ODFL | anybody seeing any new trucks

Might be interesting to drive a Cummins I have'nt been terribly impressed with the pulling power in our Cascadias(we had 50mph winds going across I 70 yesterday)anyone driving a Cascadia spent a lot of time in 9th gear,although the high gear ratio in 10th was probably more to blame for that,I've heard that the Cummins ISX is pretty good engine.

the volvos have cummins motors there starting to reach 500000 on most of them and the shop says there starting to have alot of problems out of them i herd a rumor that we might have some more volvos coming with the volvo motor in them

Having 3 or 4 types of engine seems out of character for a company that prides itself on efficiency,thats a lot of money being spent on parts inventory,training techs,etc.

MFS looked like they had some behind the shop. Possibly waiting on plates and getting them ready. I don't know for sure. I just saw them going around the building about 5 days ago.

we have a few new ones in HAR they have the cummins in them. I don't believe any went into service yet. I did however hear rumor of OD getting a few new Macks... only time will tell.

MACKS?!?!Tfate when you repeat a rumor you don't mess around!the only Macks I've seen at OD are about 15 years old I was told they were test tractors to see if they fit OD's needs,apparently they weren't the answer OD was looking for(they did'nt buy any more of them)

MACKS?!?!Tfate when you repeat a rumor you don't mess around!the only Macks I've seen at OD are about 15 years old I was told they were test tractors to see if they fit OD's needs,apparently they weren't the answer OD was looking for(they did'nt buy any more of them)

I can only say I heard the rumor from two different people that have no relationship between them so who knows.. Heres one for you though, I was in salt lake a month or two ago and had seen an older peterbuilt daycab it was white with the full od logos and company info, pulling an OD van around the yard.. I really don't think it was a independant or anything. maybe someone else can enlighten us more.

OD bought a company a few years back that had some of those,I can't remember the name but let me ask around.

It's a ex-Bullocks unit it was based in DEN for awhile it seems to float around the mountain west now,I've seen it doing the DEN-WAK turn occasionally in the past,also in Hanks truck pictures.There's still some oddball tractors in our fleet,based at my barn we probably have the only International line tractor east of SLC its also plain white.

The new trucks we got have cummins and detroits.:shift:
The Three Cascadias that just arrived at our place have Cummins engines,which is kind of surprising I'd heard that you had to pay a premium to install anything but a Mercedes/Detroit engine in a Freightliner,although with OD's buying power that any additional fee's would be forgotten.

I do not why we are getting more new units but we just got in 16 more daycabs and 2 new sleepers Wed. 22, 2010 at Atl.
Better to have too many tractors than not enough,and as we've learned in the past just because a tractor is on the lot right now does'nt mean they'll be there tomorrow,they'll be sent where(hopefully)needed most.

Its just a guess but in my opinion O.D. is probably playing around with new engine combinations to see what will work best for the company. At this time there is a class action lawsuit against Caterpillar over 2007 C-13 and C-15 engines. Some companies are trying to recover their loses on these engines due to constant breakdowns etc... and i agree i've had nothing but trouble with these engines myself. Last i heard no one is being allowed to drive a 2011 tractor untill they have been trained in regards to the D.E.F. (diesel exhaust fluid).

Its just a guess but in my opinion O.D. is probably playing around with new engine combinations to see what will work best for the company. At this time there is a class action lawsuit against Caterpillar over 2007 C-13 and C-15 engines. Some companies are trying to recover their loses on these engines due to constant breakdowns etc... and i agree i've had nothing but trouble with these engines myself. Last i heard no one is being allowed to drive a 2011 tractor untill they have been trained in regards to the D.E.F. (diesel exhaust fluid).
I'm not sure how much special training one would need with D.E.F.,other than just knowing how to check level,when to add it ,and where the filler is,just like checking and adding any other fluid,we have three of the new tractors and as far as I know we have'nt recieved any of the fluid then again,none of the tractors are permitted or tagged yet,but they do look nice sitting in the tractor park.

I'm not sure how much special training one would need with D.E.F.,other than just knowing how to check level,when to add it ,and where the filler is,just like checking and adding any other fluid,we have three of the new tractors and as far as I know we have'nt recieved any of the fluid then again,none of the tractors are permitted or tagged yet,but they do look nice sitting in the tractor park.

there is a gauge for the exhaust fluid just like a fuel gauge. has warning lights/alarms when getting low. according to information relating to the cummins motors. if the truck gets 6 mpg or better the exhaust fluid will last 1 gallon per 300 miles at 6 mpg or better. and I believe the tank is around 12 or 13 gallons I may be slightly off. someone else can figure out all the math. oh and I quote from the paper I read "If exhaust fluid is allowed to run empty truck will still run but at a reduced capacity as to encourage driver to refill tank" (note: that means it's gonna run like crap).

and no I have no formal training. I just read some paper that was floating around dispatch one day. :)

so there ya go now your trained lol

Just like how we have been signing a safety meeting sheet for the last year or better... and well we never have a meeting. lol I guess we just attend the safety sheet signing dispatch event.