XPO | Xpo Union Thread.

Status
Not open for further replies.
PT is used in a lot of one way lanes, such as Miami. Conway did that several years ago. It didn’t make sense when you only have freight flowing one way to run one of our drivers. Not saying I want our guys to have work taken away from them, just pointing it out. You have 12 trailers full one way, only 2 coming back. Makes sense to the company to hire PT. And yes, they do a :shit:ty job. 96% on time failure rate.

PT is used in a lot of one way lanes, such as Miami. Conway did that several years ago. It didn’t make sense when you only have freight flowing one way to run one of our drivers. Not saying I want our guys to have work taken away from them, just pointing it out. You have 12 trailers full one way, only 2 coming back. Makes sense to the company to hire PT. And yes, they do a :shit:ty job. 96% on time failure rate.

Agreed, and we are light outbound. for sure. There's tons of freight available in Miami for outbound routes. It's just that our rates are so much higher than Estes, for example, that we don't get any of it. How about creating a competitive tariff that would allow us to compete with those other carriers for this freight and build our outbound to balance the tonnage and eliminate the need for PT?

Our current wage is most certainly a floor...PERIOD.

Well sure, of course you're going to say that. But *legally*, the only floor is minimum wage. Is that not correct? Of course they wouldn't offer that, but it still gives an awful lot of room for negotiation.

Who's pretending to be a CFO?

You and any other employee that considers themselves qualified to say whether or not XPO is able to give you what you want or dictate "acceptable" profit.

And you can leave if your barn chooses to certify.

Not a chance. If that happens I'd stick around and be the biggest pain in the ass my local has ever seen. But I'm not worried about it- we've got good people at my barn.

You are correct that some of my brothers do NOT share my benevolent fireside manner... Some will never; not a deal breaker for me.

Not if it gets you more yes votes, I'm sure it isn't.

Maybe because the system works...with all it's flaws and irregularities, people understand they are better off inside the circle than outside of it. Improvements will come.

Or maybe that is just all they know. Maybe they are the opposite side of the coin- not loving it, but holding too much seniority to start over. Seems plausible, right? Especially in a state where you have to join to get a job. Sure, whatever, hooray Hoffa- gimme a job. And now it's been 25 years or whatever and you're just holding on and hoping for the best.

If you aren't aware of the damage done to the middle class by "right to work", there's no point in discussing it further.

I think there have been a lot of factors that have damaged the middle class. RTW laws protect people like me from compulsory participation in the shenanigans of people like you.

Now, you may feel the Teamsters are worth breaking, but I hope you're not saying that all unions should be decertified.

Not at all. I don't give a damn about the Teamsters or any other union- I just want them to stay in their sandbox. You'll never see me badmouth them on the ABF or YRC board. I don't discuss it with my friends who work for those companies. Teamsters don't belong at XPO, and if you think they do then you don't belong here either.

So, how do you feel about the policy changes that have occurred since the takeover? Are you happy with them?

Which one? Give me your favorites. I doubt I will be "happy", but you might get "ambivalent".

I think XPO is still trying to find their way. They've made stupid mistakes, and probably will again. But I believe they are trying to make this company successful. I believe that the driver market competition will push wages and benefits up before you guys do. No one is getting fired and rehired at 20 dollars.

Now, it's all about the bottom line.

<sigh> It has always been, and always will be, about the bottom line. No company, not even the legendary Con-ways, has ever been about anything else.

I don't believe that the company should have sole discretion as to identifying what violations deserve immediate termination.

They're the employer! It boggles my mind how casually you can demand to write the rules of your own employment.

The policy, as stated, is an open door for favoritism. We had a driver fired two years ago for falsifying records. Do you want to guess what he falsified? He wrote the wrong trailer number in his VCR.

And I bet there's more to it than that. What happened at the ETRB? I've forgotten to turn in all kinds of paperwork entirely. I've screwed up BOLs and DRs. Never so much as written up. Since HR won't share employee files and therefore that history, your info is from a terminated employee or second hand gossip, so maybe you don't know as much as you think you do.

They scare the ::::shit:::: out of you and somehow convince you that what you have is all you're ever going to get.

I've never heard that assertion. But how is that different from trying to convince you that you'll never get anything or lose something without your new best friends?

Well sure, of course you're going to say that. But *legally*, the only floor is minimum wage. Is that not correct? Of course they wouldn't offer that, but it still gives an awful lot of room for negotiation.

