ABF | ABF / Teamsters Future

I think them non-union companys will jump at our freight just to put money in there pocket.......

freightshaker69 :1036316054:

Not worth it.

Actually the non-union companies would not go after the freight hauled by union LTL companies while they are on strike.
Three reasons:
First: by going after so much freight all of a sudden they risk giving bad service to their regular accounts.
Secondly: they would have to rent a bunch of equipment and then hope to not lose it somewhere.
Thirdly: a lot of that freight would go back to the union carriers after strike is over and therefore not making it worth the extra effort.

After a union LTL carriers goes out of business, and only then would the non-union outfits want to pick from the better paying freight left over. They would not want to haul cheap freight like CF was forced to haul just to keep their trailers full

stldude :1036316054:

I was just wondering if you spent more than 5 minutes thinking as to why the "companies" are pushing so hard for a quick settlement???
Could it be that the customers (shippers) are the ones pushing the union LTL companies to find a quick settlement before they have to hedge their bets and sign long term (1 to 3 year) contracts with non-union carriers. These non-union carriers already have told these shippers that they are not going to bother hauling their freight for a temporary period.
So the more freight these shippers have to divert for their own protection the more drivers could stay laid-off for a very long time.
R17,
Actually I have no idea how much time I spent thinking about it but anything more than a few minutes would've been a waste of time. Every year before the NMFA the nons try to scare the customers and this year probably isn't any different. Any shipper, unless of course they live with their head buried in the sand, knows that there will never be another freight strike. So in reality a non Union salesman risks losing credibility by attempting to secure freight ahead of something that won't happen. People don't like to be treated like they're stupid so I suggest the non Union salesmen should just keep using this tactic and maybe we'll end up with some of their better freight. Note that I mention only better freight since we wouldn't want to haul their junk freight anyway.

You know river17 your exactlly right on the money with your observation.
Thats just what happened during the UPS strike many years ago.
All the non-union accounts suffered because of bad service.
Shippers were in a panic,and all LTL trucking companies docks were flooded with freight,and shippers begging for truckers to haul their stuff.
It was a real nightmare,and a half.
I know I've been working driving a city route for a non-union LTL now into my 21st year.
So I know all about this over welming event,and hope I never have to deal with it again.

Think again

stldude :1036316054:

I was just wondering if you spent more than 5 minutes thinking as to why the "companies" are pushing so hard for a quick settlement???
Could it be that the customers (shippers) are the ones pushing the union LTL companies to find a quick settlement before they have to hedge their bets and sign long term (1 to 3 year) contracts with non-union carriers. These non-union carriers already have told these shippers that they are not going to bother hauling their freight for a temporary period.
So the more freight these shippers have to divert for their own protection the more drivers could stay laid-off for a very long time.

:smilie_132:

I don't know how long you have been around but, in 1994 when we were on strike all the Sc-- carriers were rushing around trying to acquire the freight that was being hauled by Master freight carriers and especially Overnite and it put them so far behind they had freight that didn't get moved for weeks after the strike was setteled. And I also remember Consc-b also ran adds in the paper for employees after trying to get a leg up while we were enjoying our three week vacation. So please don't fool yourself in thinking that all of the nons won't be foaming at the mouth hoping for a strike.

Tell you what guys. Non union reps are going after union freight. They are going after non union freight. It does not make.

Their job is to put profitable freight into their system.

AND union carrier reps are doing the same thing.

I don't know how long you have been around but, in 1994 when we were on strike all the Sc-- carriers were rushing around trying to acquire the freight that was being hauled by Master freight carriers and especially Overnite and it put them so far behind they had freight that didn't get moved for weeks after the strike was setteled. And I also remember Consc-b also ran adds in the paper for employees after trying to get a leg up while we were enjoying our three week vacation. So please don't fool yourself in thinking that all of the nons won't be foaming at the mouth hoping for a strike.

unionman :1036316054:

You made my point. The non-union carriers are not going to make that same mistake again.

R17,
Any shipper, unless of course they live with their head buried in the sand, knows that there will never be another freight strike.

stldude44 :1036316054:

So what is the reason for having a union anymore if you are not willing to go on strike.
You are just telling everybody that you have no leverage.
I guess that means UPS, ABF and YRCW will be able to fix their old pension plans like they want to do.

So what is the reason for having a union anymore if you are not willing to go on strike.
You are just telling everybody that you have no leverage.
I guess that means UPS, ABF and YRCW will be able to fix their old pension plans like they want to do.
Nobody said we wouldn't be willing to strike if pushed to that point. What most of us know is that the Companies will not push us to that point. Evidently we have enough leverage that the Companies want to settle early. One needs only to use a minimum amount of common sense to see this. And I wouldn't count on the big pension changes you seem to be so interested in.

Nobody said we wouldn't be willing to strike if pushed to that point. What most of us know is that the Companies will not push us to that point. Evidently we have enough leverage that the Companies want to settle early. One needs only to use a minimum amount of common sense to see this. And I wouldn't count on the big pension changes you seem to be so interested in.

You should be the one interested in them being able to fix the pension plans. That is if you are interested in the long term survival of these companies. As long as they are profitable there is no problem, but apparently these pensions are a worry otherwise they would not be talking about trying to fix them.

why r u worried about our pension plan river, is your plan so much better?? oh, i forgot, sorry...

trubigtymer :1036316054:

Our pension plan is sustainable and has been improved. Starting in 2008 we control our pension plan and get to leave to any beneficiary of our choice.
Hopefully you guys will get to have the same.

stldude44

You should be the one interested in them being able to fix the pension plans. That is if you are interested in the long term survival of these companies. As long as they are profitable there is no problem, but apparently these pensions are a worry otherwise they would not be talking about trying to fix them.
These issues are a Teamsters matter and I really fail to see why you concern yourself with them other than to attempt a jab at us and frankly it's getting old. If we decide we need your help or advice we'll contact you.

You are very welcome Bother stldude44.

We may have problems within OUR union but they are ours . We need NO help from outsiders to stir up union problems.

These issues are a Teamsters matter and I really fail to see why you concern yourself with them other than to attempt a jab at us and frankly it's getting old. If we decide we need your help or advice we'll contact you.

I apologize for getting in the middle of your situation. I don't think I was attempting any jabs. You guys got it all under control and will just read from now on.

stldude44
I apologize for getting in the middle of your situation. I don't think I was attempting any jabs. You guys got it all under control and will just read from now on.
If that's true, you must be the only one who doesn't see the many jabs in this and other Union Forums you've taken. You attempt do it in a polite, halfway slick kind of way, but we're not all as blind as you might think we are. A bunch of us have been in this game a lot longer than you know with all or most of it in the Teamsters. We know all about the many issues facing the industry today and remain the only ones with the stones to try to do anything about it other than complain or call Human Resources.

A "REAL job" & a "bad business model" You sound more like management than labor to me.
river17, I have posted it before & I'll post it again, your posts look more to me as if you are in management and not a truckdriver. And it would appear that you have an anti-union agenda

3- FedEx is planning a big push in sept. to try & use the threat of a union strike in order to take away a lot of our business.

Hey guys fedex driver just visiting. I am a former ABF driver. Please tell me what the big push in sept will be? They haven't told us about it, of course they don't say much about anything. If I may ask when is you contract up, everything we get is based on what you guys get. I don't believe there will be a strike from what I hear from the union drivers I know. I do miss ABF.:hide: