XPO | Xpo Union Thread.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Yup lets do away with al the tariffs so more jobs can go overseas

I actually favor tariffs, unfortunately, mandating tariffs by executive order is completely foolish. In the first place, meaningful discussion between the two nations could have avoided all of this. We have a 460 Billion dollar trade deficit with China. Who do you think will blink first? Americans blow a gasket if the elevator is out of service and they have to walk up a flight of stairs. Chinese people are raised on sacrifice and hard times. China has already contracted new suppliers in Brazil and other South American countries for their soybean imports. That market may be lost forever to our American farmers. They are buying Maine lobsters from Canada. Another lost market that may never return. And so much more. Yes, tariffs, but please do it the right way.

Meaningful tariffs must be debated in Congress and enacted by passing laws authorizing them. If you were a businessman looking to invest 30 million dollars in a solar panel factory, wouldn't you want some assurances that the tariffs that make your business viable will remain in place for many years to come. What if the tariffs on Chinese solar panels was repealed after 3 years; 30 million out the window. Or, if they are the whim of a politician, who may change his mind when you're halfway through building your factory, you would lose everything.

I actually favor tariffs, unfortunately, mandating tariffs by executive order is completely foolish. In the first place, meaningful discussion between the two nations could have avoided all of this. We have a 460 Billion dollar trade deficit with China. Who do you think will blink first? Americans blow a gasket if the elevator is out of service and they have to walk up a flight of stairs. Chinese people are raised on sacrifice and hard times. China has already contracted new suppliers in Brazil and other South American countries for their soybean imports. That market may be lost forever to our American farmers. They are buying Maine lobsters from Canada. Another lost market that may never return. And so much more. Yes, tariffs, but please do it the right way.

Meaningful tariffs must be debated in Congress and enacted by passing laws authorizing them. If you were a businessman looking to invest 30 million dollars in a solar panel factory, wouldn't you want some assurances that the tariffs that make your business viable will remain in place for many years to come. What if the tariffs on Chinese solar panels was repealed after 3 years; 30 million out the window. Or, if they are the whim of a politician, who may change his mind when you're halfway through building your factory, you would lose everything.
Ya, let's do away with all the tariffs, then all the illegal aliens will move to China for work.

So you support labor ? You are for unions and the betterment of American labor , just long as it’s not in the trucking industry? American made cars are union shops( except for foreign brands) . So you must see some value in unions because your supporting union made brands. Help me understand why it’s ok for some and not for others.

Why not buy from non union makers if your anti union and support them ? Your labor beliefs do not support your buying habits
I said I do everything I can to buy an American made product. The point being American made. Yes some are union made, but they are American made. The real question is. You are a big support of labor and union so what do you do? What do you driver? If i went to any of these barns that voted in the union how many union made cars and motorcycle will I see?You can talk the talk, but can you walk the walk?
If you all what some fun the next time the union is standing at you gate go look and see what they are driving? Better yet go to the union carriers and see what's in the parking lot. I saw two standing at a on barn, one was in a VW and the other was in a Toyota.

Last edited:
I said I do everything I can to buy an American made product. The point being American made. Yes some are union made, but they are American made. The real question is. You are a big support of labor and union so what do you do? What do you driver? If i went to any of these barns that voted in the union how many union made cars and motorcycle will I see?You can talk the talk, but can you walk the walk?
If you all what some fun the next time the union is standing at you gate go look and see what they are driving? Better yet go to the union carriers and see what's in the parking lot. I saw two standing at a on barn, one was in a VW and the other was in a Toyota.
I own 4 domestic brand vehicles currently. No foreign made.
Our union President drives a Ford Explorer, the business agent drives a Chrysler 300.
The organizers from chevys.
It’s a mixed bag in our parking lot at work with cars . All but one of the bikes is a Harley.

I respect your effort to buy only American. I think that a Nobel cause. Thanks

We can find corruption on the company side also :
https://www.thetruckersreport.com/carrier-execs-indicted-grand-jury-120-charges/

https://www.dallasnews.com/news/cri...m-trucking-company-for-favorable-inspections/

Providing samples of corruption inside of some union does not mean that the majority are Corrupt . The same can be said for private companies, just because some are run by lawbreakers does not me all companies are bad.
I provided you some samples above of corruption inside of some companies by their leadership. That’s on a couple I can provide many more. It’s not one sided.
To dismiss the good and many of the benefits that you enjoy today at Xpo that stemmed from a United worker movement is foolish. Companies will take back as they already have over the years when they feel they can do it . To have zero voice in the workplace is not good for the future of drivers .

