XPO | Attn: Drivers. A question for you and maybe some answers.

Correct me if i'm wrong but the match was half of your contribution up to 6%. Which means you got at most a 3% match. You would rather have to contribute 6% of your pay for 3% of theirs instead of just getting the same 3%? If I am remembering the amount please let me know what it was.

It's not the same 3%. Right now the 3% is deposited once a quarter, correct? The match was deposited every week, so that money drew more interest for us, instead of staying in the coffers of the company.

I am Sorry White Shirt he is Dead on Correct here they did Promise to give it Back ! I will Also state this the original match was done Weekly then they gave us the Quarterly match when they took the Pension ! When the Recession hit they took the originally weekly match back ! Reason like another person Stated so they can sit on the interest and make
Money of the interest ! So again yes we were Screwed out of our Pension and even a Decent 401 k Most Company's do a Weekly Match not a Quarterly ! v if they have a Quarterly its in addition to !

Correct me if i'm wrong but the match was half of your contribution up to 6%. Which means you got at most a 3% match. You would rather have to contribute 6% of your pay for 3% of theirs instead of just getting the same 3%? If I am remembering the amount please let me know what it was.[/QUOTE

The idea of the 401k was that the .50 on the dollar match up to 3% would be moved to a match of 6% and we would gain the general 3% quarterly contribution was in leiu of the pension. That was a super good deal;-)

We were also told that the match would be reinstated after we made 2 consecutive quarters with an o/r of (I believe) 95 or better.

Lean is designed to be a manufacturing program just as SIX Sigma was. For CON-WAY to invest the resources that they've invested in LEAN is ludicrous. They have very few avenues to recoup their investment. Unfortunately I believe MGNT is more interested in looking like there doing things, then actually doing anything.

lean is not just a manufacturing program. Lean comes from World War II and originated as a document titled Training Within Industry. Lean is standard process and problem solving. Fifty guys have fifty opinions that they are doing their job correctly, so how, as their boss do you decide who is right and who is wrong? How do you decide a process is inefficient if it is done fifty different ways? Lean within LTL does not have an owners manual... we are writing it.

Before they froze the pension, we were getting a pension plus a 50% match on the first 6% of our 401(k) contributions. When they stopped the pension, they replaced it with a 3% contribution to the 401(k), so we were getting the 3% plus the match. When the recession hit and we had to "be our own bank" (because we spent the $500M we had and borrowed $250M more to buy CFI), they stopped both the 3% and the match. Eventually, they resumed the 3% contribution, but not the match.

A lot of people do not like LEAN !! lets be Honest it has it's good Points and it does and will save the Company Money.
But like everything Con~way Does they go to the Far Extreme with it and they end up stomping on the toes of the very people whom are doing their jobs.
Correctly each and every day when they have perfectly good systems in place to catch the Slackers why they are not using these systems is beyond me.
we talk about Dwell times getting off the yard Quicker great love it go after the guys not doing it leave the Men and Women alone that are !
No need to hold my hand every step of my day if your going to do that you might as well just do all of my job !
IT seems we have a witch hunt going on each and everyday we have some new little rule or procedure we must comply with to make management happy !
IT honestly feels like their is no trust in any decision a driver makes anymore if I am going to be questioned for every action I take to do my job Correctly why do I even have a job <>??? ?
You have a Camera Watching me all day long you have a CSA re-measuring my freight in the evening like I am not capable of doing my job Correctly I have to ask Permission to use the rest room now > REALLY ? I feel like I am in Kindergarten all over again ! I am sure in these few short sentences I explained how the Majority of us feel today ! Moving freight should not be this hard. Doing a job should not be this aggravating.
I should not have to constantly feel like Big Brothers breathing down my neck what you doing now George >>> ???

All this Damn Coaching ? Really coaching me on a tape measure when your own CSA is not doing their job right !
I measured the freight the way it was tended to me CSA puts on skid shrink wraps it remeasures it and says I am Wrong >?
Sorry I do not like my time being Wasted on Dumb **** I do My Job I find IT very Insulting that I am Questioned like this !
Same with the Camera if I have not hit nothing then I see no need in Coaching me I have well over 9 years save Driving I think by now
I have Earned just a little Respect not asking for much here !
Being safe is one thing and I appreciate we want to be saver but harping on us everyday is not going to help it !

You may end up with the opposite affects and have your drivers so damn paranoid that Big Brother is after him that he really does have a Major Screw up !!

CAC, not CSA. Do your measuring right the first time and hold them accountable to do the same. If they get it wrong go after them to improve.

