ABF | Abf is asked to give back

It seems to me this could be the begnning of the end..The higher ups want us all to work for slave rates.

Crazy, you & I predicted something like this happening back before the Teamster's election. That Hoffa didn't need the freight division to get reelected & that he was turning his back on us. We were in agreement that by Hoffa not putting UPSF in the NMFA it would be the beginning of the end. That the profitable ABF & YRC companies would end up having to give back in order to compete.

ABF got the same concessionary contract (nmfa) as YRC when our company is in great financial shape. This downturn in the economy won't last forever and anything we give back we will never get back!!! ABF got a cream puff contract handed to them, now they want more from us.... when does it end?? I'm sorry if this sounds harsh but you have to be out of your mind if you give back ANYTHING!!!!

Zollars continued, "The industry decline in volumes and pricing is continuing in the current quarter, affecting our profits and cash flow and our ability to pay down debt from operating funds. The modification to the agreement, which we expect to be ratified in December, will establish a more competitive cost structure allowing us to accelerate our market share recovery and capitalize on opportunities for future growth, while at the same time, defending the long-term prospects and job security of our employees."

I'm not the brightest bulb on the tree, but it looks to me as if Zollars is planning to use the wage giveback to lower freight rates.

First they use that extra dollar raise to buy down their unfunded liability. Now they want to use wage concessions to cut rates.

gravedigger doesn't think that ABF is included in it yet. I would bet that ABF won't even wait for the dust to settle.

I do not think ABF is included in these negotiations but i am almost positive as soon as it is ratified by theYRCW employees," and don't think it won't, it's a done deal", ABF will be screaming "us too". We sure as hell don't like what's happening but we better get used to it for now, hopefully the economy comes back sooner than later.

I do not think ABF is included in these negotiations but i am almost positive as soon as it is ratified by theYRCW employees," and don't think it won't, it's a done deal", ABF will be screaming "us too". We sure as hell don't like what's happening but we better get used to it for now, hopefully the economy comes back sooner than later.

Well look it at this way..When ABF wanted to negotiate a stand alone contract ,they were told they will accept the NMFA ,nothing less..Now the shoe is on the other foot so what do you think they will do???Hello:popcorn:

Yellow's Mess

I have a lot of friends at Yellow Freight and wish them all good luck. I also wish the best for all YRC employees. We are all brothers and sisters in the union. But about three months ago Yellow was completing it's acquisition of a logistics company from China. To me this is their mess, created by poor management and greed. When this was done they were already in financial trouble. Why buy if they didn't have the cash flow. Now Yellow wants concession's I hope it doesn't affect us but we know better.

maybe so
but how long will it take for abf to become financially strapped trying to compete with the lower labor costs of yrc
yrc will use the lower labor costs to heavily discount freight more than they normally do
once abf becomes hardpressed from that , they will be knocking at the int'ls door if not already
then we all go:TR10driving03:

the IBT should force yrc to sell off their profitable assets first such as new penn
new penn has always been a moneymaker, so they do not need relief
i believe when roadway corp acquired them they paid something like 700 mil, they have to be worth around 1 billion now
DHL is a potential suiter, was always looking for a freight company
abf as well
arkbest would love to bolster its abf utility network with the combination of what they now have and what new penn could bring to the table
yrc should use that cash from a fire sale instead of ours
probably sell holland also and yrc logistics to boot
sell the race car first, the hot air ballons etc etc etc

the IBT should be saying yrc should go to the government first before asking us
as the IBT should not be a willing partner to wreck the entire industry to save a **** poor run management team that is more than likely paid too much

the big three automakers did not ask for anything from their workers first and went directly to the gov and their workers have a much better deal than we do

the IBT should act like the UAW instead of trying to play the role of savior
our concessions to date ( every contract since 1982 ) should have been more than enough
i guess the IBT is resigned to the fact or used to the idea that the company has :nutkick: in the balls consistently

the irony of it all is that the non union jobs will have higher paid employees than the NMFA jobs

let's see it sort of looks like a downward spiral of events instead of raising the standards or at least holding the line for the workers
non union guys do not gloat as you also have a target on your backs as your companies will simply impose whatever they need without negotiating with you

Who would want to buy,after they ruined it?

Crazy, you & I predicted something like this happening back before the Teamster's election. That Hoffa didn't need the freight division to get reelected & that he was turning his back on us. We were in agreement that by Hoffa not putting UPSF in the NMFA it would be the beginning of the end. That the profitable ABF & YRC companies would end up having to give back in order to compete.

Do you really believe that in the 6 short months that UPSF has been under contract, that YRCW has not been able to compete and that our contract has sunk them. The problems of Yrcw started long before our contract was ratified.

