FedEx Freight | Anybody ever seen this???

Wrong again man you're on a roll,

http://www.greensfelder.com/busines...gps-what-is-legal-and-what-are-best-practices

It's their vehicle and they have a right to track it. Try telling them they can't search it or employees that have lockers the belong to them they can search it. You don't have a right to privacy in some else's property.
We should all know by now that the brick tracks your movements. I think the issue is the audio recording.
Richard was not amused at the prospect of others listening in on our conversations.

We should all know by now that the brick tracks your movements. I think the issue is the audio recording.
Richard was not amused at the prospect of others listening in on our conversations.

Exactly the audio recording would be against the law in all 50 states because it falls under illegal wire tapping.

Exactly the audio recording would be against the law in all 50 states because it falls under illegal wire tapping.
It's not illegal at all. It's their equipment and there's nothing in the law that says an employee is protected from the company while using company equipment.

An illegal wiretap would be if they entered your private home and planted a recording device without your permission. This is not the same thing. There is no invasion of privacy because you don't own the equipment.

I'm not amused by it either but that still doesn't make it illegal, I wondered when the third person stuff would start again.

It's not illegal at all. It's their equipment and there's nothing in the law that says an employee is protected from the company while using company equipment.

An illegal wiretap would be if they entered your private home and planted a recording device without your permission. This is not the same thing. There is no invasion of privacy because you don't own the equipment.

I would disagree if you read the law. Here is part of the link i posted.

such use or endeavor to use (A) takes place on the premises of any business or other commercial establishment the operations of which affect interstate or foreign commerce; or (B) obtains or is for the purpose of obtaining information relating to the operations of any business or other commercial establishment the operations of which affect interstate or foreign commerce; or
(v)
such person acts in the District of Columbia, the Commonwealth of Puerto Rico, or any territory or possession of the United States;
(c)
intentionally discloses, or endeavors to disclose, to any other person the contents of any wire, oral, or electronic communication, knowing or having reason to know that the information was obtained through the interception of a wire, oral, or electronic communication in violation of this subsection;
(d)
intentionally uses, or endeavors to use, the contents of any wire, oral, or electronic communication, knowing or having reason to know that the information was obtained through the interception of a wire, oral, or electronic communication in violation of this subsection; or
(e)
(i) intentionally discloses, or endeavors to disclose, to any other person the contents of any wire, oral, or electronic communication, intercepted by means authorized by sections 2511(2)(a)(ii), 2511(2)(b)–(c), 2511(2)(e), 2516, and 2518 of this chapter, (ii) knowing or having reason to know that the information was obtained through the interception of such a communication in connection with a criminal investigation, (iii) having obtained or received the information in connection with a criminal investigation, and (iv) with intent to improperly obstruct, impede, or interfere with a duly authorized criminal investigation,

Last edited:
I would disagree if you read the law.

That law doesn't apply to company owned property, you don't have an expectation of privacy in a company owned vehicle. I posted a link with legal precedent to show that. Plus the law you sited is referring to third parties that's not what's going on here, Fedex is one of the parties involve, you're link is irrelevant. You can record a phone call without the other party before me knowing but you can't record a phone call between two other people.

I would disagree if you read the law. Here is part of the link i posted.

such use or endeavor to use (A) takes place on the premises of any business or other commercial establishment the operations of which affect interstate or foreign commerce; or (B) obtains or is for the purpose of obtaining information relating to the operations of any business or other commercial establishment the operations of which affect interstate or foreign commerce; or
(v)
such person acts in the District of Columbia, the Commonwealth of Puerto Rico, or any territory or possession of the United States;
(c)
intentionally discloses, or endeavors to disclose, to any other person the contents of any wire, oral, or electronic communication, knowing or having reason to know that the information was obtained through the interception of a wire, oral, or electronic communication in violation of this subsection;
(d)
intentionally uses, or endeavors to use, the contents of any wire, oral, or electronic communication, knowing or having reason to know that the information was obtained through the interception of a wire, oral, or electronic communication in violation of this subsection; or
(e)
(i) intentionally discloses, or endeavors to disclose, to any other person the contents of any wire, oral, or electronic communication, intercepted by means authorized by sections 2511(2)(a)(ii), 2511(2)(b)–(c), 2511(2)(e), 2516, and 2518 of this chapter, (ii) knowing or having reason to know that the information was obtained through the interception of such a communication in connection with a criminal investigation, (iii) having obtained or received the information in connection with a criminal investigation, and (iv) with intent to improperly obstruct, impede, or interfere with a duly authorized criminal investigation,
All that is needed is sign stating audio and or video recording on premises. That is why YRC tractors have a sticker on the window.

BSEdfrC.jpg

After making a quick phone call followed by some research, it turns out that you guys can remove your tinfoil hats!!

The screen in question is part of the pre-loaded software provided by Intermec. The handheld is pre-loaded with voice recognition, push to talk, a front speaker and receiver for handset audio communication, audio recording, and supports Bluetooth...which are all disabled by the company. The screen in question is a recording device that's only activated by the driver and it only records on the device. The driver has complete control and can record, listen, delete, etc.. at any time.

https://www.intermec.com/public-files/product-profiles/en/CN70-CN70e-pp-web.pdf

According to HRO, the company doesn't use this/these feature(s) and they're actually blocked when loaded with our program. I was told that if a driver is able to access or activate this screen or the other options, then the handheld has defaulted to factory settings and it should be turned in to be reprogrammed and updated. When asked why this happens, I was told that it's usually due to the handheld missing an update.

IGqOjYg.jpg

After making a quick phone call followed by some research, it turns out that you guys can remove your tinfoil hats!!

The screen in question is part of the pre-loaded software provided by Intermec. The handheld is pre-loaded with voice recognition, push to talk, a front speaker and receiver for handset audio communication, audio recording, and supports Bluetooth...which are all disabled by the company. The screen in question is a recording device that's only activated by the driver and it only records on the device. The driver has complete control and can record, listen, delete, etc.. at any time.

https://www.intermec.com/public-files/product-profiles/en/CN70-CN70e-pp-web.pdf

According to HRO, the company doesn't use this/these feature(s) and they're actually blocked when loaded with our program. I was told that if a driver is able to access or activate this screen or the other options, then the handheld has defaulted to factory settings and it should be turned in to be reprogrammed and updated. When asked why this happens, I was told that it's usually due to the handheld missing an update.