You and any other employee that considers themselves qualified to say whether or not XPO is able to give you what you want or dictate "acceptable" profit.

Not a chance. If that happens I'd stick around and be the biggest pain in the ass my local has ever seen. But I'm not worried about it- we've got good people at my barn.

Not if it gets you more yes votes, I'm sure it isn't.

Or maybe that is just all they know. Maybe they are the opposite side of the coin- not loving it, but holding too much seniority to start over. Seems plausible, right? Especially in a state where you have to join to get a job. Sure, whatever, hooray Hoffa- gimme a job. And now it's been 25 years or whatever and you're just holding on and hoping for the best.
Why would you be the biggest pain in the ass to your local if certified?

And I bet there's more to it than that. What happened at the ETRB? I've forgotten to turn in all kinds of paperwork entirely. I've screwed up BOLs and DRs. Never so much as written up. Since HR won't share employee files and therefore that history, your info is from a terminated employee or second hand gossip, so maybe you don't know as much as you think you do.

ETRB now that's funny. We have had the same happen for the same reasons those must not have been " good " people like at your barn.

They're the employer! It boggles my mind how casually you can demand to write the rules of your own employment.
Answer this, you have 2 drivers, same length of employment, same driving record, they both have the same type of accident, should they both receive the same type of discipline? or should they guy that's pals with the safety guy get a break? It's about the company applying the rules evenly.

Last edited:
Answer this, you have 2 drivers, same length of employment, same driving record, they both have the same type of accident, should they both receive the same type of discipline? or should they guy that's pals with the safety guy get a break? It's about the company applying the rules evenly.
I've personally seen 2 drivers have the same accident.....one terminated, 1 still employed.

Define good people ?

Good employees. Positive, reasonable, hardworking, humble, not walking around with giant chips on their shoulders. Not constantly pulling a crisis out of the sky. Helping people, not lobbying them to join the misery brigade. Big-picture kind of people.

You know, the good people whom only agree with him.

When it comes to this issue, yeah they do. Coincidentally, the handful of people at our place that would support organization go out and move freight, but they're toxic employees. If at-will meant what people seem to think it means, they'd have been gone a long time ago and our barn would be better for it.

Good employees. Positive, reasonable, hardworking, humble, not walking around with giant chips on their shoulders. Not constantly pulling a crisis out of the sky. Helping people, not lobbying them to join the misery brigade. Big-picture kind of people.

When it comes to this issue, yeah they do. Coincidentally, the handful of people at our place that would support organization go out and move freight, but they're toxic employees. If at-will meant what people seem to think it means, they'd have been gone a long time ago and our barn would be better for it.
Union supporters = toxic employees.... That’s a classic Gene....

I said before, once the first contract is signed, it'll be a different world around here....that's why the company is pulling all the rabbits outta the hat. I saw in the news that the Aurora drivers won their case against XPO and that could be a game changer.

I doubt that Aurora will be a game changer. Only a contract will change the playing field. Once someone gets a contract, everything changes.

Answer this, you have 2 drivers, same length of employment, same driving record, they both have the same type of accident, should they both receive the same type of discipline?

If it falls under the same version of the policy, then I think they should. It has to be reported, though- and lots of people roll the dice with accident reporting. And some of them lose their jobs, and some don't, and it's not always as simple as "the safety guy is dating your sister." Then there are SRBs, which do occasionally overturn accidents.

I've got one for you- if you see a minor accident or policy violation, but a supervisor does not, do you report it and insist that if discipline is not issued that you will file a grievance?

About 10 years ago, on separate occasions, I watched two different guys drag themselves into work and work a day. They had cancer, both passed away. They actually made them peddle. It was one of the more obscene things I've ever witnessed.

Deplorable. I have seen similar. Pretty well impossible to get the respect of the crew back after doing some ::shit:: like that to a guy.

Not only did the NLRB order XPO to negotiate, they also alerted the company that the 2 drivers who were fired must be reinstated immediately and with back pay. We'll see how they respond to that. The Supreme Court already refused to hear the Laredo case, so it seems XPO has no choice but to comply.

At this pace. With the tactics they are using. How much longer can they drag this out ? What is the penalty for not complying ? Is the penalty severe enough for them to care ?

Status
Not open for further replies.