Career Ending Operation???

Degenerative Scoliosis..........??

hey you know what...??

i do seem to remember the doctor saying something about my bones being "worn off" at the facets.., and he would have to work a bit more for the surgery.

so i looked up the degenerative scoliosis, and i can "see' on the pics and video on the website, being so darned close to my x-ray pics...

of course, the doctor would need to tell me this to confirm, as he would know more. but looking at what you mentioned, and what i see now, i can be safe in thinking, it is indeed that condition.

the x-rays i had taken back in August, which are the ones i posted here a day ago, are the first ones ever that i had seen, after the operation. the x-rays i had seen along with the MRI, prior to the operation, i did not see the curved spine.

i did see my MRI, but i was unable to "see" and bulging disk on the CD, as compared to the "film" i had from my very first operation, back in early 2001. in that film, the bulge showed up so easily, i spotted it right away.

thanks for at least mentioning that condition, so that i was able to look into it deeper...!!!

i never would have even guessed that...

but i did also this morning, drop off 2 pics (front/side) view of that to my lawyer with a letter, for his updates on my condition, for future use when and if needed.

Degenerative Scoliosis..........??

hey you know what...??

i do seem to remember the doctor saying something about my bones being "worn off" at the facets.., and he would have to work a bit more for the surgery.

so i looked up the degenerative scoliosis, and i can "see' on the pics and video on the website, being so darned close to my x-ray pics...

of course, the doctor would need to tell me this to confirm, as he would know more. but looking at what you mentioned, and what i see now, i can be safe in thinking, it is indeed that condition.

the x-rays i had taken back in August, which are the ones i posted here a day ago, are the first ones ever that i had seen, after the operation. the x-rays i had seen along with the MRI, prior to the operation, i did not see the curved spine.

i did see my MRI, but i was unable to "see" and bulging disk on the CD, as compared to the "film" i had from my very first operation, back in early 2001. in that film, the bulge showed up so easily, i spotted it right away.

thanks for at least mentioning that condition, so that i was able to look into it deeper...!!!

i never would have even guessed that...

but i did also this morning, drop off 2 pics (front/side) view of that to my lawyer with a letter, for his updates on my condition, for future use when and if needed.

Disclaimer:
I'm not a doctor but I play one on Truckingboards....LOL Dr. Dockworker.
Seriously, it's going to take a professional doctors opinion, maybe two to come to that conclusion. We both know that if we all self diagnosed ourselves we would all be terminally ill and on death beds.
Keep us updated on the condition and what the doc thinks of the xrays.

Disclaimer:
I'm not a doctor but I play one on Truckingboards....LOL Dr. Dockworker.
Seriously, it's going to take a professional doctors opinion, maybe two to come to that conclusion. We both know that if we all self diagnosed ourselves we would all be terminally ill and on death beds.
Keep us updated on the condition and what the doc thinks of the xrays.

just like some people play "truck driver".....

yeah, i'd have been giving birth several times if i didn't stop self diagnostics.

i know, but sometimes, opinions are valid, especially if someone had or has had or knows of someone that has or has had any conditions....

too many has's and had's.......huh...???:wtflol:

Moved doctor appointment

so, this morning around 10 AM, i get a phone call from the surgeons office.

i HAD an appointment with the surgeon on this upcoming Wednesday, the 26th, (day before T-Day).

but now that has been cancelled by the doctor.

one of at the very least of 2 reasons i can conjure up..

1) he got the report form the x-ray place informing him of no measurable bone growth...

or

2) he has other plans, and needs to leave town for the holiday..but why was this date made in the first place..????

now..the new appointment date is...

December 23rd.......in the morning.

hard to say, but i am going for reason # 1............i may have the cd of the x-ray, but he most certainly must have the written report.

Some countries have FREE MEDICAL CARE like in N.Z.
Ray had such a wonderful time after his knee surgery.

