XPO | Xpo Union Thread.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Yes, but it still confirms the fact that they can't just simply refuse to bargain wages.

Of course they wouldn't refuse to bargain- that would be illegal. It also doesn't legally mean that your current wage is a floor.

If they say they can't afford it, they have to prove it. And if they say it puts them at a competitive disadvantage, we can prove other wise.

And as I've said before, I don't want to work for a company where truck drivers pretend to be CFOs for a giant corporation.

Hostile takeover???Really?

Absolutely. Maybe you're just a nice guy who is just blissfully unaware that some of your would-be Teamster brothers do not share your benevolent fireside manner.

Absolutely false. I will refer to my post about how Delta Airlines disposed of their senior employees. Health benefits, flight privledges and much more out the window for temp status employees who were paid a fraction of the regulars.

Look at what Ceva is doing right now?

And neither of those is XPO. I'll say it again- no good employee is fired for nothing at XPO.

Multi-employer plans have nothing to do with us nor ever will. It is just a distraction in this topic and nothing more.

It is absolutely relevant to this discussion because union organizers still talk about providing it. It was a promised benefit to current retirees that will not be provided despite union membership. It doesn't matter whose fault it is- the point is that a union card is no guarantee of anything. Who is going to contribute to your pension when they start replacing us with batteries?

I was there during the vote at our location you were not.

Yeah, I know- that's why I can see the forest and you're still mad at the trees.

Partially correct. They voted along with U.S. Teamsters. Their tallies came out in favor of Hoffa Jr.

In the end he still had the most votes , right? And he couldn't have got the most votes without some help from the U.S. Teamsters , right? And , finally , he's still in charge , right?

Neither country elected him. The 82% of the Teamsters who didn't vote elected him.

For all the talk about cleaning it up, everyone seems to be happy. Why would someone hungry for change choose a group that is obviously so dead-set against it?

It is absolutely relevant to this discussion because union organizers still talk about providing it. It was a promised benefit to current retirees that will not be provided despite union membership. It doesn't matter whose fault it is- the point is that a union card is no guarantee of anything. Who is going to contribute to your pension when they start replacing us with batteries?
How would you know what they promise.... We never once heard it and still don't. I think your hearing things . Might be time for a check up.

upnorth said:
Are you ok with the 51-49 mentality?
Yes if a certain region or local is holding out over something petty but the greater good is ok with it.

Interesting how everyone likes majority rules when they're in the majority. But if a majority don't want to join the Teamsters, well then we're all just misinformed company stooges believing those evil union busters while we shake in fear in Right To Work states.

When all your information comes from only one source, you only have a 50% chance of making the right decision.

Ouch. You should run for office assaulting statistics like that. "Right" is relative and your statement is meaningless. Not that you should only get your information from one source, but you can't use probability like that.
If you honestly believe that these companies can't afford to provide us with fair compensation packages, considering record profits and record productivity, you're the guy at the poker table who can't spot the sucker...because it's you.

Fair is relative. Do I think I'm compensated fairly? I do. Would I like more? Of course. Would I like to be represented by the Teamsters to throw a hail mary to get more? No, thank you.

When the company eliminates line haul runs in favor of the much less expensive sub service carriers, how will we dispute that?

We won't have to. Purchase transportation does such a crap job that they'd never take over linehaul, even if there were enough OTR drivers to do it- which there aren't.

When they place a five level disciplinary process in place and state, in the very next paragraph, that they can arbitrarily skip the first four levels and proceed directly to termination, for any employee, for any reason, how can you deal with that?

Do you belive that, say, theft requires 5 steps? Violence or intimidation in the workplace? Falsifying documents? Some things require a swift kick out the door. I don't believe I'm going to get fired for complaining about my peddle.

You've just been in a terrible car accident and you're bleeding to death in the street. The XPO ambulance is 20 miles away but coming down the block is a Teamster ambulance.

No one in this company is going to die without immediate Teamster intervention and the Teamster ambulance is a piece of junk. I think we're better off taking our chances.

The fact remains, the issues you present are not system wide.

Exactly. And that's not to dismiss a bad experience at, say, XPH- but most of the country isn't in that boat. Yet the attacks are on the company as a whole. It's not, "Miami is a terrible terminal with crap management"- but rather "XPO is a terrible company run by terrible people." That's a hard sell to the thousands of us who are content, because it's simply not true.

There are 6 terminals who have certified and several more who voted no.

"Several more"? Come on now, it's at least a dozen that have voted no or withdrawn.

Call me when he's spouting his :horseshit: and watch him melt when I put that situation to him. Call me and then hand him the phone and get a good laugh at the stuttering fool.

LOL everyone is a tough guy that would win a debate when they're on the internet. It'd be just like everyone else when some corporate bigwig visits- sitting on your hands. Gotta have big brother Hoffa talk for you if you want anything done, right?

Of course they wouldn't refuse to bargain- that would be illegal. It also doesn't legally mean that your current wage is a floor.

And as I've said before, I don't want to work for a company where truck drivers pretend to be CFOs for a giant corporation.

Absolutely. Maybe you're just a nice guy who is just blissfully unaware that some of your would-be Teamster brothers do not share your benevolent fireside manner.

And neither of those is XPO. I'll say it again- no good employee is fired for nothing at XPO.

