ABF | Did ABF buy USF?

There are alot of you at ABF that have no idea what that is like because you were lucky enough to be working for a company that knows what they are doing.

don't be misled brother abf management is just as bad
the big differences are these
abf is not as large a company as yrc therefore a lot less expensive to run and easier to manage
the bigger you are the more costs incuurred and more difficult to manage
the abf / carolina "almost" fiasco is a perfect example
the first 6 months of the merge abf was losing 10 -15 million a month
they sucked the big one in intergrating the two carriers
in the ny nj area for example if the union didn't allow abf to close terminals like carolina newark and more importantly declare them duplicate operations abf would have bit the big one long ago
in this one case alone 180 former carolina guys were cut loose with no where to go
that was only one example of others
it took them a long time to recover and recreate the illusion of a well run company
and i stress the use of the word "illusion"
give the credit where credit is really due
the teamsters involved
we made the company what it is thru hard work and pride
sure the "mucky mucks" may have set the path but we made their ideas work and become reality

in yrc's case and put very simply, despite a very good workforce their mucky mucks may have made too many braindead decsions for their workers to overcome
they misjudged what we are capable of and more or less placed a burden on us that may prove insurmountable
i will not count out yrc's teamsters yet
they may be down but they are not out
in abf 's case the damage was containable which afforded an opportunity for us to prevail
hopefully yrc's teamsters can prevail

The Carolina move should have put ABF out of Biz. But the 'mucky muks' prevailed.
The Carolina fiasco is one that will NOT be repeated, so USF Holland can only dream that someone 'like' ABF would buy them. By the way, what was Zollars thinking in buying Roadway? He destroyed one proud company (Roadway).

thank you gentlemen
the person in question must be part of the original abf management team who felt offended by my post
or he partakes in the "koolaide" that is currently being passed around

ABF sold USA many years ago to Breck Speed. Breck was an inlaw. He was married to Marilyn Young, sister to R.A. Young III. She passed away at an early age, (late thirties). She was a wonderful lady.
ABF sold Cardinal which was part of the WorldWay Corporation acquisition. Cardinal was the only subsidary of the acquisition that was profitable.
I don't think that ABF will buy anything that has to be merged into the existing operation. There is always problems with dovetailing seniority. Employees from the acquired companies always have hard feelings toward the company & employees from the surviving company resent losing seniority. I have been through these & it takes years to turn a company from bleeding red to a profitable business.

Thank you for the information. This should put a lot of rumors and assumptions to rest.

thank you gentlemen
the person in question must be part of the original abf management team who felt offended by my post
or he partakes in the "koolaide" that is currently being passed around

OK ..it is lemon-lime (Green/Gold) Kool-ade..sugar sweetened-no articial sugars. You must be one of the NY/NJ guys that got to keep their job thru the acquisition?

OK ..it is lemon-lime (Green/Gold) Kool-ade..sugar sweetened-no articial sugars. You must be one of the NY/NJ guys that got to keep their job thru the acquisition?

your screen name says it all:biglaugh:
fyi- merger not acquisition
refer to one of my early posts on the subject for clarification
for everyone who believes carolina was losing money correct your beliefs
carolina was bordering on profitabilty, their bottom line for several years was around + 5 mil or so
this was due to the brainstorming ideas of management
they spent over 55 mil in a 7 year period on major changes of ops (40 mil in one change alone) which soaked up both potential profits and real profits
back then a major trucking company's bottom line was considered good if they made 10-20 mil a year as opposed to the enormous profits posted today
need i say more!!!!!
i was carolina and was in jeopardy for a long period of time and did have seniority
in the ny nj area the dovetail was not as bad as lets say in florida
reason being carolina was in florida forever and abf was a new player there
in ny nj carolina was present longer (late 60's) abf early 80's
so what did you expect?
in ny nj most abf guys only lost some seniority slots
guys with less than 2-3yrs on both sides got hammered equally
guys with 5 -10 yrs walked regularly with little OT
remember "seniority prevails"

i will refresh your memory a little
before the merger young & abf's president petitoned the national change of ops committee for exceptions to the seniority application to which they were denied
truth is they knew going in what that meant to many of their workers in areas where carolina was entrenched for a longer period (one of many examples being Fl)
young & co attempted to rewrite the contract where it pertains to mergers and were highly unsuccessful
their workers bore the brunt of their failure
for the record the abf guys blamed the carolina guys along with the IBT instead of where placing that blame truly belongs-on management
most of the abf guys and not all i encountered were brainwashed back then and bought into management's "we are family" propaganda
i guess that is why they now require you to drink kool-ade prior to any brainstorms
so much for that
you may not agree with me and that's OK with me but i lived it, researched it and followed it sister

if abf buys anything from yrc it will more than likely be new penn
new penn's freight (next day, 2 day) fits like a glove into abf's rpm program
new penn is profitable and has most of the hardest working teamsters in the industry so intergration would be ideal
it would enhance abf's northeast ops immeasurably
problem is, given yrc's condition they may require abf to take holland off their hands in the deal also which may prove to be a sticking point
even though holland's freight is similar to new penn's
intergrating holland and new penn at the same time may prove to be too much of a problem
management can't walk and chew gum and has the tendency to muck up a good thing so that may prove to be a sticking point

big steve, as much as I would like to see this happen for the New Penn & Holland Teamsters, I think that their withdrawal liabilities would be a deal breaker.

big steve, as much as I would like to see this happen for the New Penn & Holland Teamsters, I think that their withdrawal liabilities would be a deal breaker.

yes i also agree
in reality the withdrawal liability is only a number on paper
although it does impact the company's bottom line it is still only due IF THEY WITHDRAW
if the companies approach it from that viewpoint it won't break the deal, on the otherhand well you know........

the withdrawal liabilty though is a neccessary deterent put in place to stop any arbitrary & unilateral moves by the company with a good example being what conway just pulled on their workers (and they made over 500 mil profit last year)
so just think what kind of crap ::shit:: abf would pull if they could:nutkick:

it seems it is a neccessary "evil" , one we cannot afford to be without
these companies are their own worst enemy:nutkick:

after thinking about the possibilities a little more and
knowing abf management,
they will probably do absolutely nothing in acquiring holland or new penn or both
they will probably sit back like a vulture and hope for the worst
since yrc is in trouble abf more than likely figures they'll wait and instead of spending money to get holland's and new penn's freight they'll get a good portion of it if yrc goes belly up without the heavy costs associated with intergration (which would be the real incentive)
several other incentive factors to "wait & see" are
1- no additional pension withdrawal liability added to what they now have
2- hiring additional men at reduced contract rates to handle any higher freight levels
3- not inheriting men with 3,4,& 5 weeks of vacation

hopefully someone else buys them and spoils abf's plan

I heard that J.B. Hunt wanted to get into the LTL business. USF would be the perfect company for them to buy!!!!:shift:
I bet that does soound as good as abf huh :TR10driving03:

just a bunch of b.s rumors i suppose:ranting2:everyone wants to get out from under yrcw i think we are making stuff up in our heads:horse:

I heard that J.B. Hunt wanted to get into the LTL business. USF would be the perfect company for them to buy!!!!:shift:
I bet that does soound as good as abf huh :TR10driving03:

JB has been in the LTL in a limited sense. They pull some pups also. Few of them but they do. My neighbor has pulled them.

I work at 033 Rotator and just like Cracker said just a bunch of B.S Rumors .I hope YRC don't go under i want to retire at 52 with 30 - thats the plan.