XPO | Equal pay central and southern DSR's

nobody on our flex knows what they're doing daily(well, maybe the top two or three). The newer flex guys usually run to the FAC in Abilene, in the pos truck. I like the one board seniority, but that flex board is the biggest contributor to the turn-over.

And when they discover they don't have a match on the 401, usually after a few weeks (nobody told them at first), that adds to the departure.

That's the point. If they payed me what they pay you I would go work across the street. I got options. And that equals money.

No you wouldn't, you'd put up with it just like everyone always does when management decides to do whatever they decide to do. Where you gonna go? A union line that's 2 steps away from going under?

Thank God, I'm #5 on flex this year, too low to worry about covering the inbound dock but high enough to come in at a decent time.

This new bid, #1 guy has about 5 years under his belt. I imagine all the day city, inbound and outbound will all be flex before too long to manage hourly time easier.

No you wouldn't, you'd put up with it just like everyone always does when management decides to do whatever they decide to do. Where you gonna go? A union line that's 2 steps away from going under?

Yeah, I would. Most carriers here in Columbus, Ohio are non union. Estes, Saia, PittOhio, Ward are all big revolving doors that pay a little less. Not all that much difference. There are several options to run for Fed-ex. Dayton Freight is a bit smaller. They hire about every spring. Doesn't everyone ? Could always run out of the Wal-mart or Kroger DC's.

Actually, if I left this job I am strongly considering leaving trucking. Things are getting out of hand. To many rules and regulations. And companies are taking an agressive market out on their drivers. Some of these places we deliver don't pay that bad at all. And to be on a heated dock. I could tolerate being spoiled like that.

No different than any driver. I will cross that bridge when I get to it. Doing my best to do my best right here and now. Tomorrow brings what it will.

We were told in a meetingn with our scm that nothern would go on a bonus system whilw we got a raise until we were on a equal pay scale then there bonus would go away... i think the ot after 40 will go away for them along with uniform service....

Also i dont have any complaints about Southern having equal wages as Northern,BUT if that is to be the case then i feel the Metro areas should be on a higher scale seeing what they have to deal with everyday VS the smaller,less congested terminals do..Dont get me wrong as i am not saying one guys job is easier then the next,BUT take a driver that lives/works in a small country area with minimal traffic and throw his ass in say downtown Chicago,Detroit,Atlanta,NY Or any other big city and see how he does......guaranteed his first words will be " I dont know how you guys deal with this every day" So yes i dont mind the equal hourly wage,but a "bonus or Premium" pay for drivers in areas of major traffic,viaduct and pedestrian issues..Now some and most wont agree as this is just my opinion, but to have driver A who lives in bum funk egypt to make the same as Driver B who works say down town Chicago, i think there should be a incentive for him as he has a ton more to watch,worry and manuver around VS driver A who also by the way has a way less cost of living VS Driver B who lives in a metro area...

Also i dont have any complaints about Southern having equal wages as Northern,BUT if that is to be the case then i feel the Metro areas should be on a higher scale seeing what they have to deal with everyday VS the smaller,less congested terminals do..Dont get me wrong as i am not saying one guys job is easier then the next,BUT take a driver that lives/works in a small country area with minimal traffic and throw his ass in say downtown Chicago,Detroit,Atlanta,NY Or any other big city and see how he does......guaranteed his first words will be " I dont know how you guys deal with this every day" So yes i dont mind the equal hourly wage,but a "bonus or Premium" pay for drivers in areas of major traffic,viaduct and pedestrian issues..Now some and most wont agree as this is just my opinion, but to have driver A who lives in bum funk egypt to make the same as Driver B who works say down town Chicago, i think there should be a incentive for him as he has a ton more to watch,worry and manuver around VS driver A who also by the way has a way less cost of living VS Driver B who lives in a metro area...

So what about line hall driver that live in a small city that goes to one of these larger areas should they get more pay? Or these larger city's where the line hall driver comes to a smaller one should they get less pay, like Nashville Tn to Atlanta Ga or Atlanta to Nashville.

Oh I agree with you 110% if you're working out of any metro area you should get more, not just because I do but for all the reasons stated above. I work north of Atlanta and I know I wouldn't make it a day inside the perimeter! No way in hell would I go near NY NJ metro or XGC, prolly not even XDP aside from line driving. Plus the big metros like Chicago, LA, NYC (or anything along the I95 corridor) is way expensive. It costs more to live there so you should get paid more.

We were told in a meetingn with our scm that nothern would go on a bonus system whilw we got a raise until we were on a equal pay scale then there bonus would go away... i think the ot after 40 will go away for them along with uniform service....

I'll believe it when I see it.

I run line haul out of a large metro fac. But don't think I deserve more pay then another Driver. We all work for the same company. Solve the problem and put everyone on the same pay scale..

That's what FedEx does. No one gets paid the same. It's different based on market and region everywhere you go.

They may have different scales but they are all on the same structure (ie o/t). I think s guy that lives in a more expensive area should get a higher hourly wage, but we should all be on the same structure.

That's what FedEx does. No one gets paid the same. It's different based on market and region everywhere you go.

Not a region, but by actual city location.
Region allows for too much variance. If you live in Corbin, Ky, you deserve a competitive wage for that city.
When we were CSE, we were paid by the class size of your terminal. Then all the small terms complained and corporate even things out, just took them s year longed to top out.
.........more G.O. hypocrisy.

Last edited by a moderator:
It comes down to the simple fact that the guys in the south show up for less money. If they didn't, they would raise the pay until the seats were filled.

I don't know about other FACs , but one that our guys run keeps the south drivers squared away in a sector far from the north guys. Supposedly because the pay difference causes friction , and the management doesn't want drivers talking about it.