ABF | Do we want tyson or someone else negotiating for us?

Do you want johnson or someone else in charge?

• Total voters
Maybe we should somehow seperate from the IBT and start over from scratch and call ourselves the IBF.(International Brotherhood of Freight Haulers) This is just a sugestion. Remember that the Teamsters started for a reason, maybe its time to start something better than the IBT. It is time for a change some where.

Maybe we should somehow seperate from the IBT and start over from scratch and call ourselves the IBF.(International Brotherhood of Freight Haulers) This is just a sugestion. Remember that the Teamsters started for a reason, maybe its time to start something better than the IBT. It is time for a change some where.
Heard a rumor they they want to keep thins the same until 2015

The TEXASS TURNCOAT is not doing so well amongst us ABF Teamsters. I wonder why? Maybe it is because he lied to us and we saw what he and his band of clowns did to yrc.

Heard a rumor they they want to keep thins the same until 2015

That, Brother, is one of the proposals I have in mind, when they finally get around to asking us for proposals. Not the" keeping things the same" part, but the 2 year contract part.....2015....which should bring all freight Teamsters back in line together. If we see anything else as far as length of contract coming from the IBT...well, then we know they're not negotiating on our behalf, but on the companies' behalf.

I dont care for extending our deal till 2015 because yrc holds the numbers and personally i think we are better off voting for our deal at this point since they are at 85 % and we are not

I dont care for extending our deal till 2015 because yrc holds the numbers and personally i think we are better off voting for our deal at this point since they are at 85 % and we are not and their best interest i dont believe would be ours since after all they might drag us down

It is a sad reflection upon the Teamsters that they allow Tyson to continue to draw a salary at the International if what everyone says behind closed doors is true about his private meetings with YRC considering the sad status of their contract. However, this isn't a first when in comes to inappropriate behavior being lightly punished within the International. It just doesn't seem like a priority of the rank and file to throw him out on his ass. Too bad.

No matter who negotiates this next contract, I hope the pension contribution on the part of ABF is reduced. Today, as a full time employee my daily pension contribution is $68. When I started in the union 13 years ago, my daily pension contribution was $30. If my math skills are correct, that is an annual increase of over 17%. My pay (hourly and mileage) has increased at an annual rate under 3% in those same 13 years.

Clearly the pension has received the lionshare of our focus in contract negotiations in the last 13 years. And even with all that focus and money, today it is funded to a level around 40%. It is or has killed pretty much every unionized LTL except ABF. I am no longer willing to accept kicking the can down the road hoping for some miracle to happen. I want the burden lifted off ABF before they become another zombie like company similar to YRC. I will not support a contract that doesn't solve our pension funding issue, i.e. simply increasing the pension burden on remaining contributing companies.

It is a sad reflection upon the Teamsters that they allow Tyson to continue to draw a salary at the International if what everyone says behind closed doors is true about his private meetings with YRC considering the sad status of their contract. However, this isn't a first when in comes to inappropriate behavior being lightly punished within the International. It just doesn't seem like a priority of the rank and file to throw him out on his ass. Too bad.

No matter who negotiates this next contract, I hope the pension contribution on the part of ABF is reduced. Today, as a full time employee my daily pension contribution is $68. When I started in the union 13 years ago, my daily pension contribution was $30. If my math skills are correct, that is an annual increase of over 17%. My pay (hourly and mileage) has increased at an annual rate under 3% in those same 13 years.

Clearly the pension has received the lionshare of our focus in contract negotiations in the last 13 years. And even with all that focus and money, today it is funded to a level around 40%. It is or has killed pretty much every unionized LTL except ABF. I am no longer willing to accept kicking the can down the road hoping for some miracle to happen. I want the burden lifted off ABF before they become another zombie like company similar to YRC. I will not support a contract that doesn't solve our pension funding issue, i.e. simply increasing the pension burden on remaining contributing companies.
When I read your post several things make me wonder. You say several things about the pension funding. Remember there are rules that you will not find in our contracts that clearly states how penalties will be applied if there is any change in the pension contributions. Meaning that if we allow the IBT and ABF to alter our pension in any way we will be the big losers all around. Would you like to lose the 13 plus years you have paid into the fund? Would you like to see your Brother Teamsters at ABF lose the payments they have earned due to putting more money into others pockets. We will have choices but we had better damn well be informed on what the cost to us and our fellow Teamsters will be. There are answers but it will have to be hammered out. And I don't see it as coming easy. Not once have I heard where ABF is willing to say they will make our pension whole no matter what.

Gentlemen, I was informed by my Business Agent today at 2:30 that as of 8/15/2012, Tyson Johnson is no longer the head of the negotiating committee for the NMFA. Gordon Sweeton has taken over the negotiating committee. Whether Mr. Johnson remains in some capacity on the committee, I'm not sure. It appears that the IBT finally realizes that many of us regard him as "damaged goods" as far as a negotiator, and that he has lost our confidence in him. First and foremost, I regard myself as a Teamster, and although as a Teamster brother, I don't wish Mr. Johnson ill, I applaud the decision by the IBT to have Mr. Johnson step down and have Mr. Sweeton head the negotiating committee. This is the first step to starting a good negotiation session for our contract. (Could the IBT have been paying attention to the results of your poll, Brother Muler?)

