Another Oak H Blunder

unions dont profit from strikes it drains money from the strike fund that we contribute to it is in the best interest of the union to keep us working a strike is the last resort .
as for the comment on the union hurting the woprking man i would have to disagree this company has been trying to push us further and further backwards that is the what is hurting the working man we have families to support our benefits are included in the pay package for the work we do .
if the vanderfools asked for a vote on these choices it would have been voted down but they want to dictate policies that would hurt the employees and thier families the union backs us up not the other way around they work for us just like the company lawyers work for them there was merit found on some of the ulps hence we werent permanently replaced if you like working for a company like this that is fine we choose to make it a better place to work after all arent we just trying to provide a good life for our families is that too much to ask for STATUS QUO i think is what the company should have done

Who pays the strike fund? You. Whose dues will most likely increase because of the strike fund depletion, yours.

When i say profit, I mean they "at times" use strikes to prove their worth. To prove that dues you pay are for a reason. If all the union did was show up and negotiate your contract every 3 years, I'm sure you find little use for them.

So they need the issues between employer and employee to justify their existance. Using disproved ULP charges is just one of many tactics used to justify taking your money. They profit, because they have convinced all of you that the charges were true. Therefore they keep earning money from your dues. But now they have been disproven. Will you ask for your money back? Probably not, and therefore, the union profits.

Who pays the strike fund? You. Whose dues will most likely increase because of the strike fund depletion, yours.

When i say profit, I mean they "at times" use strikes to prove their worth. To prove that dues you pay are for a reason. If all the union did was show up and negotiate your contract every 3 years, I'm sure you find little use for them.

So they need the issues between employer and employee to justify their existance. Using disproved ULP charges is just one of many tactics used to justify taking your money. They profit, because they have convinced all of you that the charges were true. Therefore they keep earning money from your dues. But now they have been disproven. Will you ask for your money back? Probably not, and therefore, the union profits.

Stop saying something that is untrue. You do it over and over even when the post right before yours points it out. Most of the ULP's from the Union were deemed to have merit. They were not disproven as you state. Just like airhorn said but you keep coming back to the same thing spouting the same lies. You have no credibility.

Stop saying something that is untrue. You do it over and over even when the post right before yours points it out. Most of the ULP's from the Union were deemed to have merit. They were not disproven as you state. Just like airhorn said but you keep coming back to the same thing spouting the same lies. You have no credibility.

No one pointed anything that I have said to be untrue.

If it is untrue, point me to where it says that, FACTUALLY not with your opinion. The strike purpose was deemed to have merit as an ULP strike, but the charges were deemed unfounded by the NLRB. Which is why the Union brought you all back to work with no charge against the company.

Again, if I am wrong prove it. The only thing that was pointed out by previous posts was that the union employees get to come back after the strike. That would have happened regardless, and that is not the reason you went on strike. The reasons you went on strike (Unfair Labor Practice), all came back with no merit.

They did not use this strike to "prove their worth". All of us have been working for ohfl without a contract for about 18 months. They keep saying it all takes time. How come the big boys can settle a contract before it is due?
Also we have been working under the conditions of the ULP's. Runarounds, ignoring senority, our pension is part of the wages we negotiated in our last contract as well as the H & W benefits. Went and refilled prescriptions on the companies great plan and it will cost my family more than $50extra a month. So you see it is all take away from the company. Nothing gained on our side. Yes I want the union to stay after the vp's until we get a decent contract we can all live with.

They did not use this strike to "prove their worth". All of us have been working for ohfl without a contract for about 18 months. They keep saying it all takes time. How come the big boys can settle a contract before it is due?
Also we have been working under the conditions of the ULP's. Runarounds, ignoring senority, our pension is part of the wages we negotiated in our last contract as well as the H & W benefits. Went and refilled prescriptions on the companies great plan and it will cost my family more than $50extra a month. So you see it is all take away from the company. Nothing gained on our side. Yes I want the union to stay after the vp's until we get a decent contract we can all live with.

