Yellow | Zoom call update 6PM EST

If we would only just stick together, if the other Teamsters companies would strike with us, we could really make a statement. Imagine if UPS, ABF, and T Force all walked out with us. We would bring LTL to a halt in this country. That’s how they did it in the old days and why nobody wanted to make the union mad. Sadly, in this day and time, it’s become “all about me”
Approx 21% of all LTL in America is handled by union carriers.
It's over...
If every union lTL went on strike there would be some inconvenience for shippers but that would settle in a few weeks and no one would miss them in 6 months.
Don't wish too hard.....

If we would only just stick together, if the other Teamsters companies would strike with us, we could really make a statement. Imagine if UPS, ABF, and T Force all walked out with us. We would bring LTL to a halt in this country. That’s how they did it in the old days and why nobody wanted to make the union mad. Sadly, in this day and time, it’s become “all about me”

UPS and ABF go on strike because yellow employees are going on strike. They're going on strike because Yellow can't pay for the contracted healthcare. How does ABF and UPS going on strike change that?

They used to all strike because everyone was under the NMFA contract. Now everyone has separate contracts with no strike clauses written in. Teamsters strike because Companies break the contract. If Teamsters strike under a no strike contract, then it’s US breaking the contract. Won’t happen. Only thing we can do is not cross a picket line.

I'm curious as to how that will work out. No freight will be delivered, or picked up, in the entire midwest, no Yellow drivers will be going to another break bulk or any terminal for that fact, in the midwest. I'm guessing, for the time being, Yellow will be a east coast to west coast carrier.
One Yellow minus the midwest

My boss just said yesterday that we would hire from Yellow if you guys end up without a job. And that's from a family owned carrier that is pretty against unions. Don't listen to the nobody will hire you guys hate.
You’re in Indy, right? From my Preston days, I know that everyone in Indy pretty much knows everyone in the Indy Area LTL Industry’s reputations as to if they are good workers or trouble makers. They know who to hire and who not to. For instance, when Preston folded, first thing Yellow did was hire Preston’s Ops Mgr as a Dock Supervisor. Then he told them which applicants to not hire. Most of us got jobs. A few couldn’t get hired anywhere in the Indy LTL Area. Our reputation precedes us.

I know Dayton sometimes hires ex-union. So does Saia. Estes does. OD rarely did in the past.

Years ago union ltl’s were under
The master freight agreement where all our contracts were negotiated together….

I get that, but it doesn't change the circumstances. It's not a matter of yellow doesn't want to pay, they can't pay. Everybody goes on strike and then what? Would ABF and UPS bail them out? Last thing they need is another loan.

I get that, but it doesn't change the circumstances. It's not a matter of yellow doesn't want to pay, they can't pay. Everybody goes on strike and then what? Would ABF and UPS bail them out? Last thing they need is another loan.
Those companies don’t want to help Yellow. They want competition gone. The only way they would get $$$ involved would be to buy Yellow, and doing that would be ignorant. UPS isn’t ignorant. They SOLD UPS Freight, they aren’t buying Yellow.

Even if they were still in master freight neither is in any way obligated to pay for another company. Years ago Preston & Shanahans express were allowed to run during the strike of 94 because they weren’t financial big enough to hold out….

Even if they were still in master freight neither is in any way obligated to pay for another company. Years ago Preston & Shanahans express were allowed to run during the strike of 94 because they weren’t financial big enough to hold out….

That was my original point... The master agreement and everybody going on strike would do nothing to help yellow employees out right now because it's not a matter of not wanting to pay, they can't.

We (Preston) should have closed on Thanksgiving 1993 (out of cash), but Yellow Corp bought us that weekend. We were on strike in 94. Churchill closed. A couple hours later Local 135 President came to our Picket Line and told us we were going back to work or we’d be next to close.

Last edited:
Used to be that way. Last Teamster frt strike was 92. All the big carriers and regionals went at the same time hence national master. Once again we have Yellow to thank for that.