Yellow | Could you guys be bigger babies!

truckinokie

TB Lurker
Credits
Who cares which comes first? If it means so much to you RDWY guys then you can be first. I could not care less what they call it. As long as they work me and the check keeps clearing. I have been in this buss as 16 years. Not a long time for some but a very long time for others. I always thought the saying " The differince between a baby and a truck driver is that the baby will quit crying after a while." was just BS. But I guess I was wrong. If you are so well off that all you have to ***** about is the name on you check than you are working to much. Take a few months without one of thoes checks and see how much your attitude changes. Some of you RDWY guys should ask you managment why they let Yellow Corp buy them out. I read an artical that both companies thought that they would last longer together than apart. Neither company wanted to be the next CF. Get over yourselvs you are just truck drivers. As much as you would like to think that the world revoles around you I am here to reminde you IT DOESN'T!

guess it takes all kinds

Right there is the reason I think this board is going downhill . Talk about trying to start a fight !! I liked it better before the boards where merge.

First off, I'm with you in the fact that, at this point I just want US
to stay in business. The reason some guys complain so much, and yes
I have from time to time, is that we are so upset at the way Yellow runs
the show. Roadway has always been a debt free company, when we
gave money to a cause, IT WAS'NT WASTED ON A GOLFER OR RACE CAR!
It was given to St. Judes or some other good organization. Yes, at the old
Roadway we drove OLD JUNKY TRUCKS! We WERE debt free, now we drive
awesome NEW trucks and pull NEW trailers, the switchers have NEW yard tractors
and we even have these wonderful twin screw tractors that screw up the
jiff pool. I'm just saying that the way Roadway and Yellow run, or should I say RAN their operations is VERY DIFFERENT. I am with you brother in that I want US to remain strong
in the CRAZY LTL market. All I'm saying is that the pride I take in this job
and to an extent, our Union is going by the way. I will always have safety
as my first priority and just hope that the check don't bounce...

Pot or Kettle?

Sounds like to me a case of the pot calling the kettle black. I think its ok to vent on here, say whats on your mind and get it off your chest. People that keep all that hostilty bottled up are the ones that come to work and shoot everybody.

Thats the beautiful thing about this board and CB's they both have knobs that shut them off when you dont like whats being said.:smilie_132:

Sounds like to me a case of the pot calling the kettle black. I think its ok to vent on here, say whats on your mind and get it off your chest. People that keep all that hostilty bottled up are the ones that come to work and shoot everybody.

Thats the beautiful thing about this board and CB's they both have knobs that shut them off when you dont like whats being said.:smilie_132:

I agree with you Nite Rider. I don't mind reading the posts that are ablaze either.

First off, I'm with you in the fact that, at this point I just want US
to stay in business. The reason some guys complain so much, and yes
I have from time to time, is that we are so upset at the way Yellow runs
the show. Roadway has always been a debt free company, when we
gave money to a cause, IT WAS'NT WASTED ON A GOLFER OR RACE CAR!
It was given to St. Judes or some other good organization. Yes, at the old
Roadway we drove OLD JUNKY TRUCKS! We WERE debt free, now we drive
awesome NEW trucks and pull NEW trailers, the switchers have NEW yard tractors
and we even have these wonderful twin screw tractors that screw up the
jiff pool. I'm just saying that the way Roadway and Yellow run, or should I say RAN their operations is VERY DIFFERENT. I am with you brother in that I want US to remain strong
in the CRAZY LTL market. All I'm saying is that the pride I take in this job
and to an extent, our Union is going by the way. I will always have safety
as my first priority and just hope that the check don't bounce...

Very well said !! We went from a debt free company before Yellow took over , to the brink of bankruptcy . WTF do you expect people to say ? Looks to me like Zollers and the gang is running this company into the ground.

My turn to bawl

I joined the ranks when the company was called Yellow Forwarding. I have been around long enough to have met 1 of the 3 Powell's (GPII) I remember the hand shake and him looking me in the eye when he asked my name. When he left that day he said goodbye and knew us all by name. He thanked us for how hard we worked. What we have today is a far cry from that.

