TForce | classification seniority

HIRED GUN

TB Lurker
Credits
How is seniority broken down at terminals.city,road, dock, etc. I am under the understanding that its different at different barns

some terminals go by your hire date or full time date, like it states in the contract. ARTICLE 5 SECTION 1. SENIORITY. (A)< upon completion of the probationary period, the employee's seniority FOR ALL PURPOSES shall be the first day worked as a probationary employee.>
yet other terminals go by your classification date. the date in which you change classifications. if you work the dock for 30 years and you become a driver, for bidding purposes they go by the date in which you became a driver, not the date in which you became full time. you still have your pay scale, and all of your vacation time , which you will burn shortly after becoming a driver since your a 10% ,after 30 years of service, and only working 1 to 2 days a week.

sorry about the rant, ive been with the company for over 10 years and are a 10%. so im a little disgruntled.

some terminals go by your hire date or full time date, like it states in the contract. ARTICLE 5 SECTION 1. SENIORITY. (A)< upon completion of the probationary period, the employee's seniority FOR ALL PURPOSES shall be the first day worked as a probationary employee.>
yet other terminals go by your classification date. the date in which you change classifications. if you work the dock for 30 years and you become a driver, for bidding purposes they go by the date in which you became a driver, not the date in which you became full time. you still have your pay scale, and all of your vacation time , which you will burn shortly after becoming a driver since your a 10% ,after 30 years of service, and only working 1 to 2 days a week.

sorry about the rant, ive been with the company for over 10 years and are a 10%. so im a little disgruntled.

Your local cartage seniority is inclusive of city, dock and jockey.

no city is by itself, here in chicago we have two halls covering the terminal.
705 city-- so if there is no work you babysit the phone
710 road , dock, spotter --- if there is no raod work you work the dock

out of Local 745-Dallas, Tx, we have 2 boards at all our terminals one board is for ALL local cartage work and one board for ALL road work! Your company seniority is for lay-offs purposes only and your classification seniority is for bidding purposes only!

out of Local 745-Dallas, Tx, we have 2 boards at all our terminals one board is for ALL local cartage work and one board for ALL road work! Your company seniority is for lay-offs purposes only and your classification seniority is for bidding purposes only!
..and where in the contract is it that breaks in down that way...mmm

Now that's the problem! We have one contract, yet so many terminals doing different things. I can see the benefit of single line seniority, it eliminates the confusion. Here in Albany,NY Local 294, Road is just that, Road classification seniority. Local cartage (company seniority) is your fulltime start date. Got to keep this all stupid simple, you know!

There is always a comedian in every crowd!!

..sorry if you didn`t catch the humor...my jest was that the post was in error NOWHERE in our contact does job classification supersede full time company senority....

ARTICLE 5​
Section 1. Seniority​
(a) Upon completion of the probationary period, the employee’s
seniority for &quot;all purposes&quot; shall be the first (1st) day worked as a probationary
employee. Seniority shall be broken only by discharge,
voluntary quit, normal retirement, or more than a two (2) year layoff,
or leave, except for employees on workers compensation leave
who shall not suffer a break in seniority unless on leave for more
than three (3) years.
(b) A list of employees arranged in the order of their seniority shall
be posted on the Union bulletin board no less often than once every
six (6) months. A copy of the seniority posting shall be sent to the
Local Union.
(c) Any controversy over the seniority standing of any employee on
the seniority list shall be subject to the grievance procedure. An
employee shall have thirty (30) days to protest his placement on the
seniority list once it is first posted. If there is no written protest
within this thirty (30) day period, the employee shall not have a
right to challenge his placement on the list thereafter.