ABF got the same concessionary contract (nmfa) as YRC when our company is in great financial shape. This downturn in the economy won't last forever and anything we give back we will never get back!!! ABF got a cream puff contract handed to them, now they want more from us.... when does it end?? I'm sorry if this sounds harsh but you have to be out of your mind if you give back ANYTHING!!!!

Come on, Spread the wealth!

Do you really believe that in the 6 short months that UPSF has been under contract, that YRCW has not been able to compete and that our contract has sunk them. The problems of Yrcw started long before our contract was ratified.

I'm not blaming the UPSF stand alone contract for YRCW's credit problems. YRCW, the holding company, brought that on itself by all it's borrowing & interference into the way it's companies were run.

ABF doesn't seem to be having any major problems in their ability to compete with UPSF

What I was referring to was the beginning of the end of the NMFA. YRC & ABF made it perfectly clear that they wanted the same relief from the NMFA that UPSF got.

I'm not blaming the UPSF stand alone contract for YRCW's credit problems. YRCW, the holding company, brought that on itself by all it's borrowing & interference into the way it's companies were run.

ABF doesn't seem to be having any major problems in their ability to compete with UPSF

What I was referring to was the beginning of the end of the NMFA. YRC & ABF made it perfectly clear that they wanted the same relief from the NMFA that UPSF got.

"relief" Are you refering to the pension plans?

Get ready ABF, your going to be asked to give back to help stay competative with YRC. The management teams & Teamster officials are going to present a concession package for EVERYONE in the Master Freight Agreement. This includes ABF which is presently not having Finanical problems. Once again LABOR is being asked to bail out a badly managed company only this time it's not even ours!!

o.k., I THINK WE ALL NEED TO TAKE A DEEP BREATH. REASONING FOR YRC ASKING FOR CONCESSIONS IS NOT ONLY BECAUSE OF LOW FREIGHT LEVELS, BUT ALSO BECAUSE OF THE MOVES THEY HAVE MADE SINCE THE YELLOW/ROADWAY MERGER COMBINING WITH THE STRUGGLING ECONOMY RIGHT NOW. SOMETHING LIKE A PERFECT STORM FOR THEM.

WHERE ABF HASN'T MADE ANY BIG MOVES LIKE YRC. ITS GOING TO TAKE ALOT FOR THE TEAMSTERS TO GIVE CONCESSIONS TO ABF. LOW FREIGHT LEVELS IS NOT ENOUGH OF A REASON, NOR IS STAYING COMPETITIVE WITH YRC. ESPECIALLY IF THE CONCESSIONS WITH YRS ARE TEMPORARY.

PLUS JUST BECAUSE A DEAL HAS BEEN REACHED BETWEEN THE IBT AND YRC, DOESN'T MEAN ITS A DONE DEAL. ITS STILL HAS TO BE VOTED ON BY LOCAL UNION LEADERS THEN VOTED ON BY THE YRC/TEAMSTER EMPLOYEES. AND THEN THE SAME WITH US HERE AT ABF.

NOW MOST ECONOMISTS ARE PREDICTING A REBOUND IN THE ECONOMY IN LATE 2009 OR EARLY 2010. SO BY THE TIME ABF WILL START ASKING FOR CONCESSIONS, I BET THE ECONOMY WILL BE GETTING BETTER. AT LEAST IT WILL IF THE GOVERNMENT WILL STOP THESE STUPID BAILOUTS. THE GOVERNMENT IS JUST PROLONGING A REBOUND. THEY TO LET THE FREE MARKET WORK.

ANYHOW, JUST SLOW DOWN, TAKE IN THE BIG PICTURE, AND CALM DOWN. WE'LL BE ALRIGHT. AND LETS JUST SUPPORT OUR TEAMSTERS BROTHERS OVER AT YRC.

I'M O.K. WITH TEMPORY CONCESSIONS AT YRC IF IT TRULY MEANS SAVING THEIR JOBS AND YRC. BUT TEMPORARY ONLY.

"relief" Are you refering to the pension plans?

Thats the biggest but not the only reason. How about wages & benefits, work rules , part timers & probably more.

Lets not make this into an argument between YRCW/ABF & UPSF Teamsters. I, along with many other Teamsters, walked the picketline at the Overnite Carteret NJ terminal in support of you guys joining the Teamster's union. We were led by the IBT to believe that you would be under the NMFA & in the MEPFs.

You have to admit without UPSF & any future companies like FedEx the NMFA is dead in the water.

:hysterical: They already posted this at the south chicago terminal. Telling us that now is the time to to address the "give back" question. He (KEMPP) states that we shouldn't wait until it's too late to be competitive. He says we should give back NOW. How about ABF give up the race car and quit giving bonuses out to the higher ups or how about this one, how about Abf start getting rid of some of the terminal management personnel that don't earn their pay or contribute to the bottom line or the profitability of ABF. should start to clean their own house before they ask me to take money out of mine.