Witch hunts, slackers, holding your hand... creating a standard process to address dwell time establishes standards for supervisors and drivers. Previously the guy that didn't even open the hood, look into the valley of his 5th wheel, or kick a tire could be praised for being the first out the gate. That changes soon. Many times it has been written that some of the best coaches in sports never played the game. But they understood the game and their players. Standard pre and post trips are coming which will include the supervisors learning how to do them. As I typed above, make the effort to do a good pre-trip to process and hold the supervisor accountable to know and understand the same process.

How do you find the slackers? Everyone can have an opinion if something is too long or too short. But it stays just opinions until everyone uses the same measuring stick to make the evaluation. Until the tools of Lean were initiated processes would be built on expectations not actions. EOBRs and cameras are a good example of tools that reinforce the efforts of those who try to do it right and help identify those who could get by doing it their way by staying under the radar.

Today's society tends to be lacking in the "personally accountable" bucket. Often we just need to pause and ask ourselves, is it wrong or just different? Too many people will tell you tomorrow won't succeed based on yesterday, ignoring the efforts of today.

"EOBRs and cameras are a good example of tools that reinforce the efforts of those who try to do it right and help identify those who could get by doing it their way by staying under the radar."

Really? Seems to be different strokes for different folks. Dsr dropped a trailer on camera, never reported it. " it's ok, we are still in the probationary stage". Whatever. The next guy gets written up for following to close.

Same crap. No consistency, and favouritism. Nothing's going to change.

lean is not just a manufacturing program. Lean comes from World War II and originated as a document titled Training Within Industry. Lean is standard process and problem solving. Fifty guys have fifty opinions that they are doing their job correctly, so how, as their boss do you decide who is right and who is wrong? How do you decide a process is inefficient if it is done fifty different ways? Lean within LTL does not have an owners manual... we are writing it.

Owner manual= SWI is this what your trying to say? Do we really need circle painted around the trash cans? The tool area was a great idea and some things are very helpful but there are more waste than good. This is one option, we all have our own.

"EOBRs and cameras are a good example of tools that reinforce the efforts of those who try to do it right and help identify those who could get by doing it their way by staying under the radar."

Really? Seems to be different strokes for different folks. Dsr dropped a trailer on camera, never reported it. " it's ok, we are still in the probationary stage". Whatever. The next guy gets written up for following to close.

Same crap. No consistency, and favouritism. Nothing's going to change.

following too close as a drivecam event is a face-2-face coaching event, no write up. Unless you see no need to improve and become a repeat offender

CAC, not CSA. Do your measuring right the first time and hold them accountable to do the same. If they get it wrong go after them to improve.

Witch hunts, slackers, holding your hand... creating a standard process to address dwell time establishes standards for supervisors and drivers. Previously the guy that didn't even open the hood, look into the valley of his 5th wheel, or kick a tire could be praised for being the first out the gate. That changes soon. Many times it has been written that some of the best coaches in sports never played the game. But they understood the game and their players. Standard pre and post trips are coming which will include the supervisors learning how to do them. As I typed above, make the effort to do a good pre-trip to process and hold the supervisor accountable to know and understand the same process.

How do you find the slackers? Everyone can have an opinion if something is too long or too short. But it stays just opinions until everyone uses the same measuring stick to make the evaluation. Until the tools of Lean were initiated processes would be built on expectations not actions. EOBRs and cameras are a good example of tools that reinforce the efforts of those who try to do it right and help identify those who could get by doing it their way by staying under the radar.

Today's society tends to be lacking in the "personally accountable" bucket. Often we just need to pause and ask ourselves, is it wrong or just different? Too many people will tell you tomorrow won't succeed based on yesterday, ignoring the efforts of today.
To do all this stuff properly..the way they want; we need another raise..if we're held to the highest standard..then we should get more pay..that's really what needs to happen

Before they froze the pension, we were getting a pension plus a 50% match on the first 6% of our 401(k) contributions. When they stopped the pension, they replaced it with a 3% contribution to the 401(k), so we were getting the 3% plus the match. When the recession hit and we had to "be our own bank" (because we spent the $500M we had and borrowed $250M more to buy CFI), they stopped both the 3% and the match. Eventually, they resumed the 3% contribution, but not the match.
Your dead on with your facts..except, the 3% never stopped..the "transition" stopped but not the 3%. You can check your past statements and you'll see..but your dead on on the rest of it.

The problem is all these college boys coming into management thinking they know it all and they are going to change the world. Con-Way wants a person to have a 4 year degree to become an FOS. WHY? There is absolutely nothing about that job that requires a degree. I'd do it, but they don't pay nearly enough for me or any other drivers to even consider it. Something tells me that's not an accident either.

