XPO | 62 Mph

How does it save fuel wont the truck have to run longer now to reach destination?
Yes they will. One driver who's truck has been turned down is taking up to 20 minutes longer each way. Wouldn't that be 40 minute less clock time a day. Is this a under the table way to give a pay cut? Less pay means less money they would have to put in the 401 k. Now lets say a top scale drive now can only run his run 4 day's a week, A less then top scale driver takes the run. They save more money.

I am just thinking again.

There's nothing wrong with runnin' slow... Pretty peaceful once the traffic gets by you... Plus, you won't have to wash your windshield as much. Bugs don't splatter on windshields at 62 mph... Relax... Ease the seat back and enjoy the ride... Besides, it's their damn truck and their damn freight. I wouldn't worry about it...

Oh yeah... About the cruise control (or lack thereof). You all have cruise control you just don't realize it... There are cruise controls laying around outside everywhere you look... A BIG ROCK!... When we drove those hi-speed hay rakes (Internationals = too fast for the farm, too slow for the road) over here at Yellow, you absolutely could not drive continuous in those things with no cruise control because the fuel pedal was right under the damn steering column and you had to sit side saddle in them to work it. If I got one that the cruise was broke on, I'd stop somewhere (safely, way off the road) get on the ground, look around and find a big rock. I'd heave that rock up in the cab, throw it in the floor, smack 'ol yeller on the a$$, get her to a full gallop and "kick on the cruise" (kick that big rock over the fuel pedal). Just be sure to position it in such a manner that you are able to "kick it off" quickly & don't use it in town!...
I pulled up in Memphis one morning ridin' one of those things. The cruise didn't work so I had stopped on the way & found a cruise for it. After I arrived, I had gotten my saddle off of that war horse and was walking to the dispatch office when a yard man, who was getting in that tractor to break it down, yelled "hey driver! you forgot your rock"!... I yelled back, "that's the cruise control, it stays with the truck"... That damn rock was probably still laying in the floor of that truck when they got rid of it...

I think it's for insurance savings as well as fuel cost cutting, but like the point the first poster made about sponsoring a race vehicle, how hypocritical is that? ;)

When I started the trucks were set at 55

does that also mean it'd be okay with you to go back to the rate of pay you got when you first started? Either way you look at it, it's another reduction to our compensation package. If you have to put in more time at work for the same pay...YOU LOSE! But, it sounds like that's okay with a number of you....answer me this...where would you draw the line?

does that also mean it'd be okay with you to go back to the rate of pay you got when you first started? Either way you look at it, it's another reduction to our compensation package. If you have to put in more time at work for the same pay...YOU LOSE! But, it sounds like that's okay with a number of you....answer me this...where would you draw the line?
NOW THAT WAS A GOOD COME BACK.

slower trucks burn less fuel. burning less fuel creates less emisions. with fuel prices being what they are, i see more companies doing this and even setting them slower.

I hope the company shares the cost cutting with our CFI and truckload friends this should be a total company issue and not singling out the frieght division

slower trucks burn less fuel. burning less fuel creates less emisions. with fuel prices being what they are, i see more companies doing this and even setting them slower.

How about saving fuel across the board. Governing all vehicles in the USA, limiting all households to 10 cars per family. Enforcing speed limits ,giving stiff penalties to any one going over 30 miles per hour on the highway and basically getting our heads out of our asses and becoming the superpower we once were .Sorry I was just dreaming the lust for money for the select few will always prevail

How about saving fuel across the board. Governing all vehicles in the USA, limiting all households to 10 cars per family. Enforcing speed limits ,giving stiff penalties to any one going over 30 miles per hour on the highway and basically getting our heads out of our asses and becoming the superpower we once were .Sorry I was just dreaming the lust for money for the select few will always prevail

You have a point there. As long as the oil company's and my government's attitude is suck it out of the ground and sell it to americans at an inflated price to keep the economy healty and stability in the middle east (an assumption on my part) then I can't give a rats *** about my "carbon footprint".

That's not nesessarily the case either.... Maybe on flat ground but the way those trucks are gonna be lugging up the mountains they are gonna be suckin' down the fuel! Can't speak for a Sterling but I know for a fact that at FXF when we had some old red racers turned up they got MUCH better fuel mileage...... Nonetheless it really sucks for you road guys.

62 mph that sucks for you guys!!!

now you guys are going to be a congestion causing road hazard.but on the brite side atleast i will be able to pass someone now:hysterical:

UPS does the same thing but we have to shut are trucks off every time we get out of are trucks even to put a dolly on a trl

the government isn't turning down con-ways trucks, con-way is turning down their trucks. if you want to govern the vehicles you own at 62, the government won't care.

That's not nesessarily the case either.... Maybe on flat ground but the way those trucks are gonna be lugging up the mountains they are gonna be suckin' down the fuel! Can't speak for a Sterling but I know for a fact that at FXF when we had some old red racers turned up they got MUCH better fuel mileage...... Nonetheless it really sucks for you road guys.

what you are saying was true at one time, but a modern diesel engine is electronically controlled. the ecm doesn't allow more fuel than needed into the cylinders. will the turned down trucks get up the hills slower? yup. use less fuel? yup. if it takes fuel to make HP, it obviously takes more fuel to make more power.

Slower trucks burn less fuel but are on the road longer. last night I used 3.7 gallons less on a 565 mile run took 35 minutes more time to make the turn. I figure about $2500.00 bucks out of my pocket as well.The customer experience ICE, later arrivals, longer run times as well,and late arrivals back to service center on P&D. Make no sense to better our service they should turn the trucks up. Must be they need a bigger ICP I say service to our customers has priority. When we can get 99% on time you have a happy customer.

slower trucks? longer on the road, running times longer, more fuel to be on the road faster, loss in wages for the L/H drivers,plus loss in the company $$$$ put into the 401's looks to me like it is really a cut in wages then fuel savings, but what do I know I am just a driver!!