I can understand the added cost to your family. It sucks, no one wants to see added costs. But it happens, in every company and every industry. Should the company bear all of the cost, and still improve your lifestyle?

Or can a company's employees help the long term profitability of the company by sharing in the costs?

Unfortunately, it sounds like the majority on here believe the company should shoulder all of the costs, and the employees should gain. It simply cannot work that way.

This is a very broad view. I do feel for you and the increased cost, but his is not isolated to evil owners of Oak harbor. look around, the economy is tanking and company's as well as people need to adjust their budgets for increased costs. You can't just say, "I've never had to pay this, so i won't now" It's not realistic.

Nothing personal, but I'm truly starting to feel like no one gets me, or what it is I'm trying to say. Maybe I'm a bad writer??

Good thing I drive and load trucks and don't try to live off of my writing....

(That was a joke, trying to lighten the mood)

No one pointed anything that I have said to be untrue.

If it is untrue, point me to where it says that, FACTUALLY not with your opinion. The strike purpose was deemed to have merit as an ULP strike, but the charges were deemed unfounded by the NLRB. Which is why the Union brought you all back to work with no charge against the company.

Again, if I am wrong prove it. The only thing that was pointed out by previous posts was that the union employees get to come back after the strike. That would have happened regardless, and that is not the reason you went on strike. The reasons you went on strike (Unfair Labor Practice), all came back with no merit.

They were proven to be factual, Dave didn't just sign this because he felt like it.
http://www.oakhanswers.com/nu/OceTDS1960.pdf
also this page 1&2 support the charges had no merit
pages 3&4 show they were found guilty. The information is out there just look.
http://www.oakhanswers.com/nu/ulp_settlement.pdf
You didn't come across as hostile, but the company had no intention to bring us back and we would not have been allowed to come back unless the NLRB had ruled againts the company.
The company was hiring permanent replacement workers.

They were proven to be factual, Dave didn't just sign this because he felt like it.
http://www.oakhanswers.com/nu/OceTDS1960.pdf
also this page 1&2 support the charges had no merit
pages 3&4 show they were found guilty. The information is out there just look.
http://www.oakhanswers.com/nu/ulp_settlement.pdf
You didn't come across as hostile, but the company had no intention to bring us back and we would not have been allowed to come back unless the NLRB had ruled againts the company.
The company was hiring permanent replacement workers.

Thank you for that... OK it is making more sense and I see that 2 different issues were being debated. I stand corrected on the points outlined above.

I can understand the added cost to your family. It sucks, no one wants to see added costs. But it happens, in every company and every industry. Should the company bear all of the cost, and still improve your lifestyle?

Or can a company's employees help the long term profitability of the company by sharing in the costs?

Unfortunately, it sounds like the majority on here believe the company should shoulder all of the costs, and the employees should gain. It simply cannot work that way.

This is a very broad view. I do feel for you and the increased cost, but his is not isolated to evil owners of Oak harbor. look around, the economy is tanking and company's as well as people need to adjust their budgets for increased costs. You can't just say, "I've never had to pay this, so i won't now" It's not realistic.

Nothing personal, but I'm truly starting to feel like no one gets me, or what it is I'm trying to say. Maybe I'm a bad writer??

Good thing I drive and load trucks and don't try to live off of my writing....

(That was a joke, trying to lighten the mood)

You say we should just adjust and bear the additional cost. Are you aware that we have not had a raise for more than 2 years? The cost of living has continually increased but we and our families have had to live with less because the vp's will not ratify a contract. Now nothing is being put into our pension, my previous post shows that our personal medical costs are going up and we do not have any sick time. If you are looking for us to give the company some slack it will just never happen. They brought this on, they refuse to settle a contract, they have had no increases in wages for more than 2 years, they are not increasing our pension and they asre stiffing us with substandard medical. At what point should we just roll over?

