XPO | Xpo Union Thread.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Government was involved when it was regulated. After 1980 when it deregulated and the government pulled out is when all the lower wage competitors came into play undermining good union wages.
If everyone in this industry stuck together and had one another’s back . It would change back in our favor.

Correct me if I'm wrong but don't we make more money the YRC and ABF

If only wages are considered, we make more per hour. However, union companies have compensation packages we can only dream of. The top compensation package in the industry is ABF at about 43.64 per hour. I may be off by a few cents. Even YRC is slightly above us in total compensation. And for anyone about to point out the sorry state that is Central States Pension, there are 2 or 3 bills in Congress that could very well restore everyone's pension...if Americans wake up and understand how to best use their right to vote to support politicians who support us. You can look it up.

“According to Business Insider, the median wage for truck drivers in 1977 hovered around $96,552 in today's dollars. Place that next to the current average of $43,680, and you'll see there's been a 45% decline in wages.”

You should be appalled by that fact. With the union decline so went the wages . That statement says it all. You have not seen the bottom yet.

They were called chauffeurs licenses back then and a Class 1 driver in New York was making $25.00 an hour back then.

67246816_10156254489836674_5215333076195868672_n.jpg

In hourly/mileage rate yes. But they pay zero for healthcare ( with substantially better coverage ) and a company paid pension. That evens things up at least. Ups freight is above us.
Plus we have guys paying $300 a month in insurance premiums.
Paid for waiting also whats all this detention pay after 2 hours what are we chop liver the first 2 hours

Good deal i had to break a set to turn around for a road closure the payroll lady wouldnt pay me for it said i needed to have the state trooper sign my trip sheet
Good deal i had to break a set to turn around for a road closure the payroll lady wouldnt pay me for it said i needed to have the state trooper sign my trip sheet
The trooper was shining the flashlite to helpout the process having a trooper as a a helper putting a set together was makin me nervous

I have heard talk from those considering unionization that they believe the Teamsters are trying to organize Xpo to fund the Central States pension fund . Can someone tell me how that would work ?

If only wages are considered, we make more per hour. However, union companies have compensation packages we can only dream of. The top compensation package in the industry is ABF at about 43.64 per hour. I may be off by a few cents. Even YRC is slightly above us in total compensation. And for anyone about to point out the sorry state that is Central States Pension, there are 2 or 3 bills in Congress that could very well restore everyone's pension...if Americans wake up and understand how to best use their right to vote to support politicians who support us. You can look it up.
Ups package is $36.44 on lil del trucks , feeders I believe $1 more an hour with benes must be way over $50 an hour hourly . XPO guys should really take it what benes alonecwould save them yearly ! It’s a no brainer !

Ups package is $36.44 on lil del trucks , feeders I believe $1 more an hour with benes must be way over $50 an hour hourly . XPO guys should really take it what benes alonecwould save them yearly ! It’s a no brainer !
In our area their more that an hour.

I agree with the last sentence. Why are drivers ok with going backwards.

Last edited:
I have a hard time under a great economy since 2009 and a severe driver shortage why drivers are willing to take less , not to mention more discipline and ways to fire drivers.

It’s insane.

I have heard talk from those considering unionization that they believe the Teamsters are trying to organize Xpo to fund the Central States pension fund . Can someone tell me how that would work ?
They would only go into cspf if they voted or negotiated it, and then only those in the cspf area.

It would not work, nor are they trying to do so. I can only speak for XPO, but no unit bargaining today is even considering the CSPF. We are working on enhancements to our 401K program. There is legislation that just passed the House to restore the CSPF and make everyone whole, however, it still has a giant hurdle in front of it , as the Senate surely won't go for it. It may be a future consideration if the fund can be restored by other means.

In 2008 the company i was at put an add in the paper for a dockworker hundreds of people showed up on a monday morning my boss got scared , locked the gate and sent us home , when the smoke cleared they hired a laidoff plumber that had no clue how to do the job

That's a scare tactic used by companies. I remember reading that no new companies would be allowed into the CSPF. So no worries about that. Companies don't like unions because they have to follow rules just like you and I and the workers have more protection.

I understand that no one is going to vote to get into the CSPF . I don’t even think it’s possible. I guess what I’m asking from the never union crowd that buys into the theory of this is why the Teamsters want you . How does a new union members money or for that matter an employers contribution go to propping up a stressed pension fund that has nothing to do with them?

Status
Not open for further replies.