Who has project cars?

I had a 64 Impala SS 327/ 300hp 4 spd, ran like an airplane, get 20 mpg, first car I had with AC

A friend had a 64 SS with the same 300 HP 327 & 4 speed combination. It was one of the fastest off the lot cars I ever saw. His dad also had an identical white 64 with a 250 HP 327. The 300 did better on fuel than the 250. The 300 had a Carter AFB while the 250 had a Rochester 4GC. The friend let a beer drinking buddy drive the 4 speed car while both were sipping cool brews. The friend was shifting from 1st to 3rd while in a race but went back to 1st instead. The little small block swallowed the valves but the dealer put a long block in under warranty. The car never ran the same.
The Impala had drum brakes all the way around.

The '64 ELKY offered 3 engine options and ours is a 250 Horse.
Top 'O The Line was the 327 350 Horse High Performance. (wonder how many are still around)

[Rant]It's interesting that you claim FORD is bad yet you'll allow a FORD P.U. to move G.M. Parts, so go figure.[/Rant]

That Cheby P.U. appears to offer a LOT of Frame Rust and, I'm sure, Inside Panel Rust, which should make for a wonderful overhaul.
Where didja find it? Under a Tarp?
- - - -
Relax Mate, just stretching your Timing Chain.
GEARS and CHEERS!!

I still have an "EP"L79 327 block & crank our of a 67 Chevelle. That was the year Chevrolet re rated the 350 HP 327 back to 325. It was the same engine just re rated to satisfy the government regulations on pounds per horsepower. That was also the year when the 375 HP 396 was not available. The 360 HP hydraulic lifter 396 was the top of the line that year. The L79 350 HP 327 was also re rated in the Nova back to 325 HP. I had a 67 SS Nova that saw many passes down the 1/4 mile. I sold it when my daughter was a baby. I thought it was time to grow up & be a responsible adult.

A friend had a 64 SS with the same 300 HP 327 & 4 speed combination. It was one of the fastest off the lot cars I ever saw. His dad also had an identical white 64 with a 250 HP 327. The 300 did better on fuel than the 250. The 300 had a Carter AFB while the 250 had a Rochester 4GC. The friend let a beer drinking buddy drive the 4 speed car while both were sipping cool brews. The friend was shifting from 1st to 3rd while in a race but went back to 1st instead. The little small block swallowed the valves but the dealer put a long block in under warranty. The car never ran the same.
The Impala had drum brakes all the way around.

Thought it had drum brakes, just didn't remember.
A friend, a Charlotte city policeman had a Bonneville, I out ran him on top end with no problem, it was really fast.
I kept the car for years, traded it to a guy to build me a cattle trailer, first thing, he changed cam and put in solid
lifters.
The very next week he totaled the car, my wife cried, I said it wasn't our car anymore.
"Well, you should not have let him have it."

I still have an "EP"L79 327 block & crank our of a 67 Chevelle. That was the year Chevrolet re rated the 350 HP 327 back to 325. It was the same engine just re rated to satisfy the government regulations on pounds per horsepower. That was also the year when the 375 HP 396 was not available. The 360 HP hydraulic lifter 396 was the top of the line that year. The L79 350 HP 327 was also re rated in the Nova back to 325 HP. I had a 67 SS Nova that saw many passes down the 1/4 mile. I sold it when my daughter was a baby. I thought it was time to grow up & be a responsible adult.
Doc, I'm not doubting you cuz I was born in 67. I thought the L78 (375hp 396) was available from 66 to early 70 (until my favorite LS6 was offered). The 360hp 396 was the "middle" big block in 1966 but was "derated" to 350hp in 67 to 70.
That's awesome that you have a L79 block. As much as I love big blocks, there was a time as a teen that I really wanted a L79 Nova.

Doc, I'm not doubting you cuz I was born in 67. I thought the L78 (375hp 396) was available from 66 to early 70 (until my favorite LS6 was offered). The 360hp 396 was the "middle" big block in 1966 but was "derated" to 350hp in 67 to 70.
That's awesome that you have a L79 block. As much as I love big blocks, there was a time as a teen that I really wanted a L79 Nova.