Brainwashing, Truth, Lies, Nobody really knows! Do they? All I can say is that when things happen to you personally they become truth. all one really has to do is look at what happened. I worked for a great company at one point. they seemed to have it all I considered them better than the big boys of the industry, but how did they get that way? from the people who look at numbers and say your not efficient enough here is more work and now do it in less time than yesterday? from someone who never even sat in a truck let alone drive one, no it came from those out in the trucks making the deliveries and the pick ups. the workers HELPED create ohfl. when a company says they value their employees and their families one would think that means we really care about you. I am amazed at how gullable some of you are that you actually believe them. I did at first because they actually seemed to care but when the caring stopped so did the believing. personally they proved to me how they cared when they proposed an offer that was not fair. they were never in distress financially so why push those changes? one can plainly see that if they were in financial distress they would never had made it five and a half months. they really should be out of business by now but because they had such great financial resources they survived to ship another day. and as a valued employee standing on the line watching replacements doing the work i did for more than 10 years proves it again. the company would rather bring in a new crew to do the same work as a experience crew and now call them their valued employees also proved it once again. as far as the teamsters are concerned if the company can (spend a fortune) to have attorney's looking out for their intrests, the union looking out for mine only levels the playing field. here's and idea ed get rid of the attorney's (you will same millions probably) and just come to terms that the union will not go away so take all that money and pay the old trusts for health and welfare and retirement. without the unions there would only be two classes, the wealthy business owners who take advantage of loopholes to avoid taxes and the workers who end up paying what the company should have out of THEIR pockets. oh im sorry we already have that!

"...Look Shifterknob, you want to call me out for a chip? You my friend, no matter how well you type your inane banter, are at best, dilusional... Your first dilusion, is to dare compare yourself or your meager little strike, to the honorable soldiers that have died in World Wars, or to compare Union leadership to the honorable miltary leaders that had to make the toughest decisions possible and send soldiers to die..."

Well, maybe I'm being "dilusional" here (a word I wasn't aware existed in the English lexicon, but which apparently means I'm extremely watered-down), but I wasn't exactly making a direct comparison between union members or union leaders and soldiers. I think my point escaped you completely (and really... am I surprised?), which was talking about leadership.

However, that point being made, I do think there are parallels, as union members have fought and DIED for rights that crud-pickers like you take for granted.

I would also point out that Teamsters and other union members are still Americans, and many have- and are- fighting for this country's freedom abroad. In addition, they have also fought at home on the battlefront of labor law to defend our rights granted us under the Constitution and federal labor law, that while continually are under attack and indanger of being undermined, exist to protect ALL workers... even the ones like you too dim to grasp their significance or relevence!

"...Unions profit off of putting it's members at risk, and call it fighting for you. Military leaders do what they do for a much more noble cause, and for you to compare them is sickening. Your battle for the brotherhood, is nothing compared to the battles fought for the country..."

A fight for a principle is still a fight for a principle, and blood has been shed by union members and lives sacrificed in order to defend our inalienable rights under the law of the land. Whether we are fighting a Fascist dictator or a greedy CEO, the fight is defined by the principles being fought over, and I am proud to have stood along with my brothers and sisters and helped to, in some small way, fight the good fight.

Your perception of what unions are is both flawed and sad, and shows at heart your basic ignorance of the law and history. I am not going to waste my time trying to convince someone as obiously thick-headed as you where the errors of your reasoning are.

"...Second, I don't care how long you have been on this board, or what your "Status" has been. I have lived through strikes and I have been on both sides and came out of the experiences with a true understanding of the behind the scenes playbook. I came here to share MY PERSONAL views and don't need you to tell me what I can and can't say. Kick me off the board, delete my posts, I don't care, my life will go on. But don't silence the message because you don't agree with it. If you really care about your union brothers, let them see both sides and make their own decisions. Or is your leadership style tell them what they should think? Facist? Communist? Dictatorship?..."

Ah, I see the chip on your shoulder has swelled to enormous proportions, threatening to knock you completely off the straight and narrow path of reason and logic.

How sad for you.

