ODFL | Daylight Linehaul

Don't worry BRG. Billy is the best city man OD has, just ask him. He doesn't think road drivers are needed because city drivers can do it better.
If road drivers don't do their job, we cannot do ours. If city drivers, and dock don't do their jobs, road drivers cannot do theirs. We ARE each other's customers....

Some of us don't like or want a day run. Running nights I've got to watch and coach all my kids games and school activities. I get to spend evenings at home and get some stuff done when I get off work.
When I'm working nights no traffic, weigh stations, or sun. I do a lot of two lane highway so I get more miles at night also

In 2005 at the time of the buy out OD had a mishmash of old and some new equipment,they went on an amazing purchasing spree starting in '05 lasting till '07 a lot of people apparently don't remember the 581-584 trailers mostly FRPs (fiberglass reinforced plywood)and the old Sears trailers that had 102"wide boxes and 96" wide axles and most of the tractors were'98-00 FLD's with Cummins powerthat soon disappeared with the new Cat's. WSKT's tractors were newer,had radios,and pulled better.

Seems that in 08 we got no new power out here.Salaries were frozen as well.09 and 10 we got the first wave of Cascadians all with Detroit's as far as I know.That may be just our here in Cali though.

From my perspective daylight runs aren't all that special. As the #3 man on our board, I have 3 day runs available to me, all Tues-Sat. schedules. I much prefer my Sun.- Thurs 2300 schedule as it allows a family life the only difference being that as they end their days I begin mine. As it is I covet no run and really don't feel that a day schedule would allow any more bragging rights than I have now.

Don't know anyone that would call a sterling a good truck. Never saw a trailer with a name on it that wasn't faded. Luckily your owner sold you out to a much better outfit. Doubt you'd be making the same if they were still around. 2008 probably would've done wskt in if we didn't come and pick them up.

whats up with all these foreign ltl drivers posting here? Sign an app and come onboard if you have an opinion about me otherwise keep working at yrc driving the most crappiest equipment on the road or that Canadian company that requires you to wear a turban before getting behind the wheel.

Interesting how some of you comment on nights giving you more of a family life. I guess this has more to do with having certain days off on a night schedule? Most of our day schedules are Tues-Sat, most nights are Mon-Fri. Granted, my wife stays at home with the kids (thanks OD!), so the days off I get don't really have to gel with the work schedule of a spouse. Not having to flip my schedule on the weekends anymore gives me more time with the family. And the time that I do have, I'm not like a zombie.

There are things about nights I do like, and miss, but I don't miss being tired all the time. Funny how drivers who switch to days comment on how they're not tired anymore. I think when you run nights for so long, you get used to it and don't remember what it's like to get good rest anymore. I know that as soon as I went days, it felt like a different job. More traffic for me is worth sleeping at night. And during winter weather, I'd rather have better visibility.

Thanks for contributing info on your terminal Dean. My curiosity on daylight linehaul availability at other terminals is what started this thread. We have 108 schedules at our terminal (not counting wild turn, wild bag, or team schedules). We have over 25 daylight schedules, ranging from early morning up to around 1400. Most are in the morning from 0900-1100. Then we also have about a dozen day wild turn "schedules." Like I said before, drivers with about a year seniority can land a day wild turn, and at around the 2+ year mark you can start to get a daylight schedule.

whats up with all these foreign ltl drivers posting here? Sign an app and come onboard if you have an opinion about me otherwise keep working at yrc driving the most crappiest equipment on the road or that Canadian company that requires you to wear a turban before getting behind the wheel.
Cause I can dare you stop me keyboard Rambo.

I can post wherever I like, Billy, and so can you. There are no rules that say otherwise. And I'll have you know that I left FedEx Freight for this outfit, to say nothing of your insinuations.

The only job I could get at OD would be running freight north into my own country because they otherwise don't exist here, and since they can't guarantee me that job, they can't hire me. If you stepped outside of your umbrella once in a while, you'd know that.

You guys want a real daytime run you get out of bed, come to work and do the 300+ mile city turn with 20 stops. All daylight, pure skill and efficient performance required.

Your woman going to love the man you become when you can run with the big dogs like me out in the city.

You guys want a real daytime run you get out of bed, come to work and do the 300+ mile city turn with 20 stops. All daylight, pure skill and efficient performance required.

Your woman going to love the man you become when you can run with the big dogs like me out in the city.
Yet you only do volume loads so you might as well be line haul

Interesting how some of you comment on nights giving you more of a family life. I guess this has more to do with having certain days off on a night schedule?

Probably. Also depends on the distance you have to drive. When I was on the shortest run we've got, I had all kinds of time to do whatever I wanted and was home on the weekends. Now that my run takes 12 hours to complete due to delays and traffic I can still do some things but only getting 4 hours of sleep is not something you can operate on every day.