XPO | Xpo Union Thread.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Strength is in numbers. Numbers talk and add to strength. As far as what we gained : grievance and arbitration in place ( a big deal) .I think also you need to think about what we have not lost due to status quo. No loss in bereavement time , no added disapline , bonus .
Is that why the teamster pension is doing so well???
Please, there will never be a new carrier to join in the NMFA ever again. No one is stupid enough to exist as a teamster carrier. because everyone knows every teamster LTL carrier dies a slow death...
History is the proof..

Please, there will never be a new carrier to join in the NMFA ever again. No one is stupid enough to exist as a teamster carrier. because everyone knows every teamster LTL carrier dies a slow death...
History is the proof..
We all die a slow death.. I'm neither nor anymore on the debate. (kinda)
Last 11 years of a slow death gave me a steady paycheck. I don't know how they did it but I showed up everyday and took the check every week.
That's after the merger.
22 years before that too.
They hang in there somehow as where any other LTL would have went out the first year of trouble. Maybe. They may not be worth a ::shit:: (yrc-roadway) but as I said my checks came in every Thursday. Never had one that didn't. In 31 years.
Now as for their future. Who knows. They may die this slow death another 30 years.
As for the pension.
Make your own pension. With any company.
Get your ducks in a row and don't buy that 60 grand pickup or 200 grand house.
Live poor. Retire comfortably.
Because at the end the only one you can count on is yourself.
Union or non union.
I know being either or has its good points and bad points. (I read nons good and bad points here)
So you have to choose where you want to be.
That's the bottom line.
And it doesn't matter to most what any single person does.
All LTL stinks. If I had to do it over I wouldn't. Not with hindsight. Lol.
And your probably right. No other LTL would get involved with union representation.
Personally I'd rather have it. Did have it. As long as you worked and showed up to work nobody bothered you. Except for other employees. And that happens at nons.
Not here to argue. Just my personal opinion and views over the years.
I never worked for a LTL non union. So I don't have that perspective.

History is the proof..
What Teamster pension are you referring too ? You do know there are hundreds? Ranging from multi employer funded plans , single employer, and 401k style plans . Their is no one Teamster pension plan. Why do they dye a slow death ( your words) ? Could it be all the non union companies who employees settle for less driving compensation down . Does anyone know here what the total compensation for let’s say an Abf driver is per hour ?

What Teamster pension are you referring too ? You do know there are hundreds? Ranging from multi employer funded plans , single employer, and 401k style plans . Their is no one Teamster pension plan. Why do they dye a slow death ( your words) ? Could it be all the non union companies who employees settle for less driving compensation down . Does anyone know here what the total compensation for let’s say an Abf driver is per hour ?

Nearly $44.00 per hour. Ups a close second. Yrc a little farther back. Maybe Fed ex squeezes in before YRC , but I'm not sure.

You are correct for the most part. I have alot of power when it comes to work rules. It's called my two feet.

You are correct with this and here is a list of companies that might have still employed union members if they were allow to change course. It's a long list. The list comes for the International Brotherhood of Teamsters Economics Department
http://www.1-888-no-union.com/teamstersoutofbusiness.html

Your list goes back to the 1980's with 137 companies listed. The link below shows that 640 trucking companies closed shop in the FIRST HALF OF 2019 ALONE. Since most of the union companies have gone already, it stands to reason that most of the 640 were non union companies. If you want to go back to the 1980's, I'm willing to bet that thousands of non union companies also went under thanks in part to deregulation.

Bad management destroys companies, not unions. Since deregulation, it's been a race to the bottom. Who can do it cheaper? And when rates are reduced, who suffers? It's you and I who suffer. If a company can't provide a decent compensation package and decent benefits to their employees, they shouldn't be in business. Non Union carriers cut rates and held on for as long as they could, and went under. It happened thousands of times over the years. But, by then, customers were accustomed to the cheaper rate schedule and more carriers jumped on board, only to find out that those attractive rate schedules could not be maintained. Very few have survived and their new method of maintaining cut rate schedules is the Ceva model. Lease purchase is where we are all going in the near future...unless we take a stand and stop it from going that far.

https://www.businessinsider.com/tru...t-truckers-react-to-industry-bloodbath-2019-7

Then if the unions are leading the charge why are they still paid at the same level?
They are paid at higher levels when you consider the total wage and compensation package. When you consider health care, they blow non union companies out of the water. If the LTL industry remained unionized at the post war levels, our compensation packages would be off the charts. That's based on current profits and productivity versus wages. Less members = less power.

Then if the unions are leading the charge why are they still paid at the same level?