Your personal views are no more divinely inspired than mine or anyone else's, my friend. I certainly don't get very upset if someone disagrees with me, but neither do I give up the debate. I just thought it was interesting how you choose to come into a forum where you seem to have nothing at stake, pick fights with posters and moderators, and when someone like myself who has been a member of this board for a long time tries to give you a little advice on how to handle yourself, you jump up on your proverbial soapbox and begin spouting off like a martyr facing a firing squad.

Save it... it impresses no one, and you merely look foolish and petty.

And on the note of union leadership... we believe in democracy. Our leaders are elected, and our important decisions are voted on by the rank-and-file. I don't remember getting to vote David VP as Co-President, nor has he ever come to me and asked me to vote on his major business decisions. So just which is the democracy, and which is the Fascist state?

"...As i have read, your ULP's were bogus and denied. You spent 157 days on the street and all you can tell me is that it was for a higher purpose? PLEASE tell me what you gained?..."

Well, you read wrong. Shocking.

Of the original four ULP's that were filed, one was denied, and three were upheld. The later charge of Surface Bargaining was lost, appealed, and lost on appeal. There are multiple ULP's filed since the union went back to work, and they are in the process of being investigated as we speak. Having done our research, we are looking very good on these new ULP's, and I think the company is facing a great deal of heat in the very near future...

"...Finally, you call me a coward? I disagree. But I don't have to justify myself to you. I don't have to tell you about the times I fired my weapon, in two seperate engagements, in defense of your ability to call me a coward.

You promote a democracy where the masses are told what to do for their leadership.

I promote a democracy based on freedom, where soldiers are soldiers, and truck drivers are truck drivers. One carries out orders, the other delivers orders. One risks his or her life, the other punches a clock in some american city safe because of the soldier, and in your case, walks away when the job benefits don't please him, trying to hurt his company financially to get what he wants.

For you to think they are the same, is pitiful. And before you tell me how important truck drivers are, I know, i am one and my career relies on them. But I have also been a soldier, and the 2 are nothing alike..."

Again, my befuddled friend, you completely miss the point. Lose the almighty chip on your shoulder, and get over it. Many Teamsters have fought in American conflicts, and some have died. When you put on a military uniform, you are no longer union or non-union... you are a soldier.

On the other hand, there are similarities between soldiers going to war for a principle like freedom, and union members engaging in a struggle for justice and to protect their rights. I'm not claiming that they are a direct comparison... but in the end, a battle over principle is the same whether it is military in nature, or fought on the street and in the courtroom.

"...You have been measured Shifterknob, and you have failed.

Unfortunately, your (and the union's) failure has hurt the working man that you claim you represent. I hope the masses really see the truth about this.

You say they want to bust the Union, why wouldn't they when they saw a good portion of their workforce walk away for bogus claims by a 3rd party of ULP's? 157 days! Charges denied! How about you file for back pay from the Union for leading you to strike for reasons that were false?..."

You know, if you had any valid knowledge of what was going on or the facts, you might be a soeone worth debating with. As it is, you are throwing out non-factual information, and basing your entire argument on your opinion and specious and wrong information.

Our "masses" voted to go on strike. They knew what was at stake, and most of them stood up like real American men and women, and fought an employer who sought to break their spirits and break their union.

By my opinion, they are judged heros in my book. I don't give a crap how you say I have been judged, because I wasn't important in the first place, and never claimed to be. The ones who stood up and fought are all heros to me, and always will be, and I will never forget their bravery and their fortitude and their faith in their beliefs.

The ones who crossed and betrayed us I will also never forget or forgive. They are forever etched in my mind as traitorous scum who crawled on their bellies to lick the bootheels of their masters, like the slaves they are...

You aren't worthy to judge me, or anyone else who stood out on a picket line. You are a slave in your heart, shackled and chained, and you only have yourself to blame for that fact...

