ABF | Conway Laredo Votes Yes

The only fear I have is that our so-called....."leadership".....at the IBT aren't up to the task. In spite of the disastrous contracts at UPS, UPS Freight YRC, ABF,....Carhaul,....the incompetent,.....spineless,.....clueless,.......and possibly complicit,.......negotiator skills on display,........many non-Union guys have finally decided to draw the proverbial line-in-the-sand,...and petition to join,........the Teamsters. Talk about the triumph of Hope over the reality of Example,............I fervently wish that the Executive board at the IBT realize they have a....MOVEMENT at hand,....a re-energizing of the LABOR MOVEMENT,....brought on by the excesses of the businessmen and Wall Street,.....and that they don't blunder or squander away this rising tide of working people demanding their rights to be heard. I hope Mr. Hoffa grows a set of manly testicles overnight, and puts aside his prostitution of our Union for political votes,.....I hope it dawns on him that the Teamsters have a chance at REAL POWER,....not the squishy Beltway I'll-scratch-your-back-if-you-scratch-mine power brokering that goes on around Washington,......and I hope his sycophantic acolytes also get testicle-enhancement surgery,...and don't try and convince him that : "This is just a phase,.....They really won't be worth organizing......Too much trouble..." .......You want Redemption, Mess'r's Sweeton and Johnson? Go ORGANIZE these groups ,.....put aside the fire departments, water authorities, and nurses for a moment,.....all good groups,.....but the REAL POWER resides in the TRUCKING industry! Here's your chance to reverse 25 years of the damage de-regulation did to organized trucking. Get up off your plushy chairs,...get out of your plushy offices,......GET AWAY FROM YOUR TICKY-TACKY TWO-BIT LAWYERS,.....and get out in the field and ORGANIZE THE REAL BACKBONE OF THE TEAMSTERS!.... Here's your chance for a real Legacy to be proud of,.....not the broken-promise , broken-contract, incompetent legacy you have now........Or would you like to leave:"R.I.P. NMFA 1963 to 2013. Done In By The Son Of The Man Who Created You." the Legacy the Hoffa Jr. era leaves to organized Labor?

The only fear I have is that our so-called....."leadership".....at the IBT aren't up to the task. In spite of the disastrous contracts at UPS, UPS Freight YRC, ABF,....Carhaul,....the incompetent,.....spineless,.....clueless,.......and possibly complicit,.......negotiator skills on display,........many non-Union guys have finally decided to draw the proverbial line-in-the-sand,...and petition to join,........the Teamsters. Talk about the triumph of Hope over the reality of Example,............I fervently wish that the Executive board at the IBT realize they have a....MOVEMENT at hand,....a re-energizing of the LABOR MOVEMENT,....brought on by the excesses of the businessmen and Wall Street,.....and that they don't blunder or squander away this rising tide of working people demanding their rights to be heard. I hope Mr. Hoffa grows a set of manly testicles overnight, and puts aside his prostitution of our Union for political votes,.....I hope it dawns on him that the Teamsters have a chance at REAL POWER,....not the squishy Beltway I'll-scratch-your-back-if-you-scratch-mine power brokering that goes on around Washington,......and I hope his sycophantic acolytes also get testicle-enhancement surgery,...and don't try and convince him that : "This is just a phase,.....They really won't be worth organizing......Too much trouble..." .......You want Redemption, Mess'r's Sweeton and Johnson? Go ORGANIZE these groups ,.....put aside the fire departments, water authorities, and nurses for a moment,.....all good groups,.....but the REAL POWER resides in the TRUCKING industry! Here's your chance to reverse 25 years of the damage de-regulation did to organized trucking. Get up off your plushy chairs,...get out of your plushy offices,......GET AWAY FROM YOUR TICKY-TACKY TWO-BIT LAWYERS,.....and get out in the field and ORGANIZE THE REAL BACKBONE OF THE TEAMSTERS!.... Here's your chance for a real Legacy to be proud of,.....not the broken-promise , broken-contract, incompetent legacy you have now........Or would you like to leave:"R.I.P. NMFA 1963 to 2013. Done In By The Son Of The Man Who Created You." the Legacy the Hoffa Jr. era leaves to organized Labor?

How long does the 15% give-back last at YRC?

2019, I believe......Or, at least,....it's reduced every year to the point it's negligible by then. Of course, the amount of pay raises YRC employees would've gotten,....plus the frozen pension from 2009,....is a cost that will never be recouped. If you regard truck drivers as a commodity,....like steel,...or ,..let's say "pork bellies",....yup, that sounds appropriate,........my opinion is that the benchmark price for the commodity "truck driver",....the wages and benefits of the now defunct NMFA,....was artificially manipulated,...lowered,....in anticipation of the severe driver shortage, by terrorization tactics and downright lies told to the rank-and-file to get them to accept a lower price for their labor. Whether the ATA developed this strategy, or a combination of trucking companies within the ATA did this,....and whether the Teamsters...."leadership'....was either incompetent,...or complicit,....doesn't matter. All that matters is that from this point on out,....wages and benefits will rise substantially for truck drivers.. The "commodity" was artificially lowered so that the wage rise would start from a lower point,....instead of the true cost of a truck driver with a clean CDL-A, HAZ/D/T/T,....which would've occurred if we,....both YRC and ABF,.....would've had honest negotiations instead of the slimy farce that went on during negotiations at both companies. Remember,...they broke up the NMFA. That's ALWAYS been one of the goals of the business owners.

So me which nonunion has the pay work rules and benefits and retirement and 401 of the so called disastrous UPSF contract and you're right they should stay nonunion...

