XPO | WHY is nobody talking about yesterdays meeting?

A driver once said to me .. "i have never worked harder to keep my job" ... and this guy is a 20 year conway driver
We just had a guy with 19 years quit and went to work for a competitor less than 2 miles from our barn. That has to be a hard thing to do but he said he feels sooo much better already. We've lost a lot of guys this year because of all the BS and we're a pretty small barn. Most of us think they're looking for any reason to write us up everyday which could lead to termination or frustrate the driver into just telling them to stick the letter up their ars and quit. That's not a good way to feel when you go to work.

It gets harder and harder to understand. ... why do your people that way and then send them out into the streets driving 80000 lbs around the public.

We just had a guy with 19 years quit and went to work for a competitor less than 2 miles from our barn. That has to be a hard thing to do but he said he feels sooo much better already. We've lost a lot of guys this year because of all the BS and we're a pretty small barn. Most of us think they're looking for any reason to write us up everyday which could lead to termination or frustrate the driver into just telling them to stick the letter up their ars and quit. That's not a good way to feel when you go to work.

Like he said. It wasn't hard. He is better for it. How is being better off a burden ?

That is what's wrong. The attitude of those that are still here thinking they will lose something if they leave.

Or that they will be treated the same as this anywhere else.

Like he said. It wasn't hard. He is better for it. How is being better off a burden ?

That is what's wrong. The attitude of those that are still here thinking they will lose something if they leave.

Or that they will be treated the same as this anywhere else.
Why should they have to leave & start over? No job should be that bad....

When you dread to go to work it's time to leave.....Most that stay are simply drowning in debt and have no choice.....Eventually your job will start to affect your health and at that point your good to no one..........I've known many men that literally worked themselves into an early grave..........Have enough sense to know when its time to walk away.

Why should they have to leave & start over? No job should be that bad....

It's not that bad..these people are cashing in their retirements when they quit..the stock market is up and there are plenty of jobs out there...cash it while it's high. A lot of guys at our place realized they could cash their 401 and quit.

besides, nobody is going to quit and say they have it worse..come on now..

They get rid of all the insecure worthless people..haha..probably just wanted to cash his 401..like a lot of our guys did..too much debt.. A lot of people moved up when he quit..i'd hold the door open for him...lol

They get rid of all the insecure worthless people..haha..probably just wanted to cash his 401..like a lot of our guys did..too much debt.. A lot of people moved up when he quit..i'd hold the door open for him...lol

So I see things are still candy canes and rainbows at LDA...

I thought this article was worth a look. It has a different take on some of the things we are told by management.

Companies with a good culture focus on training when there is a problem. A company can be successful and thrive regardless of a union or not.

Debunking Four HR Myths That Destroy Company Cultures - Forbes

This is Myth #4 according to the author

4. Advice like, “You can’t work successfully with a union:” Clearly, people who say this ignore companies like Southwest Airlines — the most unionized airline in a unionized industry—who have great employee relations, with management actually striving to learn from the “other side” at each negotiation, Fairmont Hotels, Host Marriott… The incoming workforce of Millennials, by the way, are the most pro-union generation in quite some time. Even if it is largely theoretical for them, the anti-union rhetoric isn’t going to win you points with them.

This is Myth #1 according to the author

1. Snappy but utterly insane advice like “hire slowly, fire quickly.” Try this sometime. Or better, don’t. “Hire slowly” certainly has its good points, but “fire quickly” applied to those who aren’t immediately successful means you’re throwing away human potential in a way that is completely cruel: a blip on a resume and wasted resources for your company, not to mention the shockwaves felt by those left un-fired. In my experience great companies certainly don’t ignore the failures of initially unsuccessful employees, but they engage in the more difficult ”coach quickly,” “make adjustments quickly,” and “amp up the training” rather than the kneejerkish “fire quickly.”

I know some don't like to click links

Last edited by a moderator:

What's bad HM, is these companies are getting away from what got them where they are, PEOPLE... They don't give a rat's azz about the people anymore. "Bottom line" has taken the place of "people"..
And don't get me started on the safety aspect of these folks who own these companies.. It's pathetic... When I was at Estes, I had a 2012 IH with the new Maxi-Pad engine.. The truck was almost 3 years old and only had 280,000 miles on it.. The dang thing stayed in the shop more than on the road.. Recap tires, baling wiring the repairs, and expecting drivers to drive around on public highways with this crap.. It's getting to the point to where a driver is looking for a DOT man to inspect his truck, just to get it repaired right...

0511-0710-0510-4445.jpg

sarcasm |ˈsärˌkazəm|
noun
the use of irony to mock or convey contempt:
ORIGIN mid 16th cent.: from French sarcasme, or via late Latin from late Greek sarkasmos

They didn't get rid of him, He got rid of them....... Everyone has their opinion. Being a 2 year guy, Yes I'm a newbeee Currently Looking else where (just a matter of time) .. My opinion is..... Conway needs needs needs to understand that RETENTION of these long term employees (not just the 1 - 5 year employees) is IMPORTANT, VALUABLE /PRECIOUS....... He was a Safe driver /worker... He was dependable... He knew his Job duties very well / Trained and Productive.... Now Con-way has to compete for another person to consider this job which will include ADVERTISING, WAITING, INTERVIEWING, SCREENING MULTIPLE PEOPLE, HIRING, TRAINING AND HOPING HE/SHE STAYS AND CAN PERFORM..... Conway Loses big with his loss in many ways. Other employees who see high turnover and senior drivers leave tend to disengage, look for other jobs and in general this barn will lose productivity.... This all = His personal gain which he deserves and a huge loss to con-way freight .

I've spoken with him since he left. Said he's very happy and when he looks back He just had 19 years of frustration.

We didn't even get a meeting. They just posted Greg's letter in the break room. That's it.

They should have read it out loud to everyone like they did at our barn.... I wouldn't get too shook up about it though. Until they implement a better more competitive wage, It's just a letter of apology..

Howler you are wise beyond your 2 years. It usually takes 5 times those years to figure this place out.