XPO | Xpo Union Thread.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Yes you are correct that's my mistake.

But you did say this and please explain because the way I read it is. If they have exp they should get top rate and seniority. Are you saying there exp should get them higher seniority???? More or less screw the bottom guy that are putting in there time.
"This collusion is one of the primary reasons we can't seem to hire experienced driver over here (at my termina), despite having desperate need. If they have experience, then they have seniority, top rate, etc."

I never thought I'd be able to say I was quited out of context. I feel like a celebrity now.

This is including the previous paragraph I write in the post you're quoting, which was regarding why I dont leave:

"I'd lose every single one of those things if I moved somewhere. I have a family, house, etc, and while I could make due with a certain amount less per week, I can't really work at night, spare, or take a pay cut and work 30 hours.

This collusion is one of the primary reasons we can't seem to hire experienced driver over here (at my termina), despite having desperate need. If they have experience, then they have seniority, top rate, etc."

The last paragraph was saying that these experienced drivers are not coming here because "if they have experience, then they have seniority, top rate, etc. (At their CURRENT jobs).

Sorry if that wasn't super clear.

The industry didn't colluded to make it extremely painful for somebody like you to change jobs within the industry. The union members did.

Sure they collude. Every non union company maintains this system because it is to their advantage. They could decide to act differently at any moment. Do you think they don't offer higher rates to new drivers it because they care about upsetting current drivers? They pulled our pension, reduce our insurance annually, fire us at will, etc. They don't give a ::shit:: about us or our relative morale.

As to the idea that pay scale started with unions, ok, you got me (maybe? did pay scale predate unions?). But that's what they negotiated, voted for, and ratified. Maybe somebody will explain why way better than what I am suggesting, I really don't know. Either way, negotiating a contract and rules ismore than a little different than what's happening on the other side. Doesn't mean unions are perfect, btw.

The seniority list exists to ‘reward’ those that have had the patience and fortitude to get to, or near, the top. By ‘reward’ I mean first, or close to first, on bid times and vacation selection. We never bid routes, we bid start times at my terminal. Although, it was an unspoken understanding that the top guys got the better runs. Those ‘top guys’ were BOTTOM guys at one time, and worked their way up. They had all the ‘slop’ at one point in time. We had our share of lazy-asses at my terminal, one being the top guy...as luck would have it. Gave himself the gravy runs ALWAYS. Not to mention those out-of-town U-Packs that, magically, took ‘all day’ while the rest of us worked our tails off in town. So I feel your pain on being rewarded for merit. This fellows shenanigans wouldn’t have been so obvious to spot had it not been for the guy that proceeded him, who was the TOTAL opposite. His motto was: “I won’t continually send you guys out on routes that I wouldn’t do myself.” And he was 100% correct on that, as I saw him take out some junk many times. I missed him a lot after he retired, and still speak to him on occasion. Much respect.
Take the list reverse dovetail it into A&B list take the runs equally divided into two lists of runs and then new employees will not be so low

Sure they collude. Every non union company maintains this system because it is to their advantage. They could decide to act differently at any moment. Do you think they don't offer higher rates to new drivers it because they care about upsetting current drivers? They pulled our pension, reduce our insurance annually, fire us at will, etc. They don't give a :::shit::: about us or our relative morale.

As to the idea that pay scale started with unions, ok, you got me (maybe? did pay scale predate unions?). But that's what they negotiated, voted for, and ratified. Maybe somebody will explain why way better than what I am suggesting, I really don't know. Either way, negotiating a contract and rules ismore than a little different than what's happening on the other side. Doesn't mean unions are perfect, btw.

Before unions, employers paid the least amount required to get bodies in place to perform the work. When workers finally had enough, they realized one irrefutable fact. Each man alone could do nothing to change their working conditions. However, if they acted in unison, as a group, they could with hold their labor until their demands were either met or, at least, negotiated.

The labor movement built the middle class in this country. I'd rather be negotiating a contract than sitting back waiting for the breadcrumbs that fall off the table. So, the unions negotiated a pay scale and some one says that like it's something to be ashamed of. Where would we be without a pay scale? No, unions are not perfect, however, turn your back on them and you just bought a ticket back to the 19th century. What makes anyone think that a corporation will compensate their people with anything more than the bare minimum...unless they are forced to do so? Were you better off 4 years ago or have your working conditions improved?

Before unions, employers paid the least amount required to get bodies in place to perform the work. When workers finally had enough, they realized one irrefutable fact. Each man alone could do nothing to change their working conditions. However, if they acted in unison, as a group, they could with hold their labor until their demands were either met or, at least, negotiated.