I am delighted that the organizing has been successful. Constant negative comments about the IBT certainly won't help persuade others to sign cards & vote yes. If more carriers are organized it will help secure a better contract for all of us.

So me which nonunion has the pay work rules and benefits and retirement and 401 of the so called disastrous UPSF contract and you're right they should stay nonunion...

Well,.....you have a point. Maybe UPSF's contract wasn't as "disastrous" as the others. Still,...talking to my friends at UPSF,.....They wish that they had more input,...especially with healthcare.

I am delighted that the organizing has been successful. Constant negative comments about the IBT certainly won't help persuade others to sign cards & vote yes. If more carriers are organized it will help secure a better contract for all of us.

Yes,.....That's true, too. But, I'm just a Big Dummy Truck Driver,....and if I could see a massive driver shortage on the horizon,...one that should've played a key roll in negotiations,.....I have a hard time understanding how....."professional" negotiators....could've missed what's become the largest point in trucking,.....within a few months of the abovementioned contracts being signed. Make no mistake,....I am delighted, too. But I distinctly hope the IBT executive board can both live up to, and take responsibility for,.....these groups who want to organize. Let's not forget that the organizing at Con-Way and FedEx is being done spontaneously,....with very little input from the IBT prior to the cards being signed. As I said,....I hope the IBT realizes they have a true grass-roots movement going on,......and they have a moment in time to take control of this movement,.........And if they don't move quickly enough, and.....honestly .......deal with these groups,.....this movement will dry up quickly like a puddle in the sun.........This driver shortage,....coupled with outrage over corporate excesses,....has caught the business community flat-footed. They have no response,.........The proverbial ball is in the IBT's court.........

I am torn on this one. I hear what you say and I agree. But who is wrong? Those who commit the offenses or those who talk about them? To say that we should not discuss it infringes on our right to free speech. Does it not? And we can't improve conditions by sitting still and not trying. I would stick to the facts and the truth. Yes it is not perfect and there is need for improvement but even as it is workers are better off working under a union contract. IMO teachers are a perfect example to refer to. Our educated educators even see the need to be organized. I do not know of one public school system where the teachers are not union.

Well,.....you have a point. Maybe UPSF's contract wasn't as "disastrous" as the others. Still,...talking to my friends at UPSF,.....They wish that they had more input,...especially with healthcare.

Healthcare is better than the first contract and I suspect it will be better in the third contract. Maybe companies like FedEx and Conway can have better bargaining power because of our contract.
Compare our healthcare to FedEx and Conway which are nonunion and you have your answer...

Yes,.....That's true, too. But, I'm just a Big Dummy Truck Driver,....and if I could see a massive driver shortage on the horizon,...one that should've played a key roll in negotiations,.....I have a hard time understanding how....."professional" negotiators....could've missed what's become the largest point in trucking,.....within a few months of the abovementioned contracts being signed. Make no mistake,....I am delighted, too. But I distinctly hope the IBT executive board can both live up to, and take responsibility for,.....these groups who want to organize. Let's not forget that the organizing at Con-Way and FedEx is being done spontaneously,....with very little input from the IBT prior to the cards being signed. As I said,....I hope the IBT realizes they have a true grass-roots movement going on,......and they have a moment in time to take control of this movement,.........And if they don't move quickly enough, and.....honestly .......deal with these groups,.....this movement will dry up quickly like a puddle in the sun.........This driver shortage,....coupled with outrage over corporate excesses,....has caught the business community flat-footed. They have no response,.........The proverbial ball is in the IBT's court.........

The companies know the answer. But to pay drivers enough money & benefits to get someone on board, they would have to sell their winter home in Florida. And that would be enough to put a CEO in Pulmonary Thrombosis.

The more freightlines that are organized will level the playing field for organized lines (ABF & YRCW) & take away management's excuses in contract negotiations. With more dues paying members the pensions would become better funded. The organized carriers could attract the better employees with a decent contract.

We have to start somewhere. Build on it. The NMFA in no way resembled what it is today from yesterday.

Sent from my SGH-T399 using Tapatalk

When our contract at upsf was done, the lack of backbone when it came to the road was huge, i am sad to say that our lack of true teamsters at upsf started the whole contractor movement, if we would of had some backbone and said no on the 2nd vote, maybe, just maybe we would of not seen outside carriers at yrc abf pulling union freight. But when your B.A gives you the song n dance on how a 2nd no vote is a strike vote, and how the city n dockworkers didnt feel the same smack in the face as did the road drivers, maybe we would be talking about our contract as a victory, but we arent. And i will always say, there are still alot of guys at upsf that didnt want the union in in the 90's and still want no part of them now, they will always bleed blue n grey till they retire. And when most of them r out, and when the majority that will be there are guys who started when it was a union shop, maybe just maybe, we will all stand as one and not take the smack in our face on our knees. If fedex n conway become brothers then all of us stand a better chance of getting a fair deal

Every single one of you guys are making great points in the above posts! I am impressed by the amount of thought that went into each one........

The more freightlines that are organized will level the playing field for organized lines (ABF & YRCW) & take away management's excuses in contract negotiations. With more dues paying members the pensions would become better funded. The organized carriers could attract the better employees with a decent contract.
I agree except for the part about the pension. There are no new participants in our existing funds to my knowledge and given the state of them I don't foresee any in the future. Now, should they right that ship that could be another story but I am not optimistic about it.

There it is. The comment that I was waiting for. If more people would join, it would make it better for us. Not that you care what happens at Conway or FedEx, you just want them to join so you have better bargaining power. Can't leave the non-union carriers alone because you need them to make your contract better. Purely selfish. You could careless about my future and welfare, you just need my vote.