XPO | Xpo Union Thread.

Status
Not open for further replies.
As I said, I'll reserve any comments until I hear the whole story. I do NOT support using any electronic device while driving any motor vehicle, especially when there are many blue tooth devices available to us. Let me ask you all if you have ever picked up your handheld, while sitting in traffic to check the order of the pick ups on you? How about a text from your daughter when she's supposed to be in school? My wife always texts me because she knows I won't pick up during the workday. Once, she called and when I looked down , and saw it was her, I naturally assumed the worst and picked it up...the very second I hit a huge pothole.

My point is not that there shouldn't be discipline. My point is that there are extenuating circumstances that should be considered. 2 million miles accident free and 24 years of service should be given some consideration when issuing discipline. I don't know if this was his first time or third time. Was he driving 70 miles per hour or stuck in traffic? It should matter! In any event, here is what the March 01, 2018 Hand Book says about discipline. The section begins by listing the 5 types of discipline that we all know and love....THEN, is says this:

"The company does NOT follow a specific progressive discipline policy, but rather, reserves the right in it's sole discretion to decide which type of discipline to issue in response to each situation, including terminating employees, WITHOUT A PRIOR WARNING if, in the company's discretion, circumstances so warrant."

This should be unsettling, at the very least. For all of us "good drivers" out there, you could be one minor mistake from termination. It's solely at their discretion. The Teamsters can't save every job, but they can get those extenuating circumstances in front of an impartial arbitrator, who, quite often, CAN save your job. It happens every day.

I haven't heard of anyone, in the last 5 years, that was ever let go, who wasn't given every opportunity to stay. A CDL is a hard thing to find. And they do actually use progressive discipline. They give a ton of talks or verbal communication. And several written warnings or write ups. Usually when a guy gets fired here there is a book of ::shit:: for why. Which is a better argument for you for a union. You should be more against the way they often times put things in our files WITHOUT our knowledge. And then we are blindsided by the avalanche of everything we have ever done at a termination hearing. But most of us don't even care about that any more. Everyone is just quitting. The company would have to really move fast if it wanted a chance to fire somebody now a days.

We are building a pyramid (contract) without a crane to lift the stones. If everyone would come just out of their safe spaces and participate, the pyramid (contract) would have been completed already. For any of you who hate the Teamsters, give me an alternative. How do we change the direction of this company without any outside assistance?

The Egyptians didn't have a crane to use when they built the pyramids ???? What do you need one for ??? Either do the work or give up. Don't cry about how nobody else will do it for you. Sound like a damn millennial.

And this company has taken a serious and drastic change in course. It's gone straight to ::shit::. And no one is left that cares at all. Look at how many of the rats up top have jumped off this flaming turd. Look at how many former lifers have taken to holding new wheels.

What good could possibly come from all of this ? With a trade war brewing and recession on the horizon ? A company saddled in debt and lost in it's purpose. Jacobs swung for the fences and popped out to the catcher. It happens.

I haven't heard of anyone, in the last 5 years, that was ever let go, who wasn't given every opportunity to stay. A CDL is a hard thing to find. And they do actually use progressive discipline. They give a ton of talks or verbal communication. And several written warnings or write ups. Usually when a guy gets fired here there is a book of :::shit::: for why. Which is a better argument for you for a union. You should be more against the way they often times put things in our files WITHOUT our knowledge. And then we are blindsided by the avalanche of everything we have ever done at a termination hearing. But most of us don't even care about that any more. Everyone is just quitting. The company would have to really move fast if it wanted a chance to fire somebody now a days.

No argument from me on this one. I'm concerned with nearly everything this company has done since the buy out. None of it benefits us!

The Egyptians didn't have a crane to use when they built the pyramids ???? What do you need one for ??? Either do the work or give up. Don't cry about how nobody else will do it for you. Sound like a damn millennial.

Let me rephrase. Of course, they didn't have a crane. If they all stood by while 100 men attempted to move those stones, the pyramids could not have been built. If they all stood by saying let's see what happens, no stone could have ever been moved. It's only when they ALL worked together, that the task was accomplished. I'm not asking anyone to do the work FOR me. I'm asking everyone to do the work WITH me. Your solution seems to be to do nothing or quit. That's not an option for many of the drivers that I know. If I am misreading you, please let me know.

Interesting read on how Bradley may be much smarter than all of us after all.
https://seekingalpha.com/article/4267536-xpo-logistics-cash-generating-machine?page=2

Certainly not my conclusion. I don't understand much of this stuff. This is the conclusion of the author of the article, for those of us who don't have the patience to read the entire article.

CONCLUSION:
I initially bought shares on the basis of an incredible combination of growth and value brought on by Bradley Jacobs' brilliance. I think many investors with a similar thesis abandoned ship when XPO ditched their M&A strategy in the short-term. XPO quickly adapted to the downturn by initiating their share buyback program. This flexibility shows Jacobs' commitment to generating shareholder value by whatever means. I view this shift as a positive.

Transportation and logistics is a backbone to the economy. XPO's roll-up strategy, scale, and proprietary technology give it sizable competitive advantage. The company produces strong cash flow and is poised to continue to generate shareholder value into the future.