Medical Treatment in this country seems to say, for example, if one is under $250,000 income per year: "Oh, you're a truck driver, you do not possess the correct insurance policy, let's see how we can help cripple you, step this way and thank you for choosing Eagle Kaliediscopic Group (where we see colorful visions of your future)".
- - - -
Do what you can Mate and WE hope you make a full recovery.

quickie update

had the usual p/t this morning. Wednesday is my last day, until they can get more time for me, which should bring me up to the Dec 23rd doctor's appointment.

ok, that being said.

i am nearly doubled over in pain, and if i try to walk, i walk like the hunchback of Notre Dame....

the gal gave me several new exercises to do.

i could not lift, a mere 20 pounds of weight off the floor, carry it a few feet, put it onto a table, then back onto the floor, and repeat....

i squatted down as she showed me, 2 weeks ago to do this..but all there was in the wooden box, was rubber balls.

the box weighs all of 13 pounds. today, she put in 3 weights, at or about 2-3 pounds each.

i had a shooting pain in my back, where i have been always complaining about, right there at the belt-line where the surgery took place. not higher, not lower.

i had to walk the thread mill. i told her i can barely walk in the super market...i lasted all of about 5 minutes. the pain shot up my back.

then she had me "try" to bend and touch my toes, as far as i could with out putting myself in pain...

yeah......ok......let me tell you this......i was able to "imagine" i was able to do that....

the ice pack she put on me today was for 10 minutes, not the usual 7..

now, i can hardly walk in my house, i cannot sit, i cannot eat much.

i "downed" a "med cocktail".......and in a bit, no matter what anyone says......

i'm gonna "down" not a shot, but a glass of brandy, as it's all i got.....2 days ago, i polished off my Jack D.....

i only had that alcohol for an occasional shot, had the Jack nearly 2 years, just slowly being sipped.

i am not anymore interested in even entertaining anything.

Wow...something doesn't sound right anymore and it surely sounds like everything is going down hill quickly.
At this point the fusion surgery should have solved the disc issues and the actual surgical pain should be gone. You should only be experiencing slight to moderate aches,pains,and soreness as everything starts fusing together through time and therapy sessions.

Maybe the bone stimulator steering wheel thing-a-ma-bob is actually aggravating things.(Just a huge guess)

I know it's a hurry up and wait with work comp but there are times you just have to take charge and initiate something. Maybe you can escalate your Dr. appointment and be seen sooner since the pain is getting worse. You have to discuss the latest x-ray and come up with an alternative treatment plan now.

Definitely keep us updated on what's happening.

something isn't right....

what..i do not know.

if it worsens (which it has) since therapy, i will be making calls.

first to the doctor, then to the lawyer.

i can "only guess" that the doctor got the report from the x-ray people. from that he must have ascertained there is little to no fusion going on..

but, it is the holiday coming up as well.....maybe he was leaving town sooner than anticipated.

but i still "think" it's because the x-ray report told him volumes....

personally, i think the spinal bone growth stimulator, is a quackery device.

but it was "free" to me....if i had refused it, or anything else up to this point, then someone could mess with me and say, "well then, you are pk to go back to work, good-bye, we are done with you".....

the thing i can refuse, and WILL refuse is water therapy due to my terrible ordeal as a kid.

THAT, i cannot be forced to do, as told to me by my lawyer.

PS...i was never told of the doctors cancellation of my appointment.

not even a lie as to why it was cancelled......a lie would have been better than nothing at all.

each time i call, i get the typical "merry-go-round" of push this button, push that button...

we have become a society of if you want service, wait for it, as we got no time to talk to you in person.

ok, an update.

the appointment i was to have with the surgeon himself, was for Wednesday the 26th of November.

but i was called on Friday a few days earlier as the office cancelled that appointment, and pushed it to Dec 23rd.

i had already however, gone for that back x-ray, which i updated over a week ago.

i just minutes ago called the office again.

i spoke with his nurse and told her about the cancellation, and wasn't given any reason. she then told me, he was in surgery that day.