Would you like to lose the 13 plus years you have paid into the fund? Would you like to see your Brother Teamsters at ABF lose the payments they have earned due to putting more money into others pockets. We will have choices but we had better damn well be informed on what the cost to us and our fellow Teamsters will be.

Muler, my numbers on the pension are based on a five day contribution for the week, not six days. My pension numbers were given to me straight from Central States.

Losing the entire accrued pension time is not nearly as important as maintaining my union wage and union healthcare. I understand those retired have a different perspective. I really don't believe it is ABF's responsibility to make whole former teamsters who never worked a day for the Green. YRC is going not out of business anytime soon. However, they are a long way from being a healthy and profitable company. We are not nearly as profitable as our non-union competition. A company like Old Dominion that used to be much smaller than ABF made ten times the profit ABF last quarter. The marketplace will not allow us to continue in the LTL market without substantial changes to our entire operation.

Two questions for you Muler. Do you understand how difficult it is to get a job as a union driver at a non-union company? Would you agree that was not the case 25 years ago when one union company would go out of business and another union company would gladly hire union drivers? Lastly, do you agree or disagree the pension has received the lion-share of gains in our last 4 contracts?

I dont care for extending our deal till 2015 because yrc holds the numbers and personally i think we are better off voting for our deal at this point since they are at 85 % and we are not and their best interest i dont believe would be ours since after all they might drag us down

I see your point, Brother, but our strength is in solidarity and numbers, and over the years, as the number of Union carriers dwindled, and our membership fell, our ability to negotiate good contracts was reduced by the same factor. Now, whether by design or criminal bumbling, the NMFA...once the crown jewel of the IBT, and the model for the UPS and many other contracts......is fractured , and we are very close to having each company negotiate for themselves. The American Trucking Association, The Truckload Carriers Council, and The Chamber of Commerce are all nationally organized.....................and the International BROTHERHOOD of Teamsters is not, anymore, WE, as a Fraternal organization cannot let that happen. The only strength Corporate America fears is strength in numbers, and you can easily tell that by how frantically they move to stave off organization efforts by non-Union people. We can live with a two year contract....who knows?, the economy might implode...or explode...and another 5 year agreement may force economic conditions on us (or the employers...)that don't reflect the national economy and would lock us into something that might choke us. If, in two years we emerge from this with 5 companies with 250,000 strong in the same (rescued) NMFA.....that would be the greatest organizing tool to show the non-Union guys what the power of Solidarity is, and how stupid it is to think you can take on Corporate America all by your little, bitty self. Make or Break Time, Gentlemen.......

I am not sure where the 250000 comes from or who the 5 companies are but yrcw has about 32000 teamsters including regionals and abf has about 10000 teamsters. when it comes to our contract issues the yrcw teamsters are on a different agenda as we are,they would like to get back what they lost or bring us down to their level I dont believe i am the smartest person but I am far from stupid and yes i believe 10000 stong is enough to take on abf and a 5 year contract would help them in 2 years to get a better contract

Gentlemen, I was informed by my Business Agent today at 2:30 that as of 8/15/2012, Tyson Johnson is no longer the head of the negotiating committee for the NMFA. Gordon Sweeton has taken over the negotiating committee. Whether Mr. Johnson remains in some capacity on the committee, I'm not sure. It appears that the IBT finally realizes that many of us regard him as "damaged goods" as far as a negotiator, and that he has lost our confidence in him. First and foremost, I regard myself as a Teamster, and although as a Teamster brother, I don't wish Mr. Johnson ill, I applaud the decision by the IBT to have Mr. Johnson step down and have Mr. Sweeton head the negotiating committee. This is the first step to starting a good negotiation session for our contract. (Could the IBT have been paying attention to the results of your poll, Brother Muler?)
I would like to think that 31 Teamsters could make a stand. But he has been terrible and he should take his many high paying pension and ride off into the sunset. But that is good news Brother THANKS! YOUR BROTHER ALWAYS!

As you can all see Brothers we have different views as to where this upcoming contract should take us. That is good that we can talk about it like men. Some worry more about wages and others pensions and others worry more about solidarity. We will address each point as they arise and I would hope we can come to an agreement for which we can all live with. YOUR BROTHER ALWAYS!

Muler, my numbers on the pension are based on a five day contribution for the week, not six days. My pension numbers were given to me straight from Central States.

Losing the entire accrued pension time is not nearly as important as maintaining my union wage and union healthcare. I understand those retired have a different perspective. I really don't believe it is ABF's responsibility to make whole former teamsters who never worked a day for the Green. YRC is going not out of business anytime soon. However, they are a long way from being a healthy and profitable company. We are not nearly as profitable as our non-union competition. A company like Old Dominion that used to be much smaller than ABF made ten times the profit ABF last quarter. The marketplace will not allow us to continue in the LTL market without substantial changes to our entire operation.

