XPO | Xpo Union Thread.

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have a few drive cam events, all of them I was wrong and I learned from them. You and your boy Hollywoodz are a couple of Union trolls. You both hate your employeer "assuming your actually drivers" and every post is how the company is screwing drivers. Never a good word, never a benefit to working here. You both talk crap all the time about The benefits of organizing and you both have ZERO to show for it. In my opinion, you 2 should STFU until you have something to show for for all of your talk.
What exactly is so great about working here ?

It's funny you should say that because I just had a discussion last week with my business agent. Some of our guys were getting 55+ hours per week, yet others were getting less than 40. We still use some drivers on the outbound dock and those 55+ guys were out there every night. I asked my TM to arrange for the guys with the least amount of hours to get that dock time and he agreed. My business agent disagreed and said that by strict seniority rules, those 55+ guys get the dock time and those junior guys go home. I said not as long as I am your shop steward.

I don't agree with everything the Teamsters do. Now, when a contract is signed, that situation may pose some problems for me. Senior guys can grieve that situation and win. That would cause my TM to go right back to giving the senior guys the dock time and sending the junior guys home.

I DO think a 24 year, 2 million mile guy deserves some consideration when rules are applied. Unless it's a catastrophic event, rules can be modified to accommodate someone with an outstanding history of service to the company. We get a credit for each year of accident free driving, up to 2, I believe. Why can't something similar be done for drive cam events. Also, under what circumstances did the event occur. Was he driving 70 mph in the rain, or was he sitting in bumper to bumper traffic. It makes a difference.

It's in these types of situations where a grievance and arbitration process can save a GOOD drivers job.
Seniority rules on overtime at night after peddling freight . The only time it doesn’t is if a jr guy doesn’t have his 8 hours yet . This is in a union barn of course . Senior guy can stay until a jr guy comes in from a peddle run . If senior guy wants overtime and the jr guy has 8 plus hours senior man can send jr guy home unless he is needed on the dock .

There was a driver who rolled a set three times. Addicted to social media. On his phone all three times. Even after the third one, took a while to fire him.

That guy should have been fired and nothing could have or should have saved his job. There are guys that I know personally who should be doing anything other than driving a truck.

My concern is for the good guys who get trapped by trivial details. I resigned as a drive cam coach because I felt hypocritical coaching men on behavior I exhibited on a regular basis. Slowing to 1 mph at a stop sign, 15 feet from the intersection and then rolling up until I could see that the path was clear. BUT...I didn't come to a FULL STOP. I remove my seatbelt before backing in anywhere, BUT... my front wheels are still on a public roadway. Following distance is a healthy and advisable 4 seconds, BUT...I was 3 & 3/4 seconds behind the lead vehicle. Really? You leave 4 seconds here in Miami and there are 5 Cubans ready to fill that gap. No offense to all my Cuban friends, but...that's reality here.

Mortgage paid, utilities paid, car note paid, saving money every pay check for retirement with a little cash left over to go have some fun. Isn't that a good thing? I am for the record very much pro Union. My father was a Union man his entire working career. I saw the benefits of it for the working man of this country my entire life. He never got rich but the mortgage got paid etc etc, just like I am doing now for my family. I recognize that a dollar does not go as far as it use to. I recognize that our health insurance is not anywhere near what it used to be. I also recognize that until a terminal that has organized can show concrete results of that organizing, the Union push will go nowhere. It's all talk, no results. I want Sucker and Hollywood to succeed in their endeavours but I don't think they will. I would like better insurance and a match to my 401k but for me to complain about what I earn would be like crying wolf.

I appreciate this post much more than the previous one. Thank you. I never knew that there were line haul guys in this system making that kind of money and I understand that it would be difficult for you to advocate for change. Why would you?

The only three things I can say about that is most guys aren't making that kind of money and some are even sitting home while subs carry their freight and cash their paychecks. Second, you might benefit by looking forward and reading the handwriting on the wall. Just in my opinion , certainly without any privileged information, but based on their penchant for sub service, Line haul may be the first job classification to hit the chopping block in their relentless drive for increased profits and shareholder value. Third, as some have previously stated, our benefits suck.

I want every truck driver in the country, no matter whose colors they wear, to enjoy the benefits and compensation for the work we all do. The thing that gnaws on what's left of my brain is how well this company convinces us that they really want what's best for us, when their refusal to even consider Team Care shows the exact opposite.

Seniority rules on overtime at night after peddling freight . The only time it doesn’t is if a jr guy doesn’t have his 8 hours yet . This is in a union barn of course . Senior guy can stay until a jr guy comes in from a peddle run . If senior guy wants overtime and the jr guy has 8 plus hours senior man can send jr guy home unless he is needed on the dock .

That's exactly as I understand the policy also.

I have a few drive cam events, all of them I was wrong and I learned from them. You and your boy Hollywoodz are a couple of Union trolls. You both hate your employeer "assuming your actually drivers" and every post is how the company is screwing drivers. Never a good word, never a benefit to working here. You both talk crap all the time about The benefits of organizing and you both have ZERO to show for it. In my opinion, you 2 should STFU until you have something to show for for all of your talk.
but yet the still show up and cash that paycheck

It's funny you should say that because I just had a discussion last week with my business agent. Some of our guys were getting 55+ hours per week, yet others were getting less than 40. We still use some drivers on the outbound dock and those 55+ guys were out there every night. I asked my TM to arrange for the guys with the least amount of hours to get that dock time and he agreed. My business agent disagreed and said that by strict seniority rules, those 55+ guys get the dock time and those junior guys go home. I said not as long as I am your shop steward.

I don't agree with everything the Teamsters do. Now, when a contract is signed, that situation may pose some problems for me. Senior guys can grieve that situation and win. That would cause my TM to go right back to giving the senior guys the dock time and sending the junior guys home.