ok, and i asked if i need to get yet another x-ray, as i am ever so willing to lay on the table like a slug.

she said no, that one you got before the Nov appointment will do just fine, he just wants to check on the fusion progress...

so, i guess no laying like a slug, or standing like a mope for another x-ray...

i surely do hope, the workman's comp insurance people are not pissed off that they have to save a few bucks......

as for the pains..??

yeah, i still get'em..daily, nightly......

can't ever sleep through the night, as i have mentioned countless times before.

can't bend, can't twist.

i do have one last p/t session this Wednesday. they owe me this one. last week, i had to take mom to her doctor. she has some sort on infection, and she was feverish. so the therapy was put off. i think that mother and dad, especially at thier ages, will get my attention over my p/t anytime.

the p/t place has to call for more sessions. if and when i get any new time there, they will call me.

so as it will be, this Wed, can be my last day for a while.....

more updates as needed...

but more importantly than that...

if anyone knows of anyone that is hurt, or injured from thier job, try to inform them of some of the BS, they may be headed for....

and most importantly...get a lawyer, to protect themselves, and thier rights.....

no telling the BS a workers comp insurance company can put you through.....

wow, i'll say this much too....

nearly 6,100 views....

i guess many are keeping track not only of my progress but also of the nonsense involved with quack doctors at the clinic, surgery, recovery, p/t and a possible career ending situation...

no matter what YOU do to prevent such an injury, always be aware, that it does not take much for something to go wrong as you are doing your job, not only as a trucker, but in nearly ANY occupation....

wow, i'll say this much too....

nearly 6,100 views....

i guess many are keeping track not only of my progress but also of the nonsense involved with quack doctors at the clinic, surgery, recovery, p/t and a possible career ending situation...

no matter what YOU do to prevent such an injury, always be aware, that it does not take much for something to go wrong as you are doing your job, not only as a trucker, but in nearly ANY occupation....

Sorry to hear your surgery went so bad!!!! I had back surgery back in October the 9 th.. He Removed bone spurs and stenosis, and had to work on L1 thru L6, I have a 9 inch cut and my surgery took about 4 1/2 hours!! At first I thought it was a mistake, but now I'm in my 12th week and I'm starting to feel my feet for the first time in nearly15 years! Wish I hadn't waited so long!!! Mine is not workmanscomp but my insurance paid for everything. Really starting to see the results now at 12 weeks!

Sorry to hear your surgery went so bad!!!! I had back surgery back in October the 9 th.. He Removed bone spurs and stenosis, and had to work on L1 thru L6, I have a 9 inch cut and my surgery took about 4 1/2 hours!! At first I thought it was a mistake, but now I'm in my 12th week and I'm starting to feel my feet for the first time in nearly15 years! Wish I hadn't waited so long!!! Mine is not workmanscomp but my insurance paid for everything. Really starting to see the results now at 12 weeks!

wow, my scar is about 9 to 10" long as well, and he only worked on the 3-4 and 5 (all L)...

i will not go into details, but in my first few posts, i went into great detail...

i still get a numbness in my right leg, this is the side that was affected this time.

my first surgery back in 2001, my left side was so paralyzed, i couldn't walk a mere 4 feet.

i still get pains. in fact, today was my last scheduled p/t session till they get approval of more.

i cannot lift more than say about 15 pounds. the gal today tried putting another 5 pound weight into the wooden box i must lift...

i took out that extra 5 pounds.......

i cannot pull any weights (to speak of) using this machine that with your arms, you lift weights....

don't know the name of the machine, but with cables, you lift weights.. i can only lift about 15 pounds, before i feel a BIG pain in the back..

well, each person "survives" the same operation differently.

i very well may have other problems that are preventing me from succeeding in a better recovery.

good luck to you.

