TForce | Any news or new rumours on the contract

What about the contractor issue.? Spent all week on it and no proposal.? Now on recess until 04/15/2013. Sounds like their wore out from all the hard negotiating. They need some rest while we all go back to work on Monday. That is if they call (laid off road driver on call).

What about the contractor issue.? Spent all week on it and no proposal.? Now on recess until 04/15/2013. Sounds like their wore out from all the hard negotiating. They need some rest while we all go back to work on Monday. That is if they call (laid off road driver on call).

They have till July. They can take all the time they want till then. Company loses more accounts and union loses more due payers. Why should they be in a hurry?

And just what would we be accomplishing by striking...........Loosing alot of guys jobs for the most part. If we are the only freight company that goes on strike, what do you think happens to our customers, you know the people that pay us. They start using other carriers that do the same job that we do, but now they are more reliable because they are not on strike. And it's not like the pacage business wher there are only two other competitors, there are at least a dozen other freight companies that will gladly haul our freight with a happy heart and clear conscience. A strike might sound like the right thing to do but you better think long and hard about what the long term effects may be on your job, especially if you are a low man on the board. you better have a good back-up plan for after the strike.

I understand what you are saying but we may have no choice. They even want to cut our retirement. We all have to wait till it's in writing and handed to us to vote on.

Latest on contract negotiations random notes; I listened in on the conference call from Ken Hall updating the stewards from around the country as to what was going on with our contract negotiations. This call took place on March 23rd, 2013 at 13:00hrs eastern.
Some of the following is from that call and some is from the union meeting at local 710 on Sunday 24th, 2013.

Ken Hall stated that he expected the company to low ball us in the beginning but the company far exceeded his expectations.
The company wants us to pay $30.00 single, $60.00 married and $90.00 family per week!!! Or $4,680.00 a year, we currently pay $50 single, $100.00 married and $150.00 family per month, or $1800.00 per year. From what I am understanding this increase is what the non-union UPS employees are paying.

That would be an increase of $2880.00 per year per family plan. Package employees currently pay $0.00.
They want to reduce our multiplier for our pension dramatically, whereby if we were expecting $3000.00 per month for a figure we would now get 2175.00 per month.
They also stated that they do not want to give us raises for the next three years opting instead to give us a bonus for full time employees of $500.00 per year and $250.00 per year for part timers.

This of course would not even begin to offset the cost of increased health insurance.
The company has hit the panic button because under the Obama health care plan health cost are now listed against a company’s bottom line as a liability. So let’s say UPS is a ten Billion dollar company, if under the new health care plan it has now two billion dollars in liability, the company ON PAPER is only worth eight billion dollars. Ups is looking at health care cost jumping up to as high as possibly four billion dollars in 2014 when the Obama health care plan actually kicks in full gear; which would reduce their value on paper to six billion dollars and potentially scare investors away.

Since all companies will have to report this way, investors will adjust; the union sees this as a scare tactic in trying to buffalo its employees into paying the higher premiums.
There is a major argument going on daily as to whether the Obama plan will increase or decrease a major company’s bottom line; UPS and other large companies seem to think it will adversely affect their bottom lines and they are preparing for that eventuality. We are up against the unknown.

UPS is looking at its company value being reduced on paper over this new way of reporting health care cost. So they are trying to shift the majority of the cost to the worker.

Subcontracting is a major issue. The Union has taken the stance that there will be no subcontracting of work until all drivers are working five days a week on a consistent basis. It was bought to light that some terminals out east have subcontractors running lanes of only 113miles each way. Subcontracting has gotten way out of line. What bothers me is it was not made clear by Ken Hall if that meant that our road drivers would actually be doing road work or if dock,city would satisfy his criterion. The Stewards are looking into this for clarification.

There was some discussion on switching one hundred and forty thousand union employees over to the union health care plan. I personally believe this is only a tactic as the undertaking of such a transition would be incredible.

