Yellow | YRC Worldwide Gains Freight, Loses 82.6 Million!

Yellow has ruined many companies in its past and present. It always has been a pos. Everything it touches it destroys. Yellow is the anchor around the neck of the last few remaining teamster companies and its dragging them down fast.

You and the the uninformed who like this post need to learn a little about about capitalism. You cannot be a high cost carrier and have big market share with high profits. The cost now is servicing the debt and they're losing money hauling discounted freight. Yellow bought and sold a few losers like Preston, Jevic. Roadway did as well. Unionized carriers have enough cost and can't compete as it is. A $30M a month pension tab..now less. Over $200M a year in damage-workmans comp claims. An un-productive work-force. YRC needs 4 people to do the work of 5 to make money.

ABF made a million profit on almost 2 billion in revenue whoopy dew. Prob goes way back to dereg..2 strikes..raises every contract they could not afford. It's been building for years like the financial crash that was the final blow. Like I said..the party is Ooooveeeer if this COO doesn't work out

You and the the uninformed who like this post need to learn a little about about capitalism. You cannot be a high cost carrier and have big market share with high profits. The cost now is servicing the debt and they're losing money hauling discounted freight. Yellow bought and sold a few losers like Preston, Jevic. Roadway did as well. Unionized carriers have enough cost and can't compete as it is. A $30M a month pension tab..now less. Over $200M a year in damage-workmans comp claims. An un-productive work-force. YRC needs 4 people to do the work of 5 to make money.

ABF made a million profit on almost 2 billion in revenue whoopy dew. Prob goes way back to dereg..2 strikes..raises every contract they could not afford. It's been building for years like the financial crash that was the final blow. Like I said..the party is Ooooveeeer if this COO doesn't work out

After deregulation Yellow INVENTED discounted freight. They began to starve out the smaller carriers (teamster carriers) by stealing their customers through discounts. And now big discounts is what will kill Yellow. They have to discount what they haul. It takes a week to move a skid of freight 800 miles. Cubing out loads and unneeded handling makes for high damage ratios. Discounts are the ONLY reason to ship with this company.

After deregulation Yellow INVENTED discounted freight. They began to starve out the smaller carriers (teamster carriers) by stealing their customers through discounts. And now big discounts is what will kill Yellow. They have to discount what they haul. It takes a week to move a skid of freight 800 miles. Cubing out loads and unneeded handling makes for high damage ratios. Discounts are the ONLY reason to ship with this company.

Ya, that is true. Cubing out loads is a necessary evil..unneeded handling makes for high damage ratios should be minimized in the next COO. I mean how could one not have gloom and doom. The day of reckoning is coming with the operating loses. Oh well, maybe next year they'll show a profit

I thought CF was run badly. I survived 10 years there. No matter what YRC comes up with, they still lose money. I hope they hang around so I can at least collect $1833 a month well earned money when I hit 65.

FWIW. I've been at Fedex Freight for almost 2 years after being laid off from Yellow for like the 5th time in 13 years. What Fedex does with next day stuff is amazing. We missed one overnight shipment to Milwaukee last night. It's like 99.7% on time deliveries. I'm not a big Fedex fan, but they got it right.

Well fedex doesn't operate with an antiquated computer system like we do here at yrc.when we first merged.they lost freight all over the.place.

FWIW. I've been at Fedex Freight for almost 2 years after being laid off from Yellow for like the 5th time in 13 years. What Fedex does with next day stuff is amazing. We missed one overnight shipment to Milwaukee last night. It's like 99.7% on time deliveries. I'm not a big Fedex fan, but they got it right.
good for you and fedex. take a f**kin hike!

Who did Roadway buy and sell?

Who did Roadway buy and sell?

I think Roadway wanted to be one of UPS or FedEx's of the world. They started up RPS and a couple non-regional carriers..RPS, Viking, Coles, Caliber They had jet-service that never really took off. FedEx bought them..it was a huge success. Go figure. But Now YRC has New Penn and Holland so they're happy but broke

Good luck Jenny they will need a crian to get out the hole they have dug and taken some good company's with them

I think Roadway wanted to be one of UPS or FedEx's of the world. They started up RPS and a couple non-regional carriers..RPS, Viking, Coles, Caliber They had jet-service that never really took off. FedEx bought them..it was a huge success. Go figure. But Now YRC has New Penn and Holland so they're happy but broke

Roadway started RPS. RPS bled Roadway. Roadway was spun off, all the other parts became Caliber with Roadway Express being a seperate company. Caliber was bought by FedEx. The only sale of a company by Roadway that I'm aware of was the sale of Lebarnold, the truckload division of New Penn, which they never wanted so they sold it off.

That would be Arnold Transportation, and it was in fact New Penn's TL division.

Remember at the time Roadway Services bought Viking, Coles, Spartan, and another in Texas (Central Transport maybe?)

Started RPS using newer Rex equipment retired early while we converted to pups and jiffs.

Bought Roberts Express a dedicated time critical carrier.

Their idea was the same as CF combine the regional non's into a national carrier dump Rex.

The regionals struggled under the expansion rate and the customers were confused, unfortunately only Viking survived later to be joined with Americian Freightways to become Fedex Freight . When Services ipo'd Roadway Express out on it's own it was to die plain and simple the executives at Services were positive the days of unionized freight were short lived and never make into the new century. That move would also make sure Services then quickly renamed to Caliber Services didn't have any liability to the pension funds, but because the Roush family insisted it be debit free when sent out on it's own and the dedication of management(at the time not current) and the Teamster workforce it survived turned a profit and was able to purchase New Penn(sorry NP guys) at least until the Yellow fever got us.
The drivers drove older equipment, did what needed to be done to complete the task at hand and for the most part we came out of it as a stronger team that had a lot more understanding of each others positions and what needed to be done to survive, something the current management has not yet figured out how to accomplish.

Remember at the time Roadway Services bought Viking, Coles, Spartan, and another in Texas (Central Transport maybe?)

Started RPS using newer Rex equipment retired early while we converted to pups and jiffs.

Their idea was the same as CF combine the regional non's into a national carrier dump Rex.

The regionals struggled under the expansion rate and the customers were confused, unfortunately only Viking survived later to be joined with Americian Freightways to become Fedex Freight . When Services ipo'd Roadway Express out on it's own it was to die plain and simple the executives at Services were positive the days of unionized freight were short lived and never make into the new century. That move would also make sure Services then quickly renamed to Caliber Services didn't have any liability to the pension funds, but because the Roush family insisted it be debit free when sent out on it's own and the dedication of management(at the time not current) and the Teamster workforce it survived turned a profit and was able to purchase New Penn(sorry NP guys) at least until the Yellow fever got us.
The drivers drove older equipment, did what needed to be done to complete the task at hand and for the most part we came out of it as a stronger team that had a lot more understanding of each others positions and what needed to be done to survive, something the current management has not yet figured out how to accomplish.

I know you're not supposed to say anything positive about management, but Mike Wickham did a masterful job of bringing the co. through some tough times, because as you said Wrench, Roadway was spun off to die. The company's management style underwent a transformation from dictatorial to involvement and empowerment.

Caliber was the holding company that spun off Roadway debt free. FedEx bought caliber that included RPS, Roberts Express, Viking Freight, RPS became FedEx Ground, Roberts Express became FedEx Custom Critical. Viking was part FedEx somehow.. It all changed to the FedEx brand

There were many managers at the time that embraced that philosophy, unfortunately most if not all are now gone and working for our competition or retired.