XPO | Who Is Running Linehaul?

I’m just not seeing this happening what’re I run. We still run empties when there isn’t freight one way and only leave freight behind when it isn’t due that day/appointment freight or we are over. Run half a trailer that isn’t cubed or heavy too. All freight moves off our outbound the day it’s picked up, unless an after hours pickup. We do miss some p/u in the city (I think) but that’s it.
Same here . The only time freight is left behind at our place is there no one to cover it for us, but since the holidays nothing has sat at our place. In the last 2yrs we have flipped to heaver outbound and have less on inbound. Yes we are running empties and half trailers home. Yes we have left freight at the FAC because they had no one to cover the load. On the rare occasion that we are on a empty going to the FAC it get loaded with dunnage. We seen to have a hard time getting that back to the FAC.

Same here . The only time freight is left behind at our place is there no one to cover it for us, but since the holidays nothing has sat at our place. In the last 2yrs we have flipped to heaver outbound and have less on inbound. Yes we are running empties and half trailers home. Yes we have left freight at the FAC because they had no one to cover the load. On the rare occasion that we are on a empty going to the FAC it get loaded with dunnage. We seen to have a hard time getting that back to the FAC.
This place is so mismanaged

Lower my expectations?? They have been low! I’ve always stayed humble. The problem is I seen this coming but a lot of drivers didn’t and continued to BITCH about non sense! The freight was there but someone got rid of most of it make more on the dollar!

Do you understand that when I say we had the freight we were good! It’s only going to get worse around here just like every other LTL company. So tired of hearing about the good ol days! I want a leader in this company that is about the customer, and for management to FIRE disgruntled employees/ egotistical management!

vSnEZPU.jpg

Lower my expectations?? They have been low! I’ve always stayed humble. The problem is I seen this coming but a lot of drivers didn’t and continued to BITCH about non sense! The freight was there but someone got rid of most of it make more on the dollar!

Do you understand that when I say we had the freight we were good! It’s only going to get worse around here just like every other LTL company. So tired of hearing about the good ol days! I want a leader in this company that is about the customer, and for management to FIRE disgruntled employees/ egotistical management!
This has to be one of the best post every, sarcasm. "we had the freight we were good" It doesn't matter how much freight you put on the truck if it isn't profitable then how long will the doors stay open. I know another company that "had the freight" it was NEMF when I was in the city would drive past there barn ton of freight on the dock.
Bad pricing and contracts will kill a company. We are not here to haul freight for free or at our expense. We relay on management to get good paying freight and they relay on us to NOT to F**K it up. So we, the driver and dockworker are 50% of the reason we don't have the freight.
It's one thing to get their freight to them fast it's another to get it there intact and undamaged. I bet if you talk to some of these customer they would rather wait one day then have to deal with freight claims.

In general , seniority lists ( or service rank lists as XPO calls them ) are not bad.

There's only one way to get on one and move up: EXPERIENCE ( at least that's the way it should be )

What's bad is management that has favoritism , variable standards , or just not applying rules and policies fairly.

All things being equal , the people at the top of a seniority list will be time-tested , dependable , efficient , experienced , go-to people.

This can only happen if you have a set of standards that are upheld , protected , and passed on. Currently , throughout our industry and with XPO in particular , the standards are not being upheld , protected , and passed on so you have this.

Even with things like they are now it still doesn't mean you can cut to the front of the line.

In general , seniority lists ( or service rank lists as XPO calls them ) are not bad.

There's only one way to get on one and move up: EXPERIENCE ( at least that's the way it should be )

What's bad is management that has favoritism , variable standards , or just not applying rules and policies fairly.

All things being equal , the people at the top of a seniority list will be time-tested , dependable , efficient , experienced , go-to people.

This can only happen if you have a set of standards that are upheld , protected , and passed on. Currently , throughout our industry and with XPO in particular , the standards are not being upheld , protected , and passed on so you have this.

Even with things like they are now it still doesn't mean you can cut to the front of the line.
People near the top that have made 20 or more years in a Con-way company have earned that seniority. Guys with 10 yr or less can’t seem to get that and it eats at them how they can’t get a jump despite their backstabbing.
It’s a common sentiment with job jumpers and they can’t stand organized work places for that very reason. Everyone above them doesn’t deserve to be there in their mind.

You make some points in general for time off, layoffs and in some cases start time that's fine, but you must agree there are problems with it.
Experience has nothing to do on you movement up the list. I seen alot of 20yrs dumb steering wheel holders here and at other companies. Your movement up the list all depends on the ones above you leaving, retire or quit, and the company hiring new below you. That's it
There are some that lead by example and other that walk around with the "I've been here XX years and I'm better then you" attitude. I sure everyone on here can look at there own barn and sort the driver out as a leader or the I've been here XX year type. Your top employees are not always the ones on the top of the seniority list.
This is true but it's not just management upholding these standard it is also some of the top seniority drivers too.
Sure on something like I said at the beginning of this post. The problem is the new 3yrs drive makes the same as the driver thats been here for 20yrs. Does that 3yrs driver deserve that pay rate? Does the 20yr driver deserve his pay rate. With regards to pay we are not paid on or job performance but as a group. So how to you expect to have a top preforming company when there is no drive to preform at you best.

Gives you choice in vacations , personal days ( of course we don’t get those like most do ) , bids , early starts and convince days to name a few . Why do you say they don’t matter ?
from the article I posted:
Disadvantages of Seniority: Where's the Merit?
Non-union employers might also use seniority as a basis for promotions and pay increases, but it's usually considered alongside other factors such as knowledge, the accomplishment of work goals, experience and cultural fit. That's because seniority, of itself, is not a measure of job performance. It's perfectly possible for someone with a 20-year tenure in an organization to perform worse than someone who has only been there for six months.

Performance can be measured by how well someone performs her job role. It distinguishes an employee who works hard from someone who does not - and it distinguishes someone who goes the extra mile from someone who only goes through the motions. Seniority comes with experience. It should translate to better performance, but there's no guarantee that a senior person will have more talent or drive than her junior team members.

This is the main criticism of seniority – that it values longevity over merit. If an under-performing employee is promoted solely on the basis of seniority, then that company could end up paying more for an employee who is not achieving as much as a less-senior (and therefore cheaper) colleague.

Life has taught me one of many lessons and here's one of them. All things should be consumed or applied in moderation and seniority is no different. A few years ago, when we were hiring drivers I'd see quite a few of them leave after just 18 months or so because of one common complaint, home time. It wasn't that they working too many hours, it was time frame of the work. Many of the younger jr. guys come into work after their kids are off to school and don't get home until their kids are in bed or nearly in bed. I am not proposing a solution, but I do believe this is where seniority does more harm than good.