This place was great back when the managers were former drivers and actually knew what they were talking about. Now it's all about paperwork and LOI's and justifying your job to the higher ups. Everything has been so dumbed down that I lose several IQ points just walking into work each night. Do we really need SWI's for everything under the sun? Most of this crap is common sense. Do we need signs telling up where the dock hooks and the dock ladders are every 10 feet? Hell, at my terminal there are at least five NO EXIT signs in the drivers room plastered over the doors. They even have one over the janitors closet. REALLY? Thank GOD they put that there, because in the event of a fire, the CLOSET is the first place I'd run trying to escape...

Another example: One of our drivers got wrote up by an FOS the other night when two forklifts collided on the dock. Was anyone hurt? no. Were the forklifts damaged at all? no. Quit trying to give everyone an LOI for every stupid reason in the world and just let us move the freight. It's no wonder morale around here is at an all time low. Just leave us the hell alone and let us do our jobs without having to worry about what BS excuse you're going to find to discipline us about next.

And to the management: I don't care whether or not you like it, but the fact is: if you keep this crap up, you WILL lose all your good employees. That is not an opinion, it is a fact. It's already happening at my barn.

following too close as a drivecam event is a face-2-face coaching event, no write up. Unless you see no need to improve and become a repeat offender

Different strokes for different folks. Not a hypothetical situation, really happened.

Very well said Could not have said it better myself ! they just don't get it unfortunately they will one day but by then it will be too late cause the Rookies will be doing it and they think things are Screwed up now wait till they have no experience behind it !

The problem is all these college boys coming into management thinking they know it all and they are going to change the world. Con-Way wants a person to have a 4 year degree to become an FOS. WHY? There is absolutely nothing about that job that requires a degree. I'd do it, but they don't pay nearly enough for me or any other drivers to even consider it. Something tells me that's not an accident either.

This place was great back when the managers were former drivers and actually knew what they were talking about. Now it's all about paperwork and LOI's and justifying your job to the higher ups. Everything has been so dumbed down that I lose several IQ points just walking into work each night. Do we really need SWI's for everything under the sun? Most of this crap is common sense. Do we need signs telling up where the dock hooks and the dock ladders are every 10 feet? Hell, at my terminal there are at least five NO EXIT signs in the drivers room plastered over the doors. They even have one over the janitors closet. REALLY? Thank GOD they put that there, because in the event of a fire, the CLOSET is the first place I'd run trying to escape...

Another example: One of our drivers got wrote up by an FOS the other night when two forklifts collided on the dock. Was anyone hurt? no. Were the forklifts damaged at all? no. Quit trying to give everyone an LOI for every stupid reason in the world and just let us move the freight. It's no wonder morale around here is at an all time low. Just leave us the hell alone and let us do our jobs without having to worry about what BS excuse you're going to find to discipline us about next.

And to the management: I don't care whether or not you like it, but the fact is: if you keep this crap up, you WILL lose all your good employees. That is not an opinion, it is a fact. It's already happening at my barn.

Very well said Could not have said it better myself ! they just don't get it unfortunately they will one day but by then it will be too late cause the Rookies will be doing it and they think things are Screwed up now wait till they have no experience behind it !

They will love it because all the drivers at top pay will be gone and their payroll will be low as can be. Unfortunately that also means they will be just another mediocre freight company with a revolving door in the personnel department...

Your dead on with your facts..except, the 3% never stopped..the "transition" stopped but not the 3%. You can check your past statements and you'll see..but your dead on on the rest of it.
The match stopped too, and hasn't been returned.

To do all this stuff properly..the way they want; we need another raise..if we're held to the highest standard..then we should get more pay..that's really what needs to happen

huh, I don't get it. You get paid for every minute you work whether you are pushing a broom, loading freight, doing a pre-trip, or driving. I've seen guys cleaning toilets for minimum wage care more about their job performance than some I call co-workers.

You can give some fifty dollars an hour to do our job and they would still find someone else to blame for their poor attitude and performance.

Wow, I agree. Did I just say that? More BS= more$$$$$

huh, I don't get it. You get paid for every minute you work whether you are pushing a broom, loading freight, doing a pre-trip, or driving. I've seen guys cleaning toilets for minimum wage care more about their job performance than some I call co-workers.

You can give some fifty dollars an hour to do our job and they would still find someone else to blame for their poor attitude and performance.

You have obviously never run linehaul before.

I sat around for 3 HOURS on Thursday night waiting for my loads. Pretty sure I'm not getting paid for that! But you can bet your ass if I was 15 minutes late and my loads were ready, I would have got an ass-chewing for it.

If you want the best of the best, do you achieve that by paying people less while putting more and more responsibility with restraint on them?
Other freight lines aren't going through what I see myself experiencing.