ProDriver,
We all know back injuries are painful and serious, You have first hand experience. Also truck drivers just by the nature of the sitting, bouncing, and lifting are very prone to back injuries. I am very sorry to hear of your injury. My thought would be to get a GOOD second opinion, and if he agrees with the first one you got then have the surgery. Letting a back injury go probably will lead to more serious problems down the road. Do the rehab and see where it goes. Will you be on workmen's comp while you are off? what does your company say about the situation? will they fight your claim if you go for disability? Financially how will this affect you? Lots of questions and hard answers to get.
Keep the faith and I will keep you in my prayers.
wow, my scar is about 9 to 10" long as well, and he only worked on the 3-4 and 5 (all L)...

i will not go into details, but in my first few posts, i went into great detail...

i still get a numbness in my right leg, this is the side that was affected this time.

my first surgery back in 2001, my left side was so paralyzed, i couldn't walk a mere 4 feet.

i still get pains. in fact, today was my last scheduled p/t session till they get approval of more.

i cannot lift more than say about 15 pounds. the gal today tried putting another 5 pound weight into the wooden box i must lift...

i took out that extra 5 pounds.......

i cannot pull any weights (to speak of) using this machine that with your arms, you lift weights....

don't know the name of the machine, but with cables, you lift weights.. i can only lift about 15 pounds, before i feel a BIG pain in the back..

well, each person "survives" the same operation differently.

i very well may have other problems that are preventing me from succeeding in a better recovery.

good luck to you.

Thanks and good luck to you, when I got to where I couldn't stand up straight I was getting those epidurial shots in my disc and that helped for a while but they quit working so I had to have surgery!! Good luck and have a good holiday ...

i got a call from the p/t place. i have been approved for more sessions. i had asked the gal how many more, but she didn't have that information in front of her at the time.

i also got a call from a flatbed company. apparently i had applied to them sometime last year, and i didn't take the job then. the gal there said for me to call her as soon as i can. (she left a message for me, and the call came from Ohio, but they have a terminal near me. when i saw that long distance area code, i let it go to the answering machine)

i'd like to call.........but....we all know i cannot..........

but, it felt good to get that call too.

Jeez...H. Christ......

sis wanted to try and bake some old fashion Christmas cookies, our late aunt used to make.

Well anyway, I was standing up most of the time, as she asked to add this, and that to the mix. then sis put the cookie trays into the oven, as i cannot bend.

must have been standing longer than i thought. last night, i was in shooting pain..!!!

went to the p/t place this morning, and i could not do nearly the full amount of each exercise.

have to do (say) 10 reps of one thing, 3 times.

yeah, right, how about 5 reps of one time...!!!

the gal could not believe my lack of a workout, but she saw the pain on my face.

un....friggin...real.......

just standing up for a longer period of time sunday

the cookies turned out great, and tasted great.

but Jeez...H...Christ......

just standing....

I feel sorry for you. I know the Physical Therapist can be a shoulder to lean on at times but what is the doctor saying about the slow healing and excessive pain? It seems like they are getting lackadaisical with your pleas of pain.
If I was your therapist, you would go into a dark room, when the lights turned on there would be 20 starving and salivating pit bulls waiting. There would be one table to jump onto for safety. I would open the door in five minutes. j/k

i get to see the doctor next tuesday...in the morning, unless they cancel again....

you had better believe he will get an earful.

there should be no way, no how, this pain is lasting as long as it is, unless something else is wrong with my back.

UPDATE:

ok so today 12/22/14, i go to p/t. i have 3 more appointments left the gal said. she also said that she is not too sure if i will be getting anymore appointments.

reason she tells me:

"you're not making any progress (or) your not improving". actually not too sure what she said, my mind was spinning after i got off the table and nearly fell as my back pain shot up after my last exercise and i was in desperate NEED of the ice bag.

well, la-da-frickin-da...........

I HAVE BEEN TELLING THEM, that every time i go to p/t, i come out worse then when i went in, that the pains are still there, and every thing else i have been telling them since day fricking ONE......!!!!!!!

now, i do have an appointment with the surgeon tomorrow (Tues, Dec 23rd) at or about 11 AM.

of course i will be telling the doctor of the ongoing pains, the inability to bend to touch my toes, the inability to twist my body, and the God forsaken inability to lift MORE THAN my dinner plate...!!!

