ABF | ABF Attacks Pensions?

You say that the economy was in recession and jobs were hard to find... I won't disagree with that but fear isn't a valid reason to throw common sense out the window. Fear tells you one thing and one thing only... Oh my... just what am I going to do... automatically it's... I have to take whatever is offered without even considering other options. Common sense tells you that they may end up shutting the doors even with the sacrifices so you still may find yourself without a job in the near future. Common sense also tells you that even though the economy was in recession... if a company as big as YRC does close their doors... all the other trucking companies will be on a hiring spree... right or wrong? Common sense also tells you many other things like doing as much research as you possibly can to see if you are being told the truth in the first place. That's always the funny thing about fear... once fear it takes hold... common sense goes out the window and you can bet the companies and the IBT knows it. After all... how do think the 2013 contract got passed?

As far as I'm concerned... if only one retired Teamster had their pension reduced when the YRC employees accepted that agreement is too many. After all... they had no say in the matter because it wasn't as you say that all retirees maintained their salaries while the working employees voluntarily accepted to have their pay reduced. I personally know a retired Holland Teamster that had to go back to work because he couldn't afford to live off the mandatory drastic cut he was forced to accept! So there goes that argument out the window. If you want to talk about fair... just how fair is that... the retirees not even given the opportunity to vote on the matter when their pension was involved in that BS agreement? Tell me... just how would you feel if you were that man? So how about also being thankful that you weren't in that man's shoes too. What happened to that man is a damn shame and makes me angry... how about you?

Now... let's even take it one step further... that same man then got on at ABF... and what happens then... he gets screwed again when the ABF Teamsters voted away the farm. And since you seem to have a turncoat cheering you on now... just how about that turncoat... he actually got the chance to screw that man twice... how about that because I can guarantee you that doesn't bother turncoat in the slightest... maybe even to the extent of smiling about it seeing how proud he is about being labeled a traitor and all.?
Docker, I respect your opinion but I disagree. I did not vote for a pay cut. Most of the road employees at local 728 voted no on the 2013 contract. So we were forced into taking a pay, vacation, and jobs cut (purchase transportation). I would be interested in the exact information related to who, when, where, and why this Holland retiree took a pay cut? I think KK posted the 2013 contract votes on this board not to long ago. Local 728 (Atlanta) road board is in the southern confernce. I'll see if I can find the exact numbers for our vote count. That will let you know how many of us where forced to take a pay and vacation cut.

Docker, I respect your opinion but I disagree. I did not vote for a pay cut. Most of the road employees at local 728 voted no on the 2013 contract. So we were forced into taking a pay, vacation, and jobs cut (purchase transportation). I would be interested in the exact information related to who, when, where, and why this Holland retiree took a pay cut? I think KK posted the 2013 contract votes on this board not to long ago. Local 728 (Atlanta) road board is in the southern confernce. I'll see if I can find the exact numbers for our vote count. That will let you know how many of us where forced to take a pay and vacation cut.

I will call him tomorrow and he'll be happy to explain that to you.

Last edited:
Most of the road employees at local 728 voted no on the 2013 contract. So we were forced into taking a pay, vacation, and jobs cut (purchase transportation). I would be interested in the exact information related to who, when, where, and why this Holland retiree took a pay cut? I think KK posted the 2013 contract votes on this board not to long ago. Local 728 (Atlanta) road board is in the southern confernce. I'll see if I can find the exact numbers for our vote count. That will let you know how many of us where forced to take a pay and vacation cut.

How close are these numbers?

1818423882.jpg

Disregard those last numbers... I pulled up YRC's by mistake...

8308160013.png

How close are these numbers?

1818423882.jpg
I believe this is the YRC 2009 vote count. If I'm reading the 2nd vote count correctly, then 12,267 employes voted for (yes) the wage cut and 6,314 voted for NO wage cut. To put it another way 66% of employees thought YRC would close their doors without a pay and pension cut and they did not want to take that chance. Is that how you read this? Thanks for posting this.

