FedEx Freight | Cummins X15, Eaton trans, ADB, Wingman

After 38 years of driving trucks, we don’t give a rat’s ass what they look like.
My old Volvo rode so much better than this newer KW.
I agree, the Paccar’s ride like a dump truck while the Volvo glides like a Caddy...and the Volvo’s will turn on a dime, you need a 50 acre field to turn a Pete and the KW’s not much better.

Then comes the interior...nothing is where it should be in a KW/Pete, it’s like the interior was laid out by a blind man, and although nothing much has changed with the Volvo, it doesn’t have to. The Volvo's interior is ergonomically designed where everything can be reached from the driver’s seat without having to lean forward or side to side...the way it should be.

And lastly the power train...the Volvo’s I-shift tranny is the bomb, hands down!! The D-13 has plenty of power and when matched together they’re great. The Paccar’s leave a lot to be desired...we only have one of the new test Pete’s with the new X-15 with the new Eaton 12 speed tranny’s and from what the driver says, it’s not as bad as the rest of the Paccar’s. The new 12 speed is pneumatic like the I-shift (Eaton is finally catching up) but it’s not as good from what I hear. The main knock on the Paccar’s are the ECM’s inability to give the Cummings fuel once you hit a hill...for some reason it drops to 62-63 mph before the fuel kicks in and by then you’re dead in the water...but that “should” be an easy fix.

The disc brakes are excellent, nice update!! :1036316054:

The Wingman...don’t get me started!! :17113:

With all of that being said and with all of the trucks I've driven since being with this company, I’d take a Volvo any day of the week and twice on Sundays...and yes, we used to work Sundays!!

Last edited:
You drugstore cowboys wouldn't know a real truck if it bit you in the butt.
9000 White, Reyco pusher axle, 10 spd, NHE 195 Cummins, top speed, 55mph, no ac,44k South Fla in July or Aug.

That will make you sass your grandma.

I hate the Volvo's I think they are cheaply made.
No question, fit and finish is better on the Pete/KW. Following distance indication is better too, but... for actual function, the Volvo is more comfortable, more room, better maneuverability, more straight forward/intuitive. Controls are exactly where you want them. Simplest example: 4 way flashers. Why should you have to climb back into the cab, just to activate the 4 ways?

I can see the Pete/KW being really good for line haul. They seem to run great/track well on the highway/interstate.

And lastly the power train...the Volvo’s I-shift tranny is the bomb, hands down!! The D-13 has plenty of power and when matched together they’re great. The Paccar’s leave a lot to be desired...we only have one of the new test Pete’s with the new X-15 with the new Eaton 12 speed tranny’s and from what the driver says, it’s not as bad as the rest of the Paccar’s.

Absolutely! The Volvo package drives significantly better.

I have to wonder what kind of so called "upgrades" they are doing, in terms of programming. My Volvo/X-15/Eaton 10 speed started out pretty good. After a trip or two to the shop (service/sensors), it performs worse. Clutch engagement is generally abrupt, and inconsistent. The most used feature, especially when backing? Hill Assist Cancel Switch.

CT must be a city trucker. We were told in a meeting this morning that there are 13,000 lazy city drivers, and 8,000 road drivers who are the back bone of the company, without whom, 13,000 lazy city drivers and the other 19,000 assorted employee's wouldn't be able to milk a paycheck out of this Purple and Orange dairy Cow.

Or that's the way us road drivers heard it. The city drivers in the meeting might tell a different tale.

ST

CT must be a city trucker. We were told in a meeting this morning that there are 13,000 lazy city drivers, and 8,000 road drivers who are the back bone of the company, without whom, 13,000 lazy city drivers and the other 19,000 assorted employee's wouldn't be able to milk a paycheck out of this Purple and Orange dairy Cow.

Or that's the way us road drivers heard it. The city drivers in the meeting might tell a different tale.

ST

Road drivers have it tuff I don't know how you manage to hook you're set then drive to where you're going with out falling asleep it's so tuff. :notworthy::clap:

Road drivers have it tuff I don't know how you manage to hook you're set then drive to where you're going with out falling asleep it's so tuff. :notworthy::clap:
No problem at all for this driver, the voices keep my awake.
Not a problem for many night drivers that share a tractor with various city drivers with questionable hygiene. Hard to sleep when you’re gagging and retching because your tractor smells so bad.

I like the ride of the KW R189xx vs the somewhat dated KW R145xx.
I had a old Volvo 468xx great pulling power but such a harsh ride.
Petes pull decent and I like how you can turn on the enjine and upshift it to 3rd and it automatically defaults back to third when you stop. Also like how the Pete's has an aggressive flash/tune to the tranny it'll skip gears if you're bobtailing. On the cons side I hate the interior layout . It's cramped don't like the amber lighting and some buttons aren't backlit. It reminds me of a cross between an international and the ol' KW 1700900.

Last edited:
1700438 was a real road drivers tractor. 2 large airbags like the Volvo gave a decent ride. Awesome jakes and good pulling power. Brand new Eldorado seat.
Better stop thinking about it, might need to touch myself.

No problem at all for this driver, the voices keep my awake.
Not a problem for many night drivers that share a tractor with various city drivers with questionable hygiene. Hard to sleep when you’re gagging and retching because your tractor smells so bad.

Just don't sniff the seat and you will be fine.