Thank you! Excellent post! How about we get rid of the FAT like the race car (do we really need that damn thing?) and cut back on the execs' salaries (among other things) before they cut our wages? That's the only way that I would vote for the wage concession

We were led by the IBT to believe that you would be under the NMFA & in the MEPFs.

We also were led to believe the same thing.
Then what are we going around & around for ? It appears from some of your last posts that you think that some are trying to blame the UPSF contract for YRCW's (the holding company) cash flow & credit problems. I don't think that is the the case. YRCW brought those problems on itself. Competing with UPSF, Fed Ex, ABF etc didn't cause the problems.

As a union brother you are certainly welcome to post your opinions on this union company forum. But this thread is titled "ABF is asked to give back"
Get ready ABF, your going to be asked to give back to help stay competative with YRC. The management teams & Teamster officials are going to present a concession package for EVERYONE in the Master Freight Agreement. This includes ABF which is presently not having Finanical problems. Once again LABOR is being asked to bail out a badly managed company only this time it's not even ours!!

I am placing the blame on Hoffa Jr. for turning his back on the NMFA. He left the ABF & YRC Teamsters out on a limb & now he says we have to give back in order to stay competitive. If he had fought for a NMFA contract for UPSF then maybe we would not be gutting it right now.

Does anyone really think that Hoffa & co. didn't know that this would happen? These are some of the many posts that we made 2 years ago. Read the thread & you will see that what some of us predicted is exactly what is happening.
CFer I agree with your post on Hoffa Sr. We can only hope that Hoffa Jr's giving UPSF a special contract doesn't undo the good that his father did.

The NMFA set the standard & I'm afraid that UPSF's model contract (stand alone, white paper, special deal or whatever they want to call it) will set a new standard, In effect further weakening the freight driver's position in the middle class.
I Hope People Remember That Freight Drivers Are The People Who Made This Union What Is Has Become Today. Unfortunately Mr. Hoffa Jr. Doesnt Remember Who His Father Stood Up For. He Certainly Doesnt Think That We Are An Important Part Of This Union Anymore. If He Did He Wouldnt Be Giving Ups A White Paper Deal Which Will Prove Disasterous For All The Remaining Union Drivers. Hoffa Jr. Represents Big Buisness Not Truck Drivers Anymore. I Dont Know If Leedham The Answer But I Cant Let Hoffa Throw My 35 Years Down The Drain.
Exactly the reason why I feel it is so important to have UPSF under the NMFA. If they are allowed to negotiate a "special contract" then any company organized in the future will demand "special contracts" as well.

UPS is the biggest & the "tightest ship in the shipping industry " etc. If they are not required to operate under the NMFA then how is any other union company going to compete with them.

Call me doom & gloom if you want guys but I have a real bad feeling on the effect this UPSF contract deal will have on the Teamster freight div. Turn out the lights cause the party is over.

Those were made 2 years ago, long before the UPSF contract was voted in.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Heres my question.if the vote is yes on the givebacks and yrcw goes out and raises their discounts about the same percentage of the giveback arent they in the same boat and wouldnt it make the givebacks point-less?Also i think management should have a higher giveback because they created this mess.Iam a a.b.f. driver watching this mess because now your a$$ for a ceo is now going to affect our lives as well as all yours.If my giving back can help yrcw teamsters survive then i can live with it, but if its to let yrcw management cut more discounts so they can take more freight away from us is ridicioulous!!!!!!!!!!!!
We have to watch our accounts very closely if this has in fact gone thru,i dont mind helping but why should my 24 yrs. be put at risk because some idiot running another company wants to be king!How he hasnt been fired is a joke,he took very profitable companys and ran them into the ground! I feel sorry for the yrcw employees who get up everyday to go to work wondering "whats gonna happen today!".

I
Then what are we going around & around for ? It appears from some of your last posts that you think that some are trying to blame the UPSF contract for YRCW's (the holding company) cash flow & credit problems. I don't think that is the the case. YRCW brought those problems on itself. Competing with UPSF, Fed Ex, ABF etc didn't cause the problems.

As a union brother you are certainly welcome to post your opinions on this union company forum. But this thread is titled "ABF is asked to give back"

I am placing the blame on Hoffa Jr. for turning his back on the NMFA. He left the ABF & YRC Teamsters out on a limb & now he says we have to give back in order to stay competitive. If he had fought for a NMFA contract for UPSF then maybe we would not be gutting it right now.

Does anyone really think that Hoffa & co. didn't know that this would happen? These are some of the many posts that we made 2 years ago. Read the thread & you will see that what some of us predicted is exactly what is happening.

Those were made 2 years ago, long before the UPSF contract was voted in.

Yes, I understand where your coming from here. It seems UPS new exactly what they were doing and we felt that UPS was running the show and not the Teamsters. We now will live with the repercussions and a new era in the freight Industry.