Holland | Did i blow my interview?

rtm457 said:
He's got to get hired at Holland, he sounds like some of the other genuises they've hired recently.
Experience lately is not one of the qualifications needed for employment at Holland lately. Figure that out. GRIZZ

:USA:
Dirtball said:
After what they did to the Red Star guys.Yeah I'll continue to sell them down the road as much as possible. I'm retired now because I was good enough for Yellow freight ( they let me get my time in so I could retire). But from what I hear from my friends that work for holland ,I really don't think I was lying.

I take it you weren't paying attention to what was going on in the USF system for quite a while then?
HOLLAND did nothing to Red Star.... NOTHING other than reemploy many of their drivers and city men. IMHO, USF and the Eastern Conference of th IBT "did it to them" to facilitate the buyout of USF by YRC.
You seem to forget Red Star had been operating at an O/R of over 100 (as high as 111 at one time) for many YEARS...... now if not forthe USF system being bolstered by Holland's record growth and profits (O/R's in the high 80's & low 90's for the same period) USF would have probably closed their (RS) doors much sooner....... Now, again, just how bad did "Holland" treat you guys?
Most of the RS guys I talk to find Holland does thing different but once acclimated they like it just fine...... You from Balt. or Philly?

It's all over now though.... Hope you have a long and enjoyable retirement Brother, you earned it.
:USA: :USA:

roadrage said:
12pack,I currently live in North Mississippi but i'am moving to Ohio this is why i traveled 655 miles.Under normal presumption one would not pay the $120.00-$150.00 to get a hazmat if they can not get a job using it.

Roadrage,
A hazmat endorsement is a requrement with ANY union or non-union LTL carrier that I am aware of because we haul everything. If you'd have done a bit of research and planning you could have renewed before May I believe it was and only had to pay for the test and a license renewal.
What your complaining about is like a Mechanic not wanting to buy tools before finding a job..... not much chance of being hired there either. Bite the bullet, get the endorsement, or settle for 30 cents a mile and no bennies.:poster_oops: :USA:

2631 said:
You are probably right about Holland just doing what it was told by USF Corp.

Former Red Star management doing the hiring of former Red Star Teamsters to work in former Red Star terminals doing former Red Star work with former Red Star equipment

And with a written agreement between Holland & the IBT as to how the rehiring was to be done

Maybe arrogant isn't the right word but when qualified men were denied a job & the only reason given was "you are not Holland material" then if not arrogance then what.

I only brought this up in response to Grizz's comment about Holland not leaving a good man hanging

And as a vested Holland employee I cannot count the number of times I was told quite arrogantly when traveling east "that isn't the way we do things at Red Star"..... I bit my lip for several weeks then finally started responding with, "But Red Star went under didn't they?" Why would a profitable company just hire back "everybody" from a money losing company who operated at a drastic loss (as high as 11%) for 5-10 years. Makes more sense to hire those who has good work and perfomance records and leave the "chaf" behind. Esspecially when you're forced to pay out $4-8K per year more than any other new hires!?
With the way freight companies come and go, I have many friends who've went though this "new start" thing several times and NONE had the benefit of rehiring at the same rate a someone with 6 months senority!

If the few of you who whine so much would put as much effort into work as you do biting the hand with the paycheck R/S would probably still be around.:censored2:

GTA said:
You from Balt. or Philly?
It's all over now though.... Hope you have a long and enjoyable retirement Brother, you earned it.
I was out of the Harrisburg terminal...You are correct about it being over now.We just get on with our lives.The whole mess could have been handled differently,But History is History and so my only revenge now is just to refuse to do any business with USF and holland.Good luck with your job and your future with them.I truly do hope it works ok for ya.

GTA said:
And as a vested Holland employee I cannot count the number of times I was told quite arrogantly when traveling east "that isn't the way we do things at Red Star".....
Maybe arrogance breeds arrogance
GTA said:
I bit my lip for several weeks then finally started responding with, "But Red Star went under didn't they?" Why would a profitable company just hire back "everybody" from a money losing company who operated at a drastic loss (as high as 11%) for 5-10 years. Makes more sense to hire those who has good work and perfomance records and leave the "chaf" behind. Esspecially when you're forced to pay out $4-8K per year more than any other new hires!?
With the way freight companies come and go, I have many friends who've went though this "new start" thing several times and NONE had the benefit of rehiring at the same rate a someone with 6 months senority!

My posts were based on 2 GOOD workers with GOOD performance records and were not considered "chaf". Yet after passing all of Holland's hiring criteria & being told to report for work on opening day, they received a call the friday before telling them not to report on tuesday because they " were not Holland material"

RSEL was a well run, family owned, money making union carrier long before TNT/USF turned them into the money losing company you refer to. Red Star had an O.R. of 78 back in the late 1970's.Thats why TNT bought them. Today Red Star could have been just as good as New Penn & Holland if USF had ran it correctly
It wasn't the men that ran USF Red Star into the ground. And Red Star didn't go under, USF shut them down.

How was Holland forced to pay Red Star men more? I thought that Holland entered into an agreement with the IBT to give the Red Star men preferencial consideration in rehiring. How did Jr. & Tyson J. force Holland into anything ?

GTA said:
If the few of you who whine so much would put as much effort into work as you do biting the hand with the paycheck R/S would probably still be around.:censored2:

Again I say it wasn't the men that made USF Red Star unprofitable. If USF had wanted Red Star to still be around they should have given us the proper upper management & tools to do so.

i worked at redstar out on long island,i have papers on long island opr,we were working in the 86,making14 cents on dollar, other terminals doeing well also its a profit /and lose state ment from old tm from 2000and 2001 we were making money,who wanted us too lose money was usf so they could bring in holland with ther work rules this is only my opinion

GTA said:
This cencored opinion really got to me.

