XPO | Xpo Union Thread.

Status
Not open for further replies.
You are correct that unions no longer have the power that they once had. But they have 100% more power than ANY non union barn. Part of the diminishing influence is because some drivers feel that the company actually cares about them and will look after their interests. I think the XPO's behavior since the buyout has dispelled that attitude. Most of the reason for the diminishing power is drivers failure to understand that they are not being compensated for the work they do. Many drivers simply do not understand what they are worth and what can be accomplished if we stand together and demand what we are worth. Many don't realize that while executive compensation has gone through the roof, drivers are being compensated at the same levels as the 1980's, when inflation is applied to the formula. The motto of this country is E Pluribus Unum...out of many, one. Can it be any clearer? Even the founding fathers knew that no one colony alone had the power to defeat England. But, united, look at what we did.

In addition, we should all realize that the 5 member Board of the NLRB is now leaning conservative and we can all expect decisions to lean towards big business in the near future. Trump's last appointment, William Emmanuel has already had to recuse himself from over 40 cases citing conflict of interest. Can you imagine an NLRB Board Member having to recuse himself. What does that say about his impartiality?
Well said, you have to be complete idiot at this point to believe Jacobs and crew are looking out for you other than the bare minimum they have to do . Xpo just lost its third case a couple weeks ago in court over not paying their employees correctly.

Last edited:
Well said, you have to be complete idiot at this point to believe Jacobs and crew are looking out for you other than the bare minimum they have to do . Xpo just lost its third case a couple weeks ago in court over not paying their employees correctly.
Yes, anyone at this point would have to be an idiot to think XPO brass cares about it's employees, agreed. The problem for the pro union guys is that they cannot seem to understand that some of us believe that you'd have to be a complete idiot to believe the Teamsters cared about you either. It's bad enough having to deal with XPO's BS, why would we want to layer it up with even more by bringing in the Teamsters? And please Hollywoodz, spare me whatever pro union pitch you're thinking about making as I've seen it all before.

Yes, anyone at this point would have to be an idiot to think XPO brass cares about it's employees, agreed. The problem for the pro union guys is that they cannot seem to understand that some of us believe that you'd have to be a complete idiot to believe the Teamsters cared about you either. It's bad enough having to deal with XPO's BS, why would we want to layer it up with even more by bringing in the Teamsters? And please Hollywoodz, spare me whatever pro union pitch you're thinking about making as I've seen it all before.
Can you explain in detail how the Teamsters would add another layer off BS ?

To me it seems like they promise me the world but only can get what the company is willing to give and so far the company hasn't given anything to the barns that have already voted for union
Strength is in numbers. Numbers talk and add to strength. As far as what we gained : grievance and arbitration in place ( a big deal) .I think also you need to think about what we have not lost due to status quo. No loss in bereavement time , no added disapline , bonus .

INSURANCE....

If you really want to be spared any more of my bull ::shit::, then please answer the question. Explain the added layer of bull ::shit:: from the Teamsters. If any of you anti union guys could stop speaking in generalities and be specific about you're objection to union representation, maybe we could have a logical discussion. You talk about corruption that no longer exists. You talk about added layers of bullshit. You talk about the Teamsters only wanting your money, but you NEVER talk about what you get for the money.

XPO is a bully...period. Every third grader fears the bully in his school. I think we all went through that at one time or another. As we grow up, we realize that the only way to make the bully stop is to stand up to him. It all comes down to your ability to overcome the fear that is preventing you from taking that first step. DO NOT take this as a disparaging assessment of you and what is really holding all of you back. Every certified barn felt fear at every step along the way. From certification through contract negotiations fear of the unknown was the primary emotion. Now that we have taken those first steps, you should realize that there is really nothing to fear.

They are doing everything they can to destroy this movement. Why haven't they fired everyone involved? Because it's illegal and they need us. Why haven't they closed barns? Also illegal and again, they need us. Their only legal tactics are hard negotiating, delay and the HOPE that all of you will buy in to their lies and misrepresentations and follow their direction to stand on the sidelines and wait while your team mates play the game for you.

There are guys on here who will ridicule what I post. They'll call it bullshit and tell you not to believe it. Either they are company shills or have been so paralyzed by the fear, they have decided to take all the company bullshit thrown at them and hope for the best. Some of us have chosen to do something and even I have to admit that we will never get all that we want without help from you.

To me it seems like they promise me the world but only can get what the company is willing to give and so far the company hasn't given anything to the barns that have already voted for union

For the record, the Teamsters NEVER promised me anything. They did tell us what was possible. All you need to do is ask a UPS or ABF guy at the dock next to you on your next delivery about his union benefits. Ask about his health care or his grievance and arbitration process. He already knows how much his raise will be next year because it's in his contract.

The company has conceded several policy changes to the union already. We don't expect to run the company and most of the policy will remain in control of the company. We just want it to remain constant and as laid out in the contract.

It's not about what the company is willing to give. It's about what they HAVE to give. In the YRC example, they had nothing to give and the Teamsters still got concessions from them. Can you imagine what those drivers would have gotten without representation? NOTHING !!! The company would have told them to get back to work or we'll just fire your asses and hire new drivers.

XPO has plenty to give, but they won't give it up until they have to. With 6 barns in negotiations, they are feeling no real pressure right now. If we had 20 or 30 barns in negotiations, we'd all have a contract already.

If Xpo shuts its doors & you had a job offer from Ups or let’s say Estes what would you do? Ups is a solid company with excellent wage & benefit package or would you choose Estes that doesn’t offer anything close to what ups does just because you dislike the union....

If Xpo shuts its doors & you had a job offer from Ups or let’s say Estes what would you do? Ups is a solid company with excellent wage & benefit package or would you choose Estes that doesn’t offer anything close to what ups does just because you dislike the union....

Perfect question! I would take UPS or ABF in a heartbeat. Let's see if you can be honest also.

70831211_2388796987842887_4367836948094517248_n.jpg

I’m asking a serious question & im not knocking Estes in any way just using them as an example. Would you pick pride over profit?
Honestly that would be hard for me. All the UPS ltl drivers complain about the management treats them and every driver I talk to seems to like their job. Pay is very close between them and insurance and retirement is decent at Estes.

Honestly that would be hard for me. All the UPS ltl drivers complain about the management treats them and every driver I talk to seems to like their job. Pay is very close between them and insurance and retirement is decent at Estes.
I respect your opinion....

As a 27 year Overnite/UPGF driver I too like my job once I get away from the part-time, know nothing, work first grieve later mentality of the management I'm OK. Never seen a place that will horse whip an hourly, while managers make real mistakes, forgetting payroll, {really happens}, missed pick-ups, {code it as business closed}, and on and on it goes. 95% of our equipment is top-notch, my benefits are unbeatable, and the grievance process, while it may take a while it does work. The core of our issues are PART-TIME supervisors that have no idea of the basic regulations, laws, weight limits, or our contract. The 20 minutes a day with management is plenty, one other driver told me "UPS, where stupid pays well". Now I just smile and nod and do what I have to anyway..

Congratulation, BabyJ. You said it better in one word than I did in 4 paragraphs. Insurance, insurance, insurance. Puts over 4 THOUSAND DOLLARS a year back into the pocket of a man with a family of 4 and actually covers him if he, or any of his family ever get sick. WOW!
Sometimes all it takes is one word . But so many guys here just do not get how much they would save in just insurance alone if we were Teamsters . Not to mention job security , seniority would rule . It did in my 26 plus years for sure .

Status
Not open for further replies.