We are building a pyramid (contract) without a crane to lift the stones. If everyone would come just out of their safe spaces and participate, the pyramid (contract) would have been completed already. For any of you who hate the Teamsters, give me an alternative. How do we change the direction of this company without any outside assistance?
They have none and besides it’s never them. They’re a star employee to good to be f’d with , certainty they would never fire them . Multi million mile drivers with near perfect long careers all the sudden they have become reckless . I think not ! Should give you pause.

Good riddance. If you can't keep the phone out of your hand you should not be driving a truck. It's bad enough with every other 4 wheeler not paying attention. I suspose you feel this is some sort of injustice that can be corrected with a Union contract?
Do you have any drive cam events?
How did we ever survive without it ? I guess everyone the has a million plus miles should have their awards be revoked because certainly there not deserved.
My cell phone goes into my lunch box when I start my day. My hand held is shut off . I turn it off until I’m done my deliveries . Dispatch needs me it will have to wait . Can’t risk the possibility of getting caught on camera . Out of sight out of mind . Most of my calls during the day come from dispatch. I’m sorry I did not make the rules I tell them if they need me before I turn it on . They call my handheld and then my cell phone if I don’t answer . Not going to split hairs . It’s cut and dry as long as that policy is in place . I’m a team player but....

Interesting read on how Bradley may be much smarter than all of us after all.
https://seekingalpha.com/article/4267536-xpo-logistics-cash-generating-machine?page=2

Certainly not my conclusion. I don't understand much of this stuff. This is the conclusion of the author of the article, for those of us who don't have the patience to read the entire article.

CONCLUSION:
I initially bought shares on the basis of an incredible combination of growth and value brought on by Bradley Jacobs' brilliance. I think many investors with a similar thesis abandoned ship when XPO ditched their M&A strategy in the short-term. XPO quickly adapted to the downturn by initiating their share buyback program. This flexibility shows Jacobs' commitment to generating shareholder value by whatever means. I view this shift as a positive.

Transportation and logistics is a backbone to the economy. XPO's roll-up strategy, scale, and proprietary technology give it sizable competitive advantage. The company produces strong cash flow and is poised to continue to generate shareholder value into the future.

I'm sorry, but this is written by a kid in college with absolutely no clue what the hell he is talking about. You or I could give a better assessment. There are countless articles on the subject of XPO and it's future. Written by people that have years in the business. I'll stick to the opinions held in them over something like this.

Let me rephrase. Of course, they didn't have a crane. If they all stood by while 100 men attempted to move those stones, the pyramids could not have been built. If they all stood by saying let's see what happens, no stone could have ever been moved. It's only when they ALL worked together, that the task was accomplished. I'm not asking anyone to do the work FOR me. I'm asking everyone to do the work WITH me. Your solution seems to be to do nothing or quit. That's not an option for many of the drivers that I know. If I am misreading you, please let me know.

They didn't have any choice. They were slaves.

Options are.... make the best of it day by day or quit. It's not getting any better. At least not around here. And local management is trying. There's just only so much that you can do with nothing. With Brooks back, now Clark quits. There is a dynamic at the top of the food chain that has changed dramatically. We will see if any of that makes it down to us.

If you are to scared to quit. That's okay. I still work here, too. I get it. But eventually, we are going to be further motivated than we are presently. And I am not at all worried about it. I got a valid CDL in my pocket. One way or another. It'll all work out. I've been through some tough ::shit::. And sooner or later I am gonna die and none of it will have meant a thing. Don't forget to do your best to live your life right now. Because that's exactly when it's happening. Right now.

I'm sorry, but this is written by a kid in college with absolutely no clue what the hell he is talking about. You or I could give a better assessment. There are countless articles on the subject of XPO and it's future. Written by people that have years in the business. I'll stick to the opinions held in them over something like this.

It is from a kid in college. I didn't realize that until I clicked on his name. This was sent to me by someone and I shared it only because I felt it might give some of us a little hope for the future. My bad for not checking the source. When you're right, you're right.

They didn't have any choice. They were slaves.

Options are.... make the best of it day by day or quit. It's not getting any better. At least not around here. And local management is trying. There's just only so much that you can do with nothing. With Brooks back, now Clark quits. There is a dynamic at the top of the food chain that has changed dramatically. We will see if any of that makes it down to us.

If you are to scared to quit. That's okay. I still work here, too. I get it. But eventually, we are going to be further motivated than we are presently. And I am not at all worried about it. I got a valid CDL in my pocket. One way or another. It'll all work out. I've been through some tough :::shit:::. And sooner or later I am gonna die and none of it will have meant a thing. Don't forget to do your best to live your life right now. Because that's exactly when it's happening. Right now.

I heard that Tom Clark was no longer with us and while I can't argue with anything that you've said, I still think it's worth the effort to try to change it. It costs nothing and if enough people do it, things will change. For better or for worse, but things will change. Not trying to convince you, just agreeing to disagree.

They have none and besides it’s never them. They’re a star employee to good to be f’d with , certainty they would never fire them . Multi million mile drivers with near perfect long careers all the sudden they have become reckless . I think not ! Should give you pause.

