ABF | Abf vs upsf

Both companies have their ways of getting it done. UPS uses a stick and ABF is more into grounding you. lol We are driven by the desire to succeed as Teamsters. UPS is driven by a BIG CORPORATE MACHINE! They have their foot prints all over the world. ABF has rules and they demand that they be followed.We Teamsters at ABF have been given the responsibility to carry the union flag for now. Yes yrc has fallen on hard times and needs a hand up. I know many have written we the Teamsters off but we are not dead YET! YOUR BROTHER ALWAYS!

Well said...

ABFer said:
UPS has their own pension but nobody seems to know exactly what it is. The Teamsters pensions are all on shaky ground right now but who knows where it will all end up? ABF is a well run company not too bad to work for but that varies from terminal to terminal. UPSF is.....welllllll.....UPS. Talk to some UPS drivers and see what a hell hole that place is to work at. At UPS it is get fired and fight for your job back, UPSF is going the same route. As history has it where you go and whether or not it was the right choice is all a matter of chance. Nobody knows what the future holds for any company.
Good luck wherever you end up.

Upsf now has working terminations. Your terminated but you work until the final outcome of your hearing.

I worked for UPS for five years. I thought they were like the military to me. ABF is very laid back in general your experience may vary. LOL

To answer all the ?s Yes we have many work rules, it keeps us safe.
In Michigan its the law to buckle up in any moving vehicle.
Chains across the dock door is for safety.
Steel toe shoes are so you don't smash your toes.
DOT rules are you pre-trip and look for somthing wrong, smart idea I think.
DIADS help dispatch move you around for pick-ups faster.
Lunches are a DOT rule to help stop sleepy drives.
If you take a longer lunch why should you get payed?
Termination only after 3 warnings, just do it and you won't be terminated.
We are guaranteed 8 hours but you might be sweeping the dock or cleaning a toilet.
Yes you should pace yourself and not let them run you to death, it's up to you to work safe.
UPS training, yes safety first, training is all about working safe.
Yes about 12 items on a DR, not hard to fill out at all. Normal stuff.
So if you are done for the day should you stay around for a extra 20 minutes or so, I think not go home.
Face it UPS runs a tight ship. Thats why it's one of the best.

I've never worked for any other freight company besides ABF but from what I here it is the easiest company to work for. I personally have no complaints at all after five years. I've been treated with respect from day one. Now with that being said I have also nevern heard anything bad about UPSF. As a matter of fact if anything were to happen to my job here at ABF the only other freight company I would apply to work for is UPSF.

I've never worked for any other freight company besides ABF but from what I here it is the easiest company to work for. I personally have no complaints at all after five years. I've been treated with respect from day one. Now with that being said I have also nevern heard anything bad about UPSF. As a matter of fact if anything were to happen to my job here at ABF the only other freight company I would apply to work for is UPSF.

Only the boss's pets get respect at the terminal where I work. The rest get treated like:::shit:::

I got laid off at yrc after 5 years after the roadway merger got on at conway the next week then a year later upsf called and I took that gamble even though I had 8 guys under me and was avg 8-$900 a week! Ima be honest my pay drop to 15.68hr dock and 16.10 driving and lucking to get 4 hours most days. I get good hours when guys go vacation and I worked everyday in the winter even if it was only 3.5 hours. But I think im in a good position I work with alot of guys who gettin ready to leave soon. This company is a well run oil machine and all about making production goals even if its means sitting guys home for the day. My buddy works at abf and laid off at lest 4 months out of the year for the last 3 years. So I would come to upsf cause in 3 years you sould be set $$$$$$$$ and try not to wait until a company go under cause then you got alot guys going after a few positions cause upsf not gonna haul anything and might not hire as many people as you think!

Skeeter, you said it, The company pays into a retirement plan for you, which is a single employer pension plan. NO other companies pay into it which reduces your your social security
by that amount which you receive from your pension. College boys thought this up and it's not really a pension protection. HA, HA, HA !!!!!!!!!!!!! Rear end loaded find out when you go to retire.
I didn't write the law just read it.

I do no upsf has more bids and start times. Iam a road driver seven years and still on call at abf and we work 24 seven.

Skeeter, you said it, The company pays into a retirement plan for you, which is a single employer pension plan. NO other companies pay into it which reduces your your social security
by that amount which you receive from your pension. College boys thought this up and it's not really a pension protection. HA, HA, HA !!!!!!!!!!!!! Rear end loaded find out when you go to retire.

Maybe us smart college boy drivers can do something about that 2013???

So you are saying upsf has a single employer pension,and abf has a multi-employer pension(central states)?:shrug:

I think you are close. The pension benefit drops when SS kicks in. If you retire at 57 with 30 years you get 1 amount. At 65 or your normal retirement date, the pension drops dollar for dollar as you get social security. That's the way it was explained to me. I just got vested with UPSF. If I understand the statement I got correctly, I would get $90 per month for each year of service. I also have 22 years with NMFA Local 776.

UPS has their own pension but nobody seems to know exactly what it is. The Teamsters pensions are all on shaky ground right now but who knows where it will all end up? ABF is a well run company not too bad to work for but that varies from terminal to terminal. UPSF is.....welllllll.....UPS. Talk to some UPS drivers and see what a hell hole that place is to work at. At UPS it is get fired and fight for your job back, UPSF is going the same route. As history has it where you go and whether or not it was the right choice is all a matter of chance. Nobody knows what the future holds for any company.
Good luck wherever you end up.

As an employee of UPSF I know exactly what my pension consists of and the formulas used, as should anyone else that would do the foot work to find out what their benefits consist of. Most people don't care until they get closer to retirement. There is a public version (37 page) of our UPSF pension ************* I have not seen this get fired and fight to get your job back attitude yet. 31 year road driver..Overnite/UPSF

As 5-6 of my friends that have already retired from UPSF, Their UPSF monthly pension payments has not affected there social security earnings.