Yellow | Connect The Dots! Something Is Up At The KCGO?!

Okay, here is what I have gathered so far, it's not much.

One major issue is getting trailers back to the west coast. Too many trailers leave, thus the pool is severely diminished.

Is it reasonable to haul barely or less than profitable freight as opposed to deadheading trailers back?

Do we compromise on the quality of freight we have gained leading us to profitability?

I do not know the numbers on how much more freight moves from west to east than vice versa.

Up here in Canuckistan we have always had a big imbalance of freight coming back east from the west. Before the merge we had people responsible for coordinating with valued customers and load brokers to haul full loads back to the east to get power and equipment back to haul the LTL loads to the west. Most of the time the loads only covered 60 - 80% of the line haul costs but the money was more than made up with the LTL freight going to the west. Now we run to the west with LTL and in a lot of cases run back 2700 miles EMPTY from the coast because the people in charge(COUGH COUGH) say that the full loads we used to pull weren't making any money. I'm just a truck driver but even I can figure out that 80% of a back haul still pays a hell of a lot more than 0%. Again, these are the people that are in control of our destiny. With brain farts like this, I'm not sure our future isn't very bright.

Ha! The "mushroom" analogy is funny! But a bit inaccurate. "Mushroom" suggests that we are being deprived of information. When I read the absurd comments about getting a tax refund on wages we were never paid. I believe that the problem is lack of common sense, not information!
Don't misunderstand, LEHIGH vALLEY, I agree that a reasonable dialogue between labor and management should be the goal. However, and without fear of disagreement, there are quite a few here who's ability to digest FACTS is questionable at best.

Agreed but by the same token there are just as many on Truckingboards than can digest the facts.

I still say put the truth out! And let everyone do with it as they may!

That puts a new meaning on the term "cushioned" doesn't it?!

I remember when the prototypes came out in the late 1970's and the IBT had them evaluated for safety, visibility, driver comfort, etc. They were never allowed to be used by Teamsters and never produced.

Elwood, some just don't understand linehaul operations! It has, is, and ALWAYS will be cheaper to pay layover, than run empty miles! And as you so astutely observed, mid level managers and their subordinates, follow instructions. They do not formulate strategic plans!
Not totally accurate.

Naw, put the drivers in a couple of empty pups and have them trucked back with a cab-under tractor.

Oh wow.i heard about that trailer contraption but I never saw one.Heard that a driver was crushed to death with one of those overhead trailer thingys.

While we all can joke about this, I believe it's a very serious matter.TM's have weekly conference calls, this is being presented to them hush,hush. To think the company would pay to fly the TM's all out to KC, put them up in hotels, to talk about there fabricated operational numbers?, I ain't buying that.

This is WWWAAAAAAAAAAAAAYYYY bigger then that, IMO.

Lehigh valley you are correct on the changes in, and out of the end of the lines, they never make any sense, end of the line bottom feeders on the east coast are one layoff 8 months of the year, and the jobs they put into 135, 123, they cant seem to handle.Guess we will all know in time, until then enjoy the turkey my brothers!. ,

Oh wow.i heard about that trailer contraption but I never saw one.Heard that a driver was crushed to death with one of those overhead trailer thingys.

Bigtruk, it doesn't surprise me a bit that you heard that. You always seem to hear so much more than the rest of us do. :LMAO: :biglaugh:

Not totally accurate.

In straight dollars and cents, it is cheaper for the company to pay layover than it is to pay a driver, fuel and equipment depreciation.
There are many times that the company must pay empty miles to reposition equipment.
In 'bookkeeping,' it falls under a different category, so as to help keep line haul costs in check.

Please enlighten as to what is "Not totally accurate."

In straight dollars and cents, it is cheaper for the company to pay layover than it is to pay a driver, fuel and equipment depreciation.
There are many times that the company must pay empty miles to reposition equipment.
In 'bookkeeping,' it falls under a different category, so as to help keep line haul costs in check.

Please enlighten as to what is "Not totally accurate."
El. I am thinking he may be referring to the YRC 3rd quarter report from the Cayman accounting firm of Merril, Lynch, Pierce, Fenner, and Ziggy $$$$

El. I am thinking he may be referring to the YRC 3rd quarter report from the Cayman accounting firm of Merril, Lynch, Pierce, Fenner, and Ziggy $$$$

I have a relationship with Ziggy, but Merril, Lynch, Pierce, Fenner and ghost partner, the ever elusive Smith, are not licensed to practice in the Commonwealth.

Hers an ideal,
Wanna change of Op's? Fine! We get something back into the pension AND some of the 15% back!
No money? NO G.D. CHANGE!
I did'nt give back anything so you'z bums in K.C. could keep screw'in things up!
ENOUGH ALREADY!

It is up to Hoffa. When we said no last year he shows back up with more garbage. How can we get ahead with out the members being heard. The IBT does what they want. Not what we ask for

While we all can joke about this, I believe it's a very serious matter.TM's have weekly conference calls, this is being presented to them hush,hush. To think the company would pay to fly the TM's all out to KC, put them up in hotels, to talk about there fabricated operational numbers?, I ain't buying that.

This is WWWAAAAAAAAAAAAAYYYY bigger then that, IMO.

Lehigh valley you are correct on the changes in, and out of the end of the lines, they never make any sense, end of the line bottom feeders on the east coast are one layoff 8 months of the year, and the jobs they put into 135, 123, they cant seem to handle.Guess we will all know in time, until then enjoy the turkey my brothers!. ,
I agree with you about way bigger Last-Ride. e-mails, Skype, Conference Calls, etc. would be way more cost effective. We''ll have to wait and see. All I was told by 2 of my Road Stewards, was that we are going to begin Smith-System Training again. I'm sure that was not the reason to bring Line-Haul Mgrs. to KS.

Another side note. They havn't brought any work to #135 in the last 5 yrs. and 10 months. We aren't Primary to anywhere. Charlotte, Indy come to us on lay-downs. Staunton, VA., Akron, Cleveland, Maybrook turn us, not to mention all of the end of the line Drivers that come in on lay-downs. We had 375 on the Road Board March '09, today it is 165 !

All I was told by 2 of my Road Stewards, was that we are going to begin Smith-System Training again. I'm sure that was not the reason to bring Line-Haul Mgrs. to KS.

You mean to tell me that the 'powers that be' are actually gonna revisit a program that promotes safety awareness and reduces accidents, with proven results?

Are we talkin' about the same company??

:hyper::hyper::hyper:

:wee:

:woot2::woot2::woot2:

You mean to tell me that the 'powers that be' are actually gonna revisit a program that promotes safety awareness and reduces accidents, with proven results?

Only until the CSA score comes down. Then business as usual.

Yes El we are. Remember...safety pays for itself.
:shift:

Only until the CSA score comes down. Then business as usual.

The CSA Scores I see posted @135 are mainly for Log violations, expired CDL's and Med. Cards. Only a very small % are for equip., even smaller % for out of service infractions.

I was in a level 3 check in LI., NY. a week ago Friday night and had Zero infractions, with a 2007 Yellow tractor and 2 Yellow pups, 1999 & 1993. Trooper Schwarz said Good Job Driver, have a safe trip.
:shift: