TForce | classification seniority

New England fell into the UPS trap of one board seniority or super seniority. You overlooked the contract that specifically say there shall be 2 seperate classifications local and road and a seperate casual seniority list. Who over there was so ignorant as to let that happen? Let me guess. Someone with a bit of self serving senirity. I have 25 years and wouldnt let that happen. How weak is your local?

New England fell into the UPS trap of one board seniority or super seniority. You overlooked the contract that specifically say there shall be 2 seperate classifications local and road and a seperate casual seniority list. Who over there was so ignorant as to let that happen? Let me guess. Someone with a bit of self serving senirity. I have 25 years and wouldnt let that happen. How weak is your local?

What trap did New England fall into. All of the New England terminals got together before the contract was ratified and voted whether to have one single list or two lists, the majority won and then the Teamsters negotiated with UPS to allow this to happen. I must say we are all happy with one list and its so nice to know that our seniority is fully respected, thanks to all the members that stuck together to make it happen.

One more thing, Have you ever heard of local supplements???These are decisions that over rule the language in the contract and they are quite common in organized labor.

I fail to see how the implementation of "1 list" is a "TRAP" or what did we "OVERLOOK"?

I find the 1 list to be rather comforting.

looks like dallas got it right....but it has always been different barns ...most hubs do it like dallas.most end line term dont have to worry about transfers and suff like that

What about a guy who has 25 years transferred to another terminal before the union came in went to the bottom of the city board waited for road runs to open which at the time was only 2 road positions, terminal opened 6 new runs and they were all bid by company seniority. The union came in and this guy was running the road already 3 years when they came along with this MOU about terminal seniority and now this guy who was #3 on the road board for 3 yrs is now sitting at home on call and the other guys are still runnin the road because they transferred in before him and they have less then 20 yrs with the company. How should this be handled? Any ideas?

stop talking about it and file a grievance on discrimination the contract is clear in article 5 so do something about it some road drivers are going by article 5 the frist day they worked as a probationary employee is there seniority and is being used for all purposes like the contract says we can have 2 borads and go by seniority on each one and go by the contract overnite IS DEAD AND GONE we are TEAMSTERS know
PS; ROll TIDE

Iam in Albuquerque terminal and I did greive this issue with the union and company and lost the case in Octoboer. I have proof of how I was put into this new classification and the union did not stand behind me. They claim that it goes by transfer date no matter what even if you have proof that you were put into that new position by company seniority. I have 26 years and all the other employees have less then 20. Not one of the other employees stood behind me during the ordeal and complained to the union that this was not fair even though this was all done back in 2006. It was one of our brothers who filed the greivence on this because he felt that company seniority should not be before terminal seniority.

..my friend I KNOW YOUR PAIN but..... Article 5,Sec. 1, paragraph (g) is plain

(g) In developing the initial Local Cartage seniority list referenced
above, the Company shall use the employee’s Company seniority
date unless a particular employee transferred into his current service
center from another service center. In such event, the employee’s
transfer date to the current service center shall be used to
develop the seniority list.

Thats was OVERNITE `s policy also....your total company time only comes into play for your retirement....but in a layoff I would push to where I`d need to that you would not sit at home before a junior guy...it`s a gray area there...Company Seniority trumps all in layoffs(...but you do bid your transfer date for your run..if they used company time in you voluntary transfer instead of your transfer through the gate date..then they were wrong...not wanting to stir the pot but we had two guys from Pulaski that transferred and their transfer date was there date to bid for their runs....and they retired before we went union....I`m hoping at next contract negotiations that will be considered....COMPANY SENIORITY TRUMPS ALL AS IT ALREADY STATES IN ARTICLE 5,SECTION 1

Section 1. Seniority
(a) Upon completion of the probationary period, the employee’s
seniority for all purposes shall be the first (1st) day worked as a probationary employee ......

.....are you laid off ? If you are,I would argue the MOU(company seniority vs classification in regards to "last employee hired") and the above section and paragraph applies.​

I transfered into the terminal and went to the bottom of the city board which was correct but when road positions opened human resources stated that this was to be bid by company seniority and it even states in the handbook at the time this took place
2006, I had been running the road as #3 all this time till this MOU came into play and a greivence was filed which I countered and lost. If this was a company policy 2006 then why did it change because the union came in? Anything that was in place at time of signing should not be changed ( how can you go back and change past practice?) if that is the case then why are other terminals running different then others? If this is one contract and one company then all should be treated equal.

Why do you people stop at the grievance procedure? When you know you are right , appeal it and write a letter to the president of your region with the IBT. DEMAND. I could care less what anyone thinks about this issue. The bottom line is all those who chose to transfer PRE contract with Overnite should be grandfathered to be able to use their hire date for layoffs,vacation selection, and retirement, period just like they were promised when they transferred,or what person in their right mind would of transferred. The only people who disagree are the ones who gained from your misfortune. Lets atleast be honest on here my brothers.

Why do you people stop at the grievance procedure? When you know you are right , appeal it and write a letter to the president of your region with the IBT. DEMAND. I could care less what anyone thinks about this issue. The bottom line is all those who chose to transfer PRE contract with Overnite should be grandfathered to be able to use their hire date for layoffs,vacation selection, and retirement, period just like they were promised when they transferred,or what person in their right mind would of transferred. The only people who disagree are the ones who gained from your misfortune. Lets atleast be honest on here my brothers.

This is the case. What a few are wanting now is there classification sonority back.

I do not believe that a dock worker who has been with the company for 20 years,then says hey I can get my cdl and start at the top of the road or city with NO DRIVING TIME UNDER HIS BELT!!!! should be able to bump someone who might have 1,000,000 miles of safe driving!!!!! This just seems very wrong to me, and I for 1 was not part of the vote for a single list as no notice was posted for a vote date! I asked the B.A about this and he said that if there was 3 people who voted yes for a 1 line, and that's all that came to the meeting[ even if there where 40 others who did not know about it] that was all it took!!! I also do not understand how we all where the same uniform, and make the same money, and do the same job,how is it that we all don't follow the same contract!!!! My copy of the contract calls for 2 list, yet in the northeast we live by one!!!!!:TR10driving03:

I saw this problem quite often. I remember when we first started to organize how many employee's did not show up at the meetings. They were either to busy or just plain were not Interested. I used to tell everyone that no matter how you feel, either for or against, go to the meetings and get informed as to what might be your future. Many did not show up, but later there was plenty of complaints from employees that said they new nothing about it, or they were not informed of any votes. Many employee's would have had a better understanding of how the union works, and how a National contract works with supplements that supersede any language in the contract for different states, locals and area's, known as supplements, had they only taken the time to show up for the meetings to have a better understanding of how it all works, the out come could have been different. Although I must say, I like the Idea of one list.

I agree 100%

I would have gone to the meeting if I had know about it. Win or lose I would have gone just to get my vote on record. I do agree the a person who was a driver for the start SHOULD be able to go where his senority takes him,but someone who has not ,his should start when he gets his lic, but only for bidding reasons, not for layoffs and vacation,that is where company time take over.I don't think a junior man should be working if a man with more company time is sitting home, but if he bid that way then o well, I did sat home when a junior man worked but that was MY DECISION!!!! If you bid x tra board and had a chance to get a steady run then you should have taken it!!!!!