Our current wage is most certainly a floor...PERIOD. The only exception would be negative earnings financials from whatever company is being petitioned. That's another nonsense talking point.

Who's pretending to be a CFO? And you can leave if your barn chooses to certify.

You are correct that some of my brothers do NOT share my benevolent fireside manner. However, they are quickly learning that the current situation is not what it used to be. They are being educated and most will understand the new dynamic in place very soon. Some will never; not a deal breaker for me.

I personally know of 2 in Miami who were fired for absolutely ridiculous reasons. How many others throughout the system have met the same fate. I can't answer that and yet, I'll concede that most are fired for cause. Even one fired unjustly demands a response.

Neither country elected him. The 82% of the Teamsters who didn't vote elected him.

For all the talk about cleaning it up, everyone seems to be happy. Why would someone hungry for change choose a group that is obviously so dead-set against it?

Maybe because the system works...with all it's flaws and irregularities, people understand they are better off inside the circle than outside of it. Improvements will come.

Interesting how everyone likes majority rules when they're in the majority. But if a majority don't want to join the Teamsters, well then we're all just misinformed company stooges believing those evil union busters while we shake in fear in Right To Work states.

If you aren't aware of the damage done to the middle class by "right to work", there's no point in discussing it further. The law is a direct and deliberate attempt to break unions. Now, you may feel the Teamsters are worth breaking, but I hope you're not saying that all unions should be decertified. You would truly witness the race to the bottom then.

Exactly. And that's not to dismiss a bad experience at, say, XPH- but most of the country isn't in that boat. Yet the attacks are on the company as a whole. It's not, "Miami is a terrible terminal with crap management"- but rather "XPO is a terrible company run by terrible people." That's a hard sell to the thousands of us who are content, because it's simply not true.

I would say that those of you who are content should remain so. No one is forcing you to certify. Most of us, especially in the south, feel differently. So, how do you feel about the policy changes that have occurred since the takeover? Are you happy with them? Every one of them has taken something from you for the benefit of the company, at your expense. Are you shouting "Thank you sir, may I have another" yet?

Ouch. You should run for office assaulting statistics like that. "Right" is relative and your statement is meaningless. Not that you should only get your information from one source, but you can't use probability like that.

Fair is relative. Do I think I'm compensated fairly? I do. Would I like more? Of course. Would I like to be represented by the Teamsters to throw a hail mary to get more? No, thank you.

You're right, I should run for office. The probability is accurate, nonetheless. In every decision you make, there is a 50% chance of making the wrong choice. Unless, of course, there are more than 2 choices.

Of course, you would like more. Of course you would like a better health care plan. Of course you would like OT after 8 or an 8 hour guarantee. Of course you'd like to come to work knowing that you can't be fired without cause. I'd like all those things and more. The difference between you and me is that I am willing to try...you, for whatever reason are not.

We won't have to. Purchase transportation does such a crap job that they'd never take over linehaul, even if there were enough OTR drivers to do it- which there aren't.

Do you belive that, say, theft requires 5 steps? Violence or intimidation in the workplace? Falsifying documents? Some things require a swift kick out the door. I don't believe I'm going to get fired for complaining about my peddle.

No one in this company is going to die without immediate Teamster intervention and the Teamster ambulance is a piece of junk. I think we're better off taking our chances.

I can't comment on your situation, but purchase transportation represents a considerable share of the inbound here in Miami. They do a terrible job, as you state. So, why are we still using them? Evidently Mr. Jacobs feels they are good enough. If they are good enough for Miami, they may be coming for you. This is just my opinion based on the modus operandi of the current upper management team. Long term goals associated with the Lean Program are long gone. Now, it's all about the bottom line.

I believe that theft, violence and some other egregious violations certainly deserve termination. I don't believe that the company should have sole discretion as to identifying what violations deserve immediate termination. The policy, as stated, is an open door for favoritism. We had a driver fired two years ago for falsifying records. Do you want to guess what he falsified? He wrote the wrong trailer number in his VCR. Just an example of how a broad policy like that can be abused.

If I'm going to take chances, I'm going to do whatever I can to improve those chances of a favorable result. You should too.

"Several more"? Come on now, it's at least a dozen that have voted no or withdrawn.

LOL everyone is a tough guy that would win a debate when they're on the internet. It'd be just like everyone else when some corporate bigwig visits- sitting on your hands. Gotta have big brother Hoffa talk for you if you want anything done, right?

I used the word several because I wasn't sure of the actual number that withdrew or voted no. It might very well be 10 or 12. I'm just not sure.

LOL, your final comment shows just how desperate you are to push my button. I have openly supported this campaign from day one. I have spoken at meetings and I have challenged union busters face to face. I will continue to do so and I am a tough guy, although at my age my toughness is more intellectual as opposed to physical. I'll have this debate with anyone, at any time in any venue. The company would never approve it, because their lies and misrepresentations would be exposed. They are quite satisfied with the situation the way it is right now. Captive audiences with no possibility of challenging anything that is presented as truth. They scare the ::shit:: out of you and somehow convince you that what you have is all you're ever going to get. Those who have recently entered this profession have no frame of reference. This is all they've ever known. Those of us who have been around for a while, should know better. Anyway, I guess nobody was banned. Good to hear.

Status
Not open for further replies.