(28th of April 2008..and still waiting)

(d) For full-time employees there shall be two seniority lists, “local
cartage” and “over-the-road.” There shall also be a separate “casual
local cartage” seniority list. Employees in the following classifications
shall be included on the local cartage seniority list: all truck
drivers, helpers, dock workers, jockeys, and such other employees
as may be presently or hereafter represented by the Union, engaged
in local pickup, delivery, and assembling of freight. The “over-thread”
seniority list shall include all over-the-road drivers whose primary
job is to transport freight between the Employer’s facilities.
Nothing within this paragraph shall preclude the Company from
requesting a road driver to make extra stops to pick up or deliver
freight in connection with his regular run or performing other local
cartage work as the Company may assign. It is not the intent of the
Company that this provision be utilized to diminish cartage employees’
work.
(e) The Company shall offer extra city or dock work to road
employees who are on layoff and who are qualified and immediately
available for city or dock work prior to using casual employees,
except where there is a mutually agreed procedure to the contrary.
No road employee shall gain “local cartage” seniority under this
provision, but he/she shall accrue Company seniority.
(f) The following shall apply to casual employees:

(g) In developing the initial Local Cartage seniority list referenced above, the Company shall use the employee’s Company seniority
date unless a particular employee transferred into his current service center from another service center. In such event, the employee’s transfer date to the current service center shall be used todevelop the seniority list.

....now as you can see job classification is a none issue...IF....the contact is followed...to which is where the humor was directed...and if you investigate this issue you will find many threads in which the lack of following the contract is evident.....

It seems clear to me. Some think there class senority is more important than company time. I think theres something wrong when a man with 25 years and only 3 years on the road has to sit at home while a 4 year man works. How can that be right? Well I guess he knew what he was doing when he changed over, so the hell with him. That's how we treat our brothers in the south.

It seems clear to me. Some think there class senority is more important than company time. I think theres something wrong when a man with 25 years and only 3 years on the road has to sit at home while a 4 year man works. How can that be right? Well I guess he knew what he was doing when he changed over, so the hell with him. That's how we treat our brothers in the south.

So, if I follow you, it doesn't matter what the contract says, it is what seems fair to a majority of the drivers?

Does that mean I can bid to the city in the winter and not sit home on slow days, because I have more company time than most of the citymen? What about a dock worker who gets his CDL and goes to the road board, after 15 years on the dock, is he able to work ahead of anyone with less company time on slow nights?

...unless you have a one list barn.No as stated above you can`t jump from local to road...only if there is a opening ; then you can move if you bid and are the senior man..then at next bid you bid your seriority...so yes in time a &quot;FULL TIME&quot;dock worker that goes to driving takes his FULL TIME company seniority with him..emphasis on FULL TIME...most dockworkers time is considered part time(casual)...so their part time doesn`t count...your Full Time start date is your Company Seniority date.......unless you transfer on your own accord..then the date you walk through your new terminals gate is your new seniority date.....now if you are a one list barn l..then yes it`s possible to move around if they bid that way...how `bout DW how do ya`ll:rolleyes1:,,,bid one master bid then two road..local bids ?

..but I soooo agree a junior man should not be running while a senior man sits at home.......file file file..:ranting2:

I 'm not going to quote the contract for you. If you'll read the first paragraph of article 5 it is very clear on this issue. Why do you think that they realigned the local cartage and not the road? I don't know what they were thinking when they wrote this contract. It's almost like they wanted us to be fighting over this issue. I didn't say that I thought we should have one board senority. Even it it were a one board, you don't bump anytime you get ready. You still have to run out your bid. This subject is boaring to me, it's all about interpretation. There are several barns that would agree with me and several that would agree with you, so I guess the majority and the contract will rule.

..goatman is all about the greenback...and the locals know it...but in time we will mirror package......

Mirror package??? So would our city board be like the panel van package pushers, and the road be like the feeder system?? They might just have two different seniority list! I don't work there, so i don't know.

..yeah I know it`s tough..I been there..but I was lucky enough to have a little saved up my 401 k that I could care less if the phone rang...and once that was known...the phone never stopped...heavens no we cant have a happy road driver....so go figure.....hang in there , it`s got to get better...I pray as much,,!