Yellow | Whistling Through The Graveyard!

I know of quite a few O/O oil field people thats phones have not rung in going on 3 weeks.
The economy is getting slower.
Its no wonder that lay offs are happening in all industry's.

Here's the problem: We don't know if the "people of color" who were fired were let go BECAUSE of their race, or because of their non-performance. They sued, and the IBT settled for $2.9 million. Sadly, that might have been the least expensive option for the membership. What I find troubling is that the plaintiffs for whatever their reasons need to "keep score" of the racial/ethnic legacy of the present and former employees. That in itself is racism by definition.
I for one base hiring/firing decisions on merit or lack thereof. I don't care whether the subject is white, brown, black, Asian or for that matter, green with orange stripes and pink polka-dots. Their race/ethnicity doesn't have anything to do with their qualifications to perform the task.
I'll share a quick story here of how absurd the legal/justice system is: A friend of mine was driving his truck in the Rockies on poor traction (snowpack) many years ago. He was overtaken by a speeding sport coupe that then spun out and "fish-tailed" in front of his truck. He couldn't avoid striking the coupe, T-boning it in the driver's door. The coupe's driver died on-scene. Turns out the dead guy was a) a drug runner; b) an illegal immigrant; and c) driving recklessly. Absolutely at fault for the accident that cost his life.
His family (in Latin America) sued my friend's employer for wrongful death. The claim was merit-less. However, the company ended up paying $7,000 to settle as "nuisance damages". It cost them far less to pay that $7,000 than to litigate, with little to no hope of recovery from the family on the merit-less claim. That's how the system dysfunctions.

What I find troubling is that the plaintiffs for whatever their reasons need to "keep score" of the racial/ethnic legacy of the present and former employees. That in itself is racism by definition.
I for one base hiring/firing decisions on merit or lack thereof. I don't care whether the subject is white, brown, black, Asian or for that matter, green with orange stripes and pink polka-dots. Their race/ethnicity doesn't have anything to do with their qualifications to perform the task.

Now, Real Teamster, you do realize the only way to stop racism is racism! Merit, schmerit! We need to hire more green with orange stripes and pink polka-dots no matter how inept!