boxboss in a minute.

Justadriver has an opinion and we are glad you have chosen to express it within the rules.

P.S. Boxboss is real and is a real tm of a large class facility and has chosen to post his knowledge here. I think he would agree not everything Con-Way does is understandable but, it is our choosen company to work for.

I believe Ohio requires you be within 1 mile of the toll gate to run trips. Tractors are supposed to be "certified" to pull 115,000# up maximum grade on pike and maintain at least 40mph before they get their permit. I really doubt each and every one can do this.

Yeah I agree. The hardest pull I can think of is westbound up the big bridge and I'm down to 45 MPH with 40K behind me in 2 boxes.

You can go to antique truck sites (Dave Faust is a good one)and view many combinations that have been tried/evolved over the past 50 years. Some Western states have had triples for 40 plus years and in NW you see the truck and trailer combos which basically consists of a straight truck pulling a pup with a long draw bar connection. Consolidated for several years in the 60s had the long tractor chassis that slid under a pup to make a straight truck and then hooked to a rear pup to get trailers across Eastern US without unloading them as PA wouldn't allow doubles for years. In Kansas and some Western states you see the 53"trailer in front with a 28'pup on the rear and various combos. Some appear to be an accident waiting to happen ???

If I'm not mistaken, Con-way requires 5 years doubles before letting you pull triples. I have a little over five years in now so would I be able to get my Ohio certification and run them even though I'm at a Pa terminal? I will pay the fees out of pocket to run them once to see what it is like. Even if it was a weekend run out of "XKY" I would like to do it at least once.
:hide: Jake, I pulled a set of triples once. It was a Saturday morning, just got back from my l/h run. Just for fun, I hooked a pup to my back box and drove around the yard. On my second trip around, guess who shows up? Who else? My TM, who almost never showed his face on Saturday!
He got out of his car, shook his head in disbelief, and went about his business. That was my only experience with trips.:smilie_132:

You can go to antique truck sites (Dave Faust is a good one)and view many combinations that have been tried/evolved over the past 50 years. Some Western states have had triples for 40 plus years and in NW you see the truck and trailer combos which basically consists of a straight truck pulling a pup with a long draw bar connection. Consolidated for several years in the 60s had the long tractor chassis that slid under a pup to make a straight truck and then hooked to a rear pup to get trailers across Eastern US without unloading them as PA wouldn't allow doubles for years. In Kansas and some Western states you see the 53"trailer in front with a 28'pup on the rear and various combos. Some appear to be an accident waiting to happen ???
Kansas allows a unique combo we used to pull two 26ft pups behind a 45ft van they called them "turnpike triples"you don't see them very often anymore,Even with a 120ft length limit with conventional tractors and the longer trailers we have now cant get them quite legal.I only know of one outfit that still pulls them,Price T/L of Wichita and Kansas City and thats only until the state of Kansas finally catches them.I used to pull them and they handled well,the cabover freightliner I drove had a big Detroit diesel V-12 and it was a screamer!!! pulling those tpk triples or my favorite combo,two48 footers hooked with a tandem dolly you COMMANDED respect!