Never cared much for the 396, had a 60 SS 348/3 2s solid lifters, rated 335 hp, later ones that year had different heads rated at 350.
I had a 65 Chev. 6500 dump truck with a 427, I was going to put in a 40 Ford coupe and never got around to the job.
Also put a 3/8 stroker in a 283, made it 339 in, it was a real hoss with a 37 Lasalle trans, 4 56 Ford Hollys, sitting on top of a 471 G M blower.
I went broke when Uncle Sam cut my pay more than Wong's 15%

I have in front of me a 69 Nickey Chevrolet catalog. It lists the L78 as an option. I look at that catalog & drool. I was overseas in 69 so I couldn't have had anything in the catalog. The catalog states that Nickey would order or install any combination the customer wanted. Genuine Nickey cars bring big bucks today. I saw an unrestored. documented, 69 big block Nickey Camaro at a car show last year. It had the usual dragstrip fugitive dings & scratches. The paint was faded but the car had no rust. It made many 1/4 mile trips.

Joseph1135=We need pics.
O.K.
64 El Camino is a bad ass.
Not this one. It's a Plain Jane.

rIWhc0q.jpg

Factory Door Panel. The green spot near {arking Brake pedal is MOLD. There's more in the Cab and some is Black.
eU2s87o.jpg

Typical Chevelle leaks water into Cab at both front and rear Glass.
zYmTAn1.jpg

Very little rust in the ALL METAL Bed even under the rubber El Camino mat.
UAC8Jfi.jpg

The slightly pushed in Fender above is from the wife glancing off ELKY with the Hyundai pulling in the parking spot. Yes, mold around Gas Door opening and inside.
MXpq9aR.jpg

Factory Air Shocks setup and has ALWAYS leaned to the Left even with New Air Shocks. Exhaust pipes are singular as there is NO Crossover or X setup.
RoU65t2.jpg

Some type scratch or "scar" about 6" above bottom rail on door and 1/4 panel from before we got ELKY.
BJFBK4o.jpg

Random shot.
tVFlXWI.jpg

Random shot.
mRLMMlT.jpg

Peeling Paint and growing rust.
etzW7le.jpg

Rust never sleeps.
O1I9Lpj.jpg

There's your "bad ass" part.--the Emblem, not the peeling paint--
2XsdZFS.jpg

I will say someone before us got those 3 piece SS hubcaps from a Malibu. --the SS part will come out-- 14" wheels. Would ride better with 15's or 16's and needs ALL NEW STEERING LINKAGES. 2 Center Link Options and ours is 13/16".
I2J9c76.jpg

Bumpers still shine even through dirt and grime.
4HyoPWE.jpg

Motor and Bay could well use a thorough cleaning. The Factory Alternator was replaced by a one wire unit last decade. Belts and Hoses & Coolant are from last decade. Engine not cranked since late Summer '17. Choke no work. Clip on Fender to right of Alternator is for Anti-Freeze Fluid Bottle which we have in a dresser drawer.
wqky9H8.jpg

Build Tag.
VZexwFD.jpg

Note the remaining White Headliner Trim on far right back side. Mold spotting. The Factory Air Shocks Air Valve on back window rail.--disconnected--The Air Shocks Fill/Release Valve is located under Rear Bumper.
Worn out seats and entire Interior. I failed to get shots of the inside Roof and interior Light(covered in black mold).

Engine WILL Fire, just need to jump it off (or charge Battery).
If You or someone is interested, WE would like $2500.00. Clear title and it has Insurance and Valid Tag (because of a current h.o.a. rule). WE are not advertising it in any magazine or Cars For Sale rag because we don't want a bunch of calls from those folks that want to offer lowball prices or want to pay with a check. CASH is King!

327-4bbl, Powerglide, Posi. --not sure of Posi Ratio as there were 4 options--3.08:1 to 3.70:1.
I've seen quite MANY 60's model Chevelles in MUCH WORSE SHAPE and higher selling prices.

