FedEx Freight | Attendance Policy

I run a relay run out of Russellville, AR during the daytime to meet KNX drivers and return to Russellville usually in the evening. I was sick for most of February due to a urinary tract infection and an upper respiratory infection. My Dr thought I was trying to pass another Kidney Stone. I was at our meet point over in Tennessee when I called my boss about being off the next day to go to the doctor as I was in pain and he kept saying that someone else was already off. That Friday I got up and didn't feel real great so I made my run. By 4 that afternoon I was in severe pain 313 miles from completing my trip. I drove most of the way back bent over the steering wheel praying I didn't pass out from the pain. When I finally made it back I spent 4 hours in the Emergency room finding out that I most likely had an infection of some kind. I was missed two days of the next week but my boss told me not to worry about it due to the point rule. I haven't ever tried to figure out how the point rule worked as I have always needed to work. I burned my last PTO day trying to get a CT scan done and before I knew it my boss is telling me I have 4 unexcused absences and their better not be a 5th. How did that happen. Seems I took a day in January to go to the dentist but didn't have enough PTO time and I told him just use a vacation day. I didn't know at the time that it did not negate the unexcused day. So I burned a vacation day for nothing. My boss never tells us anything about changes we just have to find out for ourselves when we get dunned for something that we thought was the right way to do it. It used to be at the discretion of the center manager if you had to burn PTO days or use vacation days. Got screwed and didn't even realize it.
You might want to look into getting FMLA to cover dr's appointments

I run a relay run out of Russellville, AR during the daytime to meet KNX drivers and return to Russellville usually in the evening. I was sick for most of February due to a urinary tract infection and an upper respiratory infection. My Dr thought I was trying to pass another Kidney Stone. I was at our meet point over in Tennessee when I called my boss about being off the next day to go to the doctor as I was in pain and he kept saying that someone else was already off. That Friday I got up and didn't feel real great so I made my run. By 4 that afternoon I was in severe pain 313 miles from completing my trip. I drove most of the way back bent over the steering wheel praying I didn't pass out from the pain. When I finally made it back I spent 4 hours in the Emergency room finding out that I most likely had an infection of some kind. I was missed two days of the next week but my boss told me not to worry about it due to the point rule. I haven't ever tried to figure out how the point rule worked as I have always needed to work. I burned my last PTO day trying to get a CT scan done and before I knew it my boss is telling me I have 4 unexcused absences and their better not be a 5th. How did that happen. Seems I took a day in January to go to the dentist but didn't have enough PTO time and I told him just use a vacation day. I didn't know at the time that it did not negate the unexcused day. So I burned a vacation day for nothing. My boss never tells us anything about changes we just have to find out for ourselves when we get dunned for something that we thought was the right way to do it. It used to be at the discretion of the center manager if you had to burn PTO days or use vacation days. Got screwed and didn't even realize it.
I agree with @riolake, someone should’ve advised you to sign up for FMLA or file for short term to cover your extended time off (5 consecutive days), that way you wouldn’t have acurred any points

I agree with @riolake, someone should’ve advised you to sign up for FMLA or file for short term to cover your extended time off (5 consecutive days), that way you wouldn’t have acurred any points
You have to jump through hoops to get FMLA, my wife had a brain bleed last year, after I got her back home, filed for FLMA and had to go back to Dr 3 times to get paper work right. Don't think you can use it just for Dr appointments, but I could be wrong.

You have to jump through hoops to get FMLA, my wife had a brain bleed last year, after I got her back home, filed for FLMA and had to go back to Dr 3 times to get paper work right. Don't think you can use it just for Dr appointments, but I could be wrong.
You can use it for FMLA DR. Appointments