It is now a big corporation and all we are is a number. The executives in this company treat us as such because that is all they know. By setting different department goals, and by rewarding each different department for meeting that goal, they have successfuly erected walls between the departments. Instead of working together to meet a common goal they have forced each department to compete against each other. I shouldn't say forced. Greed compells them. If you show me a manager that won't slit anothers throat and pad his number to attain that goal and receive a bonus, I will kiss your ***.

I see this on a daily basis at our terminal. Here is a simple example. The dock forman knows he should back a header trailer into the dock to load multiple shipments together for city delivery. But if he does that it may affect his hostling numbers or perhaps his dock production numbers so he doesn't do anything and leaves it for the next foreman to deal with. The next foreman doesn't back it in either due to cut time and loads the freight onto another trailer along with a few bills that were on the dock and closes it. The remaining freight that was left on the dock is loaded onto an empty that is already at the dock. Now we have three trailers for that area and multiple bills for 1 stop on each trailer. When the second trailer was pulled from the dock the foreman remembers it had a bad door and has the hostler take it to the shop. The shop foreman doesn't want to repair it and is hoping that the city driver will take it so he has the hostler drop it in the yard. The driver hooks the trailer and realizes that the door won't go up and takes it to the shop. The door is in bad shape and it takes over an hour to repair. The driver leaves the yard and gets to his first stop where he finds 1 yellow truck at the dock and another waiting to back in.

I apologize for being so long winded and that was not a joke. It happens every day at our terminal! It would be nice if our executives knew freight. They know numbers. They preach teamwork and divide management and labor.
The labor that has forgotten more about this business than they will ever know. They worry about those precious numbers. Those numbers won't mean a thing if we don't have customers.

Who cares which comes first? If it means so much to you RDWY guys then you can be first. I could not care less what they call it. As long as they work me and the check keeps clearing. I have been in this buss as 16 years. Not a long time for some but a very long time for others. I always thought the saying " The differince between a baby and a truck driver is that the baby will quit crying after a while." was just BS. But I guess I was wrong. If you are so well off that all you have to ***** about is the name on you check than you are working to much. Take a few months without one of thoes checks and see how much your attitude changes. Some of you RDWY guys should ask you managment why they let Yellow Corp buy them out. I read an artical that both companies thought that they would last longer together than apart. Neither company wanted to be the next CF. Get over yourselvs you are just truck drivers. As much as you would like to think that the world revoles around you I am here to reminde you IT DOESN'T!

Management had nothing to do with the buyout. It was the stockholders who let YRC buy roadway for almost double what the current stock was worth at that time.

Management had nothing to do with the buyout. It was the stockholders who let YRC buy roadway for almost double what the current stock was worth at that time.

who cares be thankful you have a job let all bond together and make this the best damn new company out there :1036316054:yellow roadway yellowroadway its only a name so let make yellow roadway a great name :smilie_132:

who cares be thankful you have a job let all bond together and make this the best damn new company out there :1036316054:yellow roadway yellowroadway its only a name so let make yellow roadway a great name :smilie_132:

Thats exactly what i plan on doing and have been for 22 years. Just trying to coeect the crybaby you all are talking about.

Be thankful for what you have, it can always be worse. Hug your children, grandchildren, kiss your beautiful wife, call the old man up, and tell your mother you love her. These our the things that are really important. God bless each and everyone of you.

You hit the nail.

It all comes down to money. The shareholders made a killing and the bosses kept their jobs.

Most of you guys knew that some kind of merger would take place someday. It was inevitable. When any two companies merge there will always be animosity among the ranks. Seeing the current situation of economics *WORLDWIDE* the only thing we can do is ride out the storm.
I was listening to an economics proffessor from the University of Berlin (Germany) and he was trying to put the current world statis in some kind of layman's terms. He said it is like watching a forest fire burn out of control. We keep putting manpower, water, chemicals, planes, helicopters, bull dozers and money into trying to stop the fire. He said let it burn itself out, because after the smoke clears we have new growth and a better forest. And to tell you the truth I believe he is right.