I believe this is the YRC 2009 vote count. If I'm reading the 2nd vote count correctly, then 12,267 employes voted for (yes) the wage cut and 6,314 voted for NO wage cut. To put it another way 66% of employees thought YRC would close their doors without a pay and pension cut and they did not want to take that chance. Is that how you read this? Thanks for posting this.

That's the way I read it too... except for the employees thought YRC would close their doors without a pay and pension cut and they did not want to take that chance part... which I would replace with... that let fear overrule common sense.

That's the way I read it too... except for the employees thought YRC would close their doors without a pay and pension cut and they did not want to take that chance part... which I would replace with... that let fear overrule common sense.
That is where we disagree. I think YRC would have gone out of business if not for the wage and pension cut.

That is where we disagree. I think YRC would have gone out of business if not for the wage and pension cut.

And that we will never know for sure because it was finally accepted. Besides... I never said that YRC wouldn't of never closed their doors for sure if you recall. I said that they let fear overrule common sense which the difference between the fist and second vote results pretty much explains all by itself.

That's just the Southern Region.. here's the region totals...

8810314987.png
So local 728 (my local) voted 61.6% no and 38.4% yes. Or 61.6% of local 728 employees were forced to take a pay and vacation cut. Also, I believe the percentage of road drivers that voted no was much higher. KK posted how each local voted and it was broken down by job.

And that we will never know for sure because it was finally accepted. Besides... I never said that YRC wouldn't of never closed their doors for sure if you recall. I said that they let fear overrule common sense which the difference between the fist and second vote results pretty much explains all by itself.
I don't think fear overruled there common sense. I think realizion of what could and would happen if they continued to do nothing...... Also, I was in my second semester of graduate school (getting an MBA) and we discussed YRC financial results in class. I don't remember a single student or instructor arguing that YRC had a chance of avoiding bankruptcy.

So local 728 (my local) voted 61.6% no and 38.4% yes. Or 61.6% of local 728 employees were forced to take a pay and vacation cut. Also, I believe the percentage of road drivers that voted no was much higher. KK posted how each local voted and it was broken down by job.

IMO... that breakdown which I also have available really isn't relevant because the fact of the matter is a yes is a yes and a no is a no... no matter which Local you are from. Think about it... a yes voter(which very few seldom admit now) from your Local could meet a no voting driver from the Albuquerque Local and now boast about his Local voting no rubbing it in of how that Albuquerque Local voted yes. That's some scenario... isn't it?

What it really boils down to is that 3,213 members accepted the concessions while 2,963 members had the concessions forced upon them. I just feel bad for the members voting no in Albuquerque seeing how it was 172 yes and only 40 no because that yes voter from your Local shouldn't be walking around all proud now just because he's from your Local just like that no voter from Albuquerque sure as hell doesn't have anything to be ashamed of now.

I don't think fear overruled there common sense. I think realizion of what could and would happen if they continued to do nothing...... Also, I was in my second semester of graduate school (getting an MBA) and we discussed YRC financial results in class. I don't remember a single student or instructor arguing that YRC had a chance of avoiding bankruptcy.

Just because someone went to college doesn't impress me a bit and is no better than an idiot when it comes to accurately predicting the future. If the ABF Teamsters were to have accepted that 15% pay cut in 1988...we would have ABF Teamsters still walking around today saying that ABF wouldn't of ever survived if they wouldn't of accepted that 15% pay cut in 1988 because they were really in dire financial straits too... but guess what... that pay cut was turned down and somehow they miraculously survived. Mr. Young still ended up finding a way! I also bet you that you wouldn't of found a single student or instructor at that graduate school of yours that would of argued that ABF would survive without that 15% cut too!

Docker and Muler, I think Turncoat is correct in some of what he says.

IMO... turncoat is a fool not to be taken seriously at all. After all... what kind of grown man expects you to take him seriously when he's proud to take the name traitor as a screen name? After all... that very name betrays everything that a Teamster is supposed to stand for.

