Yellow | Who Is Going To Drive Trucks In The Future?

Was it heated and air conditioned?
Heated in the summer, cooled in the winter... Had to have at least some kind of heat, probably a open flame, or oil fired source. A/C was ice with a fan, if you were creative.. Our safety dept. would have a stroke if they were still in use....

Heated in the summer, cooled in the winter... Had to have at least some kind of heat, probably a open flame, or oil fired source. A/C was ice with a fan, if you were creative.. Our safety dept. would have a stroke if they were still in use....

Our KB 11 IHCs, didn't have heaters, why should a guy in bed all covered up, need heat?
AC , you are kidding?

Our KB 11 IHCs, didn't have heaters, why should a guy in bed all covered up, need heat?
AC , you are kidding?
When I left the West Coast on my maiden voyage, I explained to my boss that when I left MO in August, I had no idea I would be gone so long. I needed a coat and sleeping bag. He said no problem, get something nice to keep you warm. I bought the best that Northface had to offer at the time. When I finally turned in my expense report for my marathon trip, he blew a gasket over the $300 receipt. But he paid it. I still have them both. :15:

I grew up around the industry , riding with my dad when that wasn't a very common thing. Started driving myself and I'm coming towards the end of my career. I remember when I started driving my dad was mad at me because "things had changed so much for the worse" from his heydays. Now my oldest son is making noises about driving and I find myself telling him the same thing dad used to tell me, like how they've taken all the fun out of trucking. I'm not as old as some of these guys are on here but old enough to agree that I think we are a dying breed. Circle of life thing I guess.
My career path was much the same as yours, I am fortunate that my son seen my struggles dealing with Trucking issues,and the company that I was employed with while he was growing up, He went to school and choose a different path. For that , I am very grateful.

"If teenagers are any guide, Americans’ love affair with the automobile may no longer be something car makers can bank on.

The percentage of teens with a driver’s license has tumbled in the last few decades and more young people are delaying purchasing their first car—if buying one at all, say analysts, generational experts and car industry executives. About a quarter of 16-year-olds had a driver’s license in 2017, a sharp decline from nearly half in 1983, according to an analysis of licensing data by transportation researcher Michael Sivak."

https://www.wsj.com/articles/driving-the-kids-are-so-over-it-11555732810

A few things
The teamsters union continues (with your $$$$) to push for more illegal immigration. Those people increasingly are driving CDL trucks. Just look in the cab of a drayage carrier? Obama pushed for and won, having Mexican Carriers operate throughout the USA. Using the same rules as Canadian carriers with some overlooking of the FMCSA rules..

Autonomous Trucks will come into play, again the teamster will fight this as they do every change until it passes them by and they squander the opportunity. It is inevitable, weather it is platooning trucks or some type of automated vehicle it will be here.

But then Hoffa and his cronies are too busy laughing at the Wright Brothers.....

Back in those days Hunter Mfg. made a gasoline fired heater that was aux. heat for many tractors.
Don't know if they were used in any sleeper boxes.

My first trucT ride was in a H. 67 Mack with my Dad. I rode a lot with my Grandpa in his last Truck before he retired 1974 Mack F Model Sleeper Cab with the 300 Maxidine.
Loved to hear that thing whisle!!!

Only thing I can say good, about the Maxidine, it did have a good sounding turbo.

My first trucT ride was in a H. 67 Mack with my Dad. I rode a lot with my Grandpa in his last Truck before he retired 1974 Mack F Model Sleeper Cab with the 300 Maxidine.
Loved to hear that thing whisle!!!
When the 300 plus came it was cutting edge, 300 plus HP from a 672 cubic inch. The whine was the tip turbine fan, the first forced air intercooler in production. We had a few with ten speeds, some with the five. pulling SOB's they were...

When the 300 plus came it was cutting edge, 300 plus HP from a 672 cubic inch. The whine was the tip turbine fan, the first forced air intercooler in production. We had a few with ten speeds, some with the five. pulling SOB's they were...

I think this was the 673P, engine with wider main bearings, this was the start of the low rpm, high torque engines
Cummins fell right in line with their high torque engines.
Was hard to wait until engine almost stalled to shift, we had been taught to keep the old 671 Detroit and Macks against the governor.

Last edited:
Back in those days Hunter Mfg. made a gasoline fired heater that was aux. heat for many tractors.
Don't know if they were used in any sleeper boxes.

My first car, a 10 year old (at the time) 1949 Ford had a Stewart Warner South Wind gasoline car heater. Heated the interior amazingly quickly. I foolishly removed it and installed a normal hot water heater. Duh!!

My first car, a 10 year old (at the time) 1949 Ford had a Stewart Warner South Wind gasoline car heater. Heated the interior amazingly quickly. I foolishly removed it and installed a normal hot water heater. Duh!!

I had forgotten about the South Wind, about the same as the Hunter.
A guy with a sleeper didn't need to get up cold, just reach out, flip a switch, in a few minutes it was snug as a bug in a rug.

I think this was the 673P, engine with wider main bearings, this was the start of the low rpm, high torque engines
Cummins fell right in line with their high torque engines.
Was hard to wait until engine almost stalled to shift, we had been taught to keep the old 671 Detroit and Macks against the governor.
Really had to use the clutch, push it all the way in to get the clutch brake to slow the shaft down... And the smoke would pour out.... We had a 12V 71 in an old Freightliner, turned fuel into noise....

Drove a wrecker my old boss and my self built 9500 GMC with the "buzzin dozen" 13 over 355 rears scary fast even the "Monforts" could stay with that old girl
Dragging a loaded wag, lights & sirens.:lmao:

I dropped mine in neutral headed out of Eisenhower WB with a trainee.

By the time we passed. Vail, he said, “It feels like we’re doing a hundred after that long climb.”

I just smiled and stayed focused.