We will not talk about strike as that would chase our shippers away. It was stated by Ken Hall that at a time when UPS is showing record revenue and profits, they choose at this time to come to the negotiating table as if they were loosing money.
In the past FED EX has gone to our shippers and used this to take our customers undermining our ability to negotiate. Please diffuse all talk of strike. At this point in time it serves neither sides interest, but both sides know that as of July31st, 2013 the no strike clause ends. No one should panic or hit the; “I’m depressed button”. These are negotiations; they are tough they are mean and we have time. Also keep in mind that this is not UPS Freight negotiating; but UPS Total, Freight, Package Logistics, everything. We will all be under the same umbrella, different pay scales but the same language on many issues. Package has expressed very clearly to us that they will support us in out endeavors because they will not allow UPS to leverage Freight against Package.
Ken Hall has stated that the union will not retreat on health care, raises, pension reform, or subcontracting; there are more talks scheduled in April 2013, two three day sessions.

UPS is also asking for a seven year contract. A quarter raise in the fifth year after no raises the first three years and only a very modest raise the fourth year.

The Union has made proposals to increase the starting wages of all employees hired. Also Proposals have been made for clearer language and to make it easier for part time employees to become full time.

Issues on work place harassment and electronic harassment have been discussed; Proposals have been made here also.

Ladies and Gentlemen, this is still only the beginning rounds. I was told that UPS is going to start a campaign to encourage us to tell the Union to give into the health care demands.
Please do not buy into this campaign. Remember UPS has had record profit and revenue.
Other notes; the IAM Machinists union for YRC which has about 30 to 31 mechanics shops nation wide may be going on strike March 31st, 2013. by the by, this is the same union that represents out mechanics. We are waiting from word from the IBT as to whether they will honor their strike or not since they have not supported us or honored our strikes in the past.

Jewel Foods contract is ending March 31st, 2013, they could possibly be on strike unless they get an extension; represented by local 710.

Pepsi Cola represented by local 710 might also be going on strike by March 31st, 2013 unless and extension is agreed upon.

ABF contract is at a stalemate. Pat Flynn is flying out tomorrow to take part in the ABF negotiations.

Latest on contract negotiations random notes; I listened in on the conference call from Ken Hall updating the stewards from around the country as to what was going on with our contract negotiations. This call took place on March 23rd, 2013 at 13:00hrs eastern.
Some of the following is from that call and some is from the union meeting at local 710 on Sunday 24th, 2013.

Ken Hall stated that he expected the company to low ball us in the beginning but the company far exceeded his expectations.
The company wants us to pay $30.00 single, $60.00 married and $90.00 family per week!!! Or $4,680.00 a year, we currently pay $50 single, $100.00 married and $150.00 family per month, or $1800.00 per year. From what I am understanding this increase is what the non-union UPS employees are paying.

That would be an increase of $2880.00 per year per family plan. Package employees currently pay $0.00.
They want to reduce our multiplier for our pension dramatically, whereby if we were expecting $3000.00 per month for a figure we would now get 2175.00 per month.
They also stated that they do not want to give us raises for the next three years opting instead to give us a bonus for full time employees of $500.00 per year and $250.00 per year for part timers.

This of course would not even begin to offset the cost of increased health insurance.
The company has hit the panic button because under the Obama health care plan health cost are now listed against a company’s bottom line as a liability. So let’s say UPS is a ten Billion dollar company, if under the new health care plan it has now two billion dollars in liability, the company ON PAPER is only worth eight billion dollars. Ups is looking at health care cost jumping up to as high as possibly four billion dollars in 2014 when the Obama health care plan actually kicks in full gear; which would reduce their value on paper to six billion dollars and potentially scare investors away.

Since all companies will have to report this way, investors will adjust; the union sees this as a scare tactic in trying to buffalo its employees into paying the higher premiums.
There is a major argument going on daily as to whether the Obama plan will increase or decrease a major company’s bottom line; UPS and other large companies seem to think it will adversely affect their bottom lines and they are preparing for that eventuality. We are up against the unknown.

UPS is looking at its company value being reduced on paper over this new way of reporting health care cost. So they are trying to shift the majority of the cost to the worker.

Subcontracting is a major issue. The Union has taken the stance that there will be no subcontracting of work until all drivers are working five days a week on a consistent basis. It was bought to light that some terminals out east have subcontractors running lanes of only 113miles each way. Subcontracting has gotten way out of line. What bothers me is it was not made clear by Ken Hall if that meant that our road drivers would actually be doing road work or if dock,city would satisfy his criterion. The Stewards are looking into this for clarification.

There was some discussion on switching one hundred and forty thousand union employees over to the union health care plan. I personally believe this is only a tactic as the undertaking of such a transition would be incredible.