The labor movement built the middle class in this country. I'd rather be negotiating a contract than sitting back waiting for the breadcrumbs that fall off the table. So, the unions negotiated a pay scale and some one says that like it's something to be ashamed of. Where would we be without a pay scale? No, unions are not perfect, however, turn your back on them and you just bought a ticket back to the 19th century. What makes anyone think that a corporation will compensate their people with anything more than the bare minimum...unless they are forced to do so? Were you better off 4 years ago or have your working conditions improved?
And now with all kind of high tech ways to monitor employees loyality is thrown out the window

I am looking on the XPO portal to try and find the cost of the new plans from Blue Cross/Blue Shield. I found the page that details coverage, but NOT premiums or payroll contributions, as they call it. If anyone finds the page that details the actual cost of these plan to the employees, please post instructions here on how to get to it. We have no HR person in Miami to direct us and I'd like to be able to help my guys navigate through this. Thanks...

I am looking on the XPO portal to try and find the cost of the new plans from Blue Cross/Blue Shield. I found the page that details coverage, but NOT premiums or payroll contributions, as they call it. If anyone finds the page that details the actual cost of these plan to the employees, please post instructions here on how to get to it. We have no HR person in Miami to direct us and I'd like to be able to help my guys navigate through this. Thanks...
Is bc/bs good insurance like it was in the 1970's when my mom would take three kids to the doctor , no cash required

Is bc/bs good insurance like it was in the 1970's when my mom would take three kids to the doctor , no cash required
Depends on the parameters Xpo puts on it. BCBS is the administrator just like Cigna. If Xpo wants you to have good coverage it will be up to the executive team not BCBS. Don’t assume it good insurance just because BCBS . Insurance in the 70’s was a entirely different beast.

Reasons for union. FRAK XPO

Reason against. XPO is FRAKKED

At this level of turnover. I don't know any body any more. Let alone their politics or intentions. Hard to stand as one on anything when everyone has one foot out the door.

I got up this morning and read that the union in Laredo had lost a decertification election yesterday, and I come in here and no one has mentioned it? The union news usually drops so quickly...

If you haven't heard, Laredo had an election yesterday to remove the union, and the union lost. It wasn't close, either.

I thought the same, however, consider that when using purchased transportation, whether it be line haul or local P & D, there are no expenses charged back to the company

Not directly, no- but the are costs that are harder to quantify in dollars. Contractor service is consistently terrible. There is also less control over the brand, less visibility of the operation, and less direct accountability. Those things matter.

I believe they use contractors as a last resort, not as a preference.

The things you do get correct are a result of information not readily available to drivers in this system... Where do you get it from?

That's what I do- I drink, and I know things.

I wonder how many drivers reading this thread know how many signatures they forced in Laredo? If you count the names that the company prodded into signing. it was a bit over 30%.

First, no one was forced. The BS labor charge of company assistance was dismissed for lack of evidence. Not that it was anything but a stalling tactic, of course.

Second, that number is hilariously low. Like half the actual number. And even the real number on the petition was less than the number of "No" votes yesterday.

Last edited:
The interesting question is "Why don't you fools just go hire on at a union outfit?"

My answer would be because the industry colluded to make it extremely painful for somebody like me to change jobs within the industry.

That's true, although you could make the argument that the OTR guys aren't doing much better for themselves with almost 100% turnover, so mobility isn't a panacea.

In either case, eventually you find an employer that treats you well enough and you camp out for a while. Sometimes it takes a few tries before you realize there's no perfect situation.

That's true, although you could make the argument that the OTR guys aren't doing much better for themselves with almost 100% turnover, so mobility isn't a panacea.

In either case, eventually you find an employer that treats you well enough and you camp out for a while. Sometimes it takes a few tries before you realize there's no perfect situation.

I could very well be wrong here, but don't OTR companies run a scale system? ".55 per mile to start!", etc? Or is it different on that side?

Agree on the second part, I've made a couple moves in the past.

I could very well be wrong here, but don't OTR companies run a scale system? ".55 per mile to start!", etc?

They do- Swift even varies the rate based on your trip distance AND length of service- it's a big chart.

But the steps are smaller and more frequent- especially in the first year. It seems that they expect you to leave, but they'd like to get a year out of you.

I got up this morning and read that the union in Laredo had lost a decertification election yesterday, and I come in here and no one has mentioned it? The union news usually drops so quickly...

If you haven't heard, Laredo had an election yesterday to remove the union, and the union lost. It wasn't close, either.
I googled it and all I found was this little article:https://news.xpo.com/en-us/news/2345/employees-in-laredo-texas-vote-to-decertify-union/
It is really no surprise nothing is post out there. Though since it happened of Friday I would give it a day or two to hit the trucking new sites.
So how many signatures were forced? Next thing they will say is a gun was held to there head by the company when they voted

They do- Swift even varies the rate based on your trip distance AND length of service- it's a big chart.

But the steps are smaller and more frequent- especially in the first year. It seems that they expect you to leave, but they'd like to get a year out of you.
I heard of companies paying more for long exp. More for the northeast, and even more to go into NJ and NYC. There are many was to get paid when your OTR. Mileage, percentage, hourly, per trip, and so on every company is different

Status
Not open for further replies.