"...But you will probably tell me I'm wrong again, and you all stood for a principle. And i'm a coward for not agreeing. The bravest thing anyone could have done was to go against the Union in this case. Can't you see that? The brave thing was to stand alone and say, I don't agree with the Union, I am staying with my employer in opposition to my co-workers. They knew one day you would be back. They knew they would be ridiculed. They knew the Union would blacklist them. But they had the courage to cross YOUR line and go to the job.

Maybe you were the scared one, afraid to go against the Union? I Wonder..."

I voted for the strike, as did most of my fellow employees. The union didn't hold a gun to my head or anyone else's head and force us out. We went out with our heads high and our eyes open, and with a clear heart and conscience.

I know that for someone like you... a slave, I mean... that such a concept would be alien and scary, but most of us have no problem standing up for our rights and for a greater principle of good.

It was- and is- a good fight. When a Native American was in a battle, he would often say, "It is a good day to die". He didn't say that because he was suicidal. He said that because he knew that some fights were worth fighting, and that as long as his spirit, his mind, and his body were in harmony, he would fight to the death for what he believed in.

Some people run and never fight, because they believe in nothing. Some people stand up and fight for the greater good, because we believe in things greater than ourselves, and because, if we didn't...

Who would?

I've known union members, tough-talking union members no less, who advocated for taking a tough stance and yes... even going on strike, who no sooner than the pickets went up, were crossing the line.

It had nothing to do with providing for their families. At Oak Harbor, many of the picket line crossers went out and actually had other jobs at other union LTL companies and were working!

So... why did they cross, if they had jobs and didn't need to provide for their families?

Greed... plain and simple. Many of these guys were senior guys at OHFL who simply couldn't bear the thought of going to the bottom of another board, or losing their five weeks of vacation.

It was easier for them to stick a knife in the back of their fellow employees, many of whom had to sit there and listen to these fine, upstanding senior individuals whine and complain about OHFL management for years before the strike!

Greed... and self-centeredness. If that is the ideal they and you are so proudly espousing... you can have it.

I'll settle for sacrifice and loyalty and brotherhood and staying true to one's principle's no matter how hard or painful it happens to be.

Then you aren't a leader, plainly put.

A leader, union or otherwise, sometimes has to look at the bigger picture and make decisions for the majority. Did General Eisenhower hesitate on the eve of D-Day, knowing how many casualties the Allies would take on the beaches? He did not.

Eisenhower was a leader who understood a little something about sacrifice for the greater good. He might have halted the invasion of Normandy to prevent those Allied losses, but would likely have lost the war in the long run, creating an even greater human catastrophe. No one who fought in those battles and lost friends and family felt that their sacrifice was in vain.

Very few who stand on union picket lines feel that their sacrifice is in vain, either. A battle for a higher principle is a battle for a higher principle, whether the tyrant is a Fascist dictator or a corporate megalomaniac (cough cough David VP cough cough).

If you never stand up for anything, you will eventually run out of places to run to. History teaches us this lesson quite clearly.

Case in point: Woodrow Wilson tried to keep us out of WWI in a futile attempt to stay neutral in what he viewed as a mainly European conflict, without taking the time or effort to understand the nature of Kaiser Wilhelm's dream of empire and glory. Wilson's indifference to the rising toll of death and destruction merely extended the length of the war and guaranteed the fact that the U.S. would inevitably be drawn into the conflict.

You say you would never walk a picket line over medical or sick pay. If things got bad enough, you would simply leave. But if everyone felt that way, in no time, no company would offer any of those options. You could run and run and run, from one company to the next, and you would be on a treadmill to the bottom.

Why?

Because you refuse to draw a line in the sand. You refuse to say, "I am worth X amount, and I am willing to fight for it, if need be."

Instead, you reveal that you have a cowardly soul and value nothing more than the fact that your own self-interest takes precedence over larger principles like sacrifice and brotherhood. Such were values that Jesus himself taught and revered, and Mohammad, too.

I would say union workers were in good company, there...