CHEERS!!

Last edited:
O.K. Not this one. It's a Plain Jane.

rIWhc0q.jpg

Factory Door Panel. The green spot near {arking Brake pedal is MOLD. There's more in the Cab and some is Black.
eU2s87o.jpg

Typical Chevelle leaks water into Cab at both front and rear Glass.
zYmTAn1.jpg

Very little rust in the ALL METAL Bed even under the rubber El Camino mat.
UAC8Jfi.jpg

The slightly pushed in Fender above is from the wife glancing off ELKY with the Hyundai pulling in the parking spot. Yes, mold around Gas Door opening and inside.
MXpq9aR.jpg

Factory Air Shocks setup and has ALWAYS leaned to the Left even with New Air Shocks. Exhaust pipes are singular as there is NO Crossover or X setup.
RoU65t2.jpg

Some type scratch or "scar" about 6" above bottom rail on door and 1/4 panel from before we got ELKY.
BJFBK4o.jpg

Random shot.
tVFlXWI.jpg

Random shot.
mRLMMlT.jpg

Peeling Paint and growing rust.
etzW7le.jpg

Rust never sleeps.
O1I9Lpj.jpg

There's your "bad ass" part.--the Emblem, not the peeling paint--
2XsdZFS.jpg

I will say someone before us got those 3 piece SS hubcaps from a Malibu. --the SS part will come out-- 14" wheels. Would ride better with 15's or 16's and needs ALL NEW STEERING LINKAGES. 2 Center Link Options and ours is 13/16".
I2J9c76.jpg

Bumpers still shine even through dirt and grime.
4HyoPWE.jpg

Motor and Bay could well use a thorough cleaning. The Factory Alternator was replaced by a one wire unit last decade. Belts and Hoses & Coolant are from last decade. Engine not cranked since late Summer '17. Choke no work. Clip on Fender to right of Alternator is for Anti-Freeze Fluid Bottle which we have in a dresser drawer.
wqky9H8.jpg

Build Tag.
VZexwFD.jpg

Note the remaining White Headliner Trim on far right back side. Mold spotting. The Factory Air Shocks Air Valve on back window rail.--disconnected--The Air Shocks Fill/Release Valve is located under Rear Bumper.
VZexwFD.jpg

Worn out seats and entire Interior. I failed to get shots of the inside Roof and interior Light(covered in black mold).

If You or someone is interested, WE would like $2500.00. Clear title and it has Insurance and Valid Tag (because of h.o.a. crap).
I've seen quite MANY 60's model Chevelles in much WORSE shapes for more asking price.
Man if I was closer to you I’d snatch that right up. That is a few thousand away from being beautiful.

bHAQSPb.jpg

Yes it is. WE were thinking about a reasonable Restore yet it would be about 25k with labor. Interior rebuild and the engine would need a Pro Rebuild as well Trans gone through and Rear Gears checked/new fluids just for safety (as well a new Cap with drain and fill plugs).
What's your 20?

Last edited:
El Camino is History!:sadwavey:
Chatted up a Professional Wrench at Harris Teeter D. C. Saturday and he came by Yesterday and wants it, so a few greenbacks will slide our way.
ELKY's going to a place that she'll get some major attention and this guy has a well established and tooled shop at his home.
I gave her some attention yesterday and got her fired up and aired up the 9 year old tires.
She'll be hopping on a trailer this evening.:wavey:
Thanks Mates!!
CHEERS!!

El Camino is History!:sadwavey:
Chatted up a Professional Wrench at Harris Teeter D. C. Saturday and he came by Yesterday and wants it, so a few greenbacks will slide our way.
ELKY's going to a place that she'll get some major attention and this guy has a well established and tooled shop at his home.
I gave her some attention yesterday and got her fired up and aired up the 9 year old tires.
She'll be hopping on a trailer this evening.:wavey:
Thanks Mates!!
CHEERS!!
Good to see a baby going to a good home.