Central Transport | Bunch of sales and operations folks quit today

Popswasnatlman

TB Lurker
Credits
got back to barn today, heard two sales reps here quit and that 6 or 7 other managers and reps quit across the network. senior folks from what I heard. What are you hearing out there brothers ?

got back to barn today, heard two sales reps here quit and that 6 or 7 other managers and reps quit across the network. senior folks from what I heard. What are you hearing out there brothers ?

in my barn we had the top sales man leave back in Dec and go to of all places central transport, he had 13 plus years here , really makes you wonder what do they know that us slaves don't.

In GRR TM and the sales staff quit along with 1 driver

Not good if manager and all reps quit. From what I hear, certain the manager and reps came from Preston and had been at PJAX/VITRAN for 12 years. Not gonna be good for us, they had a good following and were stong folk. Appears the FDX folks are running off talent they should not be running off. Did anyone hear where these folks have migrated too ?

they got the inside track on what's going down and stayed long enough to cash in their vacation time for 2013. lmfao. chase that vitran.

The loss of that many account managers and managers is not a good thing. This will only send up more red flags within the shipping community where customers have already become concerned with the overall service product, CSA scores, etc... Generally in this industry, once a few start to leave, more will follow their "buddies" or people they feel comfortable working with to other carriers. This is no different than all of the former FXF folks that followed CK over to Vitran in 2012. In my opinion, a long tenured Vitran/PJAX account manager, must be good at their trade, because of all of the obstacles they have had to overcome after the Vitran/PJAX merger.

I am not really sure what you are asking. But, this is my take on what is happening. The account managers that left yesterday, must have had enough. They were growing increasingly unable to convince their customers to use Vitran and therefore they decided to go to companies they could sell for with confidence. Think about it, Vitran, has to be a tough sell. We all pull trailers that read "Vitran", "Pjax", "Milan", and, I am sure somewhere, "Quast". The trailers tend to be non-water resistant, not only on the top, but the bottom, as well. Not to mention, any time there is any weather related issue, it takes us weeks, if not, months, to recover. This is not a reflection of CK, its a fact, and has been a problem for a long time. I think I posted some time ago that the issues with Vitran go back to Gaetz's lack of vision and reluctance to re-invest money into the truck line during "profitable" years. We are all paying for it now.

We had another P&D drvr quit last week. So far, no mgmt. has left. Cannot get any info from T.M. about financial stability or P&L statements. Maybe Corp. isnt telling him anything. All he said was they (the company) "are losing their butt." When asked about Vitran putting up real estate for 17 mill loan, he said " a lot of companies do that " Really? W.T.F.? Still no long term investing that I see. (locally) Money is only spent on the right here/right now, have to get it fixed today basis. No doors or dock plates, forklifts, service center improvements. A new center was purchased in Charlotte I think. And last year they spent 1.7 mil on a 1973 terminal in Memphis. Who is at the controls of the pursestrings?

Good luck

The facts are, 2 regional managers, GRR TM, 2 sales people from GRR, a sales person from BAL with 15 years at Vitran, 2 sales people from IND and ones ops supv have all left for Central Transport....Right now. More will be leaving soon. They are simply sick on the BS upper mgt is feeding them and don't see Vitran going anywhere but down. Central may not be the "ODFL" of the world but they have a way of being financially stable and treat employees with respect. The owner is a billionaire who loves his trucking. Central will be around long after these other carriers.
So there is the facts. I know cause I was in MGT with Vitran for years and have also recently left. CK is trying to run a FedEx operation with 1/4 of the terminals and lets be honest, he expects the same out of $16/hr guys that FedEx pays $22/hr?
Get real....this is 2013.

Cheers

LTL2013 is correct in so many ways. Central Transport has been around and will be around for a long time. What is most concerning is that Vitran is losing good front line account managers and managers. FXF like in the NFL, they have the "next man up" approach. In other words, they have a very deep bench. They can afford to lose executives, regional managers, and the big machine will keep running, which is quite obvious. However, I believe the terminals that LTL2013 mentioned which lost account managers to CT will feel it in the near future. And if there is a "round two" that is certainly not a good scenario. During the 2012 Q2 conference call Gaetz made reference to how Vitran was "upgrading" operations talent in the field. Appears to me that long time, tenured PJAX/Vitran field talent, is making an upgrade of their own.

Ummmm no sir. GRR is the most profitable terminal in the east region.
They do roughly 900 bills a day. Was the best ran terminal Vitran had.
With over 70 doors. Your not thinking of the right facility. Anything but a satellite
Not the biggest, but well ran and profitable.

Last edited by a moderator:
GGR is more like a satelite term. It is very small. I think it has maybe 30 doors. And to lose that many people, is saying alot

You could not be more wrong $outh$ide$$tress. GRR is one of the largest terminals in the entire Vitran network, certainly one of the top 10 bill count producing terminals. GRR does around 400 bills outbound per day and 300 bills inbound per day. GRR is bigger than Dallas, Nashville, Los Angeles, Baltimore, Hagerstown, Harrisburg and most other huge cities in the Vitran network. GRR is anything but a satellite terminal, maybe an end of the line terminal but it ain't no satellite. It is rather pathetic that GRR does more bill count than most other massive cities in the Vitran network but you had three superstars in GRR where as in Dallas, Los Angeles and Nashville you have noboby's or a bunch of jagoffs that don't work and are not held accountable. The superstar sales people that have left were much better able to keep the bucks on the trucks but even they get sick and tired of being sick and tired.

Ummmm no sir. GRR is the most profitable terminal in the east region.
They do roughly 900 bills a day. Was the best ran terminal Vitran had.
With over 70 doors. Your not thinking of the right facility. Anything but a satellite
Not the biggest, but well ran and profitable.

900 bills per day, no way. But 700 per day , absolutely. Still how on God's green earth does a GRR do 700 bills per day and beat massive cities like Los Angeles, Dallas, Houston, Nashville, etc. I will agree with LTLguy2013, GRR probably had the strongest manager in the Vitran network and certainly 2 excellent top producing sales reps. Now they are all gone.

Well, before Vitran changed presidents and business went from 16,000 bills a day to a **** poor
12,000 that they are at now, GRR was doing 900. Times have slowed, sure. But they are a major contender.
Mark my words, they will be down 200+ bills by end of 1st qtr.