You are completely missing the point here: collective bargaining is not about one side dictating to the other in empirical fashion and winning a complete victory. Collective bargain is, at it's heart, about compromise and give and take. I have never seen a successful contract bargained where both sides didn't each gain some and lose some.

Every union leader knows a strike is the ultimate roll of the dice, because what you risk is often more than you might gain. But in many cases, a strike is the last and remaining resort when all other options have failed. Very few unions in the modern age feel like they have clear and overwhelming leverage on the employer they are battling, and so every strike is a carefully calculated gambit to force the employer to move their pieces on the proverbial board.

Have some strikes been called because of foolish greed? Sure. Have some strikes been forced because of employer misconduct, i.e. Oak Harbor Freight Lines? Of course. Some strikes are not about economics, but about deeper principles based in the law we all live under. If an employer insists on breaking the law, a union often has to initiate a strike to bring the government's attention to bear on the problem.

It's not about a simple numerical tally. If the union had simply rolled over and gave in on the medical or the sick pay, what would have happened in the next contract? They had already made it clear the pension was next. Their game was to drive a wedge between the union and the employees, with the ultimate goal beng of breaking the union.

It wasn't really about dollars and cents... never was for Dave and Eddy-boy. It was about control. It was about stubborness and greed and a spoiled little boy's reaction "No one is going to tell me what to do in my own company!"

They went so far as to fly back East and meet with other companies that had broken the union at their respective workplaces!

Their clear intent was never to bargain in good faith, per the law, but instead to roadblock, fillibuster, and delay. I've been there, seen it with my own eyes, and know of what I speak. And the NLRB knows this too, and woe be to Dave and Eddy-boy when the judgments start rolling down upon their heads!

Just a piece of advice, my friend: I've been on this board a long time as a poster and as a former moderator. The respect you give is the respect you will receive.

Posting on this board with a big chip on your shoulder will earn you few friends, and no respect. Debate is encouraged, so long as it is constructive and central to the topic at hand and the forum it is contained in. Pick your fights better, and don't get a chip on your shoulder every time someone disagrees with you, whether they are a moderator or not.

In the end, these are all just opinions and thoughts. Nothing to get worked up over, especially if you have no dog in this fight as you claim...
Question, How can you be greedy going back to such a terrible job.

Question, How can you be greedy going back to such a terrible job.

Who said he went back? Maybe he is still fighting for what is right. My personal quest is to fight these greedy tyrants in any way I can. They should not be allowed to get away with ileagle activities, or riding rough shod over good hardworking employess.

Just a question...... ummmmmm. do you even have any clue what is, and has been going on with these greedy company owners, or are you just trying to stir the pot?

Because it is his inalenable right as a legal citizen in a free country to fight for what he believes in.

What do you believe in, Ronald?
I believe in God,The United States and the founding documents that make it great,Family,hard work,the Marine Corps,and Labradors.That is a small part of what I believe in.

I believe in God,The United States and the founding documents that make it great,Family,hard work,the Marine Corps,and Labradors.That is a small part of what I believe in.

Wh? wha? what? Labradors? You lost me there, The dog? You believe in your dog? You believe in a semi-popular danish pop band? Hey, I have a dog too, he's a lab, and I love him, but I don't think he has a whole lot to do with my perceptions and I don't "believe in him" in the sense that I do founding documents or the preservation of country. I heard they might release Berkowitz..... David Berkowitz - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

The forefathers of this country and the historical rhetoric we have preserved, indicate to me that they would not only fully support a unionization effort ,they would call the current state of this nation and the globalization effort afoot tyranny, and they would consider anyone opposing protectionism a tyrant or terrorist, yet unions have been on the front lines exposing the multinational corporate world's will to destroy the very fabric of this country and what it represents.

The Vanderpols boys are rich heirs to a family fortune, any society that loses it's respect for honest working people is destine for failure. If you are an honest, hard working person, and if you really believe the Vanderpol's actions are warranted, you have a twisted perception of reality, and you truly are your own worst enemy.

It's all here, welcome to free trade. North America's SuperCorridor Coalition, Inc.