I DO think a 24 year, 2 million mile guy deserves some consideration when rules are applied. Unless it's a catastrophic event, rules can be modified to accommodate someone with an outstanding history of service to the company. We get a credit for each year of accident free driving, up to 2, I believe. Why can't something similar be done for drive cam events. Also, under what circumstances did the event occur. Was he driving 70 mph in the rain, or was he sitting in bumper to bumper traffic. It makes a difference.

It's in these types of situations where a grievance and arbitration process can save a GOOD drivers job.
Here a quote from ROADBOSS, post #7795 page 390.
Most of these guys could care less about a collective bargaining agreement ,It’s all for me ,and F- every body else.

Sound like you have a clock sucker problem at you barn. Those drivers getting 55+ is only think about themselves. It also sound like you have a management problem. I don't know how other barns work but at mine if you are over 8 and you are need on the dock then when a driver that started later then you come in you are sent home. Also anyone on OT is always sent home first. Anyone on straight time gets any late runs or dock time first.

Here a quote from ROADBOSS, post #7795 page 390.
Most of these guys could care less about a collective bargaining agreement ,It’s all for me ,and F- every body else.

Sound like you have a clock sucker problem at you barn. Those drivers getting 55+ is only think about themselves. It also sound like you have a management problem. I don't know how other barns work but at mine if you are over 8 and you are need on the dock then when a driver that started later then you come in you are sent home. Also anyone on OT is always sent home first. Anyone on straight time gets any late runs or dock time first.

I'm guessing there are clock suckers at every barn. Sometimes, management is too busy doing other things to notice everything.

I know they call my handheld because they always call that first then my cell. My radio is always on , no policy against that. Yet.
but you said "My hand held is shut off . I turn it off until I’m done my deliveries . Dispatch needs me it will have to wait" in post #7807
So do you turn it off or not

I appreciate this post much more than the previous one. Thank you. I never knew that there were line haul guys in this system making that kind of money and I understand that it would be difficult for you to advocate for change. Why would you?

The only three things I can say about that is most guys aren't making that kind of money and some are even sitting home while subs carry their freight and cash their paychecks. Second, you might benefit by looking forward and reading the handwriting on the wall. Just in my opinion , certainly without any privileged information, but based on their penchant for sub service, Line haul may be the first job classification to hit the chopping block in their relentless drive for increased profits and shareholder value. Third, as some have previously stated, our benefits suck.

I want every truck driver in the country, no matter whose colors they wear, to enjoy the benefits and compensation for the work we all do. The thing that gnaws on what's left of my brain is how well this company convinces us that they really want what's best for us, when their refusal to even consider Team Care shows the exact opposite.
There all kinds of drivers earning this kind of money. We have paid our dues and sucked up the crap start times, breaking skids down, sort and segs, and hustling for hours. We earned this money by earning our stripes. Truckingboards is not representative of the silent majority of drivers. There are drivers at my barn that make more than that.

but you said "My hand held is shut off . I turn it off until I’m done my deliveries . Dispatch needs me it will have to wait" in post #7807
So do you turn it off or not
Just out of curiosity , what difference does it make if the handheld is on or not? ( if he's peddling , he might miss a pick-up at a stop he's delivering to , but that's assuming he can fit it on a trailer with freight that still needs delivered )

With some of the things asked of P&D drivers as far as the handheld goes , they can slow a driver down. How much faster would a P&D driver be without all of the nonsense? ( with the benefits of computerization and software calling the shots there are some drawbacks )

Some drivers remember peddling without any of the "technological advances" and everything was just fine.

Damn. I sound old. Get off my lawn!

Your getting screwed over with terrible benes for one
I worked here when benefits cost us 1% of our weekly gross. Guys right above me paid zero. When my oldest son was born it cost me $250. I hired on with a a pension and a 401k match. I know how much health and welfare has declined through the years. I know how much we have lost. That was all Con-way. Do I want back what we lost? Of course I do but the Union barns have not produced a thing. Show me the results of organizing and watch my terminal organize. Nuff said.

No place else to go. And...I have seen first hand the benefits of union membership and I would like for every driver I know to enjoy those benefits.
Don't worry with the union supporting Democratic candidates that support single payer/Medicare for all. That union healthcare plan will be made illegal. Then you can sit back and watch the govt take 40% or more of you check in taxes

Just out of curiosity , what difference does it make if the handheld is on or not? ( if he's peddling , he might miss a pick-up at a stop he's delivering to , but that's assuming he can fit it on a trailer with freight that still needs delivered )

With some of the things asked of P&D drivers as far as the handheld goes , they can slow a driver down. How much faster would a P&D driver be without all of the nonsense? ( with the benefits of computerization and software calling the shots there are some drawbacks )

Some drivers remember peddling without any of the "technological advances" and everything was just fine.

Damn. I sound old. Get off my lawn!
In one post #7807 he said "My cell phone goes into my lunch box when I start my day. My hand held is shut off . I turn it off until I’m done my deliveries ." Then in post #7837 he said "I know they call my handheld because they always call that first"
Last I checked when you turn off the HH the phone doesn't ring. I'm asking how does he know they called his HH first.

In one post #7807 he said "My cell phone goes into my lunch box when I start my day. My hand held is shut off . I turn it off until I’m done my deliveries ." Then in post #7837 he said "I know they call my handheld because they always call that first"
Last I checked when you turn off the HH the phone doesn't ring. I'm asking how does he know they called his HH first.
They probably tell him. When a driver has issues with their handheld it's not unusual for someone ( from the office and/or dispatch ) to call , it is annoying though.

Status
Not open for further replies.