We will not talk about strike as that would chase our shippers away. It was stated by Ken Hall that at a time when UPS is showing record revenue and profits, they choose at this time to come to the negotiating table as if they were loosing money.
In the past FED EX has gone to our shippers and used this to take our customers undermining our ability to negotiate. Please diffuse all talk of strike. At this point in time it serves neither sides interest, but both sides know that as of July31st, 2013 the no strike clause ends. No one should panic or hit the; “I’m depressed button”. These are negotiations; they are tough they are mean and we have time. Also keep in mind that this is not UPS Freight negotiating; but UPS Total, Freight, Package Logistics, everything. We will all be under the same umbrella, different pay scales but the same language on many issues. Package has expressed very clearly to us that they will support us in out endeavors because they will not allow UPS to leverage Freight against Package.
Ken Hall has stated that the union will not retreat on health care, raises, pension reform, or subcontracting; there are more talks scheduled in April 2013, two three day sessions.

UPS is also asking for a seven year contract. A quarter raise in the fifth year after no raises the first three years and only a very modest raise the fourth year.

The Union has made proposals to increase the starting wages of all employees hired. Also Proposals have been made for clearer language and to make it easier for part time employees to become full time.

Issues on work place harassment and electronic harassment have been discussed; Proposals have been made here also.

Ladies and Gentlemen, this is still only the beginning rounds. I was told that UPS is going to start a campaign to encourage us to tell the Union to give into the health care demands.
Please do not buy into this campaign. Remember UPS has had record profit and revenue.
Other notes; the IAM Machinists union for YRC which has about 30 to 31 mechanics shops nation wide may be going on strike March 31st, 2013. by the by, this is the same union that represents out mechanics. We are waiting from word from the IBT as to whether they will honor their strike or not since they have not supported us or honored our strikes in the past.

Jewel Foods contract is ending March 31st, 2013, they could possibly be on strike unless they get an extension; represented by local 710.

Pepsi Cola represented by local 710 might also be going on strike by March 31st, 2013 unless and extension is agreed upon.

ABF contract is at a stalemate. Pat Flynn is flying out tomorrow to take part in the ABF negotiations.

Very good post...

I will locate it and get back to you. I will not post rumors. If I did I will say it's a rumor. I will locate it and IM you...

Yeah I was sure by your comment you heard something factual. I appreciate you getting back to me. I ask a couple coworkers if they had heard anything and none have.

On the last conference call Ken Hall told us that they wanted to change the percent from 1.75% to 1.5% towards or retirement. If you have the retirement formula then you would change it accordingly. That is what was said and proposed by the company, the union of course said no.

Negotiations resume Monday, April 15. We expect a big push to have an agreement within the next 2-3 weeks.

The union took the past two weeks to review options on health insurance. UPS has offered to move coverage and providers to Teamster administered Health & Welfare Funds. The focus is primarily on UPS Package but it's pretty clear that any resolution will affect UPS Freight as well. The devil is in the details and members will need to review the language and changes closely. TDU will do our best to evaluate any proposal and help make it clear to Teamster members.

Health Insurance is a key aspect of our contract BUT it's not the only issue that needs to be addressed. The emphasis on health insurance may well be a smoke screen and distraction from addressing other areas of the contract. UPS may hope that members breath a sigh of relief when health insurance is addressed to members' benefit and then not focus so much on other necessary improvements.

Ken Hall has stated that most of the non-economic issues have been addressed. He has said that the subcontracting issue has not been resolved. This needs to be addressed in our favor if any contract is to be ratified. We hope that Hall and the negotiating committee will not recommend a contract if subcontracting hasn't been eliminated.

But there are many other issues that are of concern to many members. The key thing to remember is, Teamsters have the vote on the contract and can vote it down if it doesn't meet our needs. There is still May-July to send it back for further negotiations.

We encourage you to talk up the issues with your co-workers. We need to let UPS know that members are well aware of what they need in this next contract. We need the company to have the sense that this contract will be settled by the vote of an informed membership that is ready to assess the proposed agreement and determine whether or not it meets up to our demands.

On the last conference call Ken Hall told us that they wanted to change the percent from 1.75% to 1.5% towards or retirement. If you have the retirement formula then you would change it accordingly. That is what was said and proposed by the company, the union of course said no.

That is the formula Overnite give us. Sure miss Overnite...

Last update union and company making good progress. Maybe the end of next week. Keep your fingers crossed boys and girls...