Estes | Cameras coming!

nctruckin

TB Lurker
Credits
Left out of Greensboro, this morning.....I got a new truck a few weeks back. I have the 'REC OEC' button on my peoplenet...I have set it off about twice....well...not me, more or less someone cutting me off and truck 'stopping' with the 'guard system'. But there is a 'peoplenet camera training' sheet up(two different ones!) in dispatch in Greensboro. IF you look on the door into dispatch....there are drivers mentioned.....if you look IN dispatch, waiting area, there is a different set of names. Mr. T(I'll say T because he's a nice guy and all us G'boro drivers know who I'm talking about!) is on the one on the inside...so asking him what that was about, he said.....'Well, Brother, the camera is gonna be on you. Scary, isn't it?" NOW, he did say it'll 'EVENTUALLY' be in all trucks. if I'm gonna be 'micro-managed', as much as I LOVE IT HERE...I'm starting to freak out. He did say, it'll only record, if a 'critical event happens'....but in-between that....what do they want to see....me eating, singing, drinking(and no, not alcohol, duh), talking on my BLU TOOTH? Is this why we are hiring so much now? Someone care to tell me Mr. T is wrong?

You stated this was peoplenet, the tablets have a camera in them also that points at the driver, our company (Fedex) said they wouldn't be used, but they could be turned on without you knowing about it. To be fair to fedex they told us if we were worried about it we could cover the lense up and most of the drivers at our barn has.

You stated this was peoplenet, the tablets have a camera in them also that points at the driver, our company (Fedex) said they wouldn't be used, but they could be turned on without you knowing about it. To be fair to fedex they told us if we were worried about it we could cover the lense up and most of the drivers at our barn has.
Actually it is a light sensor on the tablet. I thought it was a camera as well so I went and looked at the specs for the tablets and a camera isn't listed as an option, but the light sensor is standard

Safety says outward-facing cameras only.

We're all on camera just about everywhere we go anyway. Dash cams everywhere, everyone has a camera in their phone, cameras at intersections...

Actually it is a light sensor on the tablet. I thought it was a camera as well so I went and looked at the specs for the tablets and a camera isn't listed as an option, but the light sensor is standard
They told us it was a camera, "You can't buy a tablet or computer today without a camera." Was the direct quote we got when they gave the power point presentation. Not trying to argue, just telling you what we were told.

They told us it was a camera, "You can't buy a tablet or computer today without a camera." Was the direct quote we got when they gave the power point presentation. Not trying to argue, just telling you what we were told.

The only camera mentioned is on the backside with a flash. Just a light sensor on the front......assuming I am reading this correctly. No arguing, just a conversation.
https://www.peoplenetonline.com/wp-...Net-Sell-Sheet-ConnectedTablet.compressed.pdf

This is correct. The new peoplenet units are removable tablets and have a camera for photographing damaged freight, pre-trip items, etc... The old ones don't have one at all.

Even if Estes were to install driver facing cameras and decide to not tell anyone, how long do you think it would take before the cat was out of the bag? For now, it's outward-facing only. It'll be obvious if that ever changes.

This is correct. The new peoplenet units are removable tablets and have a camera for photographing damaged freight, pre-trip items, etc... The old ones don't have one at all.

Even if Estes were to install driver facing cameras and decide to not tell anyone, how long do you think it would take before the cat was out of the bag? For now, it's outward-facing only. It'll be obvious if that ever changes.

I'm all for outward facing cameras. I know the blue2's are the old ones, then we got the p4. Are those the removal ones? Or something newer?

from what Bill Turner told me...yes! For me, long story short, I lost my job today....good luck to all! I loved it here....but it is, what it is!
Damn Driver hate to hear that! May I ask what happened? I believe you stated once before that you hadn't been here that long.

Damn Driver hate to hear that! May I ask what happened? I believe you stated once before that you hadn't been here that long.
well...long story....but I'm moving on to pulling tankers! Found a really great company to get into tank yanker, so to speak. I really liked LTL....but I'll admit the one thing that was kinda getting to me was being 'on call' for 24 hours on the day you're suppose to leave. I'm glad there's nothing messed up on my record or anything so the company that is talking to me is REALLY into my clean record! So, yanking away I go! And yes, I was there right over 4 months...NOW I have to re-transfer 401(k) AND get insurance for wife and kids all over again.....this messed up my resume a little...which stinks the worst.....but, I know there are drivers that switch companies like switching off a light....that's not cool if ya got a wife and 2 little ones depending on your paycheck/insurance! Hope everyone is doing good!

well...long story....but I'm moving on to pulling tankers! Found a really great company to get into tank yanker, so to speak. I really liked LTL....but I'll admit the one thing that was kinda getting to me was being 'on call' for 24 hours on the day you're suppose to leave. I'm glad there's nothing messed up on my record or anything so the company that is talking to me is REALLY into my clean record! So, yanking away I go! And yes, I was there right over 4 months...NOW I have to re-transfer 401(k) AND get insurance for wife and kids all over again.....this messed up my resume a little...which stinks the worst.....but, I know there are drivers that switch companies like switching off a light....that's not cool if ya got a wife and 2 little ones depending on your paycheck/insurance! Hope everyone is doing good!
You doing gas?

You doing gas?
lol NO! Superior Carriers called me. They are a really good company from what I've looked into...the pay is really nice....only took a day and a half before they came calling me. My MVR and Criminal are squeaky clean so...no worries. Something different and ALOT more challenging from what it seems. But gonna try this for a few or more years. Maybe in 5 years or so(who knows ALOT of guys seem to really love it there) I might go back to LTL more than likely OD since I have a good friend that works there and knows ALOT of people 'up' in the company.