FedEx Freight | CB Radios

All that and with a 5 and 4 gearbox. That's why you guys are the true pioneers.

:guiness:

Long before the CB days, 1955 and 56 we had hydramatics, 4 on the column and a hi-lo stick,671 Detroit 238HP
Mclean and Akers had 471 Detroits with 5 spd and 2 spd axle, RTL was Big Dogs between transmission failures.
Except for Associated Transport, they ruled the roost.
Next year we got 10 spd Roadrangers, 671s cut back to 190HP.
Boy Wong would really have a complaint had he been around in those days.

Long before the CB days, 1955 and 56 we had hydramatics, 4 on the column and a hi-lo stick,671 Detroit 238HP
Mclean and Akers had 471 Detroits with 5 spd and 2 spd axle, RTL was Big Dogs between transmission failures.
Except for Associated Transport, they ruled the roost.
Next year we got 10 spd Roadrangers, 671s cut back to 190HP.
Boy Wong would really have a complaint had he been around in those days.

I bet your kidneys were glad when you retired.

I ran a Cobra 29 hooked to a big coil antenna for a few years. I could holler at anyone with a radio for a few miles around. The hardware came out when I changed trucks and never went into the new one. My current rig has a 29 in it but it don't work for ::shit:: and the antennas are crap. Planning to pull it all out and replace it all when I get the opportunity.

A CB is a valuable tool for a wise driver.

I ran a Cobra 29 hooked to a big coil antenna for a few years. I could holler at anyone with a radio for a few miles around. The hardware came out when I changed trucks and never went into the new one. My current rig has a 29 in it but it don't work for :::shit::: and the antennas are crap. Planning to pull it all out and replace it all when I get the opportunity.

The antennas aren't usually grounded well on the newer trucks now which in turn results in higher than recommended SWR's. Get you an SWR meter and check. Sometimes you have to move the antennas around to get a good ground. I remember the Kenworth T2000's with the factory mounts high on the cab were some of the worst offenders. I can't imagine these new Cascadias are any different.

You want your SWR below 1.5 or you won't get out as well and you will overheat, and eventually burn up your finals. You want 18 ft. of coaxial cable and a single antenna for best results. Also, don't trust the meter built-in on the radio when setting your antenna. They are unreliable for setting your SWR. You'll need a meter. The truck stops CB shops used to do it for you for a few dollars. You may still be able to buy a meter at a truck stop.

Last edited:
I ran a Cobra 29 hooked to a big coil antenna for a few years. I could holler at anyone with a radio for a few miles around. The hardware came out when I changed trucks and never went into the new one. My current rig has a 29 in it but it don't work for :::shit::: and the antennas are crap. Planning to pull it all out and replace it all when I get the opportunity.

I seem to recall good results from a Francis antenna. I'm guessing they are still out there.

The guy I learned from had long sticks, with altered grips welded on top in such a way he could do both shifts with 1 hand. Impressed the hell out of me.

We never had assigned tractors,each driver had his own threaded extension of his choice.
Run your left arm between steering wheel spokes for steering and change main box with left hand, shift aux. stick
with right hand, ( not recommended for crooked mountain roads)
We never had quads, had a few 4x3 12 spd Spicers, my all time favorite was a 9 spd RR.
Lot of guys liked the 13 spd. not one of my favorites.

The antennas aren't usually grounded well on the newer trucks now which in turn results in higher than recommended SWR's. Get you an SWR meter and check. Sometimes you have to move the antennas around to get a good ground. I remember the Kenworth T2000's with the factory mounts high on the cab were some of the worst offenders. I can't imagine these new Cascadias are any different.

You want your SWR below 1.5 or you won't get out as well and you will overheat, and eventually burn up your finals. You want 18 ft. of coaxial cable and a single antenna for best results. Also, don't trust the meter built-in on the radio when setting your antenna. They are unreliable for setting your SWR. You'll need a meter. The truck stops CB shops used to do it for you for a few dollars. You may still be able to buy a meter at a truck stop.

My antenna bracket was welded to my visegrips attached to mirror arms, about 2 ft. of coax, like I said,
I could talk across the interstate, if the median wasn't too wide.

I'm pretty sure this unit is broken somehow. It'll receive but not send. And the range is ::shit::. It's gotta be what the original dealer fitted to it.

Like I said, I plan to pull it all out and fit something done right. The truck stops do still sell SWR meters and I had my old setup tuned well before I yanked it all apart. It all got junked without my knowledge a few years back, wasn't too happy.

Old setup was a single big coil, didn't need anything crazy and it did a fantastic job.

I'm pretty sure this unit is broken somehow. It'll receive but not send. And the range is :::shit:::. It's gotta be what the original dealer fitted to it.

Like I said, I plan to pull it all out and fit something done right. The truck stops do still sell SWR meters and I had my old setup tuned well before I yanked it all apart. It all got junked without my knowledge a few years back, wasn't too happy.

Old setup was a single big coil, didn't need anything crazy and it did a fantastic job.

Sounds like the finals are burned out. Man if you weren't so far away I've got milk crates full of stuff in the building and would give you one. Hell, I've got radios, mics, and miscellaneous parts from radios from the seventies up to the 2000's. Quite a few have only 23 channels or less. Come to think of it, my collection of CB junk would fill up BD's hat.

Sounds like the finals are burned out. Man if you weren't so far away I've got milk crates full of stuff in the building and would give you one. Hell, I've got radios, mics, and miscellaneous parts from radios from the seventies up to the 2000's. Quite a few have only 23 channels or less. Come to think of it, my collection of CB junk would fill up BD's hat.
Unfortunately you can’t give CB stuff away now, much less sell it...unless it’s for a base station.

I hate to correct such a good post (but you know I’m gonna :438:) but actually the ground has nothing to do with the SWR’s, a good ground will improve your ears by taking out all of the background noise and interference caused by all of today’s electronics and fiberglass trucks. I could get excellent SWR’s by moving the antenna around like you said but I usually had to run a ground wire from the bracket down to the frame to clear out all of the noise...especially on those T2000’s!!

As long as your SWR’s are below a 3.0 on the meter, a barefoot radio will be fine. If you plan to add “fire to the wire” then you’ll want at least 1.8 or lower. Agreed, 18’ of coax is optimal but as long as you use increments of 3’ you’ll be fine. I ran dual antennas on the T2000’s with 6’ of coax from each (because that’s all I needed), a ground wire on both sides, and could “walk the dog and kick the cat”, c’mon!! Agreed, the built in meters on the radio were very unreliable...I always used a Dosy TR-1000 myself.

I seem to recall good results from a Francis antenna. I'm guessing they are still out there.
I currently use a 5.5 foot Francis only because they quit making the Master Blaster...that was the best damn antenna on the market IMO but a Francis will most definitely get the job done...now. Never was a fan of the Wilson or the Monkey Made (to heavy) but to each his own.