Talk about someone walking around with blinders on & drinking koolade. Keep on believing the company line.

In my opinion, your opinion is a crock of :Cow-Pie:

interview

Just pay the 150 bucks and get the hazmat. If you don't get hired at holland, you will need it anyway for a different company. If you really want to drive, you should get that taken care of first. It takes a bit of time now with the new requirements. No company in ltl is going to put you on without it-It sucks having to put money out first before you get a job, but you will make up for it when you get your first paycheck. Sometimes ya gotta spend money to make it, and being the real estate expert, you know what I mean right?

jimbalya said:
2631 i just agreed with u so whys my opinion a croc of b/s
I think he was responding to this post.

GTA said:

SHOOKEYS, I do appreciate your advice,although i don't know about the real estate expert part of your comment.Made decent money when i sold but the rental business part of the business will test the patience of the best! i agree about spending money to make money,no doubt.Maybe i did not state my point clear enough when i first posted.One hundred fifty dollars for the haz-mat endorsement is not the problem it is the TIME it takes to get them,I work approx. 70 hours a week driving and the rest of the time is training new employees from scratch how to operate and pass state exam in-order to recieve CDL.In other words i would have to take time off from work to take the written exam,then another day to get fingerprints I have explained this to other ltl companies and they have all been understanding.If you take two days off with this company you better have three doctors letters. Is it so hard as a tm to say get your documents and haz-mats within two weeks and there is a good chance we will hire you if everything checks out? it is not as if i'am a slob as some of these otr drivers appear. I played college football and i'am still in great shape and i have excellent background.Thanks for all replies.

Dirtball said:
After what they did to the Red Star guys.Yeah I'll continue to sell them down the road as much as possible. I'm retired now because I was good enough for Yellow freight ( they let me get my time in so I could retire). But from what I hear from my friends that work for holland ,I really don't think I was lying.

That's right, kick the company that reemployed most of Red Star and go to work for Yellow... The company that orchestrated the shut down to facilitate their take-over..... think with your "brain" much?
Holland needed/needs GOOD people in these Eastern locations that know the operations and freight. I doubt any were turned away because of "perfect" work and employment histories.

2631 said:
This cencored opinion really got to me.

Talk about someone walking around with blinders on & drinking koolade. Keep on believing the company line.

In my opinion, your opinion is a crock of :Cow-Pie:

A-OKay with me brother.... I was subjected to the same attitudes like your's from the first day I went east... and I was one of the first! THIS treatment by your lily-white and wonderful Eastern Teamsters is what formed my opinon of Red Star employees.
Blinders, Kool-Aid, and the Company line? Ha! Hardly...I just don't delude myself.
You fools keep blaming Holland when it was YRC/Yellow that wanted you gone before the buy out...... The corp. that wanted/made you gone is the one you praise and the one who put a lot of you to work you villianize?....Don't make much sense?

jimbalya said:
i worked at redstar out on long island,i have papers on long island opr,we were working in the 86,making14 cents on dollar, other terminals doeing well also its a profit /and lose state ment from old tm from 2000and 2001 we were making money,who wanted us too lose money was usf so they could bring in holland with ther work rules this is only my opinion

The Long Island Term might have been profitable but the Red Star System was losing money. This was well documented for many years by many sources. Why would a company operating in the mid 80's be targeted for closure? Makes absolutely no sense.

GTA said:
A-OKay with me brother.... I was subjected to the same attitudes like your's from the first day I went east... and I was one of the first! THIS treatment by your lily-white and wonderful Eastern Teamsters is what formed my opinon of Red Star employees.
I can't figure out where you are coming from with a statement like this. How would you know anything about my attitude ?

I got involved with this thread by defending 2 former Red Star drivers that had been approved by Holland to start work on the day Holland opened the philly terminal. But 3 days before the opening they were called at home & told not to report for work because they were not Holland material.

It is my opinion that Holland refused 2 good workers a job even though they had past all of qualifications that Holland required for employment. And even though Holland had signed an agreement with the IBT giving them preference in being rehired.

You are entitled to your opinion but to blame all lily-white and wonderful eastern Teamsters for whatever you don't like about someones attitude doesn't make any sense to me.

It is also my opinion that you don't know anything about former Red Star employees or the facts that led up to USF's closing of Red Star

GTA said:
Blinders, Kool-Aid, and the Company line? Ha! Hardly...I just don't delude myself.
You fools keep blaming Holland when it was YRC/Yellow that wanted you gone before the buy out...... The corp. that wanted/made you gone is the one you praise and the one who put a lot of you to work you villianize?....Don't make much sense?
I think that you should go back & reread the posts that you are replying to because you are either confused or you do "delude yourself"

What fools keep blaming Holland for anything other than the way they rehired the Red Star drivers ? Villianize ??? You don't make any sense.

2631 we do not blame holland for closing redstar, rite this guy has no idear what hes talking about, i work for abf now best job for making money,as for yellow and that whole deal,would rather be at abf then there,nothing bad about yellow , but they own too much something happens, alot of people will take a fall,as for usf hiring ,holland not onlong island,2007, the deal for hiring us is gone,as far as the 2000 teamsters at redstar that lost ther jobs may be 100,got teamster jobs may be alil more

Dirtball said:
Dirtball Stop villianizing Holland with your lily-white and wonderful eastern Teamsters attitude.

You must be deludeing yourself if you think that Holland abused those arrogant Red Star drivers during the expansion rehiring process.

Just STOP IT

GTA said:
:USA:

Most of the RS guys I talk to find Holland does thing different but once acclimated they like it just fine...... You from Balt. or Philly?

You have me confused . Is this your opinion of Red Star drivers ?

GTA said:
Or is this your opinion of them ?

Blinders...Koolade... Deluded...