Last edited:
Bradley Blakeman: Labor unions and members should support Republicans – Dems take workers for granted

https://www.foxnews.com/opinion/bradley-blakeman-time-for-organized-labor-to-back-the-gop

Explore the Fox News apps that are right for you at http://www.foxnews.com/apps-products/index.html.

I agree with much of this piece. Author left out how big business and labor would be at each other’s throats if both in same party

I destroy the premise of the article with 3 words..."right to work". Let's ask the farmers and OTR truckers what they think about trumps trade policy. Please name just ONE labor friendly piece of legislation from the GOP. Big business and labor will always be at each others throats and that's the reason they can't support the same party. Why would labor support a party that refuses to support them?

I destroy the premise of the article with 3 words..."right to work". Let's ask the farmers and OTR truckers what they think about trumps trade policy. Please name just ONE labor friendly piece of legislation from the GOP. Big business and labor will always be at each others throats and that's the reason they can't support the same party. Why would labor support a party that refuses to support them?

I can’t name one specific to labor. Many try to make the argument that lowering taxes is labor friendly by creating more jobs and that seems to be borne out by the unemployment numbers.
You make a good point about supporting a party that refuses to support them; however, I would argue that neither party supports unions other than card check that the Dems passed a few years ago

Last edited:
If by trade policy you mean the trade war with China then I say sacrifice now for a better future for my kids and grands. If you mean nafta then no one knows about the renegotiated nafta because Dems won’t pass it. It actually would help US labor by mandating a percentage of cars be made domestically at a wage above $16 per hour

I can’t name one specific to labor. Many try to make the argument that lowering taxes is labor friendly by creating more jobs and that seems to be borne out by the unemployment numbers.
You make a good point about supporting a party that refuses to support them; however, I would argue that neither party supports unions other than card check that the Dems passed a few years ago

The tax cut served to benefit the 1% , as usual. Many companies actually admitted that their tax savings would be used to buy back company stock and generate executive bonuses. What they didn't admit is that it will only serve to artificially inflate the value of the paper, while no real value was added to the company itself. The tax cut created no jobs nor was anyone in the middle class well served by the plan.

It is without a doubt that "right to work" laws advocated by almost all Republicans, destroy unions. Some on these boards may be opposed to unions, but there is no denying they were, and will be again, the backbone of a vibrant middle class.

There are 176 bills introduced in the House of Representatives since March of 2019. You may find a handful of Republican sponsors, however, the sponsors are overwhelmingly from the Democratic side of the aisle. Check the link. It's amazing.

https://www.govtrack.us/congress/bills/subjects/labor_and_employment/6235

If by trade policy you mean the trade war with China then I say sacrifice now for a better future for my kids and grands. If you mean nafta then no one knows about the renegotiated nafta because Dems won’t pass it. It actually would help US labor by mandating a percentage of cars be made domestically at a wage above $16 per hour

I agree that the old NAFTA was a terrible trade deal, regardless of who wrote and who signed it. The NEW NAFTA (USMCA) is a decided improvement, to be fair to this president, however, the Democrats still have issues with the final version. I haven't had time to research this, but you can look it up.

The US buys 560 Billion dollars worth of goods from China, including parts for our most advanced military equipment. China buys 100 Billion dollars worth of good from us. Who do you think has the advantage in this trade war? In addition, the Chinese people are accustomed to sacrifice for the good of the country. Americans lose their minds if the electricity goes out for more than an hour. We have no chance of wining a trade war. This was a time for diplomacy. China needed to be put on call that we were no longer going to put up with them taking advantage, but there is a right way to do it.

I agree that the old NAFTA was a terrible trade deal, regardless of who wrote and who signed it. The NEW NAFTA (USMCA) is a decided improvement, to be fair to this president, however, the Democrats still have issues with the final version. I haven't had time to research this, but you can look it up.

The US buys 560 Billion dollars worth of goods from China, including parts for our most advanced military equipment. China buys 100 Billion dollars worth of good from us. Who do you think has the advantage in this trade war? In addition, the Chinese people are accustomed to sacrifice for the good of the country. Americans lose their minds if the electricity goes out for more than an hour. We have no chance of wining a trade war. This was a time for diplomacy. China needed to be put on call that we were no longer going to put up with them taking advantage, but there is a right way to do it.
They own the vast majority of your debt. They even hint at selling off some of the debt, it will put the us into a recession in a heartbeat. China plans generations in advance.

Its so amazing after a few hours of no electric people come out of their houses and are wandering the streets and if a house has a light on by some alternative power source they all wander over there in awe at how can this be possible

Status
Not open for further replies.