NO company or union cares about any one persons best interest. They never have and never will.

Completely disagree. Why are companies so desperate to avoid unionization? Could it be because the union is going to fight for less control by the company? Yes. How about the union bargaining for better wages and benefits? Yes, again. The union fights for you to get you what the company refuses to give you.There are only 2 reasons why unions fail to get the best overall benefits for their members. One is when the company simply doesn't show the financials to warrant a better deal, i.e. YRC. Second, is when the employees are too afraid, for whatever reason, to amass the numbers needed to make the company PAY ATTENTION. We have the numbers if only people would realize it.

I'll use a quote from one of you post to reply to this "stop speaking in generalities and be specific"

I'd like to, but nobody actually knows all the policy changes that have happened recently. They don't have to tell us, until it becomes an issue. Like we have a progressive discipline policy listed in the P & P manual, BUT, we don't really follow it because we don't have to. Nice! You've had your first drive cam violation for following too close. You're expecting the first step in the progressive discipline policy, which is a warning. Oops, you're fired. Why? Because they can. You don't have a contract.

Starting wage at UPSF is $17per hour and in my area they have layoff workers every years in the last 5yrs I worked at XPO. Estes as far as I know has not done any layoffs and I not sure of the starting wage. With that in mind I would have to go with Estes

Well, XPO hasn't laid off here in Miami since I've been here. They just hire a few too many and most quit before they hit 2 months. Back in 2012 or 2013, I was on the bottom of the list for 1 1/2 years. They hired around 12 in that time frame and every one of them quit and moved on. They were getting 20 to 30 hours per week and most said I'd rather take the brief layoff, get my unemployment and come back when they need me.

TEN QUICK FACTS TO KNOW ABOUT TODAY'S UNIONS

If you don't know much about today's unions, below are some quick facts that most union bosses don't want you to know:

1. Today's unions are a multi-billion dollar per year industry, collecting more than $10 billion per year in union dues from workers.
  2. The majority of today's union-represented employees never voted to become unionized but must pay the union or be fired from their jobs.
  3. Union dues are used to finance the running of the union's business.
  4. If you are represented by a union and live in one of 28 Non-Right-to-Work States, a union can order you to be fired from your job if there is a union (income) security clause in its contract.
  5. A union does NOT have to represent you to your liking and, in fact, can legally refuse to process your complaint
  6. As a union member, if you violate a union's rules (known as the union constitution), you can be placed on trial by the union.
  7. If you are found guilty at a union trial, the union can suspend your membership, expel you from the union, or fine you money.
  8. A union's real bargaining power comes from its ability to call you and your co-workers out on strike.
  9. A union can legally trade things you have in order to get things the union wants in negotiations.
  10. If the union calls you out on an economic strike, you cannot be fired. However, you can be replaced permanently by your employer.

Irrelevance, lies and misrepresentations, typical of any union busting website. 1-888-nounions. Really?

Union dues are used to finance the running of the union's business
No ::shit::
The majority of today's union-represented employees never voted to become unionized but must pay the union or be fired from their jobs
not true
A union does NOT have to represent you to your liking and, in fact, can legally refuse to process your complaint
Frivolous grievances are a waste of time and money
A union can legally trade things you have in order to get things the union wants in negotiations.
That's why it's called a negotiation
If the union calls you out on an economic strike, you cannot be fired. However, you can be replaced permanently by your employer
Hard to find that many scabs

If you took the seniority list at a nonunion company and divided it in half the top half has good bids and dont have many complaints and makes good paychecks , the bottom half not too good , so that top half will always vote no union

If you took the seniority list at a nonunion company and divided it in half the top half has good bids and dont have many complaints and makes good paychecks , the bottom half not too good , so that top half will always vote no union
You are right.

There's one problem with this though - those on the bottom will be on the bottom until they put time in with a union or non-union company.

I guess one solution to this problem would be to make professional driving a trade and have your skill level follow you to your job and have your level of skill dictate your pay.

That was not at true our location with our vote. The only guys who voted against it were lower seniority ass kissers. Guys feared they would loss there ill gotten gains too a union forced seniority

It’s funny one observation I have made on this forum is the guys who rail the most against unions seem to know the least amount about unions and how they work.

That was not at true our location with our vote. The only guys who voted against it were lower seniority ass kissers. Guys feared they would loss there ill gotten gains too a union forced seniority

It’s funny one observation I have made on this forum is the guys who rail the most against unions seem to know the least amount about unions and how they work.
You could apply that to SOOOOOOO many other situations than people that rail against unions.

By "that" I mean folks that are against something that they know little about.

Status
Not open for further replies.