Jesus H. Christ.

i also a little earlier today (when i got home from p/t) typed up an update for the lawyer, telling him of the probability of no more p/t and the on going pain, etc,etc. i will leave it at that, this being a holiday week, i really do not know if the lawyer or his gals are even in the office, but i dropped off the update just the same.

here's a quick example or two from today..

they give me these dumbbells, 10 pounds each. i have to raise them from my sides, up to my chest, then lower them...sounds simple...right enough...???

as soon as they get up to my chest..................

the frigging pain shoots from my lower back, down to my leg, and up to my neck.........in other words, "from top to bottom"..........

NOW ......WHAT THE HELL.....???

before that, they have this machine. there are weights inside, and i have to pull a cable to lift them. then i have to stand side by side with the machine, and hold the cable in front of me, and sorta push out the cable from my chest, outwards, then back to my chest.

sounds quite simple...huh...???

except, as i do that exercise, again, the pain is immense as it is tugging against my back while trying to hold the mere frigging 15 lbs BOTH hands are trying to work with.....

then one other example....

they have this wooden "milk crate" weighs a mere 13 lbs empty.

the gal (today) puts in 12 pounds of dumbbells, and the 13 lbs is what.....25 lbs..??

i CAN push it away from me (its a push/pull exercise), but God *********&^&^%^&*&*(^&*^&*...try to pull it back......!!!!

it puts an unusual strain on my back, pulling that "MERE" 25 pounds...!!!!!!!

so i take out the 5 lbs weight, she see's it and puts it back. i try once more, cannot pull it back, take out the extra 5 lbs, and see she's that, but does not say 2 words to me....but she does write down something.

again...WTF.........????????

so there you have it.....

i cannot lift, pull more than the weights a 15 year old can

frankly, i'm just glad my "Johnson" doesn't weigh all that much either, or i'd be in real deep................shhhh.........

now to tell the doctor, and get his response....tomorrow........

tell ya'll what too........

it's true the old saying..........

once your back is operated on..............you'll always have problems, or YOU WILL GET THEM sooner or later.

UPDATE:

ok so today 12/22/14, i go to p/t. i have 3 more appointments left the gal said. she also said that she is not too sure if i will be getting anymore appointments.

reason she tells me:

"you're not making any progress (or) your not improving". actually not too sure what she said, my mind was spinning after i got off the table and nearly fell as my back pain shot up after my last exercise and i was in desperate NEED of the ice bag.

well, la-da-frickin-da...........

I HAVE BEEN TELLING THEM, that every time i go to p/t, i come out worse then when i went in, that the pains are still there, and every thing else i have been telling them since day fricking ONE......!!!!!!!

Always happens. You can complain every day as they are so used to complainers (they get complacent to the specific needs of the patient), they label you as a malingerer, try different PT trick exercises to see if you're lying, whining until "they" decide to tell you that you are not improving.

Now, I do have an appointment with the surgeon tomorrow (Tues, Dec 23rd) at or about 11 AM.

of course i will be telling the doctor of the ongoing pains, the inability to bend to touch my toes, the inability to twist my body, and the God forsaken inability to lift MORE THAN my dinner plate...!!!

Make sure you let your doctor know what's going on. Every little detail, use up every minute allotted to you.
I don't remember, but does your work comp case manager "nurse" show up? This would be the perfect time to get them all in sync.

I also a little earlier today (when i got home from p/t) typed up an update for the lawyer, telling him of the probability of no more p/t and the on going pain, etc,etc. i will leave it at that, this being a holiday week, i really do not know if the lawyer or his gals are even in the office, but i dropped off the update just the same.