Well as this leak has trickled out, I understand they are wanting to FREEZE the current rate, NOT QUIT PAYING. Let the lawmakers put it into LAW what's required and what will be payed out. Then WE ALL get a haircut! I'm glad many have through the years and continue to get full pensions, but is it unreasonable that adjustments be made where we ALL get something to supplement our retirement. Some just want it to pay them in full until it's gone and to hell with the rest....and I'm the selfish one! Almighty Muler and Spin-Docker seriously need to get a life! I'm not going to argue with you two. Got a gobbler to hunt early tomorrow. Have a good evening.
You have never seen me post anything about paying me full rate and screw the rest. You are a weak man you roll over as soon as someone says there is s problem. I look for solutions not giving up and whining. If you were going too come to abf and agree to give backs why leave Yrc?

No you are a quiter and it hurts good hard working Teamsters. Why do all you guys keep calling Docker names?

Careful Homesick, any inkling that you think TurnCoat has anything to add to the dialog and you will draw the ire of Jeff's experts. And KK wants to act like he didn't have to go through the crapola too. A bankruptcy would have devestated more folks! I left YRC by the grace of God, and moved everyone up on the board while I took a bottom spot at ABF. It was meant to be.
Turncoat, it is better to be thought a fool, than to post/talk and remove all doubt" ..That is you in a nutshell

IF I MAY....At the very 1st Concessions vote at YRCW, I have NO DOUBT the doors would have been closed. The Local officers at the meeting agreed on non-disclosure at the 2-man meeting we had to "look over" the books and cannot discuss the figures.

With THAT said, what transpired in the votes after that gave me cause for alarm. The vote to extend the current MOU which gave the company the PTS language was voted on by ALL YRCW companies, YRC Freight, New Penn and Holland. The language in there was to allow PTS to happen and to red circle certain numbers at Road Domiciles. HERE IS THE KICKER....previous votes were done by ballots based on different companies. YRC got their own ballot and voted on issues pertaining to YRC. Holland and New Penn did the same. In the last vote for the MOU to end in 2019, ALL companies were allowed to vote as one! The Holland and New Penn employees vote was counted in on the YRC road drivers losing their work to PTS. I argued that fact at a Union meeting at Local 728 (I had gone back to the Road before that)....WHY DID THOSE COMPANIES WHO HAD NOTHING TO DO WITH PTS GET THE RIGHT TO VOTE ON YRC DRIVERS HAVING IT? I called those up front liars for saying they were ONLY bringing it to the members for a vote, when at the meeting going over this last MOU ( I got to listen in thanks to a friend) there was a vote held by the IBT in the room that they would accept it and take it to the members and get them to vote for it. ONLY 7 Locals in that room voted against the MOU 2019 and Local 728 was NOT one of them and I called them out on it! TJ even repeated a second time that did they know the vote was to ACCEPT the MOU and support it and to get your members to vote to accept it.

But what happened afterwards did happen....when they were duped into voting yes at the Locals in person and not with mail ballots, the company came out with the SEC filing that showed they DID make a profit in the 4Q of that year, and several weeks later some in management received stock awards. To this day, I still believe that the YRCF folks voted down the MOU, but the additional votes by the other YRCW companies over-rode the YRCF vote to implement PTS in our Line-haul system. But we will never know the truth.

I got tired of all the politics in the concessions givebacks in the MOU prior to the 2019 MOU and family issues too and went back to the driving line-haul in 2012 and retired in 2017. I said then this was going to hurt our pensions even more with the frozen rate of 2009, and just 25% of that rate being paid in until 2019. The $100M owed to CSPF to be paid at the end of the 2019 MOU has now been deferred to 12.31.2019. Why?

The ABF Brothers & Sisters were a VERY STRONG NO VOTE and stood up to TJ and their BS. Why would you vote yes to give up your bid formula and force Senior drivers to the extra-board?
ABF & YRC Teamsters better wake it up this time...DEMAND a secret mail in ballot....DEMAND your concessions back!
gdOeTX6.jpg