I am an all star employee. Not because I try any harder or give any fantastic effort. But because my peers are incompetent and incapable. They make me look like a hero every day. And I really appreciate it. Because I am getting older. And not moving like I used to. So them providing such a horrific back drop of failure keeps people from noticing how I've lost a step. As much as it sometimes bothers me to be constantly delivering ::shit:: that went out yesterday and sometimes two or three days previous. It just makes me look like some unbelievably gifted get 'er dun kinda guy.

And that's really cool. Because that has to be the only reason they don't fire me. I'm an angry, old asshat. I mess stuff up everyday. Not one day goes perfect. Ever. Just fixing frak ups all day long. And if they did want to fire me. They wouldn't have to look hard for an excuse. You talk about million milers and guys with 30 year safety awards and stuff. I ain't that guy. Just an idiot with a CDL. Dumb enough to show up and take the money.

I am an all star employee. Not because I try any harder or give any fantastic effort. But because my peers are incompetent and incapable. They make me look like a hero every day. And I really appreciate it. Because I am getting older. And not moving like I used to. So them providing such a horrific back drop of failure keeps people from noticing how I've lost a step. As much as it sometimes bothers me to be constantly delivering :::shit::: that went out yesterday and sometimes two or three days previous. It just makes me look like some unbelievably gifted get 'er dun kinda guy.

And that's really cool. Because that has to be the only reason they don't fire me. I'm an angry, old asshat. I mess stuff up everyday. Not one day goes perfect. Ever. Just fixing frak ups all day long. And if they did want to fire me. They wouldn't have to look hard for an excuse. You talk about million milers and guys with 30 year safety awards and stuff. I ain't that guy. Just an idiot with a CDL. Dumb enough to show up and take the money.

Yeah, you stole my story.

I haven't heard of anyone, in the last 5 years, that was ever let go, who wasn't given every opportunity to stay. A CDL is a hard thing to find. And they do actually use progressive discipline. They give a ton of talks or verbal communication. And several written warnings or write ups. Usually when a guy gets fired here there is a book of :::shit::: for why. Which is a better argument for you for a union. You should be more against the way they often times put things in our files WITHOUT our knowledge. And then we are blindsided by the avalanche of everything we have ever done at a termination hearing. But most of us don't even care about that any more. Everyone is just quitting. The company would have to really move fast if it wanted a chance to fire somebody now a days.
"You should be more against the way they often times put things in our files WITHOUT our knowledge. And then we are blindsided by the avalanche of everything we have ever done at a termination hearing." - Highspeeds

This is for real.

Other than a union, there is little way to change the company and keep our jobs so why bother? The company is gonna do what it's gonna do. If there is any change to come around, it will most likely come from the outside in the form of a hard economic times or a buyout. I'm done worrying about it. Between reporting to work to earn money and taking care of business at home, I do not have the desire, time, or energy to crusade for a change coming from within this company. For me, it would just be more practical to quit and work somewhere else.

Other than a union, there is little way to change the company and keep our jobs so why bother? The company is gonna do what it's gonna do. If there is any change to come around, it will most likely come from the outside in the form of a hard economic times or a buyout. I'm done worrying about it. Between reporting to work to earn money and taking care of business at home, I do not have the desire, time, or energy to crusade for a change coming from within this company. For me, it would just be more practical to quit and work somewhere else.
I think there is a lot of frustration and angst do too the uncertainty of the future. Not many feel secure.

You can ride it out, fight for Change or quit.

Do you have any drive cam events?
How did we ever survive without it ? I guess everyone the has a million plus miles should have their awards be revoked because certainly there not deserved.
My cell phone goes into my lunch box when I start my day. My hand held is shut off . I turn it off until I’m done my deliveries . Dispatch needs me it will have to wait . Can’t risk the possibility of getting caught on camera . Out of sight out of mind . Most of my calls during the day come from dispatch. I’m sorry I did not make the rules I tell them if they need me before I turn it on . They call my handheld and then my cell phone if I don’t answer . Not going to split hairs . It’s cut and dry as long as that policy is in place . I’m a team player but....
I have a few drive cam events, all of them I was wrong and I learned from them. You and your boy Hollywoodz are a couple of Union trolls. You both hate your employeer "assuming your actually drivers" and every post is how the company is screwing drivers. Never a good word, never a benefit to working here. You both talk crap all the time about The benefits of organizing and you both have ZERO to show for it. In my opinion, you 2 should STFU until you have something to show for for all of your talk.

Ok0RRlQ.jpg

There’s a lot of “ paid for “ assessments to put a positive spin on things. All major companies have a PR people to do this . Xpo is particularly good at it to try to manipulate investor sediment. If you follow the pattern they have set you can see it’s the same people writing the spin over and over.

In this case ,oddly enough ,it’s not even a person in the industry .
Seems almost scripted

Joseph Kowaleski
Finance student at Rowan University, aspiring professional investor. I seek to find undervalued growth companies taking advantage of mega trends. Mostly focused on small to mid cap companies.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.