Two questions for you Muler. Do you understand how difficult it is to get a job as a union driver at a non-union company? Would you agree that was not the case 25 years ago when one union company would go out of business and another union company would gladly hire union drivers? Lastly, do you agree or disagree the pension has received the lion-share of gains in our last 4 contracts?
Nobody wants to have to get a new job. But many will not let that fear control what we have to do to get what's fair and best for our family's. As many saw in the BEG BACK vote we made what we felt was an informed vote and it turned out to be just that. But even saying you fear the fact that you would maybe have to seek future employment else where gives the company an edge in negotiations. No our wage package has grown more. But that is not to say that our pension funding has shrunk either. When you talk of our pensions you never make mention of the great pensions our leaders have. They have funded theirs with no problem and that is not even an issue here. The fact that their bonuses hinge mostly on cash flow would make our pension cut or withdrawal would likely assure that they bonus out equaling up to 100% of their salaries. And what would we get for that? Lower if not no pension and that just doesn't sit to well with me. No there will be no going backwards for us. We have to find a common ground that is a win win for all or it will surely be a big loss for ABF! YOUR BROTHER ALWAYS!

I am not sure where the 250000 comes from or who the 5 companies are but yrcw has about 32000 teamsters including regionals and abf has about 10000 teamsters. when it comes to our contract issues the yrcw teamsters are on a different agenda as we are,they would like to get back what they lost or bring us down to their level I dont believe i am the smartest person but I am far from stupid and yes i believe 10000 stong is enough to take on abf and a 5 year contract would help them in 2 years to get a better contract

Well, Brother..maybe 250,000 was wishful thinking. I'd like to see us all back at that point ...and hiring more. I think many of the YRC people I talk to feel like orphans, they don't want to drag us down....they want to be right back up there with us, and they feel that the IBT is providing no leadership to help them do that. And....yes 10,000 strong is a good solid chunk of people.....as long as we all stick together.

Nobody wants to have to get a new job. But many will not let that fear control what we have to do to get what's fair and best for our family's. As many saw in the BEG BACK vote we made what we felt was an informed vote and it turned out to be just that. But even saying you fear the fact that you would maybe have to seek future employment else where gives the company an edge in negotiations. No our wage package has grown more. But that is not to say that our pension funding has shrunk either. When you talk of our pensions you never make mention of the great pensions our leaders have. They have funded theirs with no problem and that is not even an issue here. The fact that their bonuses hinge mostly on cash flow would make our pension cut or withdrawal would likely assure that they bonus out equaling up to 100% of their salaries. And what would we get for that? Lower if not no pension and that just doesn't sit to well with me. No there will be no going backwards for us. We have to find a common ground that is a win win for all or it will surely be a big loss for ABF! YOUR BROTHER ALWAYS!
I'm sure the company doesn't need us to tell them how bad the job market is right now. Any thoughts we have here probably have already been discussed at the Fort. Judy didn't just fall off the turnip truck yesterday. We need to be informed, but also realistic... We can't assume that everything we are told is a lie any more than we should believe it always to be true. Information, not emotions should lead us here. If we can find a way to protect the people who have many years in the current retirement, while assuring a good retirement will be there for the young guys (yes, there are some out there!) we should give it proper consideration rather than just dismissing it out of hand. As long as we are sure we take care of everyone involved from our side, I really don't care what the company gives the executives. All I'm saying is that a negotiation should be just that...

I'm sure the company doesn't need us to tell them how bad the job market is right now. Any thoughts we have here probably have already been discussed at the Fort. Judy didn't just fall off the turnip truck yesterday. We need to be informed, but also realistic... We can't assume that everything we are told is a lie any more than we should believe it always to be true. Information, not emotions should lead us here. If we can find a way to protect the people who have many years in the current retirement, while assuring a good retirement will be there for the young guys (yes, there are some out there!) we should give it proper consideration rather than just dismissing it out of hand. As long as we are sure we take care of everyone involved from our side, I really don't care what the company gives the executives. All I'm saying is that a negotiation should be just that...
Informed is how we voted before and I would hope this time it will be no different.
There will be some news coming out soon about ABF and the IBT. Some of you will be happy and others will not be. But the one thing we will all know is that the IBT withheld information on the matter when they should have released the information to us. Thanks IBT. So far you all are batting 1000 with us ABF Teamsters. YOUR BROTHER ALWAYS!

Saw a copy of the letter sent to IBT today,TM had it on e-mail and made us a copy. Looks like they want to negotiate on their own. BA told us that there will be some questionaires coming in the near future. So lets fill them out and let them know how we feel.

ABF Inc would be asking for a showdown if they want out of the pension for a company 401 of some kind. I doubt Tyson would even discuss it with ABF Inc let alone allow it to a vote. Maybe the IBT is worried you may agree to it