Most peoples brains goes into shut down mode this close to the holidays, they are probably closing off easy cases, thinking about what gifts to get, closing off cases, thinking about what to make for dinner, closing off cases, thinking about how they are going to entertain, closing off cases.....if you know what I mean.

here's a quick example or two from today..

they give me these dumbbells, 10 pounds each. i have to raise them from my sides, up to my chest, then lower them...sounds simple...right enough...???

as soon as they get up to my chest..................

the frigging pain shoots from my lower back, down to my leg, and up to my neck.........in other words, "from top to bottom"..........

NOW ......WHAT THE HELL.....???
Honestly, they are still trying to work on your "Core" strength. A lot of pain can be reduced and a lot of weight can be handled if you build your core strength. Do you tighten your abs when you do this? It's easy not to and to cheat a bit. If your not tightening your abs than your spine will take the brunt of exercise and immediately hurt. The strengthening exercise becomes useless. The goal is to tighten the abs and have those muscles as well as your shoulder and upper back muscles take the brunt and start to get stronger by working together. The muscles around your spine (including abs upper back) help strengthen the spine.

IMO: The weight is WAY too much. 1.5-3 pounds each should be done first. 10lbs is BS especially since you are voicing your pain.

before that, they have this machine. there are weights inside, and i have to pull a cable to lift them. then i have to stand side by side with the machine, and hold the cable in front of me, and sorta push out the cable from my chest, outwards, then back to my chest.

sounds quite simple...huh...???
except, as i do that exercise, again, the pain is immense as it is tugging against my back while trying to hold the mere frigging 15 lbs BOTH hands are trying to work with.....

This type of exercise is the same, core strength build your abs to help support your spine. HOWEVER! It does seem a little too advanced for a person that is not making progress. 15 pounds seems right but if you complain, they should be dropping down to 10 pounds. Tighten the abs. Practice by holding your breath as you do one rep. It really does work. As you get better than you can actually exhale or breath as your abs are tight.

they have this wooden "milk crate" weighs a mere 13 lbs empty.

the gal (today) puts in 12 pounds of dumbbells, and the 13 lbs is what.....25 lbs..??

i CAN push it away from me (its a push/pull exercise), but God *********&^&^%^&*&*(^&*^&*...try to pull it back......!!!!
Same as the above, another core strengthening exercise. It is also used in a FCE for testing/malingering purposes.
Hold your abs tight and you will be amazed at how much you can move, lift carry. Once your abs get stronger your spine will than you.
Especially since you have multi level fusion.
When I say strengthened abs, it doesn't mean getting 6 pack abs. We all have them but we also have a layer of fat that hides them.

so i take out the 5 lbs weight, she see's it and puts it back. i try once more, cannot pull it back, take out the extra 5 lbs, and see she's that, but does not say 2 words to me....but she does write down something again...WTF.........????????.

It's a no no to decide on your own what you will and won't do. The best way to handle this would have been to refuse to move it until weight was taken off, reinforce your verbal pain concerns by protecting yourself. They would probably lower the weight for you.
As far as them writing notes? Yep, they wrote that you either removed the weight on your own or the weight seemed like too much. Most likely both.
If and when she put the weight back and you continued struggling with your push pull game, than there is a slight chance of malingering.
Bottom line: You either do the exercises with little complaints as you build your core or you just shut down and tell them it's really hurting your spine.

So there you have it.....

i cannot lift, pull more than the weights a 15 year old can

frankly, i'm just glad my "Johnson" doesn't weigh all that much either, or i'd be in real deep................shhhh.........

now to tell the doctor, and get his response....tomorrow........

tell ya'll what too........

it's true the old saying..........

once your back is operated on..............you'll always have problems, or YOU WILL GET THEM sooner or later.
True, once you get back surgery, you somehow start to favor that area and protect it. building your core strength is HUGE and does take lots of practice and working through some pain. In your case, it seemed like the PT was pushing you too much to finalize some notes and show they attempted to progress you through in a timely manner. In the end, tell your doctor everything. Start writing things down now so you don't forget.

Good Luck and no monkey slapping johnson exercises. We men have built in core strength in that department, unless you need the V-pill.