Yellow | Chicago heights out of tractors?

Funny, whether or not we like what we have is all relative to what we have had. I'll bet that a driver who retired 30 years ago with manual steering, a seat that resembled a seat in an old dining car restaurant, rough ride suspension and no A/C would give his first born to drive the Sterlings that we're "stuck with" today. And that doesn't even include the engine brake.

Funny, whether or not we like what we have is all relative to what we have had. I'll bet that a driver who retired 30 years ago with manual steering, a seat that resembled a seat in an old dining car restaurant, rough ride suspension and no A/C would give his first born to drive the Sterlings that we're "stuck with" today. And that doesn't even include the engine brake.

The Sterlings were a step down from their predecessors, the Louisville Fords in my opinion. I'd take a old LNT-9000 Ford over a newer Sterling anytime.

Ran the road with them for many years with Hendrickson suspension, no P/S, no A/C and all the hot engine air blowing on your throttle foot when the doghouse didn't fit right. :TR10driving03:

City drivers love them(more room in the cab to store their junk Valuable possessions) L/H drivers hate them for the ride............

30 years ago??? If ya ever worked for Rdwy you would alter your estimate :D

roadway11.jpg
1952.JPG

Here's some oldies.......

I drove that stuff in my younger days. You can keep your Sterlings sonny their a POS ....

Ya life was good until he got them dang Dogs.....then they got the Tidbits...Oh well I was able to let lots of air out of the seat after awhile. :15:

At least you didn't have to crank the seat down! Be thankful for small favors I guess??

I drove that stuff in my younger days. You can keep your Sterlings sonny their a POS ....

Works for me, I never was big on fighting over a tractor. As long as it has no chicken bones, french fries and old coffee cups laying around in it I'm thrilled to have any rough riding rattletrap with A/C, P/S and an air seat.

Roadway kept those Pepsi cab over city fords 4 ever .In the 70's they had those old fords from the 50's.
LOL...I remember when they said nothing over a "67' on the street....I was so happy....Then I got some Old Air start Volvo that had been around the world 3 times, and the steering wheel so big if ya palmed the wheel in a turn your little pinky would get bent over on the door jamb....after the 3rd time ya would start crying. And guys ***** about the Sterlings, :soapbox:

Roadway Albuquerque would run us city guys 138 miles to Gallup NM in those cabover Ford city tractors(pumkins) to peddle freight.

He must of had on of the 14xxx series with the 3208 cat in it, the older gas jobs would had to been fueled to get back.....................

Works for me, I never was big on fighting over a tractor. As long as it has no chicken bones, french fries and old coffee cups laying around in it I'm thrilled to have any rough riding rattletrap with A/C, P/S and an air seat.

One road driver went to the shop first thing and had the seat remounted farther back so he fit between the steering wheel and seat. I could barely reach the pedals afterward.