Drivecam

Discussion in 'Saia' started by Bigtea2k4, Feb 7, 2018.

1. Bigtea2k4

Bigtea2k4 Member

2 questions for a current Saia driver. First question: I heard drivers are coming for interviews and saying no thank you to the job offer because of your drivecam policy. Is that true? The second question: are they taking out the drivecam because they can’t get or keep drivers?

2. truckdriver

truckdriver Active Member

1) Yes, a couple of prospective drivers came in for the test drive and found out about drivecam and said " no thanks". They were not told about them during interview. ( That's from the guy that does Road Test )

2) As long as Staver is over safety I don't see them taking the camera's out. If she suddenly retires maybe.....

Last edited: Feb 7, 2018
    murkdonalds and Bigtea2k4 like this.
  3. murkdonalds

murkdonalds New Member

As far as interviews I couldn’t tell you but I highly doubt they’re taking them out, especially with this regime. They took all of our older trucks and gave them to ATL or MPS so every truck we have has a camera.

4. gearraker

gearraker Active Member

How could a driver possibly know what goes on in a interview

5. cracker

cracker Member

Seems like every company is going with some sort of camera. Do they interview over the phone or in person? Are your Linehaul drivers assigned tractors? I guess there are certain things that would make the camera go off?

6. murkdonalds

murkdonalds New Member

Interview in person. Tractor bidding usually varies per terminal but I think all LH have assigned tractors. These trucks have a distance alert that will trigger the camera. Hitting hard bumps, stopping too hard, turning too fast/hard, breathing on it, etc... and yes most companies have cameras but most don’t abuse them like Saia.

7. Bigtea2k4

Bigtea2k4 Member

All of the companies that are using Drivecam are abusing it now and they wonder why they can’t get drivers in the door anymore. I can understand why they want to put drivecam in the trucks but if you write me up for going 65 in a 55 mph zone that’s :horseshit:.

8. White

White Well-Known Member

Right. The trooper passing me in the video didn't seem to care.

Bigtea2k4 likes this.
  9. suicidejockey

suicidejockey Active Member

We had one quit halfway through his training week because of the camera

10. runawaytrain

runawaytrain Wear their scorn with pride.

And we’ve had several that have adapted and love working for SAIA. For every one that quits we have a couple that stay. It’s all about the bottom line for many. The pay and benefits are hard to beat. And many also also understand that all LTL companies have issues and some BS. They are just different.