I was listening to an economics proffessor from the University of Berlin (Germany) and he was trying to put the current world statis in some kind of layman's terms. He said it is like watching a forest fire burn out of control. We keep putting manpower, water, chemicals, planes, helicopters, bull dozers and money into trying to stop the fire. He said let it burn itself out, because after the smoke clears we have new growth and a better forest. And to tell you the truth I believe he is right.

That is a very interesting and accurate perspective on the whole mess and if the working class was the very ones calling the shots; I think it would work. However, the problem is they are not and the people that are could careless about anything other then their pockets. Profit over people wins the day, everyday in a world where lying is not viewed or seen as lying, but as business skills... :shades:

wishy washy.

as a guy who took machroeconomics in night school for a semester the german professor is right.

pumping money into the system now only skews the recovery into an unnatural state that will have to be 'fixed' over and over again.

not to politicize your comment but, all that forest fire equipment is being used to bail out the major contributors to the current political power structure.

paulson's first job on getting out of business school was working as an aide to john erlichman in the nixon white house and we just mandated this guy to be in charge of the 'recovery'.

talk about a fox in the henhouse.

I've been saying the same thing all along Wishy Washy. Trickle Down economics does not work. At least what it trickles on those at the bottom isn't usually wanted. If you properly managed your money, you should be able to survive a collapse of the rich people. So they've stripped the workingman blind and now we'll reward them by us picking up the tab. Trust me, if they are so scared, they'll start shoving money back in to protect their investments. I support a Dividend Reinvestment Act. You can deduct all the money you put back into these companies that you previously stripped out of them.

I joined the ranks when the company was called Yellow Forwarding. I have been around long enough to have met 1 of the 3 Powell's (GPII) I remember the hand shake and him looking me in the eye when he asked my name. When he left that day he said goodbye and knew us all by name. He thanked us for how hard we worked. What we have today is a far cry from that.

It is now a big corporation and all we are is a number. The executives in this company treat us as such because that is all they know. By setting different department goals, and by rewarding each different department for meeting that goal, they have successfuly erected walls between the departments. Instead of working together to meet a common goal they have forced each department to compete against each other. I shouldn't say forced. Greed compells them. If you show me a manager that won't slit anothers throat and pad his number to attain that goal and receive a bonus, I will kiss your ***.

I see this on a daily basis at our terminal. Here is a simple example. The dock forman knows he should back a header trailer into the dock to load multiple shipments together for city delivery. But if he does that it may affect his hostling numbers or perhaps his dock production numbers so he doesn't do anything and leaves it for the next foreman to deal with. The next foreman doesn't back it in either due to cut time and loads the freight onto another trailer along with a few bills that were on the dock and closes it. The remaining freight that was left on the dock is loaded onto an empty that is already at the dock. Now we have three trailers for that area and multiple bills for 1 stop on each trailer. When the second trailer was pulled from the dock the foreman remembers it had a bad door and has the hostler take it to the shop. The shop foreman doesn't want to repair it and is hoping that the city driver will take it so he has the hostler drop it in the yard. The driver hooks the trailer and realizes that the door won't go up and takes it to the shop. The door is in bad shape and it takes over an hour to repair. The driver leaves the yard and gets to his first stop where he finds 1 yellow truck at the dock and another waiting to back in.

I apologize for being so long winded and that was not a joke. It happens every day at our terminal! It would be nice if our executives knew freight. They know numbers. They preach teamwork and divide management and labor.
The labor that has forgotten more about this business than they will ever know. They worry about those precious numbers. Those numbers won't mean a thing if we don't have customers.

Damn, man! You just hit a home run. This is the best post I have read in months. You nailed it in four simple paragraphs. This is exactly the management philosophy at Yellow. Sad but true...